Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, beat me to it.
@TheGeneralist, yep.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And that's now it for Coe too Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And Shee.

And Lecht.

Bye bye season, hope to see you again later or next year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a real shame given the late start, but it is the right decision. I'm just glad I got some turns in on great snow this year.

I'll make the effort again when they reopen to get up there!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SHds inaugural official 2021 Scotland Bash, anyone?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, NOW that is a cracking idea! May have to be a 24-48 hour notice given the vagaries of the Scottish weather..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Correct decision, a shame for the centres tho after a late start.
Will be interesting to see the skier days for this season, been a solid last month and I think the snow factories at Glenshee and the Lecht(and Coe?) have been pretty successful in allowing schools and beginners to visit pretty much all season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just need the @Mike Pow TR now to wrap this up.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
[b] May have to be a 24-48 hour notice given the vagaries of the Scottish weather..

Or, as this year, start at Yad Moss?
Actually, that was the pre season English Bash snowHead Knew that it was too good to be true.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
just need the @Mike Pow TR now to wrap this up.....

On it

Skied Glencoe and Nevis Range.

Both excellent

Lake District on the way up.

Sunshine, snow, awesome sunrises & sunsets.

Amazing stars the past two nights.

Northern Lights last night.

Great welcome & hospitality and grub & booze
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler,
Quote:

I'm in! Hopefully the MooDog too.

Agree that it'll have to be on a shortish notice basis tho.

I've been distracted lately trying to get as much work done as I can before lock down. But I've enjoyed catching up on everyone's posts now though, even if this season is now at a sadly (but necessary) premature end.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grizzler wrote:

Erm, just to point out that it wouldn't be a sHs inaugural Scotland bash as several years ago a group of sHs had a weekend skiing get together in Aviemore, several London based sHs came up on the sleeper train and other sHs made their way there from elsewhere. We finished off the weekend with a curry (not something you can always do in Alpine resorts!) Madeye-Smiley : https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286&highlight=aviemore&start=600
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alright then, the Return of the Short Notice Scotland Bash... rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Main basin at Glencoe now reporting 620cm.

Touring only now however. The tows are closed after some local political pressure on the centre staff Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Correct decision whether you like it or not. Now is the time for the country to get a grip, bunker down and support eh NHS. I’ve had time with my sister today who runs a critical care unit and is overrun already, basically, if you end up there you’ll probably die.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Main basin at Glencoe now reporting 620cm.

Touring only now however. The tows are closed after some local political pressure on the centre staff Sad

The tows are closed due to a worldwide pandemic which will kill millions.
snow conditions
Any feedback on the Scottish resorts from anyone who had never skied there before?
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:

2nd official bash maybe - I'm afraid the inaugural one occurred some time ago..

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286
ski holidays
ropetow wrote:
Any feedback on the Scottish resorts from anyone who had never skied there before?

Give me a couple of days. Working through the pics.

Here's the precis, we had a ball.
ski holidays
Fantastic conditions at the weekend particularly Sunday. Should be plenty of snow for touring for a while yet.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Fantastic conditions at the weekend particularly Sunday. Should be plenty of snow for touring for a while yet.

Good stuff.............but be careful

Glenshee Mountain Rescue were on the radio earlier saying that they will have to prioritise who and when they rescue now, due to actual and potential staffing issues.

Basically they were saying that anyone going into the mountains needs to be aware that the emergency services will be stretched and hence their response will be pared back.
ski holidays
Yes very good point. It was in the back of my mind yesterday. I guess the number of people back country skiing will drop quite radically from here.
snow conditions
I think if you tour it has to be as low risk as possible, and from your doorstep if possible, rather than travelling for miles just to tour.
ski holidays
I don’t think it is the travelling in cars per se that the govt is worried about, its the potential for social contact at the other end. Heading off into the hills on skis should avoid social contact snowHead
ski holidays
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-and-hill-walking-its-time-to-put-it-on-hold

BMC explicitly asking people not to go into the hills for the foreseeable future
latest report
.............unless on mountainbikes. Little Angel
snow report
Peter S wrote:
I don’t think it is the travelling in cars per se that the govt is worried about, its the potential for social contact at the other end. Heading off into the hills on skis should avoid social contact snowHead

I think the main issue is if you have an accident and need medical assistance/ambulance/hotel bed from an overreached NHS. Potentially you could get "left" as not life critical. It's just not worth the risk IMHO. The mountains will still be there after this is all over.
latest report
@Mike Pow, Looking forward to seeing your pics!
I keep fawning at the Glencoe webcams like a jilted lover, stalking their ex on facebook. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting to note that the golf courses are still open Laughing
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, is there an echo in here? wink I refer you to my post above from yesterday. NehNeh

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 23-03-20 23:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:
The mountains will still be there after this is all over
But the issue - as ever with Scottish skiing - is that the snow may not be... rolling eyes It's not unknown for no lifts at all to spin in March...

Still, snow/skiing are the least of all our worries in the current state of Armageddon. (Can't believe I've just typed that...)

For this to happen in such a bumper snow year is a big disappointment though - especially as the ski areas need every penny that they can get. Let's just hope that they can tap into the infamous public sector money tree, which is seemingly set to grow faster than a beanstalk. (Fine by me - but previously ridiculed by politicians... rolling eyes )
snow conditions
Some great images on the snow patches in Scotland Facebook group today. Reporting depths of up to 17 feet in some areas...
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, The photo yesterday of the NW Highlands from Lewis was superb.
snow conditions
ropetow wrote:

I visited Glenshee last Monday. Wind was awful at times and drastically reduced speed downhill. Probably less than half the area open but still charged £32 for a ticket. That said, it hasn't been the best of seasons for them so they need the cash. I was up in March 2018 after the mini beast from the east and had bluebird days so have seen what it can offer when conditions are good.
Visited Nevis Range for first time on Wed when wind was gusting at 50 mph and only two tows open so didn't see it at its best. A whiteout during a 50mph gust led to me throwing in the towel. I'd certainly return on a better day.
Called at Glencoe on Thursday for first time. Bluebird conditions with fab coverage. The Coe seems to have much steeper pitches than Glenshee and offers the kind of runs you'd expect to find in the Alps though I haven't found Glas Maol open to date and haven't tried some of the corries. Didn't make it to France this season so Glencoe helped scratch an itch and would return on that score.
Car park at Glencoe could benefit from social distancing for cars, even in a Mazda 3 I just about managed to exit the parking bay. I'd never have managed in my old Passat.
Seemed to be plenty of Yorkshire accents at the Coe last week. I was listening out for Mike Pow, having heard him on the Skiing Podcast, but he must have been busy on some gnarly sections.
Given the stupidity of some daytrippers over the weekend, it was right to close the ski areas now. Medical staff are already stretched. Fingers crossed the impact on the European ski industry isn't as severe as expected
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, also looking forward to seeing your pics. Glad it sounds like you had a good trip.
snow report
Well, I reckon that bar any lucky b*ggrs able to walk it from their house, the to ski or not decision's just been decided by BoJo. Stay safe and well, everyone.
ski holidays
The 2019 / 2020 season will go down in the history books for Scotland (and the world).

Nov = no snow
Dec = no snow
Jan = no snow
Feb = snow arrives
Mar = resorts shuttered due to corona death plague

The question now is: which resorts, if any, will survive?
snow conditions
First season in years I didn’t manage a slide in Scotland. No snow, then caught up in work, then death plague + busy, then death plague + lockdown. Hope they all survive, Cairngorm forevermore insulated from their own stupidity by taxpayer spondulicks. Glencoe will have suffered from the loss of the base building, Nevis Range will suffer from lack of biking and summer tourists (IMO if COVID goes the way I believe it will)
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
The 2019 / 2020 season will go down in the history books for Scotland (and the world).

Nov = no snow
Dec = no snow
Jan = no snow
Feb = snow arrives
Mar = resorts shuttered due to corona death plague

The question now is: which resorts, if any, will survive?

I think they'll all survive IMO. Be interesting to see the skier day numbers for them all once they're released though.
snow conditions
I would imagine Glenshee will have had the most by far. Very few days lost once they opened. Hopefully they will at least have covered their costs this year. Wonder whether they will have any surplus to refurbish the Meall Odhar Poma which I think was next on their list ?

Glad they were able to run till Sunday. Don't suppose there is going to be much more skiing in Europe this season beyond the odd sneaky tour.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy