Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
One girl died by sled in Italy in Jan 2019 and a man died in Maine in Jan 2018.

Slammed into trees, etc.

Western ski resorts want to stop sledding on or near slopes.

Particularly dangerous in Dec to Feb of peak-winter, when trails can be very icy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@John617, oh yes! its not on the new map, so that just leaves the Colorado sledge run in Plagne Centre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@John617, You could always try here - https://en.la-plagne.com/explore-the-multitude-of-activities-on-offer/plunge-into-the-heart-of-winter/bobsleigh-skeleton-sled

Not sure if they'd let you on with your Ebay sledges though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm surprised there isn't a small run set up (officially or unofficially) around Belle Plagne as it's such a family resort. Avoriaz tends to have lots of sledging happening just off Village des Enfants (once it's closed for the day). Only small slopes but it keeps the kids happy. Similarly in Val Thorens, the little sledging run by the magic carpet that splits the town works really well.

Once the kids finish skiing for the day, then it's not uncommon for them to want to sledge so it's in the resorts interests to have some place for them to indulge that keeps them off the pistes but close to the apartments/bars/watching parents.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The bottom of the main slope into La Tania is also a mass of sledging kids most evenings when I've been there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There IS plenty of unofficial sledging in Belle Plagne - on the gentle linking runs connecting residences to/from pistes at the top of the village (and occasionally on the main piste through as well).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for confirming, @ecureuil - good to know.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ecureuil that is good to hear, take more energy out of the children.
I was going to leave my E Bay sledges at home, however when I read their sales description again, it was so glowing, I am sure they could take on the twisting run that skichamp highlighted, which is located above Roche. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's been some cannoning round the back of Plagne Villages

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
....system testing or confidence that the weather's going to be cold for a while ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ukredsox wrote:
....system testing or confidence that the weather's going to be cold for a while ?

On that note... There's been quite a bit of snow over past week, and more to come tomorrow but it's still only mid-November, and we've all seen early snow disappear in a warm spell in previous years.

So at what point do we get a high degree of confidence that this early snow will stick (barring an unseasonally warm spell). Are we already reasonably confident that anything above, say, 1800m will stick now. Or should that figure be 2000m? Or do we have to get into December before we're confident enough that it'll then be cold enough to stick around.

Obviously there's loads of caveats but just interested in what the consensus is..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip, there is no magic point.
All possibilities have occurred.
Wonderful deep November snow has been washed away in early December torrential rain - i think that happened 2010.
Then the following year there was no snow until December 5th, and then it dumped and kept dumping.
Past seasons are not really any help in suggesting what is going to happen.
As the experts on the Weather Thread keep emphasising: beyond a few days it is little better that guesswork.
Even so, we all grab at straws.
Much to the amusement of Mrs Jonpim, i avidly watch weather sites with increasing frequency as the Season gets ever nearer.
It is almost an obsession.
MeteoFrance suggests rain then snow and staying cold.
MeteoBlue is more positive with no rain, just snow.
So, ignore the negative forecast sites, and go with the snowy ones.
You have to Believe! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, these are quotes from my live TR report to Oz-en-Oisan (ADH) - which is at 1350m in 2013:

Quote:
Woke up to today, Wednesday Christmas Day, to lashing rain. The snow in the town is now all but washed away. Prediction for snow overnight and falling temperatures.

Followed by:

Quote:
Yay! Woke this morning to this...

Things can change either way in 24 hours.

I would say 2000m+ should stick
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, you've sold it to me.. i'm on board!!

@Layne, fair point about everything can change in 24hrs. Above 2000m seems about right. Val Thorens is at 2300m and they open in the next week or so, so they must be pretty confident.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Accepting that it all could still be washed away, it's still better to look at than a year ago

ski holidays
ukredsox, you're worse than me.
You don't only watch the webcams: you take screen shots and keep them for next year . . .
Way to go! Smile
(and very good you do too: most interesting to see the difference)
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
ukredsox, you're worse than me.
You don't only watch the webcams: you take screen shots and keep them for next year . . .
Way to go! Smile
(and very good you do too: most interesting to see the difference)

Unfortunately, I can't claim credit for this.

It's a new feature on the LP webcams that allows comparison with earlier photos.

The centre bar slides horizontally.

Quite nifty

I just did a screen grab and posted a cropped version
ski holidays
Just looking at the online piste map for 2019/20 https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/plan-des-pistes

I'm curious as to why that gentle slope under the 'France' building and Boulevard Chair in Plagne Centre is now showing as a blue rather than a green.
It's so flat that some poling is needed at times

ski holidays
@ukredsox, That does seem odd, I remember when learning to ski in La Plagne that my instructor described that piste as the only genuinely green run in La Plagne. Looking at the rest of the map I would guess that they are deciding that green piste="nursery slope" which this one doesn't really count as since it actually goes somewhere!
ski holidays

There is a nice base at the moment and cold. The cannons were running for 2 days solid and there is some great big mounds of snow around Plagne center and by the becoin chair. Talking to a local they wouldn’t waste the water if they did not have confidence of it staying cold.
snow report
Pistes are being prepared... https://www.facebook.com/LaPlagne/videos/425812484734862/?t=33/
ski holidays
He had an early start...

latest report
I'm about to book lessons with ESF Montalbert for the kids this Christmas and the lesson and lift pass combo is cheaper than buying them separately.
The downside as far as I can see is that I cant get my Edenski points on the lift pass bit. Unless anyone knows differently?
ski holidays
following this thread again as it dropped off my watch list Very Happy
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:
following this thread again as it dropped off my watch list Very Happy

Chris, how could you let that happen?

Will make sure I let you know when to look out for me on the webcams NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
@SteveM, don’t make me jealous now! Another barron season looms for me Sad
snow conditions
I've found myself on the webcams a couple of times.

One was sat on a bench in Montalbert eating my lunch.

More excitingly was finding myself walking up the piste above the Glacier lift in order to get the Yuge App to register me at 3000m Cool

snow report
Finally sorted something out for xmas after trawling the internet for deals and places than mostly meet criteria, heading to La Plagne 1800, looking forward to skiing somewhere new...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Martin, 1800 is an excellent choice to be for Xmas. A quiet village with an excellent bar and some good restaurants. One of Father Christmas's favourite places Smile
ski holidays
I wonder if any can explain why weather forecast on La Plagne site is so pessimistic?
Webcams show snow at Plagne Centre (rain at Montalbert Sad ).
Forecast for next few days is rain rain rain on La Plagne site.
But MeteoFrance and other sites all have lower temperatures and snow Confused
I'm doing the usual and going with snowy forecast and ignoring any rainy ones snowHead
snow report
My usual set of sites, all showing snow to me Smile

https://wepowder.com/en/plagne-centre
http://www.lineameteo.it/spaghi.php?lati=45.5082&longi=6.6766
https://www.bergfex.com/la-plagne/wetter/prognose/
https://meteoexploration.com/forecasts/La-Plagne/

Personally I'm liking the over enthusiastic wepowder one Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-11-19 16:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
I wonder if any can explain why weather forecast on La Plagne site is so pessimistic?
I'm doing the usual and going with snowy forecast and ignoring any rainy ones snowHead

I tend to stick with snow-forecast.com and Bergfex.

How reliable are those ?
snow report
*** REMINDER TO ALL ***

If you're planning on a season pass for Paradiski / Les Arcs / La Plagne - or planning on more than a couple of weeks here - then buy your pass before the end of November as the 20% discount expires at the end of the month. The current adult price of €856 for a whole season in Paradiski is currently below the price of a 17 day pass, so get in there while you can!
latest report
ukredsox wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

I tend to stick with snow-forecast.com and Bergfex.

How reliable are those ?

The different base forecasters producing different models and then different providers to end users such as TV channels, websites, etc.

Quote:
Where does your weather model come from?

Although the actual snowfall forecasts are made using our computers at snow-forecast.com, the raw weather forecast data comes from the National Weather Service (NWS) in America; the largest organisation of its kind in the world. Serious weather forecasting requires massive computer power, vast expertise and an almost unlimited budget. Only a very few organisiations in the world can achieve this, arguably only two! If they are honset, most small weather companies derive their products from people like NOAA and ECMWF, and those that don't would probably become much more reliable if they did! To our credit we do much more than simply re-package NOAA products, but without them as a basis, our service couldn't exist at all.

We use the Global Forecast System (GFS) weather models for our input data. For our purposes these are ideal, not only because they are detailed, reliable and frequently updated, but also, because they are intended for aviation planning. Thus, they contain accurate descriptions of how conditions vary with elevation. This provides the key to how we derive surface temperature over a wide range of altitudes using digital elevation models. When we combine this with preciptiation forecasts, we arrive at snowfall.

Bergfex I believe gets their information from each of the ski areas who will get it from one of the base forecasters or a weather service they supply.

Here's an article about forecasting in the States: https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/122/

And another general one: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/30/weather-forecast-apps-smartphone-predictions-forecasting
ski holidays
Over the years I have found this Meteo France site the best, it was compiled in Bourg St Maurice, not sure if it still is.
It's certainly accurate ish 24 hours ahead - as for the rest its about as accurate as The UK Met Office.
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

The drop down menu on each day gives the LIMITE PLUIE/NEIGE this is quite accurate hence its raining in Montalbert this afternoon but snowing higher up snowHead
snow report
Watching the snowline creep down each day in Montalbert snowHead

https://laplagne.roundshot.com/montalbert/
latest report
Yes, boredsurfin, I tend to go with Meteofrance (on your advice), and it certainly is the jolliest site for snow at the moment with snow today, then sun for a bit, then temperatures lowering and back to snow next week just in time for our arrival snowHead
ski holidays
The snowline is below Montalbert now...
https://laplagne.roundshot.com/montalbert/
latest report
Yes, boredsurfin, your village is looking quite lovely snowHead
But even more weird on the Forecasting front: La Plagne site is predicting snow for the next 3 days, while Meteofrance and other sites are forecasting sun to Friday with the snow starting next Sunday Puzzled
snow report
@Jonpim, which site are you looking at?

Here maybe https://en.la-plagne.com/weather
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy