Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs MA & I are keen on a trip up to the Highlands for some touring/turns as soon as possible.

Given Saturday's very decent forecast, wondering if the fresh snow on the Cairngorm-cams will mean anything skiable at altitude... Puzzled

It looks as though it could be skinnable up (against the fences at least) from quite low down.

Hmmmm.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, I've given a link to this man before, https://www.facebook.com/windy.miller.54, if the snow is good enough and he is available he will be up there, he normally puts a review up in the evening. Have to say its a bit difficult to say what the snow is like at the moment with a fog making it difficult to get a decent view from the webcams.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks larry1950 I'm not on Facebook - but that link comes up as broken or removed when I click on it... Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
larry1950 wrote:
@mountainaddict, I've given a link to this man before, https://www.facebook.com/windy.miller.54 if the snow is good enough and he is available he will be up there, he normally puts a review up in the evening. Have to say its a bit difficult to say what the snow is like at the moment with a fog making it difficult to get a decent view from the webcams.

FIFYA - took out the comma after 54, which broke the link..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @albob, shall try and remember that in future.

@mountainaddict, Try the link again without the comma, I hope you can see it as Graeme puts a lot of photos up although you might find Facebook tries to nag you to sign up, just ignore it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just saw your post from Friday larry1950 - thanks. As it happens we went for it on Saturday (yesterday) after all - a decision we didn't regret, despite a 4.30am alarm followed by a 300 mile drive Sad

We had an absolutely fantastic day - blue sky, an inch or two of dry, powdery snow, hardly any wind - but bitter cold. It was -6C on the car thermometer at the Cas car park and very very cold at the top - unbearable with gloves off.

After skinning from the bottom on very thin cover, we ascended via the Gunbarrel and Traverse, then onward to the summit.

The snow from the summit down to the top of the Ptarmigan Tow was superb; ditto down to the Ptarmigan restaurant and on skiers' left of the Traverse - we got some fresh tracks in places, which was a bonus. Very Happy

Saw two snowboarders and five or six other tourers/skiers out - including two hardly lasses who had bootpacked to the summit carrying skis - and also spoke to Helen (aka 'Hilly') who is well known in those parts.

Managed to get back to the bottom of the zig zags on skis - some lovely snow to the bottom of the top zig. All a bit sketchy & scratchy after that - we walked down from the top of the Sunkid Tow.

Will post some pics of an epic day when I can Smile

Sadly, it's turning warm from tomorrow - with rain at all levels Confused - so unfortunately no sign of any Scottish lifts turning any time soon...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like another disastrous start to Scotland's season.

Little or no snow in the forecasts.

Few, if any, stations likely to open before Xmas or NY.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hardly a disastrous start, things never really get going till after New Year. Not in the seventeen years I've been living here anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, Glad you made the effort, could it have been you I saw on the webcams at around 9.05 am Saturday morning? You can maybe save that link for another time, another link that you might like although you probably saw these mounds already https://www.facebook.com/cairngormteam/
As usual @Whitegold, is talking rubbish and @OwenM, is right that there is rarely any skiing this early in the season except maybe in the Ptarmigan bowl.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
more utter ballcoks from the troll, Caingorm opening this weekend I believe and Glencoe has been running some beginner lessons??

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm. Coming up from Norwich on 13 December and again for New Years... The wife is from Perth. Worth bringing my Snowboarding bag for either trip or is it likely too early?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pics, as promised from sunny Cairngorm last Saturday Very Happy

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Coming up from Norwich on 13 December and again for New Years... The wife is from Perth. Worth bringing my Snowboarding bag for either trip or is it likely too early?
As ever, hard to say @S@mm084 rolling eyes Let'shope so - but maybe more hope for us ski/board tourers - we're hoping to be back up there between Christmas and New Year...

Quote:
mountainaddict, glad you made the effort, could it have been you I saw on the webcams at around 9.05 am Saturday morning?
Nope - we left home at 05.30...and it's 300 miles door to door wink . After a coffee stop and a couple of driver changes we got underway at about 11.30 wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the BBC week ahead forecast last night (Sun) the cold snap is over with some horribly mild weather coming across from the Atlantic. Temps up at 10 - 12 degrees with rain at all levels. How resilient the initial base will be is open to discussion, can not imagine anything too positive though.
A good friend competes in the Skimo series so we keep a close eye on conditions up north.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Checking the Glenshee ski area webcam today you can see that the snow factory is making snow, as there is snow spraying out of the end of a pipe to the right of the Octagonal restaurant.
latest report
@mountainaddict, that's a serious effort....300 miles each way? Sometimes think I get a bit over-excited driving an hour for 10cm, not any more.
snow conditions
Airtightwhale wrote:
Checking the Glenshee ski area webcam today you can see that the snow factory is making snow, as there is snow spraying out of the end of a pipe to the right of the Octagonal restaurant.

I wonder if this was just a test, most of the other weeks snow is gone from Glenshee, and it is quite warm (was about 8.5c in Edinburgh today) and wet?
latest report
@mountainaddict, The snow looked good higher up, had commitments at the weekend so couldn't go but did manage the other weekend when you could ski top to bottom.

@S@mm084, Its impossible to say what it will be like but the forecast can be wrong and there could be snow, I'm afraid its watching the webcams and the weather, all the areas have snowfactory's now which means they should have something open but its bound to be busy.
latest report
The longer term forecast for the 2nd half of December is looking relatively promising, but time will tell !

On another subject still no sign of the winterhighland website and forum being resurrected which is a shame. Although I think post numbers were down over recent years with people switching to facebook groups etc..
latest report
Hi paulo, i certainly hope Wwinterhighland will be relaunched. Facebook is a terrible substitute for considered debate, as we all know. Winterhighland is the go to objective source for Scottish skiing. Hope they can sort it Puzzled
snow report
Quote:
mountainaddict, that's a serious effort....300 miles each way?
Er, yes! We now regard it as a normal pop out! wink

We usually get up to the Scottish areas 5 or 6 times a season - but it can be as much as 10 trips in a good winter. We once drove up then hiked up Cairngorm in mid-August after reading on Winterhighland of a 100m snow patch over the back... Laughing Great fun in glorious weather - but we took the mountain bikes too to make a decent trip of it.

We've had touring kit for 7 or 8 years, which has been a boon - and means that (see above re August) we have skied in Scotland in every month of the year except July and September. We once got to the 30th of June (Ciste Gully at Cairngorm was still skiable but breaking up...). It was a Sunday - and we couldn't be off work on the Monday...which would have meant some July turns... rolling eyes

Still, there's always next summer... wink
snow report
Quote:
Quote:
mountainaddict, that's a serious effort....300 miles each way?

Er, yes! We now regard it as a normal pop out!

... think that's hardcore snowHead snowHead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Fowler
Quote:
... was regarded as the driving force behind a group of London climbers who would regularly drive to the north of Scotland, a round trip of 1,300 miles, for winter weekends. His record was 11 consecutive weekends.
ski holidays
Matt Hugo on Twitter is monitoring a potential very cold spell mid Dec, still too far away though at the moment

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81

snow report
Quote:
...would regularly drive to the north of Scotland, a round trip of 1,300 miles, for winter weekends. His record was 11 consecutive weekends.
It's a fair cop...what lightweights we are - don't know we're born with just the 600 mile round trip Laughing

Also (apologies that the name escapes me), isn't there a snowHead who nips up to Cairngorm from Bristol Puzzled

There's also a family I'm aware of who have driven up from Sussex or somewhere to ski at Yad Moss in the Cumbrian Pennines. Mind at least it's lift-served skiing when they get there... wink
latest report
Quote:

isn't there a snowHead who nips up to Cairngorm from Bristol
... guilty as charged Smile (though not been for a couple of years)
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Hi paulo, i certainly hope Wwinterhighland will be relaunched. Facebook is a terrible substitute for considered debate, as we all know. Winterhighland is the go to objective source for Scottish skiing. Hope they can sort it Puzzled

I've heard from Winterhighland that reports and forecasts will be back by the end of the week. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
guilty as charged (though not been for a couple of years)
Is that down to the demise of the train
geoffers?? What a terrible state of affairs that is.... Confused Wonder if it will ever be repaired rolling eyes ?
Quote:
I've heard from Winterhighland that reports and forecasts will be back by the end of the week.
Let's hope so - I was beginning to think it had gone the way of the Cairngorm train... Shocked
snow report
Scotland looks greener than Greta's front garden.

First half of month will be hot and wet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
First half of month will be hot and wet.
Not according to the weather outlook on this forum - one of the maps shows up to 45cm of snow above 200m between 6 & 12 December.

If that comes off,
Whitegold will be totally gutted... Laughing
snow report
Cairngorm open today for first lift served skiing of the season in Scotland!
Just a small man made beginner area but good effort none the less, snowy few days ahead hopefully!
latest report
A short film about Hilly's 10 years of skiing in Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=sUEc3JpRUJU&feature=emb_title
snow conditions
^^^ will watch that (after bumping into her up at Cairngorm the weekend before last) Very Happy

- Cairngorm is all white (top to bottom) again today Very Happy
- Rain at all levels tomorrow Sad
- Back to snow on Thursday Smile

Pencilled in for a trip up on Saturday night for Sunday ski touring...snow/weather permitting... rolling eyes
latest report
Also hoping for more snow by the weekend, shall watch out for any reports from tourers on Facebook.
snow report
Quote:
Shall watch out for any reports from tourers on Facebook
Not on it - so would report on here... wink

Snow is also possible on the Durham/Cumbria Pennines Puzzled - in which case we may end up there as that would be only an hour away, versus 5hrs to Cairngorm...
snow conditions
@larry1950, What a great little film! Makes a nice change from the "Epic-Gnar-Brah" type of stuff I so often end up watching.
snow report
@HotDogger, Glad you enjoyed it, I have watched Hilly's search for snow over the years and thought others might be interested.

@mountainaddict, I shall watch out for reports on Facebook and if anything interesting comes up I shall let you know Smile
snow conditions
I remember hearing about Hilly on Winterhighland when she first started her 12-month skiing attempt. Fabulous to see her notch up ten years continuous skiing every single month! And not without her own battles too... inspirational.
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

isn't there a snowHead who nips up to Cairngorm from Bristol
... guilty as charged Smile (though not been for a couple of years)

and me, but i get the plane from bristol to inverness and then train to aviemore
ski holidays
Lowther Hills have a piste basher !

https://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/news/191-south-of-scotland-only-snowgroomer-thank-you

I have never skied there but hopefully more ski days for them this season with the new equipment.
snow report
Hello! Very Happy snowHead Very Happy
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy