Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2019-20

Poster: A snowHead
Many thanks JohnMo!

I'll buy you a beer, if you want to hang around with us.

Kind regards from Portugal
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If anyone interested to do some runs in Cervinia/Valt and maybe Zermatt from Jan 19 onwards, ping me (intermediate-advanced snowboarder)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what time does the link form the valley station on furi riffelberg stay open to for the connection just back up to Furi. I know its later than the main lift up to
riffelberg. Thanks in advance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mcg wrote:
what time does the link form the valley station on furi riffelberg stay open to for the connection just back up to Furi. I know its later than the main lift up to
riffelberg. Thanks in advance.

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Current-news/Timetable

See the link above for the full opening and closing times of the lift system.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Run28, thanks for that, but that gives the general lift times. Does the bottom section of that lift i.e., the talstation, not stay open later than the main lift, for connections up to furi?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mcg, I am afraid not. 17.30 is the last chance to get back to Furi from Zermatt by lift. It is a real downside to stopping in Furi. You could walk but I am not sure I would want to do that walk in the dark. You can also get a taxi but that is going to be expensive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnMo, Thank you. I was sure the bottom of the riffelberg lift stayed open a bit later that last time I was there. Its not a long ski from there down to the

matterhorn express, so that is always an option, as you say, until 17:30
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JohnMo, great three days in the area, but as you said, definitely worth the international pass as the sunshine and the softer slopes were on the Italian side.

I know some may have been disparaging about staying in Täsch but the Matterhorn Inn (previously Alpenhotel) opposite the station was a brilliant base for me as a solo snowboarder. Especially as they put me in a massive double room instead of the single I booked and didn't get charged to use their very good wellness area.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you that the next week brings some fresh powder before your next trip out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A very pleasant day mostly on the Italian side making first use of the IKON pass. Hardpack and unviable off piste more than made up for by empty slopes and unfettered sun. If I were there for a week I'd be wanting fresh but for a day trip many boxes were ticked.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm getting the train from Geneva airport to Zermatt tomorrow
Hope to get the 5.30 - is there a dinning car or a trolley
Any other tips greatly appreciated

Can't wait to go - first trip of the season. Woop woop

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@feshiebridge, Never been one when we have travelled as its a regional train, if you are lucky there will be somewhere open where you can get something to eat and a hot drink to have on the train.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@feshiebridge, Never been one when we have travelled as its a regional train, if you are lucky there will be somewhere open where you can get something to eat and a hot drink to have on the train.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@feshiebridge, there’s no dining car - best to stock up at the supermarket in the train station at the airport if you have time between arrival and your train.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty sure the supermarket is Migros. Does very good, very fresh sushi anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No dining on the train. Stock up in the Airport.@jebroni3_16, agree it’s Migros.
ski holidays
feshiebridge wrote:
I'm getting the train from Geneva airport to Zermatt tomorrow
Hope to get the 5.30 - is there a dinning car or a trolley
Any other tips greatly appreciated

Can't wait to go - first trip of the season. Woop woop

Thanks

5.30 PM? There is no such train. Do you mean the 17.20? If you miss that, try to catch the 18.16 because after that you'll have a wait until 20.02 and probably won't reach your hotel until midnight. Earlier in the day the trains are twice an hour but they thin out in the evening. As others have said, there is no dining trolley. There are plenty of places to pick up stuff between arrivals and the train platform. I actually find the easier places just to grab something are in the train station area rather than the airport arrivals area.

If you don't manage to grab something (e.g. because you are running for your train) you get a second chance a couple of hours later when you change trains at Visp. You should have about a quarter of an hour (maybe a bit less) but that is time to go down from the platform (but you'll need to do that in any case). If you are coming down the ramp turn left, if you come down the stairs turn right. You will do that to get to the Zermatt train in any case. At the end of the tunnel on the right hand side is a Coop. There you can stock up with food, booze etc for the hour long trip up to Zermatt.
ski holidays
On a snow note, latest Gfs holding up for a refresher amount this weekend snowHead
P.s. not backed up by the Zermatt website though Sad
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
On a snow note, latest Gfs holding up for a refresher amount this weekend snowHead
P.s. not backed up by the Zermatt website though Sad

Yes. Photo below is how the BBC website sees Friday evening. I can’t believe the amount of precipitation passing over me in London in an easterly direction but none of it getting through to the Alps. Reports seem to suggest that the pistes are holding up well but fresh snow is better than three week old snow. I certainly hope some gets through as I am back out Sunday for a week in Zermatt and Verbier.

latest report
Pistes are very good just over the hill in Saas Fee.
ski holidays
Hi, we have the Ikonpass. Looks like we want to stay in Brueil Cervinia. It appears we need to make it to Zermatt first to get our 5 day pass which works for both resorts. What are our options? Driving to Zermatt from Turin just to pick up passes would take a whole day. Buy a one day pass and ski over to a Zermatt ticket office??

Your thoughts?
ski holidays
It's a very long drive so that's not really an option for you. Is there any reason you aren't staying in Zermatt?
snow report
The accomodations seem to be better and more affordable for us there. Never been to Zermatt but maybe someone can recommend a budget place for me and my daughter?
ski holidays
JerseyDutchman wrote:
The accomodations seem to be better and more affordable for us there. Never been to Zermatt but maybe someone can recommend a budget place for me and my daughter?

Hotel or apartment?
ski holidays
I didn't find info regarding this but: to go from Cervinia (Hotel Miravidi) to Zermatt I have to take 3 gondolas? And to come back skiing I have to take the Matterhorn Glacier Ride that closes at 15:30?
snow report
Ok, I just found out that the pass will only work if you start from Zermatt. So there goes that...

Now looking for any affordable hotel or apartment in Zermatt.
latest report
JerseyDutchman wrote:
Ok, I just found out that the pass will only work if you start from Zermatt. So there goes that...

Now looking for any affordable hotel or apartment in Zermatt.

I am pleased you found that out about the Ikon pass. There are good commercial reasons why a Zermatt International pass has to be used from Zermatt and a Cervinia international pass has to be used from Cervinia. But they are not really of any interest to you – you just need to know the rule exists.

I don’t know if you are locked into flights to Turin. While it is the obvious place to fly to for Cervinia it is not at all good for getting to Zermatt. Most Zermatt visitors fly to Geneva or Zürich and to a lesser extent Milan.

I don’t stay in hotels or apartments. But the Zermatt website is very good for allowing you to put dates in and comparing prices:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en

As a rule of thumb, the apartments are cheaper than the hotels and the hotels further away from the three access points to the mountains (the Gornegret railway station and the Sunnegga funicular station at the north end and the Matterhorn Express gondola station at the south end) are cheaper than those close by.

If you want to be very price conscious if you are using that website you can also want to compare the prices in the hotels in Täsch (the next village north in the valley). There is a three times an hour train shuttle that takes you into Zermatt and lands you right next to the Gornegrat train station and the bus stop for the bus to the Sunnegga station (although that is easily walkable) and Matterhorn Express lift. I should say that my apartment is in Täsch (but I do not rent it out so I am not saying this for commercial reasons).
ski holidays
nunex wrote:
I didn't find info regarding this but: to go from Cervinia (Hotel Miravidi) to Zermatt I have to take 3 gondolas? And to come back skiing I have to take the Matterhorn Glacier Ride that closes at 15:30?

You have to get the gondola up to Plan Maison. From there you can either take: the gondola to Laghi Chime Bianche and the cable car up to Testa Grigia; or take the three chair lifts up to Theodulpass.

Yes, coming back you need to go up the Matterhorn Glacier Ride to Klein Matterhorn. Currently the last lift is 15.30 but at the end of next week it is 16.00 and then in March and April it is 16.15. However, they do suggest you don’t leave it until the last lift.
snow conditions
Many thanks, once again!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gfs and Zermatt website at least now agree on light snowfall this Friday and Saturday. Gfs also forecasting something a little more substantial the following weekend too, -as always though a long way off.
ski holidays
@twoodwar, Aye. This is how Meteo Swiss projects the band of precipitation for 4 o’clock tomorrow (furthest they go out as I type). It is a decent if not huge band. It is coming from west south west. So Zermatt should catch a decent amount. It will be welcome.

ski holidays
@JohnMo, solid forecast at least. Let’s hope it’s an underestimate.
snow conditions
Weather outlook generally not good at all. looks like another sunny warm week after this little bit of snow. Lets hope something changes drastically
in the coming weeks.
ski holidays
That's perfect for me. A new snow blanket and blue bird days during the week.
ski holidays
@nunex, well if you are happy with bad snow conditions I am delighted for you. Enjoy!
snow conditions
mcg wrote:
Weather outlook generally not good at all. looks like another sunny warm week after this little bit of snow. Lets hope something changes drastically in the coming weeks.

I think it is not going to be warm for the next week. It looks like the opposite within the reliable time frame for forecasts.

snow report
mcg wrote:
@nunex, well if you are happy with bad snow conditions I am delighted for you. Enjoy!

There was nothing at all wrong with the snow on Saturday. A tad hardpacked, yes, and off piste not really doable but full coverage on piste and the Matterhorn dancing around topless in perfect sunny clear and calm weather. Bronze medal conditions as my mates and I like to call it. If you are not able to appreciate weather like that there is something wrong with you. It will be even better if the forecast snow arrives tomorrow/Saturday and I am jealous of those visiting for the weekend and next week.

on Saturday evening hd wrote:
A very pleasant day mostly on the Italian side making first use of the IKON pass. Hardpack and unviable off piste more than made up for by empty slopes and unfettered sun. If I were there for a week I'd be wanting fresh but for a day trip many boxes were ticked.
ski holidays
Just finishing my two weeks in Zermatt / Cervinita (staying in Zermatt). A last few or more runs on Saturday, then head back to Zurich (and to Oz).

I had an amazing time here. Two weeks of fantastic sunny warm days with only one day when the pass was closed due to wind. I understand, the weather has been unseasonable and quite worrying, but it had not stopped me from having a blast of 13 full days of skiing. The runs have been in pristine conditions both sides, but no off-piste. there very few skiers even on the most popular runs and all main lifts were operating (very few button lift were on, but they were unnecessary, anyway).

I stayed in Chalet Bergidyll, Winkelmatten, Zermatt (look it up), a short steep downhill walk to the station to Furi. I can highly recommend this place. I rented a studio (comfortable for upto 3 and very spacious for a single) with unobstructed view to Zermatt. Every day I have been waking up and having dinner in full spectacle. The owner is an older lady who was anxious to make sure I had everything for a pleasant stay.

There is a light snow predicted for tonight, but nothing substantial. So, it seems, it will be another week of paradise for piste skiers (, and frustration for off piste powder hunters).

Thanks for the advices I received earlier on this thread. I wish you all a fantastic season.
snow report
Thanks! Am out there in 2 weeks so fingers crossed conditions are still good.
ski holidays
@Aussieboy looks like a great little find: Chalet Bergidyll, Winkelmatten, Zermatt

I was staying down in Täsch for not much less: Alpenhotel / Matterhorn Inn

I had the advantage of breakfast provided and the spa facilities, but the cost and general disadvantage of getting the shuttle train each day and then the train up to the Gornergrat. Would still recommend it to others though.
snow report
Just watched a youtube video of Cervinia that seemed to show some cracking views of the matterhorn - I suspect some were from the Swiss side - but are there any recommended viewpoint stops for the Italian side? I'm not familiar so if you can relate it to the piste map that would help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy