Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:
Dumping nicely.

snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still snowing. Pistes very icy in some places today. Strong winds and poor visibility higher up. Many lifts closed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still snowing!
Should have buried most of the ice by the morning.

Cold and sunny tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope so but fear the fresh will soon be scraped back to the ice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trying to be optimistic!
I don't think I've ever seen as much ice as I did today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well it's difficult to tell how much snow fell yesterday as the wind kept blowing it around but I'd guess around 6 inches.
The pistes were much nicer today, still some icy patches around.

Sunny all day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very busy early on. Although it's not a half term week, I was told that the resort is "close to capacity" this week. There were still some nice quiet pistes to be found though
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Rosiere across the valley was great today. 40cm powder covered the slab ice from two days rain. Should be good to the weekend but that slab's not going anywhere and is going to be sheet ice till the sprng thaw
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From SAP today: If you have an eligible Winter Season Pass please collect your Summer Pass from any lift ticket sales office before the end of the Winter Season.
They will NOT be sent out by post.
In the summer they will only be available from the Colorado lift or Bellecote sales office.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely blue sky today. Some people were finding it difficult to stay upright on steeper sections of some blue runs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, there's quite a bit of ice about!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How's it looking out the window in resort? It was forecast to give a healthy top up through the night, and then continue into today.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, across the valley in Les Arcs it's snowing hard which makes a nice change from yesterday's rain at 1800m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair, excellent news, fingers crossed it continues through the day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Handy Turnip, the less good news is that it's almost horizontal going past my window and the links to Arc 2000 are closed. Something of a duvet day for residents although the webcams and noise suggest that the French holidaymakers are made of stronger stuff.
snow conditions
@Alastair, ahh not so good. Hopefully enough comes down to set up some better conditions when the winds drop.
latest report
Does Derochoir ever actually open, or is its role to make the piste map look better?
ski holidays
@John617, Its a Natur piste because its in the National Park and they are not allowed to put machines down it. In summer they hand clear some of the scrub and longer grass. Thus, its only ever opened when conditions allow as it seldom has a firm base, because they can't machine compact it. Because it has no base, too many skiers may damage the ground if there isn't enough snow. Its a bit catch 22.
But rest assured your not missing much anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
John617, horses for courses: we rather like Derochoir.
But like Crozats, it starts all rather flat and easy-looking, then over the brow it can turn ugly: the middle section of Derochoir can be large rock hard moguls dotted with skiers who wished they had gone somewhere else.
Unfortunately, as mentioneed by boredsurfin, it is often closed. As is Rochu and Bellecote. In good conditions all three runs are lovely.
It was open last week, but closed today.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Its a Natur piste ...

Is it? Not marked as such on the piste map. (Unlike say Inversens, Crozats, Malatray,...)
snow conditions
@ecureuil, Yep, strange it was on the last map! But as Jonpim says the top section is pisted, its the middle bit, Jonpims description is highly accurate, that isn't.
snow conditions
First days skiing so went to Les Arcs as that is not the logical thing to do. Never seen or heard of the priority queue they have over there. To me that it is a horrible idea. If it was single rider it would be OK. If you cut across to the barrier the special people come in and split them up it seems to annoy them. It would not be good if this initiative took off. (It may have been going for years of course).
snow conditions
John617, the couple of times we were over in Les Arcs we never noticed any Priority Queue set up.
Are we just blind?
It is all lifts? And how is it signposted?
ski holidays
They are yellow corridor like the ski school one, but on the other side. They have their own ticket machine. They were not in Villaroger, they were in 1800 and Vallandry. I think they were in 1950 but not sure. Perhaps an ‘innovation’ for half term.
ski holidays
From Les Arcs website: "Paradiski: Essential Pass If you buy a Paradiski Essential ski pass valid for 6 days or more, then you also get the following advantages including: ......access to the priority queue on a number of lifts". The lifts are: Villards, Carreley, Mont Blanc, Varet, Comborcière, Derby, Grizzly, Peisey. They have an extra lane, but it's easy to miss the signs (priorite fil). No similar priority queues in La Plagne.
latest report
@Jonpim, only available with a Paradiski (or in the new Les Arcs terminology, Essentials or Premium) pass.

Only on Villards, Carreley, Mont Blanc, Varet, Comborcière, Derby, Grizzly, Peisey. Plus something on Aiguille Rouge, which I don't fully understand.

See https://en.lesarcs.com/the-passes.html
snow report
How are the pistes at the moment?

Reading a couple of comments above about the ice slab caused by the rain recently. Coming out in a couple of weeks and worried it will be an ice rink, or should it have naturally sorted itself out by then?
latest report
@Gassy222, generally pretty good, if turning soft at low levels in the heat. Quite crowded (very, in places) and a number of lift queues largely caused by people not filling the chairs. Queued for quite a while at the Bergerie lift, for example, and when I got to a chair I found only two others sharing it with me. Daft.

@John617, thee priority queues were trialled on the Varet gondola two years ago and extended to most of the lifts that now offer it last year. One or two added this year. The idea is to encourage the sale of the whole area lift passes but I don't know if it's having the effect they hoped for. The withdrawal of a free day in La Plagne on all 6 day passes will probably have more of an effect. As the holder of a whole area season pass I find it quite handy at times but I don't suppose they're frightfully popular with those who have limited themselves to a Les Arcs pass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair, I have a 6 day whole area pass from La Plagne. I assume the facility is not available for visitors from La Plagne. Paying to jump queues is a bad thing, however as it seems to be available to such a large group of people its benefit is more marketing than reality.
snow report
@John617, interesting question - I had assumed that Paradiski passes issued by La Plagne would be included, but maybe not as there's no mention on the La Plagne website.

Interestingly, on lifts like the Varet where the (fast moving) queue can be significant, the priority lane gives almost immediate access as so few people seem to have access. Sales of whole area passes are clearly lower than I had anticipated.
ski holidays
John617 wrote:
@Alastair, I have a 6 day whole area pass from La Plagne. I assume the facility is not available for visitors from La Plagne.

It is.
snow conditions
Looks snowy on the webcams - anyone out there want to take a guess on how much has fallen?
latest report
Thank you for all the comments and info on this Priority system. Good to know that a La Plagne issued Paradiski pass will work. Will have to give it a try when we are out next month.

And, yes, Handy Turnip, it does look pleasantly snowy. La Plagne site suggests only "light snowfall". Meteoblue suggests 0-2cm. Meteoexploration suggests 15cm. Take your pick snowHead
snow report
Thanks @Jonpim. I know which one I'd pick - unfortunately the other one is probably more like reality!
snow report
Oooo, so a standard area pass means we skip the queues? This sort of counters the chairlift etiquette thread Toofy Grin

We're there next week so barr the random one week late Rochdale half term week it "might" be fairly quiet!
latest report
May be 15 to 20cm
snow report
Having said that priority queues was a bad thing, I used it yesterday to good effect on Varet and Comborcier. It allowed us to get up Alguille Rouge in the afternoon and back to La Plagne without too much stress. I would say 15 cm of snow. Quiet pistes today, where was everyone. Is this what its like to ski outside half term?
latest report
Charliee wrote:
May be 15 to 20cm
snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Does anyone have ski hire recommendations for Montchavin? We're going on Saturday and are looking for 5 sets of something all-mountain, however most of the online offers in the shops seem to be pure piste skis or twin-tips.

Any advice or experiences would be most welcome, thanks.
snow report
How's in looking in resort? Hopefully it's been dumping down all night and continuing through the day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy