Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts for 1st time families

Poster: A snowHead
Was chatting to a colleague last week and he wants to take his young family skiing for the first time. I suggested Flaine and La Rosiere but I was wondering if the collective knowledge of SHs could come up with more alternatives. Where would you recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+1 for Flaine. It's where we first took our kids, brilliant nursery slope in Forum, loads of apartments close to the piste, lots of easy blues to progress onto. And as a bonus plentiful options for the parents whilst the children are in ski school.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Sailbad. I think this is a case where the whole family will be in ski school!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philhitch, Personally I would go to a smaller resort. Much more value for money for a family of beginners.

So much would depend on families preference for travel, accommodation, personal likes/dislikes as there are dozens of small family friendly places all over the Alps.

Just one example because I've been is La Norma. Contrary to my advice we went to mostly larger resorts! We also went to Les Contamines which I wouldn't recommend (steep drags, home runs). I haven't been but know of others that rate Valmeiner.

Did they ask for France particularly or is that just what you know? While I go mostly to France that is for our own reasons. Austria, Italy and others have good options based on what I've read on here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serfaus
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne - thanks for the recomendations. I mostly know France but my colleague is very open about where they go. That's why I wanted to dip into the collective SH knowledge bank!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've not been to Valmorel, but it sounds as though that would suit. I would also recommend Les Saisies. But neither of those in school holidays - and if your friend is stuck with school hols, I'd look at Italy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valmorel is a resort I have been to. I always thought it had the perfect set up for beginner families
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zauchensee
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the lecht, got me hooked as kid wink

less flippantly id go small, a pretty austrian, french, swiss, dolomiti, slovakian village

but ive always thought that aletch arena would be awesome, how cool as a kid to have to get a cable car *to* the resort
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz…. Ski-in / ski-out all in “town centre”, various French family resort certifications, great aqua centre, easy to get around and close to Geneva. There is also a club-med if that is desirable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bob wrote:
Zauchensee

Good to hear!! I’m off to Zauchensee on Saturday to take the family skiing for their first time. Hoping they all catch the ski bug.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Selva would be great, our son started his ski journey there at age of 5. Ski school very good and a decent nursery slope to progress on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pippo9 wrote:
Bob wrote:
Zauchensee

Good to hear!! I’m off to Zauchensee on Saturday to take the family skiing for their first time. Hoping they all catch the ski bug.

My kids loved it, and we still go back for a day or two when we ski in Obertauern.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Valmorel - where I took my young daughters
ski holidays
Risoul would be good
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
Selva would be great, our son started his ski journey there at age of 5. Ski school very good and a decent nursery slope to progress on.

Mine both started in Selva, but the Wife and I had had a few years under our belts by then. Selva for me is heaven in the mountains, but there's a significant issue for 1st timers out there. There are no easy blues accessible from the nursery slopes without a challenging red getting in the way. So any incremental progression beyond the nursery slopes can be problematic.
ski holidays
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:
+1 for Flaine. It's where we first took our kids, brilliant nursery slope in Forum, loads of apartments close to the piste, lots of easy blues to progress onto. And as a bonus plentiful options for the parents whilst the children are in ski school.

Second this, it's a really good mix of location facilities etc for just taking out all the things you don't need to marshal and leave everything that goes toward making a brilliant start for a family.

In addition, very different but super high convenience and great place to start, Ste Foy Tarantaise. Excellent ease of use, some fabulous progression piste from raw beginning upward and such a small friendly atmosphere.
latest report
I'd go to Italy, one of the Aosta resorts, much cheaper and in our experience much nicer to the children in restaurants etc than some of the French resorts.
snow conditions
Yes but... with no apologies for repeating myself ...... it all depends WHEN. A first family ski holiday is much better taken when the pistes - and facilities generally - will not be rammed. As a Francophile, I would work hard, and pay extra, to avoid ski trips to any French resorts during the French school holidays. The OP has given no clue as to when this trip might take place.
ski holidays
We were in Trysil, Norway in early Jan due to not getting our first French trip in. The kids weren't with us but it looked a brilliant place for a family learning to ski. Nice Radisson hotel right beside some great nursery slopes that weren't just the usual boring short carpet and gentle run.

The Radisson also had a bowling alley, decent sized pool and was very family oriented. I was very impressed.

https://www.skistar.com/en/lodging/radisson-blu-trysil/radisson-blu-resort-trysil/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 15-02-22 15:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Having re-read the OP fully, La Ros wouldn't be a bad shout. From memory it's sort of one big face of easy to medium difficulty slopes. Another consideration could be Livigno? All that's great about Italy wrapped up in a sunny, neat little package. Cool
snow conditions
@pam w, +1. Learning to ski with loads of others on the slopes can be more than a bit disconcerting. Worth knowing when each resort is likely to get busy
snow report
How young & how many & what ability?
Big advantage with Austria is free lift pass up to under 8's. Some resorts go up to 12 during certain off peak weeks.
That can be a huge saving to a family.
If France, then good value along the many options in Maurienne valley.
I find it pointless throwing money at a big area lift pass when you are barely going to get off the bunny slope.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
Avoriaz…. Ski-in / ski-out all in “town centre”, various French family resort certifications, great aqua centre, easy to get around and close to Geneva. There is also a club-med if that is desirable.

Only if going outside of school holidays. I'm in Châtel at the moment and it's great, but if you venture to Avoriaz it's mental. Twenty minute lift queues, especially on the greens, and everywhere packed.

Although it's a lovely village when it's quiet it would be a nightmare first holiday like this.
snow report
I would go at Easter to Montgenevre. La Rosiere is also good but the beginner slopes are south facing so might be better for beginners earlier in the season. Val Cenis is a good budget option. You could also consider Sainte Foy and Les Saisies.
Morillon would be a better place than Flaine in the Grand Massif in my opinion. It has a super green run called the marvel and the Sairon blue is also good for beginners.
ski holidays
tccambs wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Only if going outside of school holidays. I'm in Châtel at the moment and it's great, but if you venture to Avoriaz it's mental. Twenty minute lift queues, especially on the greens, and everywhere packed.

Although it's a lovely village when it's quiet it would be a nightmare first holiday like this.

We are in Châtel and agree Avoriaz busy but can be avoided if taking lessons or venturing towards Châtel which is not too bad this week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy