Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bloody buggery Brexit and carnets

Poster: A snowHead
So if we crash out at the end of the month, does anyone have a clue what the situation will be with taking ski kit into and out of the EU? The rules seem clear, but are they likely to be rigorously applied?

For instance, I guess (?) that a pair of skis and boots on a package holiday flight won't require an ATA carnet (£325.96p to you, Squire) but what if you are driving down with several lots of kit for mates and family who are flying in (as I sometimes do)? Will you need one then? Do we even know yet? I'm planning on several weeks and a half-season ticket in the Monte Rosa in January and it would be nice to know...

See link, which mentions sports goods and laptops specifically...

[url=]https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily[/url]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back in the before-time, it was an absolute bugg for racing cars in Europe as if you went over with tyres and spares, you had to carnet the lot, and bring back the busted kit with you to prove you hadn't sold them. I knew of rally crews going around begging up tyre carcasses to refill the vans.

I pity Spyderjon hauling kit over for the ESOB tests...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to have a carnet for a portable computer, made travelling a fair bit slower.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let's not worry about this!

Has anybody, anybody at all...ever, had to Carnet their kit going to the USA, Canada, Japan, South America, Australia, NZ...even Georgia, Pakistan, Iran ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rungsp, the carnet is for business purposes, not for individuals taking sports equipment abroad for personal use. So it will affect taking multiple items of test gear, but not a tourist taking their own gear. However, an individual taking multiple pairs of skis might have a few questions to answer...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@queenie pretty please, If the individual is a ski instructor then the equipment could be seen as being for business use, particularly if it was bought through special instructor offers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back in the day I worked summer vacations in the AA office in Cardiff. We issued lots of carnets and bail bonds for people taking their cars "on the continent".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
However, an individual taking multiple pairs of skis might have a few questions to answer...

And that's my concern. Northern France will be hit hard by Brexit and one might reasonably expect the border guards to be a bit tetchy at their friends' and relatives' lives being mucked around. It wouldn't surprise me if they made a point of playing strictly it by the rules. Might have to wave my newly-acquired Irish passport to sooth the savage customs official breast... Sad Confused rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sweeney Todd, I suspect it'll only soothe them if you arriving from an RoI port... Rolling off the le shuttle with a GB plate car stuffed to the gunnels with new skis, while brandishing an still-in-wrapper Irish passport may identify you merely as 'le derriere intelligente'... And one soon to meet 'les gants caoutchouc'
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

gants caoutchouc

You don't need those to find a pair of skis.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

@Sweeney Todd, I suspect it'll only soothe them if you arriving from an RoI port... Rolling off the le shuttle with a GB plate car stuffed to the gunnels with new skis, while brandishing an still-in-wrapper Irish passport may identify you merely as 'le derriere intelligente'... And one soon to meet 'les gants caoutchouc'

The Irish passport will prove that the person has the right under EU law to work/carry out business in France, therefore no carnet is necessary for any business equipment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, I'm not planning on hiding them up my back bottom.... Shocked

@Android2000, Ah, but surely that wouldn't allow an EU citizen to import/export goods tax or carnet-free to/from a country not in the EU...? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmm, it seems you need internet superpowers to type "arse" on here....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Android2000, depends on point of origin of the goods in question being inside the EU. The EU citizen, being then the importer, would have to account for the goods for the duration of their transit. The carnet is the manifest of those goods and tax would be liable on any items not leaving the EU zone on exit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@Android2000, Ah, but surely that wouldn't allow an EU citizen to import/export goods tax or carnet-free to/from a country not in the EU...?

No, but these carnets are about bringing work-related equipment into the EU, not exporting goods. As you said, the guidance even talks about laptops. As an Irish citizen, who travels from UK to EU27 all the time with my work latop, I'll be getting my Irish passport out if anyone wants to see a carnet.
latest report
rungsp wrote:
Let's not worry about this!

Has anybody, anybody at all...ever, had to Carnet their kit going to the USA, Canada, Japan, South America, Australia, NZ...even Georgia, Pakistan, Iran ?

Correct, thank you.

Back in the 70s and 80s in far-pre-Schengen days (and pre-tunnel, pre-autoroute via Reims or to Lille, and everyone on the ferry had scurvy), I used to drive to France or Austria with a car bulging with kit and never had a problem. So for Austria I would cross borders going into France, Belgium, Germany and Austria and mainly that involved a flash of the old blue passport (I'm not making any Brexit-related point there, it just happened to be blue). Typically the cars being stopped at the Austro-German border at Kufstein were either Austrian or German number plates. Other than carrying five different currencies, and needing a typhoid jab for Austria (seriously) I can't recall it being a hassle. I'm sure Boris will have us going back in time soon enough Laughing

I reckon we'll either still be in the EU or in a two year transition period so this particular can will be kicked further down the autobahn and not a thing to worry about yet.
snow report
Fly to Geneva.

Rent a Swiss car.

Drive to France.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy