Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2019/2020

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well half term is done for me and what a great week it was, Tuesday was an amazing day, skiing the col de Fret down to Champagny en Haut in near perfect conditions. Wednesday I was too hungover for a proper ski but it snowed. Thursday was an epic, we opened the Rosset and followed on to couloir 2800 and finished off with a run down Freolin all without another ski track in site. Friday saw us take a picnic to the recently damaged refuge de Plaisance skiing the cul de nant, finishing off with a north face of the saint jacques.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Webcams look snowy and heavy snow forecast today and tomorrow.

Anyone out next week is going to have some wonderful conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
John617, horses for courses: we rather like Derochoir.
But like Crozats, it starts all rather flat and easy-looking, then over the brow it can turn ugly: the middle section of Derochoir can be large rock hard moguls dotted with skiers who wished they had gone somewhere else.
Unfortunately, as mentioneed by boredsurfin, it is often closed. As is Rochu and Bellecote. In good conditions all three runs are lovely.
It was open last week, but closed today.


It's fine for what it is but it's not normally all that enjoyable as it can be a bit of a nightmare with all the punters. Especially if the glacier has just opened, punters everywhere, with folk lying sprawled across the moguls like extras from 1917, others careering into the next bump and then the rest clinging to the sides for dear life. Spices it up though as you can slalom them as well as the bumps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charliee wrote:
Well half term is done for me and what a great week it was, Tuesday was an amazing day, skiing the col de Fret down to Champagny en Haut in near perfect conditions. Wednesday I was too hungover for a proper ski but it snowed. Thursday was an epic, we opened the Rosset and followed on to couloir 2800 and finished off with a run down Freolin all without another ski track in site. Friday saw us take a picnic to the recently damaged refuge de Plaisance skiing the cul de nant, finishing off with a north face of the saint jacques.


A few classics in there. Sounds epic. Heard about it, but where is 2800? Drop in from further along the piste from where you ski in to rochu/bellecote?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Super Tennents, take Rochu into the big bowl, traverse right walk up for a few minutes to the top of a wide couloir (2800) from there you can ski across towards the entrance of the Freolin.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
Webcams look snowy and heavy snow forecast today and tomorrow.

Anyone out next week is going to have some wonderful conditions.


I'm there next week but I'm more worried about too much snow! I like to see where I'm going...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charliee wrote:
@Super Tennents, take Rochu into the big bowl, traverse right walk up for a few minutes to the top of a wide couloir (2800) from there you can ski across towards the entrance of the Freolin.


Ah ok, I know where you are. Will (hopefully) check it out in 2 weeks when I'm there.

As an aside, when there's good powder, how much fun are the faces underneath the chalet de bellecote chair. Can't beat a few hours lapping it. Those days when the glacier has been shut all week, then you get up and there's this nice and stable powder all over the sector.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pinball13 - here here. When can I start the anti-snow dance Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Count down to flying out on Saturday. Snow looks good, not checked out the forecast yet..any updates from those there at moment?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Super Tennents wrote:
As an aside, when there's good powder, how much fun are the faces underneath the chalet de bellecote chair. Can't beat a few hours lapping it. Those days when the glacier has been shut all week, then you get up and there's this nice and stable powder all over the sector.

We go to La Plagne a lot and we very rarely go up the Glacier. It's shut a fair bit, there are often queues and there is a plenty to go out without going up there. Always fancy the idea of doing the north face though and some of the variants that lead down to the bottom of the chair you mention above.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Super Tennents wrote:
Count down to flying out on Saturday. Snow looks good, not checked out the forecast yet..any updates from those there at moment?

Couldn't be looking any better at the stage I would say with plenty of snow already and fresh drops forecast over the next fee days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Super Tennents, @Layne, check out my report on the Les Arcs thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148502 for conditions today in the whole area including La Plagne today. Also photos of amazing powder on the Bellecote and other places in the last few days. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The big question for today is... rain or snow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip, webcams show snow at plagne Centre. And at Montalbert.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy wrote:
@Super Tennents, @Layne, check out my report on the Les Arcs thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148502 for conditions today in the whole area including La Plagne today. Also photos of amazing powder on the Bellecote and other places in the last few days. Very Happy

As I am not likely to be skiing again this season and I am insanely jealous I'll probably pass Skullie Laughing wink
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:
Super Tennents wrote:
As an aside, when there's good powder, how much fun are the faces underneath the chalet de bellecote chair. Can't beat a few hours lapping it. Those days when the glacier has been shut all week, then you get up and there's this nice and stable powder all over the sector.

We go to La Plagne a lot and we very rarely go up the Glacier. It's shut a fair bit, there are often queues and there is a plenty to go out without going up there. Always fancy the idea of doing the north face though and some of the variants that lead down to the bottom of the chair you mention above.


Never really found it busy up there tbh. If it is shut and there's been snow then the key is to hold on for opening and get up among the first tracks. Absolutely love Rochu and the bowls underneath, and would think if you're contemplating the north face then you should be looking to get down rochu/bellecote!

You should definitely aim to hit the face under the chalet de bellecote chair, it really is so good as well, powder laps under the lift for hours. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip, apologies, correction: RAIN.
Just driven up the hill.
Obviously heavy snow earlier, right down to Macot.
But now rain up to 1800. Pleige above, according to some soggy skiers coming in.
Roads are rivers.
Sofa afternoon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, yikes not good. Any idea what height the snow kicks in?

Edit: above 1800 I'm guessing!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip, no idea where snow starts. But then, no idea about the weather at all. One minutes its raining, then its snowing, then its raining again! Snowing now. Crazy weather.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
France Meteo forecast says
1200 M
LIMITE PLUIE/NEIGE

Thats just around the lower part of Montalbert
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure if I missed this earlier in the thread, but Envers is now "Closed indefinitely"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecureuil wrote:
Not sure if I missed this earlier in the thread, but Envers is now "Closed indefinitely"
If that’s the case that’s a bit of a pain. Arriving in Montalbert next week. My other half is a nervous intermediate and last year there this made getting over to Plagne centre pretty easy.

Consequently we never did the lower part of Cornegidouille last year; what’s it like? Don’t want to put her off on the first morning!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ecureuil, we noticed it was closed yesterday - meant a lot of nervous people were coping with the ice rink down to La Roche.
I hadn't picked up your "Closed Indefinetely". Blooming nuisance.
Any idea why?

And aint the weather having fun? Today none of the weather forecast sites i use got it right, including the La Plagne site and MeteoFrance. None suggested we would get snow, but it snowed gently for most of the morning. Made for quite a lovely day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We noticed the closed sign on Envers too, today. It's a right pain.

Really beautiful today with sun, snow and dramatic clouds all at once!

bigtuboflard : Cornegidouille today was as benign as I've ever known it - not icy at the moment. The only slight hazard as you come round the right hand bend where it narrows at the end is that there are some mini ridges in the snow - just high enough to create a wobble if you're not expecting them! There's more snow forecast so with a bit of luck it should stay ok for a bit yet. But if you were asking how it normally is - it can be icy and busy, I'm afraid. But with Envers closed, you don't have many options if you want to get to Plagne centre from Montalbert.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @legalista, sounds pretty straightforward actually and it’ll be nice and quiet in another week too so suspect we’ll be fine and only need to use it once a day anyway. Thank you!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Announcement from SAP

CLOSURE OF THE ENVERS
 
The Envers chairlift will be closed for technical intervention, effective today. (March 6)

New information release on Tuesday March 10.

Thank you for your understanding.

Good day to all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went down Cornegidouille today and it was already starting to get nasty, quite big lumps on the right hand corner with icy patches in between.

What is it with Envers ? Is it rocket science building a 6 person chairlift ? At about the same time, they built the new Crozats, which on the face of it seems to perform exactly the same function with no problems whatsoever
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Envers listed as opening today.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish wrote:
Envers listed as opening today.

snowHead


Down as closed on Skiplan, I can't tell for sure as I'm not out over that side today
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bigtuboflard wrote:
Thanks @legalista, sounds pretty straightforward actually and it’ll be nice and quiet in another week too so suspect we’ll be fine and only need to use it once a day anyway. Thank you!


The run isn't too bad on it's own - just one narrow part where everyone is trying to squeeze through the 'slow down' barriers, which then results in a few moguls or icy patches. The issue is that if the traffic builds up on it then it'll get progressively worse. At least you'll only have to do it once a day, and that should be early while conditions are okay.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Handy Turnip wrote:
bigtuboflard wrote:
Thanks @legalista, sounds pretty straightforward actually and it’ll be nice and quiet in another week too so suspect we’ll be fine and only need to use it once a day anyway. Thank you!


The run isn't too bad on it's own - just one narrow part where everyone is trying to squeeze through the 'slow down' barriers, which then results in a few moguls or icy patches. The issue is that if the traffic builds up on it then it'll get progressively worse. At least you'll only have to do it once a day, and that should be early while conditions are okay.
thanks, will get it out the way as early as we can!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having survived the trip down Cornegidouille - when you go up the chairlift, look out for the bear about half way up in the little cave in the snow!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Attractive women who know a few lifties are always a good source of information . . .
It seems that SAP is now discussing seriously an early end to the season.
No date mentioned, but i wouldn't be surprised if France follows Italy and Austria.
Just a matter of when

boredsurfin has spies on all sorts of La Plagne committees - any news your end?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, no very quiet but I did get a marketing e mail offering a 3 day lift pass at easter for €100.
Envers is having several parts manufactured and should be working "next week"
Ill be in Monty tomorrow, so please can someone turn the rain off!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It rained cats and dogs here in Champagny overnight and very cloudy now - it’s forecast to go this morning though so fingers crossed ....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, we were chatting to ESF instructor while riding Bergerie yesterday, and brought up the subject of Envers.
A disaster, he declared, with usual Gallic shrug (not so easy on a lift).
He said the lift can run ok, but inspectors had deemed it not safe. Not sure which bit or bits are the problem.
With the increasing warm winters, Envers will become essential.
Looks like they might fix it just in time for the (premature) season end.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And just noticed Envers is an anagram of Nevers rolling eyes

(i bet someone noticed this already - apologies for nicking your idea Madeye-Smiley )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latest information from tourist office here https://www.la-plagne.com/information-coronavirus?

Looks like it is staying open until further notice.


Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 13-03-20 19:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you skichampcouk. Same as Tignes.
Reassuring no case here in La Plagne (so far).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, long-time absentees from the virus-ridden West Midlands are still being admitted. Might see you there next week, @Jonpim, .
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy