Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Options from Innsbruck Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a few short break to Austria.
Can only fly into Innsbruck since EJ fly there 3 days a week, compared to only once a week for Salz.
I have narrowed down a few areas & would be looking at using public transport.

My other 1/2 lacks confidence, so still likes to do big wide turns (snowboarders). She hates narrow tracks! plus traffic!
Any advice on which would be best option?

Looking at Serfaus ski area - but public transport looks like a potential nightmare!
Somewhere along the Ziller/Myhofren - Train to Jenbach & ziller rail from there
Brixen
Kirchberg
I am pretty much ruling out St Anton as I don't think she will enjoy it, so would rather her experience it when she gets over the fear.

Something to do in the evenings would be handy as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fugen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mr.Egg, Look at the resorts around Landeck, easy to get to.

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/landeck/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My girlfriend did her first trip in Mayrhofen in March through work, she said Kaltenhbach was great, really wide runs. Easy to get to via train from Mayrhofen if you wanted a livlier resort, but I guess on a short break you wouldn't want that journey in the mornings.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of narrow tracks in Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My recollection from a few years ago was that a taxi from the nearest train station up to Serfaus cost about €50. SFL does have a few narrow track, but the only one that's unavoidable is the link from PZ to Masner. For a short break you could stay in Fiss and concentrate on the massively wide runs down on the North side, I think that'd be a perfect area for your other half. Obergurgl could be a good option, the Hochgurgl area in particular is great for wide open cruising pistes.

Nauders is a great wee area for a short break, just up the main valley from SFL and some really wide pistes. Maybe a bit flat for the last bit of the return to the main gondola.

In the Zillertal Kaltenbach has got the best skiing and some cracking bars/huts on the mountain but the village is tiny and there's no night life. Mayrhofen is a much livelier town but lots of the blues are narrow roads and the pistes are usually busier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, which dates are you thinking ?

Fugen/Kaltenbach would be my choice. Kaltenbach is quiet and not much going on but some good hotels in both Fugen and Kaltenbach. Stumm is attractive but small village, a few small hotels.

I wouldn’t choose Mayrhofen for a nervous boarder as much is steep.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, as much as I'm tempted to suggest you throw away your passport and stay at home away from all the nasty foreigners given your regularly expressed views on Brexit, I sincerely hope that more foreign travel will broaden your mind...

Try Zell am Ziller - the local slopes are OK, and the runs out to Gerlos and Konigsleiten are lovely once you can handle the backside of the hill which is an area I always think of as total wilderness. Once on the top, there are no trees or signs of life until you get right to the very bottom and find the lift, which is hidden from you until the last minute. I love that run, and there are opportunities to play off to the right hand side as long as you scout it out from the chairlift first on a return journey so you know where the small number of holes are. However, the lifts can be closed by high winds, so getting stuck on the wrong side means a bus trip or taxi back along the valley.

Avoid anything further up the Zillertal - good fun, but not for nervous people.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mr.Egg, hire car at airport (freeeedom and probably cheaper) and drive over the Brenner to somewhere like Val Gardena - around 90 minutes. Got everything you require.

Some are suggesting Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis but Solden/Obergugl are nearer and probably tick your boxes too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both Serfaus / Fiss and Zillertal are easy to reach using public transport from Innsbruck. For Serfaus / Fiss train to Landeck then bus from right outside station, you can book a ticket all the way through. Zillertal is main line train to Jenbach then Zillertalbahn for locations down to Mayrhofen. Ischgl is also easily reachable from Landeck but it is quite a long bus ride. St Anton is probably the most convenient as the station is right in the centre of the village. Stuben, Zürs and Lech are easy too with train to Langen (the trains either stop at St Anton or Langen not both). Other potential options using public transport are Seefeld, Hopfgarten, Westendorf, Kirchberg or Kitzbühel (train station doesnt work well for Brixen).

I would say all resorts have both wide slopes and tracks, all of them have pluses and minuses. I would go with either Serfaus / Fiss or one of the Zillertal areas, Kaltenbach is the shortest journey times. St Anton really isnt as difficult as reputation suggests but it can get busy at certain times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+ Kaltenbach.

Easy/quick to get there on the train from Innsbruck. Good skiing.

Stay right at the bottom of the uplift for convenience. Quiet, but you’re there to ski right.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Public Transportation is Excellent is Austria.

On time and inexpensive.

Just stay in Innsbruck

Plenty of ski areas on the tram and bus network..

Apres Ski Innsbruck every day
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
Fugen.

That’s a good call which is refreshing.
A normal Whitegold response to this type of question might be.

Verbier.
Courchevel.
La Grave.

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Train to Langen, short bus ride to Stuben and ski the Arlberg/Lech: Zurs (ignoring St.Anton) ski area
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Keep your money to support the British ski industry not spend it on those dirty foreigns. If its good enough for TVs it's good enough for snowsports.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, Never done it myself but there have been lots of recommendations to stay in Innsbruck and use the local hills.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, you do know that the whole of Austria is full of foreigners? Have you considered Ski-Wales, or maybe Ski-Lake-District? I think Scotland is also a bit foreign and might not be very welcoming.
ski holidays
Cheers
Would be going late March.

Very much along my own thinking of central in Ziller like Klattenbach or the other direction to Serfaus.
My potential issue with Serfaus (which is my preferred option) is the infrequency of busses from/to the the train station. Especially return journey with an 11am flight. There is a Bus, Train the F bus back to the airport that should get me back to the airport before 9am, so it is do-able.

She enjoyed Stubai last year, but staying in Innsbruck the 1hr+ bus ride makes it a long day.... Or worse, they decide not to open because of the weather!
latest report
@Mr.Egg, As others have said, the Zillertal is very easy to get to by train from Innsbruck, and Kaltenbach has lovely large wide pistes which should be very suitable for your other half. The only tip I'd give is that the home run down back to the gondola station (called the Stefan Eberharter Gold Piste) is best done earlier in the day if you're doing it at all as at the end of the day it gets loads of people on it and it can get cut up and icy, best to download in the gondola at finishing time. There's a few hotels in Kaltenbach itself, but personally I can recommend the Hotel Alpina in the adjacent village of Ried, the food is excellent and it has a Spa and Indoor Pool. There's a free ski bus service that stops right outside the hotel which takes you to the Kaltenbach gondola base station.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
St Anton is probably the most convenient as the station is right in the centre of the village.

Well it was about 20 years ago, then they went and moved it.
snow conditions
@Pruman, it is still only a five minute walk from the station to the Galzig lift.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy