Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s open until 18th April 2020?

Poster: A snowHead
And where would worth going? I know val thorens will be open. Work have decided I need to be studying from late January till 3rd (or possibly 10th, who knows?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many of the higher French resorts will be open until the last weekend of April, and a few of them for one more week after that. So all of the 3 Valleys, Val d'Isere/Tignes, Les Arcs/La Plagne will, for example, be open until the 25th or 26th. No doubt other resorts as well.

Mid-April conditions can be amazing or very sketchy, it's difficult to know for certain. In a typical season you'd expect reasonable snow depths on and off-piste, and spring conditions (a bit icy first thing in the morning, a bit soft or slushy late afternoon). If you get the timing right for each aspect you should find decent snow for a lot of the day. Benefits would be longer daylight hours, and in general warmer temperatures although you can get a cold snap at any time of the season.

If that's your only time to get away this winter I'd have no hesitation in recommending it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pandora wrote:
And where would worth going? I know val thorens will be open. Work have decided I need to be studying from late January till 3rd (or possibly 10th, who knows?

Not sure I really understand what you're asking. You have study leave from work? Which you can do from anywhere, up until 3rd or 10th of April, and are looking for somewhere to spend that time where you can ski? OR you can't go skiing anywhere until after 3rd or 10th of April?

In terms of what will be open and likely to be good around here:

- Arlberg (St Anton etc)
- Ischgl
- Obergurgl & Sölden
- Glaciers
- Serfaus

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 17-11-19 13:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This year we are going out to La Thuile for 8 days from 3rd April.

Last season we went out 13th April for a week to Mayrhofen.

Previous years we have gone to Gressoney, Val Thorens, Les Deux Alpes, Belle Plagne, St Anton and Val D’Isere, and Courchevel. Out of those the only one I won’t worry about returning to is Les Deux Alpes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pandora, Grands Montets open till May 3rd and reliably so ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's always this...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147802
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry, half my post went missing! I was supposed to go to France in Feb half term but work have cancelled all my leave between mid Jan and mid April. I can get a week starting Easter weekend, which I know is late but I know there are places, im just not familiar with them. I have New Year weekend off but OH only has 5 days at New Year, if you include a weekend.

Thanks for ideas so far! I’m not sure I would be able to manage without at least one ski trip in a year. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adithorp wrote:
There's always this...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147802
Exactly
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As @rob@rar, says a lot will be open and the conditions could be rather variable.

A lot of tour operators are actually stopping operatoring on or before the Easter holiday so you will have to make your own arrangements. As others have pointed out in other posts even flights are getting more tricky as airlines switch routes to more summer destinations. Fortunately nothing has to be done now. You can wait until the start of April before actually booking anything. There will still be lots of self catering accommodation in Tignes (which would be my choice, but then I don't really know what you are looking for) or other high resorts. As for getting there a flight to Geneva and a hire car would be one option, or if you live in the south of England a train to Bourg st Maurice and a bus upto the resort.

You could try and source a second hand copy of Where to Ski and Snowboard for some further study.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Transport out there won’t be a problem - I have a fully flexible euro tunnel ticket (currently purchased for 15th feb but can be changed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have skied Les Deux Alpes several times at Easter. Worth a look Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For those who've done that, is Arlberg truly a good destination for April?
Been in St. Anton in March, returning this January. An amazing place but won't it be too slushy that late?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton / Lech are located in a favorable "snowpocket".

They sit at a central-Alps junction that gets slammed by snow from the north, south, east and west.

Snowiest place in Western Europe.

Almost always have good April conditions, from summit to valley.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For some reason it keeps dropping the second part of my posts, making me look really curt! I don’t mean to be. Thanks for all the suggestions so far - I just wanted to reassurance that places did stay open that late. We used to live in a ski resort and when the lifts were scheduled to close, they closed no matter how much snow was still around! There was always snow into late April but the pistes always closed on Easter Sunday. Now I know there will be at least a few places still running I can relax (as much as I can with exams!) until closer the time and see what’s available then.
snow conditions
Been going to Tignes that time of year for several years now and there has always been lots of good skiing available across Espace Killy.
latest report
@pandora, Les Arcs is due to close the last day of the Easter holidays (25/4/20). The last couple of years there has been plenty of snow until May, but since the visitors aren't coming it make sense to close the resort at a specific date and that day must be determined well in advance so staff know when they won't be required any more and can put can start planning for their next employment.
latest report
Hello All - am hoping to ski in Austria this year w/c 4 April. It would be the first time we have. Can't go any earlier due to school hols and a kid going on an exchange... to Munich. We were thinking of swinging by at the end of her week, hiring a car in Munich and driving to... where? Mayrhofen? Wagrain? Where have people skied that week before in Austria and would recommend? Have only done Val D'Isere and Les Deux Alpes that late before...
latest report
St.Anton opens until 26.04. Ischgl until first week in May (I think).
St.A doesn't keep all lifts open after 20th April, but it's usually still worth doing cos absolutely empty.
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor, we did a week later in Mayrhofen last season

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142966&highlight=

We are going the same week as you to La Thuile this season.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@Spin Doctor, we did a week later in Mayrhofen last season

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142966&highlight=

We are going the same week as you to La Thuile this season.

Thanks for this - very useful!
latest report
I have to say, empty pistes are a very attractive proposition. Half term usually gets very cosy. The earliest I’ve ever skied before was 7th Nov on their opening weekend in Banff, and latest s was 7th April in Soldeu. Both days I saw fewer than a dozen other people on the mountain. Bit more planning needed to find somewhere open for lunch though!
latest report
The two places which have still felt busy going mid April were Val Thorenrs and Les Deux Alpes. We had a quite a few lift queues to contend with in both.
snow report
I have had excellent trips to Engelberg and Saas Fee in the last week of April for the past three seasons. Good snow, uncrowded lifts and runs on all three occasions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy