Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots as hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
My husband has now got his own Ski Boots and it’s the first time we’ll be taking them with us. Can he take them on as his hand luggage or will we need to pay for a Checked-bag or ski carriage?

We fly in Easter hols, Jet2 Birmingham to Turin.

Thank you, no idea how this works.

He keeps saying I should invest in my own too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes - hand luggage. They should fit in a standard wheelie unless he is Sasquatch or something.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Airlines' policies on ski & boot carriage are always a bit of a variable opaque mystery. Their website may say one thing (if you can decipher it); yet they will tell you something else on the phone. Then when you arrive at the airport, it can be another story altogether — often because the check-in agents at the airport are not actually direct employees of the airline themselves, and don't have a clue what their policies are.

But assuming that you are not taking your own skis, then you can take the boots as hand-baggage:

https://www.jet2.com/faqs?topic=baggage-and-sports-equipment&category=hand-luggage-allowances

And here is a good boot bag that fits most dimension requirements, as it fits the boots flat together, rather than next to each other:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10930353738100671427?q=ski+boot+bag&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1243&bih=1164&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXxfhxDzMmOzNGVTvavKJ9N7LSi4BSQyADHCCyFsU6hrdvVfbhiSVKmE3QCfjGCBuf_PwYeaPN5o7iwfFadnF-RrvTEKGSoA2TTAp4dHbXvhAbqlA8xIZAFPVH71WCefxsQDB4yV5hZ0EUblJLnsbsw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2-ID3_pHkAhXHVRUIHerfCiY4FBDZKwiDAQ#

But you could just get-away with any old rucksack you have. Just depends on how strict they are about the dimensions.

The big issues arises when you have your own skis AND boots. Then it's anyone's guess normally. You will have to pay extra, but does this include skis and boots in separate bags? Or should they be together in the same bag (not really possible). And some airlines, like BA, will charge you an extra bag charge for BOTH your skis and your boots; if you don't take your boots in the cabin.

And yet other airlines will let you just take on giant bag, into which you can stuff your skis, boots and all your clothes.

Whatever you do, print-out the airlines policy for ski boots, and take it with you to the airport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Poogle, I have not seen any airline with a policy that you can't take them as hand luggage, by talking about hold luggage you're needlessly confusing the issue by trying to answer a question which wasn't asked.

I chuck mine in a wheelie suitcase that fits the carry on dimensions of most airlines (including Flybe, who are a bit weird). No problems in 30 or so flights.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everybody.

We shouldn’t have a problem finding a bag to use. No skis, just boots so far.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

...trying to answer a question which wasn't asked.

Yeah — that's one of my better Super-Powers, took me years to perfect it! snowHead too snowHead too snowHead too
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@peanutlady, If the bag your boots are in fit the dimensions for the airlines carry on policy, there will be no problem.

Quote:
He keeps saying I should invest in my own too!

He's right! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only issue I've come across is the weight of the hand luggage... I've taken my hand luggage and put them in my suitcase too. I'd prefer to keep them on me, but if I'm taking a laptop or whatever else with me to be able to do some work whilst I'm out there, then I struggle with the weight limit imposed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rake my boots in my hand luggage. No problems with the weight even if I have the laptop as well. It is very rare that I have had my hand luggage weighed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@peanutlady,

https://www.jet2.com/faqs?topic=baggage-and-sports-equipment&category=hand-luggage-allowances

"Hand Luggage Allowances
You may carry on board one piece of hand luggage free of charge, as long as it weighs no more than 10kg and is no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including any wheels and handles. If your hand luggage weighs more or is larger than this, it will need to be checked into the aircraft hold, and you may have to pay an additional charge.
You can also bring a small, personal item on board (such as a handbag, laptop bag or airport purchase), as long as it is placed underneath the seat in front of you. Please note that you cannot drink any alcohol purchased at the airport during the flight.
There are restrictions for the carriage of liquids through airport security in hand luggage; all liquids, aerosols, and gels must be presented for screening in containers of 100ml or less, and within a clear, resealable plastic bag of no more than 1 litre in capacity. Anything exceeding these requirements will need to be placed into your hold baggage and checked in.
All hand luggage is carried in the cabin at our discretion, and we reserve the right to check it into the aircraft hold for operational or capacity reasons. If this is the case, you must ensure that you remove all valuable items (including travel documents, money, medication, keys, spare lithium batteries, as well as any electronic items containing lithium batteries) and carry these with you in the cabin"

So.…. obvs...…… clear as mud!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've always checked mine in the hold, I use my hand luggage for clothes, more efficient on space i find.

Never had any problems in hold, they never ask me even though I check a ski in for the hold too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought a bag that fits the exact hand baggage dimensions for BA (a bit restrictive now though as the other airlines dimensions seem to be a bit smaller now and dont risk it.). My boots go in nicely plus a fair bit of other stuff.

The family’s boots usually go in the checked bags!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the subject of hand luggage bags for ski boots recently came across this which looked perfect for the job.

Caveat - Mike Ashley etc

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-tarp-logo-35-litre-backpack-791051
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimastaaah, Coming back recently from Venice jet2 offered to put my carryon bag in the hold for free. I took by tablet out and that was it; nothing to hoik around the airport. It was great.

Provided what you have in your carryon bag meets the weight and dimension restrictions then what is in it is a security issue and that can be a bit hit and miss. I assume we have all carried a knife on board at some point, but I was stopped once when the kid on security wasn't happy about my climbing rope (I suppose he thought I would tie the pilot up with it). In another aisle my son was pulled aside with his climbing rack. My wife wasn't stopped even though she had both in her bag. Actually the kid called the supervisor over who said it was OK. No doubt he was a trainee who had never seen a climbing rope before.

I think the 10kg thing is about the structure of the luggage racks in the plane. They may only be designed to withstand loads of 100N in event of heavy landings.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rabbie, I haven't either, but have always been mindful of the weight after I saw every small case with wheels (can't think of the name of them off the top of my head) weighed - thankfully I had mine in my backpack, which they made me put through the size checking create thingymajig, but after that, and with my laptop not folding completely flat (it's a surface book - im concerned about my boots putting pressure on the daft hinge) I put them in my suitcase, and have my laptop + goggles in my hand luggage.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@skimastaaah, Coming back recently from Venice jet2 offered to put my carryon bag in the hold for free. I took by tablet out and that was it; nothing to hoik around the airport. It was great.

I think the 10kg thing is about the structure of the luggage racks in the plane. They may only be designed to withstand loads of 100N in event of heavy landings.

I think it's also due to risk of heavy items falling out onto peoples heads during the frantic rush to bag a space for your bag, or when unloading after landing. Ski boots on the head will hurt, especially if not in a padded bag.
snow conditions
And if you can't fit them in your bag, there's always this option:
https://www.facebook.com/skipedia/photos/a.178908528825764/1948119821904617/?type=3&theater
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy