Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2019-2020

Poster: A snowHead
Good to see Cham white again in the valley.

Doesn't happen too often, these days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Whitegold, nonsense.

You really are a glass half empty kind of idiot aren’t you?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skinned up to top bin (well a bit further along from col des rachesses) today from Bochard. Ski down was very pleasant, pretty packed powder and hard work on occasion but nice.

As soon as you got to anything that was traversable from a lift it had been absolutely rogered. Did a lap from herse, through the Italian bowl all the way down to where it joins the last section of pierre a ric. Mogulled to all hell and I was bollocksed when I got down!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Meltus, rather looking forwards to next weeks moguls!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I enjoy them for about 30 metres...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glorious weather up at Vallorcine today. Pistes variable and rather too busy for us so we spent our time off-piste. All tracked out, worn, refrozen and a bit cruddy, but great fun nonetheless!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did Crochues-Berard tour today. Conditions generally good, skin up from Floria was nice but a little hard packed, boot to col was fine. Traverse round to second skin was nasty on the lower section, off-camber icy with repeated downward steps of about a foot.

Second skin track nice and some good snow in places (but not universally) on the descent. Track into buet was in reasonable shape and all streams snow-bridged.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arrived in chamonix today for the rest of the season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Going to warm up the legs mostly on some pistes tomorrow.
Wondering which area to head to for best conditions?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alice8217, Welcome! If you want to join some girls tomorrow I'll be out with a couple of friends - one of whom will be on skis for first time this season, so very much focussed on a warmup. Drop me a PM. (We'll likely do Brevent/Flegere to stay in the sun, and central). I can't think of a bad area to start and get warmed-up - though GM might feel cold tomorrow in the shade! I've been told it's got the best offpiste conditions at the minute though.

I've been off sH for a few weeks - but have been skiing a fair bit. Was getting thoroughly hacked off with the crowds this week, but did get 4 hours of no queues in Les Houches on NY day in the morning Smile Le tour was ok-ish yesterday - we just played in some of the gullies etc to have a laugh. Was at Brevent today for a session with the Womens Mountain Club - conditions weren't exciting (but good cover and grip on-piste) but the session was excellent, and a few of us kept going for more runs after. We've all been given things to work on, so piste bashing (and some mogul playing) was fine - my brain is fried now!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 4-01-20 19:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, thanks that would great, I’ll drop you a DM!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a lovely sunny day at le tour today. Not busy, managed to park ok at valorcine. All the pistes were in good condition especially considering the hammering they have had over the past couple if weeks. Off piste, pass.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pistes in good nick, Lachenal somewhat icy/refrozen at top.

No shortage of idiots skiing too fast for their abilities, the conditions and other skiers...

Lots of boarders too Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lachenal very much nicer by being there earlier before refreeze and a significantly fewer idiots.

Ended up downloading Flégère and catching a bus for first time in 13 years as the liaison seems to be developing some sort of problem, which, as we headed away, had escalated from lifty kicking unknown apparatus on “landing platform” to “senior lifty engineer” taking a sledgehammer to it.

Didn’t do anything for my confidence ... Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
No shortage of idiots skiing too fast for their abilities, the conditions and other skiers...

I hope that wasn't me yesterday NehNeh Laughing

I was at Flegere with Alice and a few others - very pleasant onpiste. We found the top of the runs off Floria icier than top of Lachenal (and quite a few people heading up the drag!).

Day off today as I've skied 9 days in a row - not sure how Shocked Start of last week included a lot of queuing though, and me often calling it quits after just a couple of hours when people really pissed me off Smile

Can we have some more snow please? Little Angel Or in the interim - any recommendations for tomorrow? Anyone skied GM today?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Ended up downloading Flégère and catching a bus for first time in 13 years as the liaison seems to be developing some sort of problem, which, as we headed away, had escalated from lifty kicking unknown apparatus on “landing platform” to “senior lifty engineer” taking a sledgehammer to it.

Didn’t do anything for my confidence ...

Yikes!! We do not need any more broken lifts in the valley...
latest report
Any word on when the cable car to the top of Brevent is supposed to be back in action?
ski holidays
conor90 wrote:
Any word on when the cable car to the top of Brevent is supposed to be back in action?

I heard anecdotally on Saturday that it wouldn't be open until the end of Jan - but I don't know the original source.
latest report
@fixx, we were up GM today (on offpiste course with Derek Tate/ Ali Culshaw). Off piste good - certainly best we’ve found so far in the last week pottering around Valais and Les Contamines - very nice and chalky, little crud or crust.
ski holidays
@Inboard, ta - that'll be the plan for tomorrow then.

I've got a course with Shona on Friday Smile They've a good team.
snow report
fixx wrote:
I heard anecdotally on Saturday that it wouldn't be open until the end of Jan - but I don't know the original source.

That's a joke. Two of the main lifts in the valley not working - Chamonix would break your heart!
latest report
@Inboard, thats great news. I’ve got the next two afternoons with Alison at GM. Hope I can keep up.
Had a bizarre experience today, my boots that I hadn’t worn since last year felt really uncomfortable. I had to stop after one run which wasn’t going well. Turns out I had the L/R footbeds in the wrong boots! Could have been worse I might have taken them into Sole to be fixed and can’t imagine what that conversation might have been like.
latest report
jbob wrote:
@Inboard, thats great news. I’ve got the next two afternoons with Alison at GM. Hope I can keep up.
Had a bizarre experience today, my boots that I hadn’t worn since last year felt really uncomfortable. I had to stop after one run which wasn’t going well. Turns out I had the L/R footbeds in the wrong boots! Could have been worse I might have taken them into Sole to be fixed and can’t imagine what that conversation might have been like.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
Fixx it’s official.

“ Communiqué Compagnie du Mont-Blanc
Chamonix le 19/12/2019
Téléphérique du Brévent:
OUVERTURE DÉBUT JANVIER

Chers clients, cherspartenaires,
Les travaux nécessaires à lamise en place des nouvelles cabines du téléphérique du Brévent (réceptionde l’appareillage électrique et suspentes) sepoursuivent.
L’ouverture de l’installation etl’accès au sommet du Brévent sont prévus à compter de début Janvier 2020.
Nous vous tiendrons informés dela date précise d’ouverture.”

Sounds familiar, Brevent top ticket, trouble with the cable, open early Jan not sure when.
ski holidays
conor90 wrote:
That's a joke. Two of the main lifts in the valley not working - Chamonix would break your heart!

It’s not really on of the main lifts is it? Accesses more or less one black run.

@jbob, a few days ago, not sure how many, there was the most impressive working platform below the cable and the low station. And about 12 folks working on it. It’s gone and the cable cars have been moving, presumably empty and in testing?
latest report
It still takes an awful lot away from Brevent. It's just frustrating as there's always issues with the lifts
ski holidays
@conor90, which lift are you talking about? If you mean Brev-Fleg link, Ok, fair enough.

But I only said that it seemed to be developing a problem. I got twitchy and we had a meeting later so I decided discretion before valour. It was listed as running when we got home. That said, I think we were halfway down Flegere bubble before the car we had been waiting for moved.

That said, taking a sledge hammer to presumably relatively sensible equipment doesn’t feel like a good look!!
snow report
No I mean the one to the top of Brevent. You're right it's not one of the main lifts but its a really nice run down and there are lots of nice bits off to the side too. Otherwise there's only what, 2 reds? It takes a lot of fun out of the area for me.
snow report
@conor90, could describe as a main lift on Brevent, not the valley though, but I am nit picking. Some very nice bits off the side is very true, and some lovely bumps at times. Glen Plake followed me down them once*.

* He wasn’t aware of it, but it is geometrically true wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Non snow related question - in Chamonix for the next few weeks, had a strolls round town this evening looking for somewhere to have a drink or two and everywhere seems to be closed or very quiet, only Monkey has a few people in it. Is it just a bad time of year or where do people normally go to drink?
ski holidays
@omicron, wellll, it is Monday. Where did you get to?

Bistrot des Sports defo open, maybe not so lively as usual

Surprised South Bar not open, probs not lively

Surprised Bighorn Bistro not open, might look more like a restaurant but also a bar

Irish Coffee?

Big Mountain Brewery?

MBC? (On which there will be a posse? Pack? Head? Of SHs there for beers Wednesday at 19:00)

The Pub? Defo open, maybe a little chilled.

Becket and Wilde?

Oh, and what time did you wander? It’s only 22:30...
latest report
@under a new name, well we have wandered and are still kind of wandering!
Chamber neuf closed, Moo had one person inside, Altitude had very few also, south bar and big horn have no one in them. Beckett and Wilde had a good few at happy hour but they seem to have left!
On the bright side still in Monkey and it has picked up a good bit!
snow report
Elevation/Neuf/Moo, Rue Moulins, MBC, but it is Monday after a busy couple of weeks.
ski holidays
@omicron, it is probably the quietest week of main season ... in fairness ...
ski holidays
Popped up GMs for a nose around and a change. Pistes firm, off piste firm.

Very quite other then some fast but well behaved ESF trainee groups and a couple of UCPA groups, who were as well behaved as you might imagine.

For once, I did not vent my spleen at the chap who screamed past me at warp factor 11 on Pierre a ric, as he was one of the ENSA trainers and had clearly been racing downhills since aged 4 wink
ski holidays
Slide onto the piste (Cornu) at Brevent this afternoon! There's a video on the FB Chamonix group:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/126760207492524?view=permalink&id=1520221358146395&anchor_composer=false

I've not heard anything about injuries etc - hopefully none!

Related - excellent and scary talk by Stuart at Avalanche Academy last night in Bighorn, where he was joined by a father who had to dig his son out of a small avalanche in Le Tour around Christmas (son is fine). A lot of interesting learning points.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 7-01-20 17:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
What's the free parking like at the moment around the Parking Bouchet? Is there still street parking in the area in the winter?
snow report
@davidof, there’s very little free parking. The marie has spent a fortune getting rid of it. I think you can park free at montenvers.
ski holidays
Had a lovely ski at GM today. Piste a bit scraped but the off was very nice with some chalky snow about. Plus it was very quiet especially late afternoon.
latest report
@jbob, "chalky"? Not where I was!
snow conditions
@davidof, You may be better off up the road at the parking by the XC/Parapente LZ, Chemin de Gourgnes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy