Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2019-2020

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone crossed over into Italy the last few days. Was booked it go Friday. Just wondering about any delays at the border. Also interested if the slopes are any quieter.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamboy wrote:
Anyone crossed over into Italy the last few days. Was booked it go Friday. Just wondering about any delays at the border. Also interested if the slopes are any quieter.

I was over there last Thursday and Friday, it was much quieter and no issues at the border
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Talking of crowds I was amazed to see while waiting in the scrum at the Parsa lift at Brevent last week that the ski school line is also a singles line. And nobody was using it so you could scoot straight on. Has it always been like that and I’ve been a complete idiot bitching about half-full chairs going up? How long have I been queuing for no reason!?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve77, I have never noticed that! Good to know...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve77, I wish I’d noticed that last week!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the marie.

Monday, February 24, the Chamonix valley has its eyes on neighboring Italy where several cases of coronavirus have been declared in recent hours. Do not panic but precautions are to be taken.

In a press release, the Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Valley community of municipalities reports: "Following the extension of the coronavirus observed in northern Italy and due to the border situation of the territory, the president of the community of municipalities of the Chamonix-Mont-Blanc valley and mayor of Chamonix spoke today with the Ministry of Health, the director of the ARS and the Prefecture of Haute-Savoie in order to know and share the measures to prevent , stop or control the development of this virus. A national emergency plan is being deployed. "

What does this "national emergency plan" mean?

Now is not the time to consider closing the Mont-Blanc tunnel, from where several thousand vehicles from Italy pass through every day. “Blocking the border would mean stopping everything. We are not there yet, "said the mayor of Chamonix, Eric Fournier. The plan implies that the state and public authorities relay as much as possible the prevention measures and information concerning in particular new cases of contamination, if necessary. For information, you can reach 0800 130 000 or go to the website of the Regional Health Agency. Note that to get a contact at the phone number, you have to be very patient.

What should the population do?

Not much more than yesterday ... The mayor of Chamonix, who spoke on the phone with Olivier Véran the Minister of Health today, said: "If we have been in contact with someone, he you must call 15. The population must also keep themselves informed via 0800 and the ARS website. "

Two weeks after the general mobilization against the coronavirus in Contamines-Montjoie, the elected chamoniard also vice-president of the Region insists: "Let’s keep serenity". And, in conclusion, recalls: "To be infected, you have to stay more than an hour within a meter of a sick person. "
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jbob, Thanks.

Quote:

"To be infected, you have to stay more than an hour within a meter of a sick person. "

I'm not sure the data are in for him to be quite so confident (or, indeed, not).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@jbob, Thanks.

Quote:

"To be infected, you have to stay more than an hour within a meter of a sick person. "

I'm not sure the data are in for him to be quite so confident (or, indeed, not).

I'd go further - that statement is nonsense. I think we are learning that transmission requires close proximity (WHO spokesman said that on Today this morning) but it clearly only take a drop of moisture which COULD happen in a few seconds. I guess an hour might be a threshold before it becomes reasonably likely but still...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yet again, this all reminds me of the dilemma faced by the mayor of the town in Jaws.
I certainly don’t think at this stage anyone can be so precise as to how the virus is transmitted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jbob, not for the first time, I think we're going to need a bigger boat!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HammondR, back Sunday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jbob, you and the present Mrs @HammondR. There be plenty of new snow. Over a foot on our way up to Mont Arpille this afternoon, and 9 inches on the car when we got back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HammondR, yes.

“ ChxAv27Feb. 4/5. Risk initially 3/5>1500m, + 2/5< but quickly rising with heavy snow and very strong winds. Slab forming on all aspects, which will be easy to trigger. Spontaneous slides will occur on steep slopes, notably in collection zones near ridges and cols #CAUTION”
From avalanche academy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A must watch, sorry it’s a Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/chamoniarde/videos/542423536661882/UzpfSTE2NDk4NTcyNjg5MTI2ODozMDM1MTM3MzIzMjA5NDEz/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A sobering watch indeed. I've skied that gully several times as I'm sure many here have.

Anyway, conditions. GM had quite a lot of snow that was obviously chopped to pieces within 10 minutes of opening. Couple of runs in the Canadian bowl were nice enough in soft chop. Was still hitting the icy base fairly regularly so you can't relax too much and I had a spill when hitting an unexpected icy lip (I blame poor vis....)

Didn't bother with bochard as the vis was bad and finished with a run down magic forest which was ok but nothing to write home about. Been coming down heavily all afternoon though, glad I came down at midday and have been inside with soup and tea!
snow conditions
jbob wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/chamoniarde/videos/542423536661882/UzpfSTE2NDk4NTcyNjg5MTI2ODozMDM1MTM3MzIzMjA5NDEz/

Thanks for sharing. That is terrifying but I will be showing my kids!!!
snow conditions
jbob wrote:

Saw this this morning. Got to feel for the dad. At least he was smart and had his kid wearing a beacon. Not to be too harsh, but dad should always be the tailgunner off-piste with one eye on the grom and one for the piste. Just my 2 Eurocents.
snow conditions
We skied a lotnoff piste when my kids were that age. While in theory you would want a grown up front and rear and keep the group tight it’s not in practice always like that. Massive respect for the guy for sharing and also finding the lad so quick. A few years back a group of lads skied down at the end of the day at le tour and weren’t so fortunate, one went missing on the way down and was only found the next day. I think there’s a temptation to see le tour front side as mellow.
latest report
@jbob,
Quote:

I think there’s a temptation to see le tour front side as mellow.

And it is not.
latest report
Pretty gripping stuff. Even leaving aside that it involved a kid, it's a reminder of why you should never ski off piste alone. Even a small thing going wrong could kill you.

I think a couple of years ago a young british girl in her 20s died I think towards the bottom of the home run in g m, think she went off the side of the piste, crashed and snow collapsed on top of her. No one saw and she died. Am I right in that?
latest report
@8611, I remember that. It was at the end of the day on the home run.
snow report
Absolutely hosing it down in Cham town this evening (rain). Hopefully rain/snow threshold not too far above town...
snow report
i"m hoping to do a one day trip to the brevent/flegere slopes, i want this to be fairly relaxing and its all about taking in the views rather than hard core skiing, so i plan to mainly stick to the blues, but i would like to take in a red run on either side, so given that i am a slow relaxed skier which red runs should i consider, i"d like to go to the top of the skiing area so on the brevent side it would have to be the cornu or the charlanon and on the flegere either the crochues or lachenal, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
@compostcorner, For the views you should go up Charles Bozon. It is technically a black back down but really not that hard. Actually, Lach is probably tougher. For lunch, should you partake, we are hearing nice things about what used to be the Chavanne bar. Probs need reservation.
latest report
All the reds are real reds if you know what I mean - but if skied in the morning in good snow (which is what there is currently) they are nice. Agreed about the black at Brevant this is fine and can be skied using tracks to avoid the steep pitches. For the other easier ones go Cornu and crochues. Hope you get a clear day as views are great.
latest report
thanks for your replies.
ski holidays
Hi all. I’m considering a long weekend in Chamonix in 10 days, flights to Geneva and car hire booked already - just haven’t chosen resort or booked accommodation yet. Thinking Chamonix as it might have the best conditions around Geneva due to altitude? Some apartments I’ve seen are close to Aiguille Midi lift, I can’t seem to find a piste map online that shows the runs, is that a good location?
snow report
@WillowWilson, plenty of snow about at the moment I wouldn't be worrying much about altitude given that and the time of year.

Chamonix is a group of unconnected areas, unless you are going with a guide, doing lots off piste Aiguille du Midi wouldn't be the place to based near.

What sort of skiing are you looking for? Where have you skied before? Is it just you?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WillowWilson, there are some cheap apartments close to the midi lift. Its called cham sud, its a bit noisy, with lively bars, but they are small. They are not convenient for any ordinary lifts but are handy for the bus.
If that sounds like you then go for it. If you want to be closer to the ski lifts then Argentière or Le Praz maybe some thing up by the Brevent lift would be better.
We’ve just had a ton of fresh snow and more on the way so no worries on that front.
latest report
@WillowWilson, for a long weekend, if it has availability, I'd suggest the Grands Montets hotel which is usually pretty reasonable and is about 400m walk from the main lifts in Argentiere.

As @Layne, and @jbob, says, the area around the Midi lift isn't great for skiing unless you're into some pretty hard core offpiste.

If you're aiming for low budget, I think there's a hostel (ski station?) up by the Brevent lift which is a good location.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@WillowWilson, plenty of snow about at the moment I wouldn't be worrying much about altitude given that and the time of year.

Chamonix is a group of unconnected areas, unless you are going with a guide, doing lots off piste Aiguille du Midi wouldn't be the place to based near.

What sort of skiing are you looking for? Where have you skied before? Is it just you?

I’m going with a friend and we like to cover a lot of distance, almost always on-piste though. I might look to see if there is some accommodation in the other areas mentioned. Cheers!
ski holidays
[quote="snowdave"]@WillowWilson, for a long weekend, if it has availability, I'd suggest the Grands Montets hotel which is usually pretty reasonable and is about 400m walk from the main lifts in Argentiere.

Had a quick look at Grands Montets, €2000 for 4 nights, might be more because we’re going Friday-Tuesday. We’re looking for around £400ish if anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.
latest report
@WillowWilson, that must be for the presidential suite, which to be fair is lovely (one of my mates got an upgrade last year!).

If you like to cover a lot of distance on-piste, I'd reconsider Chamonix as a destination. Morzine/Avoriaz, Flaine, even St Gervais or Megeve would suit better.
ski holidays
Wow it's been a good few days! I'm having a day off today - I hope some of you are still out there enjoying it Smile

Saturday - ski touring in Combloux. That was, erm, interesting... I was with the Womens Mountain Club, and the guides took us up Petite Croisse Baulet. Very strong winds at the top, very little snow to try and ski over to get down, and then heavy or sugary snow lower down, plus lots of dodging bushes Laughing It was a very entertaining day though! I'd definitely do the route again when the conditions are better.
Sunday - GM. Stunning! Sooooo much fun in the fresh snow and sunshine. First run was up Herse and through Canadian, then lapped Lavanchets after that.
Monday - just lapping pistes in Les Houches with some friends who were visiting. Mostly decent condition on the St Gervais side - and the home run was a poweder fest after the snow was being chucked down over lunch!
Tuesday - up to Le Tour for more powder fun. The wind effects were interesting to see! It was reported as Cat 4 in the morning, so we stuck to low angle, and were initially worried about what slopes were skiable given the big 'holes' from the wind. Turned out when you're on big Whitedots they were really soft and fun to crash through and over Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Fantastic snow and day.
ski holidays
The extreme wind effects at Le Tour yesterday.

latest report
Agreed, amazing couple of days. First lifts at GM Tuesday for 2 all-time great powder laps of lavancher bowl. As always with GM it got rogered pretty quickly but the soft chop was still great fun.

Went to Le Tour for the afternoon which was a mistake as the snow had become sun-affected and heavy making the large sastrugi difficult to navigate. CdMB made no effort as per usual meaning the boarder cross, slalom run, snow Park and aiguilette drag were all shut. Considering the prices they charge they really do take the wee wee. Lifts all opened late as well.

Today we got the midi up at 10.30 and had some fantastic fresh tracks on the top section of voie normale in packed powder. There will still be fresh tracks to be had for a couple of days I'd say.

Salle a manger is more open than usual and I skied over an open crevasse so care required round there.
ski holidays
Same here two cracking days. One at le tour, avoid the front side. VB today 10:10 lift so @Meltus, must have been near. Did the Gros Rognon variation. Great snow but some scratchie bits low down.
Don’t remember better conditions. Also had to hop over a crevasse at one point.
Due a bad weather day tomorrow according to the forecast, need a rest anyway.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/ibNHi14jp3E
latest report

This means two things.
Go back to bed.
Another powder day soon.
snow report
Decent ride down the Glacier Rond, a couple weeks ago.

http://youtube.com/v/gCTz72jMLec&feature=emb_title
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy