Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for a week in Feb, Flying to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Here I go again. Asking for advice from the experts on the board, so thanks in advance. Flying to Geneva in mid-Febuary (likely during UK 1/2 term as our Boston vaca schedule seems to always be during that period). That is all that is planned at this point and we are open to any and all ideas. We have been to Chamonix/Courmeveur in the past via Geneva. Also skied tigne, zermatt 3v, st. anton so have an idea on how to navigate to and around the resorts.

Its been a long time since I been to Cham, and while a pain to get to the different resorts, I really like the terrain there. Valle blanche was special for me when i did it. In hindsight not very hard to ski, but pretty neat experience. The family unit is just 2 adults and a teenager. My daughter is very good on and off piste, and I would like to do at least one (maybe 2) guided off piste day (s). I am an pretty solid skier, prefer "off trail" and spending all day through the gates when skiing in the US. Wife is a nervous intermediate, will likely not ski every day, so any side pursuits in a nice village would be an added plus.

I can rent a car if it makes sense, but also happy to just take a bus from GVA to whatever resort.

Thought/suggestions/ideas appreciated. Thanks again SHs
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whilst Val d'Isere has amazing off piste skiing and has a lovely village for your wife to explore, I would probably look to go to Switzerland as this is the main French holiday period.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It sounds like you have done many of the meatier/mega resorts. One place not listed is Paradiski. The off piste there is underrated. It's the ski area we ski most and we ski off piste a lot. The piste skiing is also excellent. Some people complain about the lifts/bottlenecks but I think it's no worse than anywhere.

I've skied the VB twice via different routes. For sure a tick in the bucket list but in reality I wouldn't break my back to ski in Chamonix. I have kids currently age 12 & 14 and we naturally ski mellower off piste and ski in/ski out convenience and cheap apartment rental were/are a bigger priority.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Redwine, slightly left field, Monterosa might be an interesting change? It's about 40 mins further than Courmayeur. Will be busier at UK 1/2 term, but maybe less so than the FR resorts. Reasonable chances of guided off piste. High. Good value for money?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given your previous likes, what about Verbier?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
many many good ideas. thank you. Have some weekend research that needs to be done.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
since you been everywhere else, then 2nded for the four valleys
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. Verbier
2. Gstaad
3. Saas Fee
4. Serre Chevalier
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the mrs would quite like the 4V, and to be honest, its one of the places that I try also. Too bad the CHF is not as cheap as GBP and EUR for us yanks these days, but what can you do. I will move convo to a Verbier specific board if more appropriate, but where to stay in the 4V? the main town seems quite expensive. Where else in the valley is a good place to look for lodging that is a little kinder on the wallet. We loved 3V, stayed in upper Meribel, but I think we should have stayed a bit lower and saved a few $$ and/or gotten a better apartment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about driving through the Mont Blanc Tunnel into Italy? Really good idea to avoid France, though not all the French holiday weeks are equally bad. What are your dates?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thyon, Veysonnaz, Nendaz, Siviez, La Tzoumaz, and Le Chable are where the poor people stay.

But they suck. Like ghost-towns.

If traveling that distance, best to lodge where the action is. In Verbier.

Book early and fast and get a good deal.

Always plenty apartments and hotels for 3 in Verbier for $1000-1500 a week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Probably best to avoid the French resorts in mid Feb due to both French and British half terms. Not as many Brits going to CH these days due to the exchange, so maybe Wengen worth considering. It's accessible by train from GVA airport - although you have to be prepared for several changes en route - and has great skiing, both on and off piste. Your wife could have a day trip up on the train to the Jungfraujoch which is quite an experience plus also down the valley to Interlaken by train.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
consider Grimentz/Zinal. Might be too boring for your spouse on off days, but my wife and I spent a few days there in 2017 (staying in St. Luc) and found it very charming. Would be a big change of pace from the other places you have skied in Europe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
since you been everywhere else

Nothing wrong with going back to the same place mind. In fact there are positive reasons for doing so.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We usually travel during the worst time. Next year it will be Feb 15-22. I just assume it is during UK and FRA school holiday.
ski holidays
Ignore @Whitegold - the usual arrogant misinformation from someone with a chip on their shoulder.
latest report
Redwine wrote:
We usually travel during the worst time. Next year it will be Feb 15-22. I just assume it is during UK and FRA school holiday.

You'd be correct
snow report
Italy should be quite a bit cheaper than Switzerland.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Redwine wrote:

You'd be correct

Good old Scottish holiday dates, we are the week before so looking to miss the crowds
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Redwine, slightly left field, Monterosa might be an interesting change? It's about 40 mins further than Courmayeur. Will be busier at UK 1/2 term, but maybe less so than the FR resorts. Reasonable chances of guided off piste. High. Good value for money?

Being from the other side of the world I have very limited experience in this subject but I was going to suggest the same thing. I will be checking this area out next time I'm in Europe.
latest report
@Redwine, what’s your budget? Try Airbnb? For example this is in a good location right on the piste by Le Rouge 1400chf for the week. https://abnb.me/PahiAAdRAZ
snow report
Try Champoluc in Italy...part of the Monterosa ski area. Good value, pretty village, fantastic Italian food. Great off piste opportunities. I think there’s now a nice spa and swimming centre in the village for non skiing options. It’s not too much of a drive beyond Courmayeur, but if you’re arriving on the Saturday, the airport and motorways will be really busy whichever direction you go.
snow conditions
@Redwine, good point from @Perty what days do you land/depart?

If you have not yet booked flights and holidays allow, were you to consider Italy, from Geneva, arriving on the Friday (or better Thursday) and departing Sunday - with probable nights in, say, a cheap hotel in Aosta would avoid the lengthy delays for the Mont Blanc Tunnel - or, if Saturdays are fixed, you could take the scenic route via the Brand St Bernard... which is longer but almost certainly quicker.

Just for clarity, Champoluc is in the Monterosa area - but to an extent, if you're priority is guided days - and you aren't skinning up, one of the Gressoneys or Alagna are better - but if you want a happy wife, Champoluc is definitely, definitely better. Mind you - you can heli-ski from any of them ...
ski holidays
to @under a new name, point, you really want to try and avoid weekend arrival. Monterosa is a really good idea, and hopefully will help you avoid some of the more crowded areas at peak time. My fav would be Gressoney.
snow report
@Redwine,
I go to Nendaz most Easters , certainly a lot cheaper than Verbier at Easter , look at Interhome for accommodation. Better views than Vebier and with the new lifts quick access to the whole area.
snow conditions
@Bob, As half the in-laws came from Champoluc, and have always had property there, I've never stayed in any Gressonney, nor Alagna (unless you cound the Guglielmina Crying or Very sad ) - is there much for a non skier to do other than walking or consuming?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy