Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2019-20

Poster: A snowHead
Some seem to want to hold up some hope that the season is not over in Cervinia. But it is hard to have any optimism. Les Clochards, the restaurant on skiers' right just before you reach the base has announced it is closing for the season (I am sure others have - that just happens to be the one I have just seen announce it on Facebook). Even if by some miracle it was theoretically possible to open up in April (and the Cervinia season would otherwise have gone on into May) I just can't imagine there will be any of the seasonal workers there to allow it to happen. Horrible.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So sad for all the people and businesses who rely on the Winter season for a large amount of their trade. I am so glad we got to ski there this season before the virus took hold.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We think we were also some of the last lunchers in Chalet Etoile on Sunday. A great shame for all. On a non weather positive note, ski clothing sale in full swing early. 50% off ALL ski jackets and pants in Slalom sport under our hotel La Couronne on Kirche strasse
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@twoodwar, Glad to hear that you managed to get to the Étoile and were able to check out that the fish soup is still up to standard. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week despite only having the Zermatt restaurants to fall back on
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Welshcakes, already done Chez Vrony, excellent tomahawk pork chop with risotto, - going up in my view, and surprisingly our first time in Blatern yesterday which was excellent. Heavy powder snow yesterday, and have woken up to avalanche blasting like I have never heard before. Been going on for 20 mins now, at least 100 explosions, quite amazing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems sort of besides the point but there really has been a lot of snow. The Zermatt-Furi road is closed due to avalanche risk. Not very often that happens.

I am due to be out there on Monday. I should be looking forward to it but as things stand I have no idea whether I will even be going.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnMo is that the "black" ice track, piste 62 or you mean the actual road?

Absolute real shame about the current situation, really sorry for people who have had to cancel. I count myself lucky as i've left just before they closed Cervinia. F
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russeh wrote:
@JohnMo is that the "black" ice track, piste 62 or you mean the actual road?

Absolute real shame about the current situation, really sorry for people who have had to cancel. I count myself lucky as i've left just before they closed Cervinia. F

62 is Furgg to Furi. It also closed. That is not unusual at times of avalanche risk.

It is the road from Furi down to Zermatt that is closed that I was talking about.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very warm today, conditions turning slushy with some reasonably testing mogul fields on blue runs, especially when littered with a number of unfortunate beginners. Still an immense base on the pistes, so we are out early tomorrow to get the best of conditions. Very warm for lunch at Fluhalp, no vest, fleece unzipped, paper napkin on my mostly bald head to stop it burning. Paraponters overhead. It was an epic lunch with one of the best views of the Matterhorn and the glacier below.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How were/are conditions on the north facing Stockhorn itineraries? Are they getting sunfcuked too?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt Tourismus’ rallying message to the business community in Zermatt. (It was in German so the somewhat inelegant English is because I have put it through Google Translate).

Quote:

These are not easy times: the corona virus is paralyzing the economy, mobility and leisure. As a holiday provider, we are badly affected; we receive cancellations, there are few new bookings. What to do?

Together with the associations HVZ and ZAV as well as the Zermatt Bergbahnen AG, Zermatt Tourism has examined different approaches for the remaining winter weeks:

Communication offensive
If you don't want to travel at the moment, you won't let advertising change your mind.

Discounts
Perhaps this would change one or the other guest willing to cancel in the short term. As a premium brand, however, the pricing strategy is too delicate: we need high yields to keep the offer in good shape. Also, building up the original price level would do more damage than short-term easing.

Offer offensive
All ski areas in Italy, including South Tyrol, have been discontinued. There is only moderate snow in the Bernese Oberland or the stations are already in switch-off mode. The momentum is on our side: we have the best ski area! We have plenty of snow and with luck we also have a lot of sun. Despite the closure of Cervinia / Valtournenche, our guests have 200 km of perfectly groomed slopes at their disposal.

This is the message from Zermatt Bergbahnen:

“The Zermatt mountain railways keep their offer 100 percent without restrictions, unless the authorities order otherwise. Because: We owe it to our regular customers to offer you our great offer in March and April - which they appreciate so much - this year as well », Markus Hasler, CEO Zermatt Bergbahnen AG.

We have to build on this starting point. Hotels, apartments, ski schools, mountain restaurants - we all need them! Therefore here the call and the request:
Stick to your original promise of service and keep your operations open as planned.
Present yourself to the guests in the best light - we are the greatest hosts!
Do not complain about absent guests, but rejoice over those present.
Show your gratitude to the guests for coming and motivate them to share the Zermatt experience with their acquaintances.
Activate your customer base for a spontaneous visit.
Motivate your employees to achieve top performance and show them your gratitude for the great work they are doing.
We want Zermatt to continue to function and to offer our guests a great offer - of course, we adhere strictly to the requirements of the federal government.

In difficult times, we all need it. We can do it together.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like Zermatt is also closing...

Current situation Coronavirus
The live ticker keeps you up-to-date with the latest info in the Zermatt – Matterhorn destination.

13. March · 18:11 Uhr

Due to the current situation in connection with the Coronavirus, the Swiss authorities have ordered that in the destination Zermatt – Matterhorn the operation of mountain railways are closed as of now at least until 30th April 2020.

Last day of operation of mountain railways: Friday, 13th March 2020.
Accommodations (hotels, apartments and other accommodations) must ensure that there are no more than 50 persons (guests and staff) in a room.
Restaurants must ensure that there are no more than 50 persons (guests and staff) in a room.
All bars are closed from now.
Events with more than 50 persons are not allowed.
The traffic routes to and from Zermatt and within Zermatt will remain open.
No special measures apply to residents and second homeowners.
No supply shortfall.
Medical care ensured.
The Zermatt Unplugged is cancelled. More information: www.zermatt-unplugged.ch
The Patrouille des Glaciers is cancelled. More information: www.pdg.ch/en
Mountain railway tickets
In this special case, the Zermatt mountain railways offer guests flexible re-booking options for pre-purchased ski passes, event tickets and mountain experiences (except vouchers). Guests can transfer their booked ticket free of charge to another date until 02.05.2021. There is no difference to pay to the possibly higher valid tariff of the new travel date. Guests can request the exchange at the local sales points or via an online form.

Accommodation bookings
Guests who have already booked accommodation for the period until 30th April 2020, please contact the accommodation directly. Guest, who have booked a package through Zermatt Tourism a kindly requested to contact info@zermatt.ch

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/liveticker
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gnave, the early end of the season and horrible impact on lives and economy Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess i shouldn't be surprised but i am. Feeling rather lucky with the timing of my holiday, i got the last full week before things started to esculate.

This is not good for Zermatt or the ski industry as whole.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Russeh, +1, just back also, and it was very sad. We were booked into Grampis on Friday, which is always rammed, and it was of course less than half full. The 50 person limit, including staff, was strictly abided by. Train down to Visp was packed, coming home was by far the riskiest part of the holiday in my opinion. Hope everyone is well, and we are all online in late Autumn looking forward to the season.
snow conditions
How sad is the live piste map showing nothing? (Actually it is from Saturday but obviously they are just not updating it). The snow looks wonderful on the Trockener Steg camera looking up the (empty) Furggsattel lift. They are running the chairs. I assume for some sort of maintenance. They will soon all be back in the shed. I should currently be driving round the lake heading to Zermatt. Instead I am sitting in County Durham wondering whether a drive up to a Scottish resort is responsible (helping local businesses that are under strain) or irresponsible (not keeping social distance).

snow report
JohnMo wrote:
irresponsible

Probably this, but hopefully the decision will be taken out of your hands soon enough
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
irresponsible

Probably this, but hopefully the decision will be taken out of your hands soon enough

I’d got to the conclusion it would be wrong to go even before yesterday’s PM press conference about more stringent social distancing. I guess it can’t be too long before places like the Scottish ski resorts will be closed.

Back in Zermatt you are allowed to go out walking. But only on your own. Not even in couples. I am not sure what distance you are meant to keep. God only knows when I will be back out there (not an important point I realise).
ski holidays
Latest update on measures being taken

Quote:

Ordered measures by the authorities

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Valais State Council has imposed the exceptional situation for the entire canton. In addition to the measures in force since Friday 13th March 2020, the following orders are added:

- closure of all gastronomic facilities from Monday 16th March 2020 at 18.30 pm
- Closure of all shops from Monday 16th March 2020 at 18.30 pm. Exception: shops that sell food or goods for basic needs. Banks and the post office remain open.
- Public or private events and meetings are prohibited.
- Cultural services and all public and private courses, both for groups and individuals, as well as activities related to personal services will be discontinued. Outdoor sports can be practised as long as they are not organised. Playgrounds and winter hiking trails around the village are open.
- Doctors recommend exercise outside under the condition that direct contact with fellow human beings is avoided.

Helpers group

The commune has created a pool of helpers. Many applications have already been received many thanks for this. Further registrations are welcome via www.ztnet.ch/helferpool. If necessary, the commune will contact the helpers individually.

Opening hours Zermatt Tourism

The communication is carried out by Zermatt Tourism. This includes the following channels:
- For locals: ztnet.ch, internal reports (= info mails), info@zermatt.ch, 027 966 81 00
- For guests: www.zermatt.ch/liveticker, info@zermatt.ch, 027 966 81 00

All persons are requested to inform themselves online first and only in case of ongoing uncertainties to contact us by mail or phone. The counter of Zermatt Tourism is closed due to measures taken by the authorities. Mails and telephone calls will be answered during the following opening hours:
Until Sunday, 22nd March 2020
Daily 8.30 am to 12.00 pm and 14.00 pm to 18.00 pm
From Monday, 23rd March 2020
Mon to Fri 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and 14.00 pm to 17.00 pm
Sat/Sun closed
18th March 2020

Municipality of Zermatt, Täsch and Randa
latest report
Cantonal police now asking you not to go ski touring (plus other things like climbing) so as to not have to deploy medical staff away from dealing with the virus.

https://www.polizeiwallis.ch/medienmitteilungen/vermeiden-sie-die-ueberlastung-von-spital-notaufnahmen-we-need-you/
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
How sad is the live piste map showing nothing? (Actually it is from Saturday but obviously they are just not updating it). The snow looks wonderful on the Trockener Steg camera looking up the (empty) Furggsattel lift. They are running the chairs. I assume for some sort of maintenance. They will soon all be back in the shed. I should currently be driving round the lake heading to Zermatt. Instead I am sitting in County Durham wondering whether a drive up to a Scottish resort is responsible (helping local businesses that are under strain) or irresponsible (not keeping social distance).

The Scottish resorts are taking numerous precautions eg with the shutting of cafes, restricting chairlifts to single use, so I don't think its super-irresponsible to head up there.
snow conditions
i was just looking at plan maison and according to the camera it says it was 11C today. is it abnormally warm for this time of year?
snow conditions
Kj82 wrote:
i was just looking at plan maison and according to the camera it says it was 11C today. is it abnormally warm for this time of year?

Not sure where where/how that temperature shown on the webcam is taken. The "official" temperature for today at Plan Maison only just made it over zero at the warmest point. The temperatures are a little above average at the moment but due to fall back down below average at the weekend and into next weekend. Just in time for a potential storm coming through bringing more snow. Any other year that would be a cause for rejoicing. Sad
ski holidays
I was hoping you were going to tell me it was slush top to bottom Sad
snow report
Missed out on last storm but GFS is looking interesting from about Sunday onwards. I realise no-one cares and equally no-one can take advantage but old habits die hard.

Interesting article about a break out of Typhoid in Zermatt in 1963:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-19_when-a-typhoid-epidemic-hit-zermatt/45630734
snow report
Have to say the web cams look fabulous. WOuld love to be self isolating up there!
snow conditions
Matterhorn lit up tonight by giant light at top of Hirli lift.

ski holidays
Piste basher drivers still working. They are still hoping to have a summer season. This happened yesterday. A piste basher fell down a crevasse up on the glacier. Fortunately the driver is OK. They have even managed to get the vehicle out.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i wonder what shape the cabin was when it returned to surface
snow conditions
Kj82 wrote:
i wonder what shape the cabin was when it returned to surface

I was pleased to find out that the driver was OK. I can't imagine that those cabins have the sort of protection that a road lorry would have but I don't know. Seeing the pictures from a wider and higher angle there is nothing that suggests there is such a large crevasse there. One never know son a glacier at this time of year though.
ski holidays
Cabins are really well protected. Roll cages and the like
latest report
and how it all ended well
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=222220319091798
snow conditions
The dry period really shows as you move down the valley. By this time of year it is often green/brown up to Randa but it would more often be white at Täsch. This is the cross country skiing course at Täsch. We should be out there now and my daughter in law fancied cross country skiing lessons so I said I would go with her. I guess that wouldn’t have been happening.

snow report
Onnem wrote:
and how it all ended well
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=222220319091798

it looked untouched !
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
Matterhorn lit up tonight by giant light at top of Hirli lift.

Had a 'debate' with a guy on Facebook about this... he was saying there's no way you can light up a mountain and that you shouldn't believe anything you see on the internet and anyway, why aren't loads of people taking selfies and putting it all over the web.

I reminded him that there's a lockdown, people aren't going to do selfies if they're not there in Zermatt and why would a resort go to so much trouble - getting a projectionist in, photographers documenting it, marketing department sending out press content, doctoring every single frame of the webcam, creating web pages, etc...

he said that image (and many of the others) we're unrealistic because you can see the beam of light and it's not dark enough, daylight even. I don't think he's heard of long exposures and photo manipulation to create a promo shot...

Honestly, some people just want to be skeptics all of the time.
ski holidays
Well, The Rothorn and Gornegrat areas are now closed closed as opposed to coronavirus closed.
snow conditions
On a positive note, wont the new lift at Rothorn be up and running for the next time its open?
ski holidays
Kj82 wrote:
On a positive note, wont the new lift at Rothorn be up and running for the next time its open?

That was the theory. The intention was to carry out the whole construction project between now and next November. That is a fairly ambitious thing to do. They have done similar things before. For a example the new Hirli lift over by Schwarzsee was built in a similar period a couple of years ago.

Construction work has not been stopped in Switzerland and the lockdown has started to be eased. However, the coronavirus actions not just in Switzerland but places where equipment is manufactured or transported through must have some impact on the timetable.
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
Kj82 wrote:

That was the theory. The intention was to carry out the whole construction project between now and next November. That is a fairly ambitious thing to do. They have done similar things before. For a example the new Hirli lift over by Schwarzsee was built in a similar period a couple of years ago.

Construction work has not been stopped in Switzerland and the lockdown has started to be eased. However, the coronavirus actions not just in Switzerland but places where equipment is manufactured or transported through must have some impact on the timetable.

Ah, I really should check before I post. This was the press release put out a couple of weeks ago. All good news.

Quote:

Zermatt Bergbahnen AG is investing in the future

08/04/2020

The lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic is causing a great deal of uncertainty and reduced sales for almost every industry in Switzerland. Instead of falling into a state of shock, the Zermatt Bergbahnen AG (ZBAG) concentrates on the time “when this is all over”. Despite the difficult starting position, the Board of Directors has decided to make the major investments of around 60 million Swiss francs over the next two years as planned. The additional financing provided by the banks also contributes to this decision. As soon as the weather conditions allow and no further official decisions relating to the coronavirus prevent construction work from taking place, ZBAG will commence the task of building the new Kumme gondola lift and continue work on the Matterhorn glacier ride II 3S cableway project.

The premature closure of the ski areas, restaurants and shops and the restrictions on international travel due to the official regulations to contain the coronavirus have hit the tourist industry hard. However, ZBAG is aware that every crisis has an end and is investing in the future accordingly. Despite the difficult situation, it is sticking to the Kumme gondola lift and Matterhorn glacier ride II construction projects with an investment volume of around 60 million Swiss francs over the next two years. CEO Markus Hasler had this to say about the decision: “With our investments and the resumption of construction work we mean to underscore our leading role in and around the Zermatt-Matterhorn resort and demonstrate that we can meet even this challenge head on together. We want to indicate to our service partners and visitors and to the local economy that we believe in the future and despite the difficult conditions remain willing to invest in modern facilities and services.” In other words, ZBAG is looking ahead with optimism to the time after the crisis and the preparations for a possible resumption of summer operations are already in full swing.

Optimistic mood among lenders too

The effects of the Corona crisis will also lead to a drop in sales at ZBAG in the coming months and will affect profitability, which is one of the very best in the industry. For this reason, ZBAG's current and future investment plans have been re-analysed with the banks. It quickly became clear that the banks are convinced of ZBAG's strategy and successful future and are therefore sticking to the planned investment amounts and projects. They are also making additional funds available for the two major projects.

The first fully automatic gondola lift in Switzerland

Together with the resumption of construction work on the Matterhorn glacier ride II between Testa Grigia and the Klein Matterhorn, plans for the summer also include starting work on the new Kumme gondola lift. Along with cable car manufacturers Doppelmayr/Garaventa and the construction firms SULAG Hoch- & Tiefbau AG and E. Lauber & Sohn Hoch- u. Tiefbau AG, ZBAG has put together a forward-looking project: the new Kumme cableway will be the first gondola lift anywhere in Switzerland to carry passengers without the presence of an attendant at the station.

If the work on the gondola lift proceeds as planned, it will go into operation at the beginning of the 2020/21 winter season, with 56 ten-seater cabins carrying 1500 passengers an hour along the 3.2-kilometre route from Tufternkehr to the Unterrothorn via an intermediary station at Wyss Gufer. Waiting times around the Unterrothorn will be a thing of the past, and with the new lift and the installation of snow machines Zermatt Bergbahnen AG is promising a massive upgrade for the whole winter sports resort in terms of the quality of its transport and slopes.
snow conditions
you've got to hand it to the swiss. they know how to invest!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy