Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
WOW
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for that Kitenski Cool
I think that was the year they couldn’t dig out the Main basin lifts at Glencoe until late May. When they did they opened for ........summer skiing Shocked

After that winter they raised the height of some of the lower main basin button pylons. You can still see the extra sections added to the top of the first three pylons of the button lift Laughing

Yet another cloudless day. The snow is gradually going but everything still skiable above the plateau. I assume the plateau poma tow track is broken by now.

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A nice video of past seasons at the Coe including some in June!

http://youtube.com/v/_MOgG8sx7qw
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Thanks for that Kitenski
I think that was the year they couldn’t dig out the Main basin lifts at Glencoe until late May. When they did they opened for ........summer skiing
Indeed! We skied there on extensive cover in Whit Week - they actually advertised as being open for summer skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good grief I think I can see a hint of cloud on the webcam Shocked

edit; Nope gone now Cool

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/nevisrange/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great pics kitenski. Remember going two years running (if my memory serves me right) around same time for may bank holiday skiing at Nevis Range. Place deserted both times.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would have been a scintillating season except the damned virus
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Clouds Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing at Nevis and Glencoe as front pushes North this evening. -2.5°c at top of CairnGorm, will get some later. More snow fallen than visible on bare ground as it has warmed up. Could be a few inches on existing base.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.facebook.com/203546429684789/posts/3020457367993667/?vh=e
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-52517400

'kinell.............
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
(Sigh rolling eyes )
S'that Mr Murphy, Mr Sod or..???
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You folks will enjoy these.

Old stuff from the 1980s.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152614#4585571

https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/outdoors/celebrating-30-years-of-adventure-at-the-nevis-range/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
finally got around to editing my video from early March!

http://youtube.com/v/Ov5_NjiSDTc
latest report
Ooh. Nice one!
I do find the sphericalness (Real word?) of the max a bit disorientating. The sound recording quality is brilliant though: I couldn't hear any wind.
What an astonishing (little) season it was! I'm so glad to have made it up there before the lockdown. Thanks for putting that up - it took me right back and has me looking forward again to next year!
snow conditions
So now we can drive as far as the Scottish border.

What a shambles... Confused
snow report
Noticed a cheeky lockdown breaker skinning up the Wall at Glencoe yesterday on the webcams. No doubt they were "staying alert" in that public outdoor location. So that's OK then.... oh, hold on. No that is Scotland, they should have been "staying at home". Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Main basin, Spring run and the Canyon all still complete and sunny. The season would easily have reached through to last weekend Sad

Looks as though the weather is about to change however back to something a little wetter.

It’s also been bone dry here in North Yorkshire for months as well. Looks like there may be a return to more familiar less settled weather towards the end of May.

With the reopening of ‘socially distanced sports’ on Wednesday we are now permitted to ski again in England, but not in Scotland Sad
snow report
Quote:
With the reopening of ‘socially distanced sports’ on Wednesday we are now permitted to ski again in England, but not in Scotland
Yep, just great isn't it Peter S rolling eyes ....Still, you've always got your angling to fall back on... Laughing
ski holidays
I have been looking through my backup photos going back to 2003. I was looking for the ones I printed out on my wall, which seem to have faded due to the photo paper used. (and the daylight which shines on them). I found some of them dated between 2007/2008 and here are a few.

Having lunch with Big Ben in 2007:

Stunning day in March 2008 in Glenshee, the lifts kept going into the night!

latest report
@Bigtipper, I've also had some nice long days at Glenshee earlier in the season, when lifts opened at 8am and / or carried on into semi-darkness. But to be skiing into the night in March is pretty impressive! What time must it have been?
snow conditions
Beautiful
latest report
@denfinella, the photo was in the wrong folder. Looks like it was taken on 11/1/2008 at 16:07 with a HP photosmart 43x series. So that might explain the nightime skiing. (although I do not hold any great credibility with the dates and times on cameras as often I have the incorrect time and date on them)

1/68 sec exposure time suggests it was reasonably dark given the f stop of f/4.

It was the Nevis range photo which was taken on 22/3/2007 at 15:26, with a 1/1156 sec exposure time.
snow report
@Bigtipper, that photo brings back fond memories - of Lapland Laughing Well, it's all the dark and frozen North, ain't it..?
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, ah, that makes more sense. I've got a similar photo taken from the top of Sunnyside at Glenshee. 16:53 (!) on 19/12/2011 in a snowstorm and near darkness, except for the camera flash lighting up the falling snow and the distant lights of the base centre!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
finally got around to editing my video from early March!

http://youtube.com/v/Ov5_NjiSDTc

Good vid.

Need to carve those edges a bit harder, tho wink
snow conditions
What chance of a mid summer ski at Glencoe this year. I'd written it off but I wonder if there is a glimmer of hope ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^^ Only if you are within 5 miles of the slopes under current arrangements - so landlord of the Kings House Hotel only at present... rolling eyes
snow conditions
A copy/paste from today's Sunday Times because of the pay-wall

The last patch of snow in England was no match for the sunniest spring since records began in 1929. On Friday morning, in a remote gully in the Lake District, a lick of gravel-flecked ice melted into a trickle and was gone.

For a moment Iain Cameron, 46, felt a profound sense of loss. Since he first caught sight of a “necklace of snow” around the summit of Ben Lomond as a nine-year-old, Cameron has been dedicated to searching out the patches of snow that hold out the longest against the march of the seasons.

On Friday, as much of the rest of the country prepared to enjoy a weekend of barbecue weather, it was time for Cameron to declare a victor.

Great End, an outlier in the range of mountains around Scafell Pike, England’s highest peak at 3,210ft, had held on to snow for two days longer than its nearest rival, Brown Cove on Helvellyn, 3,120ft, another Lakeland peak.

William Wordsworth immortalised Brown Cove in his poem Fidelity, describing it as “A cove, a huge recess, / That keeps, till June, December’s snow”. It can be seen from the town of Penrith, 14 miles away. As recently as a week ago, the snow appeared deep enough to survive beyond the end of May, but, as the sun continued to shine, its more exposed position counted against it.

In the past decade, Brown Cove was the last place to shelter snow in four years, Great End three times and the Cheviot, in the North Pennines, twice.

Cameron is not a mountaineer — he suffers from vertigo — but is so dedicated that in one summer alone he undertook 45 trips to check on the state of the snow.

His honeymoon with his first wife had to be postponed, Cameron says, because he had to tramp through the Scottish Highlands to conduct his regular audit at the beginning of July. He will remarry next year.

Cameron compares visiting snow patches to checking up on elderly relatives. They may look a bit more weathered than on the previous visit but are still recognisable. “If they look healthier than you expect, you feel fantastic,” he said.

The last snow in Wales melted on an outlier of Snowdon on April 20, so Cameron’s attention will now switch to the Scottish Highlands. Garbh Choire Mor on Braeriach in the Cairngorms, the closest thing the UK has to a glacier, is expected to keep its snow all summer. It has only melted half a dozen times in the past 300 years.

Field trips still come to the Cairngorms to study the impact of glaciation on Coire an t-Sneachda but the Ordnance Survey has removed a special symbol that it used to use to mark a “curved wreath” of a snow field on Ben More near Crianlarich.

Cameron is an amateur but his recordings are sufficiently professional for the Royal Meteorological Society to have published his annual reports since 2005, taking over from his mentor, Adam Watson.

Cameron’s eccentric pastime put him into contact with Peter Johnson, the late uncle of the prime minister, who shared pictures with him, showing that in 1979 there was still enough winter snow for skiing in July on Cross Fell, which at 2,930ft is the highest hill in the Pennines. The final traces of that drift did not disappear until August 18. Boris Johnson broke off from the Brexit campaign trail in 2016 to attend the funeral in the Lake District.

It can be hard to detect trends, such are the vagaries of Britain’s maritime climate.

In 2013, snow lasted until July 2 in England but it was all gone by April 13 in 2017. Nonetheless, Cameron says “there’s no question” that the climate is changing.

“The rate of disappearance is accelerating without question. What the causes of climate change are, that’s for others to discuss.”

His hobby, too, has changed over the years, as fellow enthusiasts upload pictures on to social media. A Facebook group dedicated to snow patches has about 2,500 followers. Cameron says: “The days of drones being programmed and sent out from 20 miles away, are nearly upon us.

“Once that technology becomes available I would certainly use it because in 20 years’ time I will not be able to go to the far reaches of the Cairngorms and do what I am doing.

“I’d love a younger version of me to come along to continue, but that might be wishful thinking.

“Climate changes may mean there are no more snow patches to look at that in August or even July.

“But whatever happens you can be sure that I will be the first to know, because I will always be doing this.”
ski holidays
@rungsp, Thanks for that, the link on Facebook wasn’t working.
latest report
Thanks for posting that Rungsp. I remember the skiing on the 2nd July 1979. I recall being able to see the snow from the M6 until late August, later than the 18th but I may well be mistaken. The item got into the centre pages of the Daily Mail. One of the Carlisle clubs best skiers, John Graham, who was inspirational to me, was part of the team of 4 skiing in the Kirkland Gulley. This followed the awesome winter of 1979 where a massive long fetch easterly in February and March had deposited snow up to 40 feet deep in places, on the west side of the Pennine escarpment. It doesn’t say in the article but I wonder if one of those skiers was Boris’ uncle ? Perhaps more likely he was a Daily Mail reader Laughing
latest report
In a similar vein, Helen's streak has been ended by Covid-19 Sad

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/outdoors/hilly-sets-new-record-125-months-skiing-scottish-snow-2869747?fbclid=IwAR2KyXzPB7PQDbIv8o507x_cqUnV-ifGDYoFtdsyZgEhZ4lfqw-lp2gqL6M
snow report
Now looking like any Scotland tourism/facilities will not open before mid July.

So that appears to be that for any midsummer slides.... rolling eyes

Roll on next winter. If there is a (snow) God, the season will get underway in October Very Happy
snow conditions
there was a brief video posted of two guys snowboarding Glencoe last week which looked pretty good! They took it down after a bit of feedback
latest report
Just picked up on this via an Instagram feed. National Trust Scotland are trying to raise money to fill the enormous gap in their funding due to the lockdown.

https://www.nts.org.uk/donate
snow conditions
Couldn't resist a look at the Glencoe cams... Half wanted to find the snow gone - but it's not... Sad

Cover for the midsummer-slide next weekend would have been about as good as it gets - more akin to early to mid May in a normal year...

But this is no normal year... rolling eyes

And the Goose is still looking decent at Nevis Range too.
ski holidays
some fascinating footage Glencoe (1939 - 1994)!

Glencoe (1939 - 1994) from Doug Bryce
https://vimeo.com/16034266
snow report
There's still a snow patch on Buachaille Etive Mor right down at 450m above sea level, according to Glencoe's Facebook page. Not bad for July.
ski holidays
Great video from Doug Bryce via Kitenski. Looks like Glencoe has always attracted some top skiers Cool

Another retrospective from this season Which shows just how good conditions were getting towards the shut down.

http://youtube.com/v/_5y0BjiqrIg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy