Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dakine 85l - big enough for a ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
It's new bag time, and I am looking at the Dakine 85l split roller.

Question - is it big enough for a one weeks ski holiday ? (I intend to pack my ski boots in the bag)
While I travel 'light' a ski holiday requires lots of bits !

Anybody got one/used one ? : Have any views ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a 100 litre one & pack in loads!
Ive used it for weekly ski jaunts, as well as 2 week+ trips in the summer.

my only concern with ski boots is the bulk they take up. Maybe better taking them in a carry-on & whatever is in your carry on in your suitcase?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you travel light and so don't find it becessary to take more clothes than days then that should be fine.

When I ski I use a North Face medium duffel in to which goes all the kit, including ski boots and it still zips up without fuss and squishes down a bit when the compression straps are tugged, so not exactly bursting at the seems. One time I had my helmet in there too, though that was a bit of a squeeze.

Once stuffed with socks, etc ski boots don't actually take up that much space.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"..my only concern with ski boots is the bulk they take up.."

Mine too - When travelling, I have small backpack on, skis on one shoulder and dragging suitcase (containing ski boots) with free hand - may look at a larger backpack for a bit extra storage

Mjit - thanks for the info
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the 110 Dakine Split Roller, and with boots in I'd definitely not have enough room.

With the way the bag is structured do you have enough room to fit boots in the 85 litre one? My son has one but I can't take a look as he's not here at the moment, but it does look significantly smaller than the 110.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought the 100 Dakine split roller as I felt the smaller ones wouldn’t have enough room for boots and helmet without squeezing everything in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mjit wrote:
One time I had my helmet in there too, though that was a bit of a squeeze.

Now you are just showing off.........

I’ll get my coat.

Andy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'll really struggle with an 85ltr slplit roller. you need 100 ltr. Ideally not in a split format. IME it is easier to have boots in a bag which has compartments at each end.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Everyone has a different definition of 'travelling light', and which 'bits' are essential. I can squeeze a week's gear, including boots but not helmet, into a 70l undivided backpack, plus a very small handheld bag. But that would be without any electronics (other than phone) and no off-piste gear - so it depends on the trip.

I'm not a great fan of split/divided bags, as I find them inefficient. In practice it is difficult to exactly fill each compartment so you end up with less than the advertised capacity.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I ordered an 85L from Ebay, it arrived today and I have done a 'practice' pack.... snowHead

I can get my boots in the larger zipped compartment in the top half, at a squeeze, but with the rest of my gear in, the bag is stuffed.

Going to send it back and have a re-think : taking the advice from BOB into account, as my current bag is duffle style with boot compartments at either end

@ecureuil, "..difficult to exactly fill each compartment so you end up with less than the advertised capacity.." just found this out!

current bag capacity is 90 litres and I thought it too big for my gear, which is why I went for a smaller bag (mistake....)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, I find the Dakine 85l split roller too tight for all gear incl ski boots.

I get around it by maxing our on the hand baggage size. I put 1 of my ski boots in that. As I usually fly EasyJet, no weight limit on hand baggage, just need to stick within dimensions.

I also pay a bit extra for 23kg hold bag allowance, which with 85l bag I’m comfortably within.

If I fly different airline with 20kg limit and, say, 5kg hand baggage, I find that difficult to comply with.

I like the quality and design of the split roller though.
snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, wrote "..If I fly different airline with 20kg limit and, say, 5kg hand baggage, I find that difficult to comply with. .."

thanks for that - you have confirmed my suspicions
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It's new bag time, and I am looking at the Dakine 85l split roller.

Question - is it big enough for a one weeks ski holiday ? (I intend to pack my ski boots in the bag)
While I travel 'light' a ski holiday requires lots of bits !

I have one and it's fine (but I have trouble getting my skis into it)

One part holds the boots, socks, gloves, hat, trousers, goggles, base and midlayers. The other side holds toothpaste, sun cream and other toileteries, other clothes, phone chargers etc. The carry on bag holds kindle, passports, drugs, spare jumper and other things I remembered at the last minute. I wear my ski jacket and the single pair of shoes I take with me. TBH I struggle to fill it. It amazes me how tightly skin clothing packs down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dont get taking a 4.5kg bag that is all zips compartments and pockets yet wont fit anything inside.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
(but I have trouble getting my skis into it) snowHead
latest report
@Bob, wrote "..IME it is easier to have boots in a bag which has compartments at each end...." -- Bob, which bag to you have ?

----------

@Tirol 164, wrote "...4.5kg bag that is all zips compartments and pockets yet wont fit anything inside.." Tirol, again, curious as to what bag you use ??
ski holidays
I would have to write a long post to explain ...
In a nutshell I forget the brands most are too heavy often too small trendy guff .
Certain osprey fit the job at cost but this buys a warranty too .
Today the store bag ranges are very good but like athletic winter clothing and skiboot buying ..buying online isnt always successful.

The other option is its just a travel bag that gets dirty so must be functional ,very light and bigger than needed imo then replace .
The airlines will destroy it anyway some airlines will replace it taking 8 months or if not.... try another on the next flight .
Either way one bag isnt enough I found .

I certainly wouldnt buy Northface or Dakine 85l split roller nothing more than a overweight overpriced undersized fashion statement .
I do use the DaKine board bags as they are durable but the best are not exactly light so now I trade durability for another light weight type and pack things well

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-08-19 16:13; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

I certainly wouldnt buy Northface or Dakine 85l roller nothing more than a overweight overpriced undersized

OK I have to ask the question. What is it that people are taking on ski holidays that makes 85l too small? Am I missing something that I should be taking with me?
ski holidays
If you have near 3000 ski posts ...have you ever packed a bag ?

If so then you know what volume weight wheels you need .
Others above have made good points .
What impact does buying a 100 ltr vs 85 ltr have ...just get the bigger one for the unexpected

Short trips are different to months it all varys even which airport I use .
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I certainly wouldnt buy Northface or Dakine 85l roller nothing more than a overweight overpriced undersized

OK I have to ask the question. What is it that people are taking on ski holidays that makes 85l too small? Am I missing something that I should be taking with me?

Probably not taking more than they should , however, boots and a helmet are both bulky , and a helmet won't fit into the split format of many bags. No. I'm not hanging my helmet on the outside of my hand luggage. I don't subscribe to the redneck hobo look .
snow report
Saw this suggestion of how to pack helmet skis kit etc in a ski bag

http://youtube.com/v/tarMtUAqrKo

Given aussies have to travel for lots of snow, may be they are on to something
snow report
Just putting this to bed !

I returned the Dakine 85l and bought a Caribee Scarecrow 70mc (75litre ?). It took my 'practice' pack gear with a small bit of space left. Total weight 15K (including boots!).
Like the Dakine it is of the 'Split' design, but the top compartment is accessible from the top (I believe this is called 'Drop Bottom').

The interior design (you can have one big compartment or two 50/50) seems to allow for more gear than the Dakine.
latest report
Sportpursuit.com?

(also guilty as charged... Embarassed )
ski holidays
SBP wrote:
Sportpursuit.com?

(also guilty as charged... Embarassed )

No -- BagsDirect :

(resists the temptation to visit SportsPursuits..)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 6-09-19 9:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Have some "gateway" offers...

Caribee Sacrecrow 70l £95
Dakine Roller 110l £125

or Dakine Tram bag 79 or 85L £80

[mwah ha ha ha... Twisted Evil ]
ski holidays
that site is the worst for finding things !
I did do a general search and it didn't bring up the Scarecrow -- however do a specific 'Scarecrow' search and there it is …..

How do you find Gateway offers ??
ski holidays
albob wrote:
that site is the worst for finding things !
I did do a general search and it didn't bring up the Scarecrow -- however do a specific 'Scarecrow' search and there it is …..

How do you find Gateway offers ??

"Gateway offer" as in "Gateway drug offer".... Sportpursuit once and their emails will follow you forever....

Best to do a search by brand or item. Caribee leapt out as it is one of their specials every now and then.
Since Sportpursuit works like many other operators, scanning unsold/old stock nationally/internationally, their Caribee stuff likely comes from the same place as BagsDirect

Its worth casting an eye over their weekly email offers, as off season you can pick up some things 60-40% off.
Some offers go really quickly - a whole load of Arcteryx ski touring backpacks last year went in a day

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 6-09-19 10:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Roger that...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy