Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
@denfinella, lol, I am struggling to finish my.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rlm86, Yes you can take buggies on the Telemetro but will be asked to fold it up during the peak hours. However, from PV up to the Tele Metro is quite steep, so you will be best using a combination of bus and Telemetro. Anything else LP related just ask on here.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boredsurfin @layne @definella
Thank you for your replies guys. I was thinking that it was possible to go across The car park from PV to the lift up to the shopping centre. But we will see when we get there. I’m very excited, as long as our Eurostar doesn’t get cancelled.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Next question how is the red Grand Col in Les Arc. Looks nice from below but want to check no moguls or icy patches in the part hidden from view
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Others who are currently there might have fresher news, but I was there last Saturday and without new snow I assume conditions are similar. I found the run mogul-free in the afternoon, but surprisingly hard-packed given the elevation. Probably wind-blown? Not icy though, still grippy, but probably unpleasant on a board (I ski) or with poor edges.
By the way, there's a Les Arcs thread for such questions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LucyHamilton wrote:
Next question how is the red Grand Col in Les Arc. Looks nice from below but want to check no moguls or icy patches in the part hidden from view

We did it yesterday, easy to avoid the moguls. Best pop over the Les Arcs thread for Les Arcs questions....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm staying in la plagne 1800 in March with 3 friends - beginner to very low intermediate level. How realistic is it of me to think we could make it one afternoon after ski school (say from 11am if we leave class a bit early) to get over to the new Folie Douce in Les Arcs?

If we get the last Vanoise express back to La Plagne can we get the bus to plagne 1800 instead of having to get back skiing in time before the chairlifts close etc.

Any opinions/timings/advice on this would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jfairhurst93, perfectly doable.

Assuming you are starting in Plagne Centre you will get the Bergerie lift, ski down to the Arpette lift. From the top of that you can make it all the way down to the VE. That could be achieved in 40-50 minutes.

After getting the VE over you put your skis on and immediately board the Peisey chair. You can then take the blue piste that traverses across the mountain through the forest all the way to 1800. Maybe another 30-40 minutes.

So total time 1.5 hours to get over.

Getting back you need one lift and a long traverse piste to get back to the VE. Back on the La Plagne side you ski down to Les Coches and take three chair lifts to be able to ski back down to Plagne Bellecote. Another lift would then get you up the mountain to ski back to Centre and 1800. You would want to leave Folie Douce at 3pm to get back comfortably. So you could be in there for a couple of hours if that is what you want.

Only downside is that I think late afternoon is when the FD is at it's "best". Note: I am not a patron.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Closely watching the forecast now as we arrive in La Plagne the 18th snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@layne thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know/wanted to hear Very Happy

3pm does sound a bit early to be leaving the fouli douce though as I agree that's probably when it gets going. Anyone have any info on shuttle buses/general buses from Les couches to 1800 back in la plagne? Or even transport from Les Arcs 1800 back to La Plagne 1800... feesible? Or breaks the bank? There would be 4 of us sharing the fare.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jfairhurst93 wrote:
@layne thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know/wanted to hear Very Happy

3pm does sound a bit early to be leaving the fouli douce though as I agree that's probably when it gets going. Anyone have any info on shuttle buses/general buses from Les couches to 1800 back in la plagne? Or even transport from Les Arcs 1800 back to La Plagne 1800... feesible? Or breaks the bank? There would be 4 of us sharing the fare.

Back yourselves to find a bed to bunk up in for the night Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, @jfairhurst93, for "beginner to very low intermediate level" those timings could be very optimistic; you might only get there with insufficient time to get back.

And it might also depend when in March - the first week will still be France half-term so lift queues will be busier.

For the return you need to get as far as Plagne Bellecote for a La Plagne resort bus. So if you get the last Vanoise Express, there is no easy bus link from Montchavin-Les Coches back to Plagne 1800. It will be something like bus to Landry/Bourg St Maurice, train to Aime, and bus back up to 1800 - which could take hours even if they run/link up. Or a very expensive taxi. (It might even be an easier journey to start from Arc 1800, as you could get a resort bus to 1600 and funiculaire down to Bourg station).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@blacksheep strong possibility but a catered chalet awaits back in la plagne. Food is second only to skiing Cool

@ecureuil w/c 7th so missing the school hols. Thanks for the info, defintely going to have to see how the week goes in regards to how fast they can ski. And if it is feesble getting over there and back with it actually being worth it in the middle!

Chose La Plagne for the amount of cruisy blues and ski area which will suit abilities in the group, but a bit scared the apres will be disappointing. Therefore wanted to plan a wild afternoon! Still very excited though...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meanwhile when reality sets in Toofy Grin
There are two good Apre bars on the pistes in La Plagne.
The Bergerie is closely modelled on FD - Wednesday from 2pm Apre is sponsored by Brew Dog and Alpoholics litre and a half bottles of Rose €50, The VIP area has Magnums of Champagne delivered by a Telecabine over the heads of the crowd - I have no idea of costs Very Happy
The other bar with a live set every afternoon is Le Bonnet at Bellecote.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=le%20bonnet-la%20plagne

https://www.alpoholics.co.uk/apres/
https://restaurant-la-plagne.com

From Bellecote back to 1800 there is a bus until late.
From Bergerie ski back down to 1800 OR if Pistes are closed walk over to Plagne Villages and get the bus to 1800

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 9-01-20 16:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, Sounds brill. I will definitely be there on Wednesday, watching the champagne go over my head and into the hands of someone else from the outside of the VIP railings. But I will have the rose in my hand...

Seriously though I would love some recommendations on places to go in La Plagne, so thankyou!
snow report
@jfairhurst93, La Mine in 1800 and The bobsleigh also in 1800 plus theres Scottys bar in Plagne Centre which do a fair job of Apres and cheap food! All are on Twitter/insta/Fb

Theres also a private group on Facebook that lists apre events ...

PS. Bergerie snack bar is the best value lunch, on piste, I have found so far this season ...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 9-01-20 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@boredsurfin, Excellent, thanks for all the adivce. Greatly appreciated Smile
latest report
jfairhurst93 wrote:
@boredsurfin, Excellent, thanks for all the adivce. Greatly appreciated Smile

Im not here that week so pop some pics on here if you get a mo, and let us know how the Apres goes Very Happy
snow report
jfairhurst93, totally agree with boredsurfin:
Complete waste of you time going over to Folie Douce in Les Arcs for just a couple of hours early afternoon.
There is excellent "aprés" in La Plagne.
Go for Bergerie if want on-piste, or La Mine if off-piste.
I haven't tried Bonnet, and not been to Scotties for years.
I would avoid Bobsleigh - no atmosphere and smelly.
latest report
@boredsurfin, will do for sure!

@Jonpim, Thanks jon, heard good things about la mine and it's where we're staying. Looking forward to it!
snow report
Its over 2 weeks since we had any substantive snowfall but the pistes are in great shape, the constant sunshine and blue skies doesn't seem to affect them snowHead

ski holidays
Hi all,

My friend and I are planning to go to La Plagne next weekend, we havent booked the digs yet but i have found some in Plagne Bellecote. What is Bellecote like? we will be self catering so need a supermarket, we may eat out one night, if so any reccommendations for decent value restaurants?. Also, i think we will probably end up on a Bens Bus transfer which will be in the evening as we don't land till 9pm in Geneva, what would be the logistics of getting to Bellecote late at night? im presumimg BB drop off in Bellecote.

All opinions & advice gladly received.
snow conditions
@Skrabble, Bellecotte is pretty functional, has everything you need to self cater, a decent sized shop and a couple of nice deli's etc. The outdoor pool/sauna is also lovely after skiing. You also have the benefit of the gondola running late(1am) up to Belle Plagne so that increases the options for eating out and drinks after skiing etc.
Not much in the way of nightlife in Bellecotte it's self tho, couple of bar/clubs but always been very quiet when I've stayed there. Lots of nice places to eat in Belle Plagne and few in Bellecotte so you won't be stuck for anything.
Also the option of getting bus round to centre etc, not sure how late that runs tho?
snow conditions
alasdair.graham wrote:
@Skrabble, Bellecotte is pretty functional, has everything you need to self cater, a decent sized shop and a couple of nice deli's etc. The outdoor pool/sauna is also lovely after skiing. You also have the benefit of the gondola running late(1am) up to Belle Plagne so that increases the options for eating out and drinks after skiing etc.
Not much in the way of nightlife in Bellecotte it's self tho, couple of bar/clubs but always been very quiet when I've stayed there. Lots of nice places to eat in Belle Plagne and few in Bellecotte so you won't be stuck for anything.
Also the option of getting bus round to centre etc, not sure how late that runs tho?

Thanks for the info mate, sounds about right for us as we dont really get involved in hedonistic apres (generally aim for first lifts).
snow conditions
@Skrabble, No probs, pistepads have a decent selection of s/c options if you are looking for an apartment as well
snow report
@Skrabble, Bellecotte is the worst of the La Plagne villages and @alasdair.graham, I love the description ‘pretty functional’.
It might be the kindest review I’ve seen.
Other parts are much nicer but Bellecotte does provide beds on a budget.
snow conditions
Maybe 'not pretty but functional' is a better way of putting it then!
Still it's got good access to the snow and good value accom so that's why I've stayed there and it's worked well!
snow conditions
Skrabble, when Charliee states "Bellecote is the worst of the La Plagne Villages", this is probably reference to the architecture rather than anything else.
Not a great looking place, but you are presumably there for the skiing rather than the decor.
It has decent bars, good restaurants, all the shops you want, and a supermarket.
You will be fine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, yes that’s probably fair enough - that said part of a holiday is also about the ambiance, Bellecotte is rather lacking but I grant that it’s practical.
latest report
Thanks for all the replies, we've ended up booking val thoren as the accommodation in out budget was getting very poor reviews. It's all been a bit of a rush tbh with the way the weather has been. May well sample la plagne next time around, this time it was a case of better the devil you know.
snow report
The Bergerie is our bar of choice for apres-ski (well, just a final beer really), especially if we're staying at the top of Plagne Villages.

A few years ago a bunch of us got talked* into drinking the 'frog alcohol'. It was hideous

(* by the bloke who wears the big beret/hat thingy. Sorry, I've forgotten his name)
ski holidays
What's the snow like lower down currently? thinking on the runs down to VE on the way to Les arc. We're there on the 25th for a week. Hoping the forecasts deliver some snow later this week
latest report
@blacksheep, just had one of the best on piste days I’ve had at LaPlagne in 40 odd years. At times today it was almost disconcerting how quiet it was especially over by Champagny. You can trust the snow on piste and we didn’t encounter any ice or bare patches all day. Not been over the Monchavin/Les Coches side yet but wouldn’t anticipate any problems that way. Will have a look tomorrow.

Dump of snow forecast for Friday so that will help too
snow conditions
@blacksheep, There are some bits of ice appearing mainly near snowmakers, conditions are amazing particularly considering there has been no substantive snow since 28 Dec! I was also over in Champagny today and as rdsweb says it is very quiet BUT so warm a coffee break at the Verdons resto terrace meant taking off our jackets, it was so warm, but yet the snow stays in great condition
Keep an eye on the forecast here
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
snow report
Thanks for the info, sounds very promising!
ski holidays
@blacksheep, the Pierre Blanche piste down the VE stays in good condition all season long. The lower reaches are well cannoned in order to maintain the links to the VE as is the piste from the VE into Les Coches for the lifts returning to La Plagne. I've been there in the worse of times and there is still no problem with those runs.
latest report
@Layne, thanks. That's good to know.
snow conditions
@rdsweb, id be interested in an update re montachavin please, arriving saturday cant wait! snowHead
ski holidays
@feefee, we went down as far a the bottom of the bijolin lift via myrtilles yesterday and all was well. Generally starting to deteriorate everywhere but a big dump forecast for Friday so all should be well for you next week
ski holidays
Small snowfall on Saturday but 3 days from 25th looking good ..
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy