Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I guess we'll bite the bullet and head to the funiculaire at opening time

It opens at 7:30. What will you do until the cachette or mont blanc open. The cafe in the place of the dead tree is open for breakfast; from there it is a very short walk to the combettes lift.
Thanks for the tip! At least for Friday and Sunday (as Saturday is expected to be quieter).

Although Combettes doesn't take us anywhere useful - we'll take the shortest queue of Cachette or Mont Blanc to reach Vallandry and its Combe.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Not sure what the answer is. Kids off to university in 3 years!!

These lift queues are awful. They are no where near this bad at Christmas (when if they were more than a couple minutes I would simply go elsewhere) or New Year where I was really fed up with queues of 5 minutes.

@martinperry, Next year try going at Easter. It is earlier than this year, early April, and the skiing is usually good in Les Arcs then. 20 minute queues are unacceptable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After a nice sunny day the bad weather was back again today,
It snowed down to the valley floor for a short while which meant above 1600m we had some nice powder. The visibility was quite poor most of the day and with the snow also came the wind in some areas. Tomorrow should be another powder day if it stays cold and the higher lifts open. Lower down the snow was already becoming heavy by the mid afternoon.

The fresh snow helped to improve the pistes and even some of the icy patches off piste have started to transform. There were very few lift queues today due to the weather. But if you dressed for the weather the skiing was still good.

Despite the wind and poor visibility they still ran the Les Arcs Safety Day at the top of the Transarc. The dogs did a good demonstration and you were able to try various demo skis. The pisteurs ran some transceiver training sessions and although not as busy as last year, it was still a good event. Just a pity about the weather.

I hope you enjoy the photos from today of some of the areas we skied over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Fresh tracks in some places although the poor light made it quite difficult to avoid the holes. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Fingers crossed for the sunshine they are promising tomorrow! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok.
I retract it all!
Today was absolutely stunning. Clear blue skies and pistes in amazing condition all day.
850 @ cachette first on, then fresh tracks all the way down.
Followed by 50 miles ( including lifts) ending at the new folie doux in 1800
Strangely, lift queues were remarkably controlled all day with only a couple of 10 minute incidents. Planning was essential.
Also, a great new addition is a lovely indoor picnic area just above Marmottes.
We've used it every day this week at 215 pm. It's mobbed before that mind!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok so after 1/2 only...

Yes horrendous queues but (1) amazing weather and (2) fresh powder (it snowed Wednesday), sometimes even untracked, up there.

Lower down, plenty of fun in the forest, including under the chairlifts. Obviously there anything exposed was soup, or the usual ice rink by end of day. But overall...

Welll overall we can't wait for tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What an amazing last two days. Powder and blue sky. What more can I ask for. Well one thing, not the crazy long lift queues everyday to get up onto the Bellecote Glacier. It took us nearly two hours again today from the Funicular, but it was worth the effort.

For the past two days we have made the trip over to the Bellecote Glacier. Fresh tracks everywhere and some very nice snow, but also mixed in some places.

I will not go into all the details of the off piste we skied, please check out the photos. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

The pistes on the way across Les Arcs and La Plagne to reach the Bellecote Glacier were rather busy and the lift queues were large in most places, but we made it and had fun days out only getting back as the lifts closed.

In the mornings most pistes were firm, but with a nice layer of softer snow to make turning easier, although the lower pistes did have icy patches. By late afternoon most pistes were polished and you needed to work your edges to avoid sliding. The Red Cachette piste down to Arc 1600 is a challenge for those a little worried about holding their turns. But master this piste and you will feel secure on most other pistes.

One thing for us all to remember, stay in control and avoid collisions. I saw three on the short stretch of piste between the bottom of the Derby and the Transarc in Arc 1800 today. It is level 2 risk 'off piste', but 'on piste' I would call it level 4 risk right now! It is busy!

I hope you all have a good holiday for those arriving and it has been fun this past week skiing with those just about to leave. I hope you all have a safe drive. The roads were very busy going down the valley tonight. Tomorrow is a black day for the roads. Stay safe and try not to get stressed!

Please do check out the photos on the Les Arcs Winter page if you want to see what current conditions are like.

Remember if you need your skis serviced for the current conditions or want to rent skis or snowboards. Go to Polaire Star ski shop at the bottom of the funicular in Bourg or book online. They have some great gear for rent.
https://www.polairestar.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love those pictures, I'm heading out tomorrow for a week in Arc 2000, looking at the weather forecast it'll bright hot, sunny start followed by a proper cold spell and lots of pow-pow! Here's hoping the crowds have died down a little, and the wind isnt too bad Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TheGingerPrince, week 3 of half term is usually quieter than the first 2 weeks so it should be better, but still pretty busy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, in a typical year, isn't it weeks 1 and 4 that are quieter than weeks 2 and 3, because only half as many French will be present? This coming week will no longer have Paris children, but will have added those from Zone A (including Lyons, Dijon etc).

Admittedly the Brits there for half term may have gone home.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ecureuil, Week 4 is a lot quieter, but you are correct 3 is slightly busier than 1, but this is entirely based upon what my rental agents charge for a weeks accoomodation in my apartment. I take the advice of my neighbour and stay away for the first 3 weeks.

The Brits make up only a small fraction of the visitors to Arc 1600
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friday was incredibly busy, and after Saturday's relative quietness on the lifts I am dreading today. Yes one region is no longer on hols (Paris) but local kids are now on hols. There were funicular-loads of new arrivals at 1600 in the evening.

Pisteurs (above 1800) told me the week was the worse they had experienced in terms of accidents. The new Club Med in 1600 and its 1000+ beds would be partly to blame for the influx.

Having said that... more safe in-domain off piste, more races in the forest, more discoveries, an amazing playground for the kids... We will definitely be back!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jumps in the Les Arcs Snowpark yesterday, tree skiing and a few pistes then today one more unexpected powder day. And even fresh tracks!

The Freestyle Ski camp over Half Term Week was a hit with the youngsters. If you have any young skiers or Snowboarders that need to be challenged this is a good way to inspire them to learn more. The teenagers that took part this week are even keen to do it again! Result! Congrats to Arc 1800 ESF and Anthony their Instructor for making this work! If anyone wants any info about this Freestyle Camp send me a PM.

Then today after the youngsters had left we headed back to the Bellecote. Although it was not knee deep, we still found some nice powder high up on the Bellecote and places to put fresh tracks.

It is another busy week so stay safe on the pistes and keep aware of all those around you. Collisions hurt! The pistes are becoming quite polished in places and very firm most of the day. However where the sun does it's job we did find softer snow late in the afternoon. Although we did not see many big lift queues today where we went I was told by friends that after mid morning the queues were back. Oh well, the joys of skiing in high season!

The Off piste is well tracked in most places, but there are still some nice areas around where you can put down fresh lines with a little effort to reach them.
I hope those that have just arrived have a good week. I will post again later in the week.

Enjoy the photos from the last couple of days. Go to the Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forecast looks incredible for this week - snowing from Tuesday to Saturday!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a great day out on the hill today. It was bloody busy though. Queues for everything, super busy on the pistes, mahoosive queue (50 min) for the top cable car at one point.
But the sun was shining, the weather was warm, my beer is cold, and the forecast for tomorrow night looks awesome. Even managed some off piste turns that hadn't been tracked out or destroyed by the temps. I'm in arc 2000 till sunday so I just hope the wind isn't too severe when the storm comes in.
Glad I brought my fat skis and pow board Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, does anyone know if there is a pool in Arc 2000 which the public can get access to? Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@Allinclusive, pretty certain there isn't - unless the Taj i Mah hotel allows pay-per-use guests in?
snow conditions
@Allinclusive, Some Arc 2000 residences have their own pools. Eg Cime des Arcs and Source des Arcs You can pay to use Taj i Mah but it is around £25 for 2 hours from memory. You can also pay to use the Deep Nature spa in 1950 but that is more jacuzzis etc than swimming.
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
@Allinclusive, Some Arc 2000 residences have their own pools. Eg Cime des Arcs and Source des Arcs You can pay to use Taj i Mah but it is around £25 for 2 hours from memory. You can also pay to use the Deep Nature spa in 1950 but that is more jacuzzis etc than swimming.

The pool in La Cime is about 4 foot wide.
latest report
Proper stormy conditions out on the hill today in arc 2000 lovely pow laps down in villa roger, with some truly great snow, but poor vis as soon as you get out of the trees. Some big bombs going off, so the pisteurs are doing all they can to get it as safe as they can.
Biggest surprise was the lack of crowds! The bars must be killing it as the lifts were deserted.
That said, there are still icey patches where the wind is scouring the new snow off, hopefully the forecast snow and lighter winds for tomorrow appear. Friday is looking like a sunny and probably epic day. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hoping to be in Les Arcs 1950 next week however I will be without skis as it seems the TO has no more ski carriage spaces available Sad

Would like to book ski hire online in advance to take advantage of the discounts but it is hard to see who has what available for hire... specifically looking for something +/- 110mm underfoot to use, any suggestions of which shops will have an appropriate range including these?

Anyone know which manufactures as stocked by whom?

As I don't normally hire... what "standard" do I need to choose to access these? Or as long as I choose a reasonable level ski, "black"/"performance" or whatever they want to call it option and then specifically ask for off piste skis I should be ok?
ski holidays
TJ1 wrote:
Hoping to be in Les Arcs 1950 next week however I will be without skis as it seems the TO has no more ski carriage spaces available Sad

Would like to book ski hire online in advance to take advantage of the discounts but it is hard to see who has what available for hire... specifically looking for something +/- 110mm underfoot to use, any suggestions of which shops will have an appropriate range including these?

Anyone know which manufactures as stocked by whom?

As I don't normally hire... what "standard" do I need to choose to access these? Or as long as I choose a reasonable level ski, "black"/"performance" or whatever they want to call it option and then specifically ask for off piste skis I should be ok?

Fedex your skis.

https://www.luggagemule.co.uk/what-can-i-ship/ski-shipping/
ski holidays
@TJ1, welcome to our village.
As the words of wisdom in "snog marry avoid" would have it, no hire shops in 1950 I'd avoid , but neither none I'd marry. Probably best of the bunch is SkiShop Arc1950 next door to the ESF. We tend to buy our accessories in there (helmets, gloves etc.) , and the team seem quite knowledgeable.

However, most long term visitors and owner in the village would recommend (and use!) Equilibres up in 2000: http://www.arc2000-ski-rental.com/ This is quite a small shop run for locals by locals ( but speak good English). They'll advise you rather than nodding at your sage words then palming you off with what's left on the shelf. They also allow you to try different types of skis during the week within the context of the conditions.

That's where we've bought the family skis and will continue to do so.

HTH
ski holidays
Thanks @Arctic Roll, @snowymum and @thefatcontroller
snow conditions
Thanks @Arctic Roll

What any suggestions of good local restaurants serving quality (and preferably plentiful) local food?
snow conditions
@TJ1,

Breakfast - you can't beat the WoodBear Cafe. Seb and his chef do some mean bagels ( scambled egg, salmon, etc.), or a full English.

Lunchtime restaurant best value in the domain is The Bulle (aka the Mushroom) next to Arcabulle lift. Will get busy though. Highly recommend the Fruits de Mer.
Our other favourite is the Chalet Pre St Esprit - at the bottom of the hill. They do both waiter service and cafeteria options. The owner, Phillipe, is a hospitable guy.

For evenings in 1950, they are all much of a muchness - The Savoyoard probably the best option for volume food, the Table de Lys for a 'special' meal - (I suspect we'll be there for our wedding anniversary).
The Savoy up in 2000 is nice, as is the 2134 Rooftop - we like visting both.
But as with all things, restaurants come and go (we've two new owner / operators in 1950 this season, Chalet Luigi and Vache Rouge, so difficult to cite based solely on previous experience) and individual preferences will vary!
snow report
Quote:

Lunchtime restaurant best value in the domain is The Bulle (aka the Mushroom) next to Arcabulle lift.

I beg to disagree. I think the Vanoise Hotel in Peisey is the best value. The Bulle sea food platter is indeed a magnificent dish
ski holidays
@johnE, OK - I'll concede that it's PDG over at the hotel.
ski holidays
Can I throw in another idea for anyone self catering. i have no link to this company but we used them in January 1st time, back next week and will use again. Its very handy, much easier than cooking yorself and cheaper than eating out

https://hu.ski/

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150104&highlight=
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, The huskis prices don't look too bad either. Their prices are not a lot more than I budget per day per person, but their's doesn't include wine nibbles and other drinks. Their adverts are posted over all the notice boards in our apartment block.

Do you use them every day or just occaiionally?
latest report
johnE wrote:
@thefatcontroller, The huskis prices don't look too bad either. Their prices are not a lot more than I budget per day per person, but their's doesn't include wine nibbles and other drinks. Their adverts are posted over all the notice boards in our apartment block.

Do you use them every day or just occaiionally?

We bought 3 evenings worth. Cheaper than eating out and way quicker. I wouldn’t do every night but great alternative, portions were good, I’m greedy and a 2 was plenty for 2 of us. Bulked with with veg and bread but great quality.
snow report
Any advice on getting from Bourg railway station up to Arc 1800 after the funicular is shut? I’m on today’s Eurostar and we’re delayed so won’t get to Bourg until after 9pm. Are there options other than getting a taxi at that time of day?
latest report
@rob@rar, When I arrived at that time the taxi was the only option, but that was on a Sunday. On a Saturday the last funicular is at 9 pm. May I suggest booking one now rather than waiting until the train arrives. if you can get 5 or so of you together the price may not be that bad
snow conditions
@johnE, thanks John, I thought that might be the case. Frustratingly we are due to get to Bourg just after 9pm (rather than 7pm) as we were diverted to Gare du Nord for a replacement Eurostar train as ours developed a fault.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, If you don't know a taxi this is the one we use, worth phoning.

+33614182611

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Aarthur-Taxi-Transfert-Bourg-saint-maurice-299128297477004/about/?ref=page_internal
latest report
@thefatcontroller, thanks, that’s the company I’ve just sent a booking request to. Mobile phone signal is hopeless at the moment, so I’ve completed the online form on their website.
snow report
@rob@rar, We used http://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, We used http://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/

Same as me. Arthur has sold up, David now runs, good guy.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I’ve messaged him on WhatsApp to tell him to check his web forms
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
That is so helpful! He’s just got in touch and confirmed a taxi for me (after originally saying he was fully booked when he first replied to my enquiry). Most grateful.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
That is so helpful! He’s just got in touch and confirmed a taxi for me (after originally saying he was fully booked when he first replied to my enquiry). Most grateful.

He messaged me back to say he has got it and you’re sorted. Was just a little worried as webforms can get missed. Safe travels, enjoy the week, looks an amazing forecast. We arrive next Saturday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy