Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2019-2020

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, 50/50 where I was. Some nice turns, some hard/crunchy/not so fun.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fixx, it just generally didn’t look too inviting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Chemin de Gourgnes.

This looks to have on street parking, I was just wondering how busy it is this time of year to find parking on a daily basis. I want to be around the MBC for the week - I have a 5 day beer tasting course.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, how very brilliant!! 5 days? Must be a lot of beer!

We didn't usually find it too tricky last winter to park there for the XC. I don't think it's so well known unless you are going XC.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, it’s very quiet this week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the absence of a specific Courmayeur thread....We had a lovely day today. Felt like a ski holiday!

Got to Courmayeur for 1st lifts and we virtually had the place to ourselves. Perfect groomed pistes, plenty soft enough to get an edge in. Bombardino in Maison Vieille at 10.15 lunch in Cristiana (where apparently Cham residents get local prices!).

Cracking day absolutely blasting round empty, well maintained pistes. Bene!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brevent top ticket now open.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Meltus, sounds like a good day out. did you travel from Cham? how long does it take to get to Courmayeur?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, drove from Cham takes about 25/30 minutes. We parked by the Dolonne lift next to the sports centre.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liam wrote:
@Meltus, sounds like a good day out. did you travel from Cham? how long does it take to get to Courmayeur?

What does it cost to go through the tunnel if you have a season MB unlimited pass ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
14 euro each way with an annual, not certain if you get the same discount with a season tbh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Meltus,
Paid 14.50 each way yesterday with a season MBU pass.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks thats WAAAAY cheaper than without
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, how very brilliant!! 5 days? Must be a lot of beer!

We didn't usually find it too tricky last winter to park there for the XC. I don't think it's so well known unless you are going XC.

thanks a lot, I scoped it out tonight, it looks very icy !!! At the same altitude in the Isere we've got daisies popping up Happy
Don't worry, we only taste the beer, it gets spat out afterwards so should be able to keep a clear head. I hope.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are 4 males
Looking for good food and beers.
Any advice.
TIA
snow report

I used to park in Chemin de cristalliers. It might have been stopped like a lot of others.
snow report
View of Grands Montets from the Col. Love it!

snow conditions
@BobinCH, beautiful!
latest report
Full moon rising.

snow conditions
Lovely piste skiing today at Flegere. Quiet, sunny and the pistes well prepared and in good nick, starting to get scraped off later.

ski holidays
@jbob, nice. Skinned up to Loriaz today, much fun. Notes to self:

1. 2 hours up is my absolute current limit
2. The snow is rubbish on the way up.
3. The snow is, and probably always is, rubbish on the way down.

Very nice lunch however (why do we not have a “fat SHs” moji?

On other matters, having pinged across to Fleg from Brev on Saturday, it looks as though the potential liaison problem was due to some sort of sliding sensor not sliding, hence the encouragement to slide from the sledgehammer. It seemed to be sliding much better on Sat. So business as usual.
snow report
So parked opposite the MBC, no problems but very icy, especially when tipsy! Some guy was blocking the MBC carpark, seemed to be changing his clutch all day.

Weather was superb, especially this pm.
snow conditions
@jbob, nice picture! We left the valley yesterday (Sunday) at 0430, it was stunning driving over to Martigny with clear skies and full moon illuminating the snowy hills.
ski holidays
After 4 days of work back on skis for a few days again. Just back from Le Tour. Lovely sunshine, and most pistes in remarkably good firm condition. A bit wind scoured and icy on the Vallorcine side. Easily accessible off piste almost as firm as the pistes, and has been skied so much it is actually quite smooth! Home run on the Vallorcine side closed, the run down to Le Tour in good condition.
latest report
Quote:

We are 4 males
Looking for good food and beers.
Any advice.
TIA

I quite look Moo Bar up by the station or one or the bars in Cham Sud - - see which is busies (south Bar, Monkey, Beckitt or Bighorn Bistro) for something more relaxed and a bit local. If you want a proper meal can’t go wrong with Munchie and some nice bars along there. My favourite is the Chamonix Social.
snow report
@Chamboy,
Hi do you live in chamonix
snow report
Unfortunately not all year - but I do spend about 5 weeks there each ski season and large parts of the summer.
latest report
Are there any shops in Chamonix that sell ex demo skis or second hand stuff?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am not sure about ex-demo, but certainly ex rental. Go past any rental shop and they will have a rack outside. Or go on the local forum (chamshare?) and I am sure there are people selling old skis on there. Most people have a garage full of old skis!

For ex-demo you could always try to co tact someone like Black Crows. They have a lot of testing days and no idea what they do with the skis after that.
snow report
There is also one week a year when all the shops have what is effectively a big jumble sale in the high street (though there is some good stuff in there and some bargains to be had if you hunt around). It’s normally end of March or beginning of April.
snow report
conor90 wrote:

Not in Cham but on autoroute from Geneva if you have a car https://freeglisse.com/en/
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
conor90 wrote:

Not in Cham but on autoroute from Geneva if you have a car https://freeglisse.com/en/

Yes many.

Technique extreme near the midi are always selling off something. Now there is a dedicated second hand store called apres ski just down the alley to the right of Super U, some really great deals in there at the moment.
latest report
In the market to buy a new pair of downhill ski boots, any particularly good boot fitters people would recommend? We are in St Gervais but no problem to travel.
ski holidays
@SJOSHA, Concept Pro, SOLE or Sanglard are the noted places to go, for good reason. You probably need to call for an appointment.
latest report
The Drus yesterday evening

latest report
Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

Is there any news on the rebuild of the burnt out Grand Montets?

Got a mate going out next week and I was reminded of the fire.

Apologises if I missed it earlier in the thread.
snow report
@Layne, still at least 3 years away. The plans are undecided, lots of chat about moving top station but that would make it a massive project.

@SJOSHA, sole all the way for me. they even have online booking. Got new boots from them 2 weeks ago and they’re fab. However assuming you need the works don’t expect to come out spending much below e700-800.
ski holidays
SJOSHA wrote:
In the market to buy a new pair of downhill ski boots, any particularly good boot fitters people would recommend? We are in St Gervais but no problem to travel.

Just bought my daughter (15) her first new, properly fitted boots from Ronchai (Intersport) in Les Contamines village. The owner, Eric, did the fitting and I was very happy with his approach. He fits a lot of race boots for the race club skiers in Les C (although he pointedly said to us - "if you'd like a race fit I'll happily give you one but I don't recommend it". He didn't have the right boot for my daughter in stock (narrow foot, good skier, wanted tech fittings if poss) but got the right boots brought over from a sister shop that night (baby blue lange XT 120 Free LV - nice!).

Not saying you shouldn't got to Chamonix to UANN's recs just offering a decent alternative if you wanted to save a bit of travel and make it easier to go back for any tweaks.
snow conditions
Would anyone recommend one of those Cham boot-fitters over the others for snowboard boots? Does it even really matter for snowboard boots? I only board a couple of days a season when I have boarding friends come stay, but my boots are about 15 years old and have been sloppy for the last 5 at least.
ski holidays
Boot top or deeper in LH today, everything except the last bit to valley floor in good condition. A bit scratchy on the very steep shaded bits where too many people have been having panic attacks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy