Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Peter S wrote:
Interesting to note that the golf courses are still open Laughing

Not now, per BBC
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
" The question now is: which resorts, if any, will survive? "

Bar the Cairngorm question, it is an ideal time (IF Government or crowdfunding/membership/low interest rate loan financing is available) to ramp them up, update facilities (Coe has benefitted from the fire, imho, by having a much larger car park and better-placed and more easily accessible base station facilities - evident even over the last few weeks), update lifts etc. For those able to access the delights of Scottish skiing, I see a bright future (weather permitting), especially as there may be some trepidation in foreign travel (never mind potential increased costs, lack of airlines, TOs and accommodations etc).
Invest in them and the returns will be there - the massive attendances just before the shut-downs attest to the interest that there is. Faster lifts, higher capacity, etc, will make them even more attractive.
Now, whether that's a good thing for the 'locals' and frequent visitors, of course, is another matter. But then again, I think that the innate joys of Scottish skiing and weather is always going to self limit them to a degree.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

the innate joys of Scottish skiing

Happy days, & not a helmet in sight Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/xD7-brUuEHM
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For those with an interest in the history of Cairngorm skiing or some memories of it I can recommend the book ‘Struan’ about Carl Fuchs and his hotel in Carrbridge which became a Scottish/Austrian skiing institution From the 1950s through to the late 1970s.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What a great little film Geoffers thankyou. It sent me down a vintage ski footage rabbit hole for over an hour though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

sent me down a vintage ski footage rabbit hole for over an hour

Whatever you do don't venture down the "snow plow trains" rabbit hole Smile
http://youtube.com/v/LhCDKyJhzJE
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must

Look

Away....!

That's mad stuff. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S wrote:
For those with an interest in the history of Cairngorm skiing or some memories of it I can recommend the book ‘Struan’ about Carl Fuchs and his hotel in Carrbridge which became a Scottish/Austrian skiing institution From the 1950s through to the late 1970s.

Stayed at Struan House in the late 70's (now derelict) -- possibly the first 'all inclusive' ski holiday ? :: They provided all you needed for a Ski holiday ; Bed/Board/Equipment/Lessons and transport to the slopes.

Bar in the evenings was Fun..

=====

Another video of Aviemore in the 70's from the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/aviemore-skiing-weekend/zvj9vk7
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
albob,

That's a great video. Very Happy Thanks.

We have a real soft spot for Scottish skiing, as Cairngorm was where it all began for us in 1985. 5 days of lessons (from The Scottish Norwegian Ski School), equipment rental and beginners lift pass for £54 pp. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great stuff Albob. 1970, the field in front of the Stakis hotel Aviemore, was my first time on skis. Happy memories (just about!). Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Turning much colder over the next week with some light snow on the Scottish hills and in northern England. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It doesn't matter whether it getting colder and snowing or not. We can't go out!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
True. But this is the snow report page and we can still report on it to appreciate what we are missing snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair dos Peter S Very Happy

What's keeping my spirits up is hoping (against hope Puzzled ) that this will be sorted in a few months - in time for there to be some snow left (patches will do!) for some summer turns in Scotland... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, I hope you have been checking this site out https://www.facebook.com/groups/snowpatchesscotland
ski holidays
Ha! I've joined the group. I never really use facebook but that's too good.
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Looks like a perfect morning at Glencoe. All runs complete, wide and deep. Sunny with blue skies Cool
latest report
Looks like Coe and Nevis still have the best of it. I've never clicked on the Lowther hills button before... Only 2.5 hours away form here by car. Reckon I'll give em a go next season if they get some snow.
I'll keep supporting Allenheads but I haven't had the chance to ski there for the last two years just because the few days thay had cover didn't align with my time off.
snow report
If they ever lift the travel restrictions, there should still be some good opportunities on some of the lee slopes & gullies well into late spring/early summer Toofy Grin

It's been a real bummer as I missed the amazing conditions prior to the lockdown with a fractured arm due to a cycling mishap. At least I avoided the temptation, as in reality the arm wasn't sufficiently mended enough to ski Sad
snow report
Can't believe I've never seen this before..

http://youtube.com/v/70OcPt3lnLE
latest report
Happy memories of only 9 days ago at Glencoe - epic cover on Sat. 21.3.20. Roll on next winter (and the new Glencoe chairlift) Very Happy

ski holidays
Great pics mountainaddict

9 days seems like a lifetime ago in the current (awful) climate. Sad

Last weekend I was surprised to see where they've put the pylons for the new chair at Glencoe. While any lift upgrades are appreciated, I can't help but think that a new chair would have better served the main basin...
snow conditions
Where have they put them?
snow conditions
Grizzler wrote:
Where have they put them?

About 40 to 50 yards to the left of the Plateau Poma as you're looking up the hill, with the top being slightly higher up than the top of the Poma.
ski holidays
Quote:

About 40 to 50 yards to the left of the Plateau Poma as you're looking up the hill, with the top being slightly higher up than the top of the Poma.

I don't really know Glencoe but does the Plateau Poma uptrack lose cover before the main basin and therefore shut the resort down in spring when there is still good skiing? And that putting a chairlift in would solve this issue?
snow report
@rambotion, yes, that is one of the reasons Glencoe has put it there. Another is that the plateau drag lift can build queues at the beginning of the day, and on days where parts of the upper mountain are shut.
snow conditions
The main basin is far too windy for a chairlift. The new triple chair should enable early season skiing on the plateau before there is enough to open the higher runs. It serves superb gentle runs which should be attractive to everyone in good conditions, particularly snowboarders. It should greatly reduce, even eliminate, the need to queue on the busy days and it should mean small queues for the Poma. It may even be possible to speed up the Poma. However there will still be plenty of days when it is too windy to run or not enough snow to get to the bottom.

You can see the partly constructed top station on the mid mountain camera here just above the snow factory.
latest report
Peter S,

I was thinking that the prevailing south westerlies wouldn't have been too problematic if they'd put the chair to skiers' left of the main basin - while keeping the TBar as a back up/supplementary lift. Just a thought, though...

Do you think the top of Glencoe is more exposed than the Goose chair at Nevis?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simplest answer for main basin queues is to run the button that is already there!!
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Which run are you on in the top two pictures? I'm guessing it's the red that leads down to the top of Cliffhanger chair/Thrombosis... Rannoch Glades (Had to look it up).
ski holidays
Quote:
Simplest answer for main basin queues is to run the button that is already there!!
I was wondering about that on closing weekend! Mountains of snow - and surely not too difficult to just run a piste basher up the button-tow track... Puzzled Voila: Instant 50% increase in capacity of main basin uplift.

Quote:
Which run are you on in the top two pictures?
Both pics are taken on the Spring Run - first one about halfway down on skier's far right; second one slightly further down on skier's far left.

It's just a fantastic run - nice and steep and amazing views Very Happy.

The new Plateau Chair will be a boon. We've:
- Been in some bad queues for the Plateau Poma at peak times (nearly as far back as the top of the Access Chair). It also makes things really bad for beginners who want to lap the Plateau Tow.
- Trudged across a snowless Plateau to reach the Cliffhanger Chair more times than I can remember.

Wonder if they'll do downloading too when there's no snow on the Plateau wink .
snow report
Hi Bergmeister and MA,
Alan over at Winterhighland is the person to ask, but I think the reason that the Rannoch button wasn’t running was because they hadn’t had time to dig it out. Much of the tow track is too narrow for a machine so I think it has to be hand dug in some places. With the settled weather by now it probably would have been open.

On busy days with the new chair running it should reduce queues across all the lifts. That seems to be the case at Glenshee when the new Cairnwell chair is open. There may well be no need to ever replace the Cliffy if it can continue to be maintained.

I carnt see the chair being used for downloading. It’s only about a 500m walk from the cafe to the top of the access chair. It’s the rules that Scottish Skiing must involve at least some walking snowHead

The top of the quad at Nevis Range is 600 feet lower than the summit of Glencoe. It is also sheltered from the south by another 1000’ of hillside rising above. This winter the access chair and main basin T at Glencoe have been closed quite often by the wind. One reason why it is so frustrating that just as the weather was starting to settle down they have had to close Sad
latest report
Apols if this has already been covered but what's the latest situation with the glen coe fire-damaged cafe and ski hire building? Thanks.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, @Peter S, yeah I asked them directly about the button, and from what I saw there were huge piles of snow that needed manually digging out on the button tow track. With all the fresh snow they kept getting they could only dig out the T and then couldn't work on the button when the T was running.
snow report
@Neil Neige, it's been demolished. A temporary new cafe was planned but understandably delayed due to Covid-19.
snow conditions
^^^ A number of temporary portakabin-type buildings are on site. One was already being used as a ticket office up to closure of the skiing.

I'm assuming the rest would have been due to have been brought into use (including a cafe, as mentioned above) before Covid-19 brought everything to a premature halt... Confused
snow report
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2108494/temporary-facilities-erected-as-glencoe-mountain-resort-works-to-replace-fire-hit-building/
ski holidays
A picture of the old ticket office and cafe in car park on 5/3/2020 at Glencoe:

ski holidays
Dusting of new snow and conditions still fantastic. Will be interesting to see how long the season would have been.

Bigtipper, do you mean picture taken from where the cafe and ticket office was ?
snow report
@Peter S, for those who have never been to Glencoe before the cafe and ticket office were burned down and removed, yes that is what I meant. The ticket office used to be to the left of the bottem of the steps with the cafe attached and behind. Just snow in this picture where it was. I avoided taking a picture of the line of portaloos which were there to the left of the picture at the time. I have never been to a music festival, but I suspect these portaloos were probably what it is like at a music festival. I used the toilets at the other end of the car park, next to the showers while I waited for the lifts to open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy