Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
So went for nevis in the afternoon, after a long leisurely breakfast. Snow is good only 1 main lift running but has been a good few hours!

Looks like they are prepping at least the goose t bar for tomorrow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wam15, did you get a look into the back corries at all??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing open that far up I'm afraid. Lots of people were skinning up, may get lucky and one was a snow head.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glencoe looking good for tomorrow - clear sky & topping of snow from today / night.

More to come over the weekend if the wind plays ball!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wam15, Summit button, Goose, Quad Chair and Alpha all scheduled for tomorrow!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Denfinella that will make it a good day, dont think we will make it back unfortunately.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glencoe open summit to valley on Thursday.

Followed by 100mph hurricane on Saturday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoolie, not hurricane Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Whitegold,

Glencoe doesn't have valleys

Scotland doesn't have hurricanes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 13-02-20 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Whitegold,

Thursday is usually followed by Friday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like Glenshee and Glencoe are getting walloped with more snow Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S wrote:
Looks like Glenshee and Glencoe are getting walloped with more snow Laughing

Yep, have cleared the decks for Tuesday although Wed might be better
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glenshee is open today. Meanwhile looks as though Glencoe has had plenty. Haggis Trap now filled Cool Cool
http://winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was up glenshee on friday, foggy and few runs on but made the most, trek over to carn aosda near the end of the day was good. Looks like some snowfall forecast next few days though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Backcountryboarder wrote:
@Whitegold,

Really? Puzzled I wonder what the flattish land is at the bottom of the ski hill... Puzzled
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, a glen. Wink
latest report
Or a pass, a moor (aka a peat bog wink ), some marshes, a forest or the bit of flat land before the sea/estuary.
Has that covered all major 'resorts'?
snow report
@Alastair Pink, @Grizzler, thanks, you both beat me to it Very Happy
ski holidays
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

Everything looks better in the sun Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

Really? I wonder what the flattish land is at the bottom of the ski hill...

Bergmeister, a glen
Methinks it's semantics - whichever way you look at it, a glen is a valley...

And where do the glens start in Scotland? Is it only the Highlands? (There is a Forth Valley Police and a Forth Valley NHS Trust....)
snow conditions
I think you may find that the clue is in the name - Glencoe, Glenshee etc. and it is primarily highlands - The Forth and Clyde Valleys are flat and wide whereas glens are steeper and narrower.
It is a truism that every area has their own naming conventions - what I refer to as a close will in parts of England be referred to as a ginnel or a snickett or an alley or many other variations, similarly loch, lake, tarn.... Personally I try, out of politeness, to try and use the local names wherever I go with the added benefit that locals are more likely to understand me. wink
snow report
@mountainaddict, no, a glen is a glen. If Glencoe was a valley, surely it would be called Coe Valley.

As@snowheid points out, out of politeness, it's good to try and use the local name wherever you go. And it was Glencoe that@Whitegold was referring to, not Scotland as a whole, so there's no point trying to be a smartarse and start bringing the Central Lowlands into it.
snow conditions
A bit more snow for Glenshee last night and some snow showers through the day today. Looks at the moment like there might be a slight blip/mild spell coming through on Friday.

Glencoe and Nevis should be in great shape now. And it's looking like it'll be cooler with more snow in the West on Friday and Saturday. Still be a bit on the windy side though rolling eyes

Is this week the last week of English half-term?
snow conditions
@Backcountryboarder, I disagree, and I think you're being a bit harsh on @mountainaddict. There's plenty of overlap between valley and glen, except that glen has Gaelic origin.

All glens are valleys, but not all valleys are glens. Wider valleys in the lower course of a river would more likely be straths.

I do get what you're saying up to a point about using the local term, but is it really that important? It would be like saying that you shouldn't go to the French / Austrian / Italian Alps without knowing and using all the local terms for various geographical features. Or Wales without speaking Welsh, or the Lake District and daring to call the summits mountains instead of fells. And in Scotland, if you have to say glen instead of valley, where does it end? Would you consider it rude for a non-Gaelic speaker visiting the Highlands to use the word pass instead of bealach? Mountain instead of ben? Etc.
snow report
It was just a joke. As a "local" I use "Glen" and "Loch" instead of valley and lake ... and use valley and lake when I'm in England ... let's move on Happy

Anyways, finally looking white again in the mountains .. just wish I'd get a bit in garden too, so the kids could build a snowman this winter. I can only ski at the weekends - and haven't skied in Scotland since April 2018! Here's hoping the winds finally calm down a bit. More snow forecast for the next few days, but still windy
snow report
@denfinella, not really wanting to be drawn into a pedants argument and end up drifting this thread off topic but the clue was in the name - GLENcoe.

And for what it's worth, never meant to sound harsh on @mountainaddict, but didn't expect having a wee go at @Whitegold and his constant stream of irritating BS would cause people to flex their pedantry glands Toofy Grin

Now, as suggested, any chance of getting back to Reports - Weather - Snow Conditions
snow conditions
Must say I don't think the ski resort of Glencoe has a valley it goes onto Rannnoch moor really though Glen Etive is a bit to one side.
latest report
Hmmm, latest forecast showing rain/sleet above 3000ft on Friday in the West now too, bo11ocks.

Planning on heading up Glenshee tomorrow for a few hours, looks like they're starting to think about opening up the East side of the A93 with the Sunnyside pomas from tomorrow as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe still has summit-to-valley riding on Weds and Thurs.

Rain Fri.
ski holidays
The Tiger is open tomorrow for those lucky enough to be up at Glenshee. Glencoe should also be reasonably awesome tomorrow Laughing
ski holidays
@Backcountryboarder, fair enough. Glenshee posted a few photos on Facebook today and it looked pretty enticing!

Yes, after tomorrow there are a couple of fronts coming through which look borderline snow / rain at car park level. Hopefully more of the former. A bit of rain is ok, as long as it's only a bit!

Whitegold wrote:
Glencoe still has summit-to-valley riding on Weds and Thurs

Don't push it wink
ski holidays
Quote:
so there's no point trying to be a smartarse and start bringing the Central Lowlands into it.
B100dy 'ell....Shocked ....#over reaction...(Later hint of contrition noted wink )

I was only asking as I was genuinely interested to find out where use of the word 'glen' begins in Scotland....Be assured that absolutely no 'smartarseness' or offence was intended.

Until I came across the examples I listed yesterday, I was unaware that 'valley' was used at all.

Anyway, snow continues to pile up in the Highlands - hoping for a trip or two up there very soon.... Very Happy (Weather permitting of course.)
snow report
The model outlook is very good for Scotland in terms of temperatures but wind looks to be a problem in the shorter term. Glenshee will probably be the most reliable for shelter and open lifts.
ski holidays
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

11 lifts open and sunny today at Glenshee Cool
ski holidays
Who is the Glenshee Rocket Man?

ski holidays
Our very own GSA.
snow report
Snow overnight turning to rain possibly all the way to the summits by 5/6 am then cooling down and turning back to snow again to below 2000ft by late afternoon/early evening on Friday.

More snow in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday, winds still high on Saturday and it looks like The West will come out best again by the end of the weekend into Monday. Glencoe and Nevis Range are looking in great shape. Glencoe having to consider digging out the Main Basin T-bar and the Rescue Hut looking like it'll soon be buried

Working the next 4 days but I'm already looking forward to seeing the webcams in the West come Monday night. Tentative hint of calmer weather, at last, for Tuesday.
snow report
Just a few drag lifts open today at Glenshee. Looks like some fierce showers passing through. Forecast is better tomorrow and i would expect that they will have most of the lifts open on the Cairnwell side and probablybthe Sunnyside pomas. Looks to be staying cool fir the forseeable. Could do with less wind however. Laughing

Currently minus 6 gusting 100mph on the summit of CairnGorm.
https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&WMO=03065&TIME=all&CONT=ukuk&R=0&LEVEL=140&REGION=0003&LAND=UK&NOREGION=0
latest report
Looks like a sustained cooler spell on the cards for Glencoe looking at the GFS forecasts... may have to start planning a trip!

snow report
Great report on Winterhighland today from Glencoe. Looks loaded and the full 2400 feet of vertical is open.
http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy