Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
A report from BBC yesterday with some information, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50916475 The lift system is completely separate from the cafe so there was no damage there and they are open for skiing today.
Also https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1920804/ski-community-and-snowsports-aficionados-come-out-in-support-of-glencoe/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cairngorm Ski Touring - 27 & 28 December 2019

Fri 27 Dec 2019: We skinned up from the bottom via the Fiacaill Ridge tow track, and adjacent snow patches, into a relentless, stiff headwind. Cover was fair between the fences and pretty decent in places at Coire Cas level. By the time we reached the top of the Cas Tow, skinning was increasingly difficult in the very strong gusts so we turned round at that point. Cover up the Traverse looked good and the White Lady had fair cover – but going any higher than the Cas would have been very tough, if not impossible.

We then had a pretty good (tail wind assisted) ski down on soft, grippy snow. The top zig zag was pisted, so was particularly good. After that, we skinned up towards the top of the Fiacaill Ridge and skied down a mix of the tow track and adjacent snow patches, on nice snow. We finished off on the 100 metre long, man-made beginners area – which was very well used, with the learners seemingly having a great time. It’s hats off to Cairngorm for their efforts with that. (The first pic below shows the beginners area, near the Daylodge.)

Sat 28 Dec 2019: The wind on day 2 seemed similar at car park level to the previous day, so we set off skinning up the beginners area, followed by hiking and snow patch skinning to the bottom of The Gunbarrel. From there, it was skis on all the way to the top of the Cas again. The head wind just got worse and worse as we plodded up. Mobility was impossible in some of the gusts, culminating in Mrs MA and I both being blown over twice by we reached the top of the tow Shocked . Pretty scary stuff – particularly when, while taking the skins off, Mrs MA’s skis were ripped from her grasp and cartwheeled down the hill by a violent gust. It was like being in a hurricane and we were barely able to communicate with each other. The ski down was just awful to begin with – tail wind gusts blasting us towards rocks and snow fences. We have skied in bad winds in Scotland before – but this took things to a whole new, terrifying, level. We were so glad to reach a point where normal skiing was possible and enjoyed some nice turns after that. What is it they say? “ A bad day on the mountain is better than a good day in town.” Hmmmm…. Smile

The temperature was 10C at Cas Car Park level when we left, with a lot of snow having been lost over the two days we were there. The position is only set to worsen with ongoing high temperatures and strong wind in coming days – so it’s fingers crossed for the return of winter (and snow) in the not too distant future.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice report and I'm glad you both got back unscathed!
I'm amazed there's any snow left to ski to be honest. I was all set to get the kids up to coe during the holidays but then the temps changed the minute the schools broke up. Hrmph! Mad Fingers crossed for a quick return to a proper winter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
18.5 degrees recorded on 28th. A record UK temperature for December.
Bloody climate change Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alasdair.graham wrote:
Hopefully from that pic the building is able to be saved, I'm sure they'll do everything possible to keep running in the mean time.

It doesn't look to bad at the big window end, till you stared further in and were like oh my .... Shocked The roof was bouncing in the wind a couple of nights ago making the most disconcerting noises, sadly I think it's a foregone conclusion that the building is a write off. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
18.5 degrees recorded on 28th. A record UK temperature for December.
Bloody climate change Sad

Crazy stuff.

17c (62f) at night.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good read Evil or Very Mad http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2020/01/02/corporate-gaslighting-why-we-did-nothing-as-skiing-died-at-cairn-gorm/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffers wrote:
A good read Evil or Very Mad http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2020/01/02/corporate-gaslighting-why-we-did-nothing-as-skiing-died-at-cairn-gorm/

Thanks for that.

Scathing assessment........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's (some) snow at Glencoe! Snowy forecast with blizzards for Sunday and Monday. Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heavy, heavy rain first tho. This could go either way.......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saw a car with snow on the back in Edinburgh today - bizarre, I can only assume it had travelled a fair distance as it was pouring this morning here....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's some snow on the Ochils, not that far from Edinburgh.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottish Borders got a fair amount this morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe will be 50% open on Fri.

Make the most of it. Rain due next week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glencoe looked pretty good today according to the photos on their Facebook page - pity that they couldn't give an upfront version else we'd have rushed up. The Wall looked best, Mugs (various) also good - not open at the top, though, I think.
Not perfect, but better than nothing for the UK atm. Looks like it's not going to last more than the next few days, maybe the week if really lucky Sad
ski holidays
Depressing, was talking to my daughter talbyem a few days ago who is working at Loch Ness Backpackers, she say the only snow around there is on very top of the mountains and that shrinks every time it rains in the valleys which is pretty often!
snow conditions
Another calamity season for Scotland.

No snow in the peak of winter, global warming, fire disaster, crumbling funicular.
snow report
It's still January, plenty of time for snow, the beast from the east was in March remember.
ski holidays
OwenM wrote:
It's still January, plenty of time for snow, the beast from the east was in March remember.
Hoping for Feb as off up see darling daughter at half term!
snow conditions
Quote:

every time it rains in the valleys which is pretty often!

Glens maybe?
snow conditions
@davkt, Despite what you may be hearing/reading it is not unusual for the snow to disappear in January, hopefully it wont be long before its back again.
latest report
Fingers crossed!
snow report
Just cancelled a weekend based in Fort William.
Castleford on Sat shall have to do.
Things can only get better...AMIRITE?
ski holidays
@tommyduk, well, they can't get too much worse... Puzzled
It's the UK. Flip a coin, toss a caber... Far too mild at the moment (even though snow is falling on and off up there, and on the higher bits down here): but what's the betting someone'll be complaining that it's way too cold and snowy and icy and whatever in late March, Easter, April (etc etc)?
Worst blinking thing with Scotland is that you almost guarantee that when there is useable snow, even clear visability and hints of a non-grey or black sky, there'll be an accompanying roaring hoolie Crying or Very sad
Never mind, press on with the snow dancing.
latest report
Quote:
Castleford on Sat shall have to do.
Unless you invest in/hire some touring kit wink 8 years down the line, it's the best thing Mrs MA and I ever did. Since then, I've lost count of the number of great days out we've had skinning up at (closed) Glencoe, Glenshee and Cairngorm - from as early as October to as late as the end of June Very Happy
latest report
I was at Nevis Range and Glencoe last weekend - never been before, and I thought it was well worth the 9 hour trip snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/lhN6e_YsphY
snow report
@Mouse555, nice video. Kudos for skiing halfway down the Access Chair at Glencoe with cover that thin!
snow report
rolling eyes
denfinella wrote:
@Mouse555, nice video. Kudos for skiing halfway down the Access Chair at Glencoe with cover that thin!

That's good cover for us Welsh mountain warriors Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blast! If I'd known that there was that much (Nevis?), I'd have rushed up (hmm, well, pulled back muscle permitting...)
Looks good Smile
snow report
Wow mouse, that looks fabulous! Cool

Conditions were nearly as good in Glenshee for the weekend we went up last year. Scottish skiing can still be ace if you time it right.

Oh and mountainaddict, yes touring kit's a good shout. Might well have to look into it.
snow report
Yeah I think the west coast had a good fall just before Christmas and some forecasts suggesting another 1.5m over the next week. Shame it's so off and on!

The snowfall totals over a season are probably right up there.
latest report
Mouse555 wrote:
Yeah I think the west coast had a good fall just before Christmas and some forecasts suggesting another 1.5m over the next week. Shame it's so off and on!

Yes, Scotland typically gets 200-500cm of snowfall in an average season, which is roughly the same as Zermatt in Switzerland.

In a good year, Scotland will get 500-800cm, which is close to Lech, the snowiest major resort in the European Alps.

But global boiling is killing Scotland.

The ocean and air get hotter every winter.

More thaw, more rain, more melt.

The 2019-2020 season has already seen +19c in Dec and a week of rain to the summits in Jan.

Other islands around the world also feeling the effects.

Japan is currently seeing its unsnowiest winter in ~60 years.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Mouse555 wrote:

Yes, Scotland typically gets 200-500cm of snowfall in an average season, which is roughly the same as Zermatt in Switzerland.

In a good year, Scotland will get 500-800cm, which is close to Lech, the snowiest major resort in the European Alps.

But global boiling is killing Scotland.

The ocean and air get hotter every winter.

More thaw, more rain, more melt.

The 2019-2020 season has already seen +19c in Dec and a week of rain to the summits in Jan.

Other islands around the world also feeling the effects.

Japan is currently seeing its unsnowiest winter in ~60 years.

I'm not so sure on the effects of climate change for the UK snowsports scene. With it being maritime, it seems like a slight change in prevailing wind direction or a shift in the gulfstream would have much more of an effect than rising average temperatures.

Freezing levels this week were up to around 3000m.. next week with more polar maritime flow, there might be snow on the beach. I'm not sure you get that frequent crazy fluctuation in continental areas. I think it's the lower resorts in the Alps that will really suffer in the coming years. Places that rely on people booking trips months in advance.

Scotland seems to be able to go from nothing to world class in a few days snowHead
snow report
Spot on analysis Mouse555 - we could yet be skiing/touring from next weekend into May...if not June wink
latest report
Scotland's ski season used to last Oct to Jun.

Now, it struggles to make Jan to Mar.

Total skier days have collapsed 60-95% in fifty years.

Global boiling is already smashing Scotland.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

You have no clue about Scottish ski seasons. Always best Feb-May and anything else is a bonus, snow comes and goes and that's the way it's always been with the odd exceptional/very bad year thrown in.
snow conditions
re:@Whitegold's post
snow report
You cannot ignore the facts.

Scotland once got ~600k skier days a season.

Now, it struggles to get 50-100k, due to lack of snow.

Yet more rain is forecast this week.

In the peak of coldest winter.
snow conditions
Forecast which I've just been watching has white, white and white all the time from tonight onwards, West to Central at least. Milder later on, but at least it's coming down again. Digits crossed.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Fifty years ago there weren't cheap flights to Geneva , Innsbruck from Glasgow and Edinburgh either.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy