Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste "level" guide

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flat light is when you can't tell the gradient of the slope. But can actually see the houses on the bottom 1000 metres down.

No/poor visibility is you can't see the skier 10 metres below you.

The 2 light condition affects people differently, often independent of skill levels.

A "Developer" or beyond should be able to ski in flat light. Basically, no need to "see" the snow to ski well. A lot of that comes from experience. But poor visibility is independent of skill level. An "expert" (in skill) may still struggles with vertigo when he can't tell up from down. But a beginner may not be affected by vertigo.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok thanks both. I've seen some confusion in online definitions of flat light / white out.

Zero viz is never that much fun, especially off piste. Generally I wouldn't ski off piste / tour in zero viz conditions on safety grounds alone but we often get cloud developing during the course of a morning which often entails a few hundred vertical meters of zero viz then flat light. I no longer do any hut based touring so can take things on a day to day basis with the skiing I do.

If I had to go out in zero viz I'd head for couloirs then trees but many an accident has turned into a drama in such conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the comments, I have tweaked a few descriptions and added a further level...

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/offpistelevel.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy