Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suggestions - Austria - March 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok looking for suggestions please....

A couple who are both "advanced skiers" arriving into Munich on 29th Feb for 2 weeks, looking at two different locations. My wife sticks to the piste but i will wonder a bit further but unlikely to be doing BIG off piste as i have a seperate trip in Jan for that.

looking for somwhere to keep us busy for a week but more than happy to ski the same run muliptle times or link to another area by train, so resorts will circa 100km are fine.

We have skied a fair bit over the years and in particular the zillertal valley where we got married, will be looking for a hotel half board with a spa.

we have skied:

Zillertal - (mayrhofen) love it have been back 10 times and going back again this year.
St Johann (kitz) - liked the small local hill as it was quiet but the town was a bit rubbish as no ski atmosphere but enjoyed the link to Kitz.
Kirchberg - enjoyed the skiing again in the Kitz area and particular the link over to Westendorf but no real apres which was a bit disapointing.
Soll - ejoyed it
Selva Val gardena - loved the skiing and the food but apart from 1 bar very little nightlife, we like a bit of live music after dinner, went to the ice hockey / ski show etc, loved that.
Chamoix - found the skiing great but the lifts are stupidly old for the price, thought it was very poor value. food and drink very mad expensive but agian Ice hockey was great.

Thinking a week in Saalbach / Hinterglemm but dont know which village and then another week somwhere else but dont know where, We will have a car so can travel. Any suggestions
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@enduroaid, PM me your email address and I’ll send you my comprehensive guide to Saalbach.
Re the choice of village, you can’t really go wrong, but if you want the most central and convenient location, as well as the most attractive village centre and the liveliest apres-ski, go for Saalbach. The upper part of the village, near the Kohlmaisbahn or Bernkogelbahn gondola stations is the best place to be.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Amade, but I would say that. Base yourselves in Flachau or Altenmarkt and ski a different resort every day. https://www.skiamade.com/en/winter
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have not been to the Arlberg you should go, it is the best ski area in Austria. St Anton is not ideal for nervous near beginners but that does not seem to be an issue for you. The two main locations are St Anton and Lech (there are other villages too). St Anton is livelier and has some really top skiing, Lech is more refined (ie expensive) and has more blue and red pistes. The skiing in each is easily accessed from the other location. The off piste is clearly a big thing but some of the best runs (eg Madloch in Lech/Zürs, Schindlerkar in St Anton) are nominally "ski routes" but actually pistes to all intents and purposes. The apres in St Anton stretches from the odd quiet bar to "legendary" spots like Mooserwirt and Krazy Kangaroo. If budget is an issue look at staying in Pettneu, very easy to access St Anton, even the nightlife but somewhat cheaper village with a few bars and restaurants of its own. Some really beautiful scenery around Lech and Zürs. Another good place is Ischgl, I am not keen on the "village" but plenty of nightlife and a really good skiing area. Easy to combine a week in one of these more westerly resorts with somewhere more easterly like Saalbach or Ski Amade.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
panaga52 wrote:
Ski Amade, but I would say that. Base yourselves in Flachau or Altenmarkt and ski a different resort every day. https://www.skiamade.com/en/winter

Agreed re Flachau...not Altenmarkt so much for apres and nightlife
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Enduroaid, sounds like you would love Saalbach. Highly recommend the Hotel Kristiana at top of village, good location, food, rooms and service. At the bottom of village the Alpinresort and spa is great, quite expensive but has the pool and is all inclusive re drinks. Hotel sonne between saalbach and hinterglemm is great also, but not ideal if you want central location, but a short walk into Saalbach and they provide free transport all day until about 6pm to and from the lifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ribblevalleyblue thank you for the suggestions, its a great help when trying to decide on a particular location within a village, we are not against being away from it all but the hotel we had in Selva (La Pineta) which i would strongly recommed was a bit far out and up a side road which meant it wasnt the best for the ski bus or apres.

@munich_irish, I would love to go to St Anton but it just seems to be price++ on the rest of austria for hotels etc.

I considered staying in Solden and doing solden / hochgurgl / obergurgl, appreciate it would be a car / bus ride. my only concern was the height, my wife isnt great with skiing above 3000m....when we ski hintertux we only make 1 or 2 trips to the top and mostly ski from the tuxerfernahaus and below
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@enduroaid, I agree that the location of accommodation is possibly more important than even the choice of resort. I’m sure that most of us have experienced the delight of being able to ski from and back to the doorstep of our accommodation, with no walking around in ski boots, and without the hassle of catching ski buses.
Looking back over my years of skiing, it makes me realise that the location of the accommodation is one of the main factors that makes me either smile with nostalgia or grimace at the memory of slogging along tarmac or waiting for crowded buses.
I would go so far as to say that hiking to the lift put a shadow over holidays to St Anton and Badgastein, whereas holidays to St Martin de Belleville and Vallandry/Les Arcs were made all the more memorable (in a good way) by the ski convenience of the accommodation.
Catching buses between skiing areas was an absolute hassle in Zermatt. Val d’Isere, Serre Chevalier, Cervinia, and Mayrhofen also involved too much walking for my taste. I could probably think of others.
In some resorts you have to download on a lift and then sometimes catch a bus or taxi, or get in a hire car. So much hassle, compared with ski-in ski-out.
In my current home resort of Saalbach, there is one luxury hotel that markets itself as having the ability for guests to ski right into the boot room! I have noticed that the impressions and feedback that one reads about a resort are very often coloured by the convenience of the accommodation. In Saalbach there is a world of difference between staying next a lift station or the main pistes in the upper part of the village, and along the main valley road, where much of the accommodation is located.
The bottom line is do your research - there is plenty of ski-in ski-out accommodation to be found (and Snowheads is probably the best place to ask for advice about particular places you might be considering), and it really does put the icing on the cake in my experience.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Turn right.

Verbier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@whitegold.

I skied in Verbier with a friend a couple of years ago and i cannot deny that for the views and the skiing and in particular the value for money in the lift infrastructre its bloody awesome....but as i'm skiing with my wife this trip we are looking for a hotel, half board with a pool and/or spa and that in Verbier is way too much money.

when I skied it, it was a proper cheap boys trip, shoe box self catering appartment, pasta and tomato sauce for dinner every night, sandwiches on lifts for lunch and beers in boxes brought up from the super market in the valley.....not what my wife is looking for haha
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

....but as i'm skiing with my wife this trip we are looking for a hotel, half board with a pool and/or spa and that in Verbier is way too much money.

A good, money-saving compromise is to self-cater in a resort that has hotels that welcome non-residents to use their Wellness facilities. We had a couple staying with us some years ago, who spent their week alternating between apres-skiing one night and “detoxing” (as they put it) in the wellness suite of the hotel next door the next night. One of them even taught herself to do racing turns in the swimming pool, which, after a skinfull of jaegertees and gluhweins the previous evening, struck me as impressive!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@enduroaid,
I have not read the whole of this threads but I would say Kitz .. then you could catch the train to Zell am See.
or Leogang.
Or go the other way to Landeck and ski the Serfaus Area ( I must admit I've not been there yet, but its on my bucket list)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish Often used to weekend it in Pettnau...
We used to stay at Frau Fueirstein's ... Yes the Flint Stones.
We always had a yabadaba doo time Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
enduroaid wrote:

@munich_irish, I would love to go to St Anton but it just seems to be price++ on the rest of austria for hotels etc.

No doubt there are a number of places where it is better not to be worrying how much the bill is going to be. However there are still plenty of places with the same sort of prices as any of the other main Austrian resorts. Wanting a pool/spa does narrow down the options but there are still places. Pettneu has a Wellness centre with a large pool, it is included in the cost of most of the local accommodation. Last year I stayed in a very nice 3 star hotel, newly renovated with its own sauna and relaxation area, excellent breakfast buffet (I dont go for half board but the food looked good). Half board high season around €90 / person /night. Really easy access to the Nasserein lifts from a bus stop just in front (just as easy as many places actually in St Anton). Plenty of other similar hotels. Just seen another place around the corner offering a week in early March including 6 days skipass for €950 per person

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 18-10-19 19:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Then there's Badgastein with its "Felsentherme", and Kaprun with the "Tauernspa" - large swimming/spa/sauna complexes on a grand scale
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy