Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2019-2020

Poster: A snowHead
Very hard to beat Le Grenier for a lovely, cosy alpine dinner in Argentiere, very good value too (as distinct to cheap). Enjoy!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cham Centre:

- Bighorn Bistro - craft beers - NA food - not the very cheapest but good
- Boccalatte - varied bistrot menu, can't go wrong with "piece de boeuf et frites"
- South Bar - Cham Sud - burgers
- Monkey Bar - Cham Sud - Tacos
- Bistrot des Sports - the usual French thing
- MBC - microbrews - burgers - wings

On hill? - precious little to recommend - we usually take sandwiches and our own wine... Used to be a picnic area at Flegere but it's all been redeveloped so no idea what's up there!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What happened to Munchies?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, good catch

Munchie has gone massively back up in our estimation, small platters, fried squid to die for, stick to the house wine.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 20-12-19 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Munchies was superb last time I was there, prob ten years ago now though!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@8611, we'd stopped going to Munchie* as it was huge portions (puts me off) and the food just wasn't that special and it was expensive.

However, chums were very keen on the last night of the summer so we trooped along and it was splendid, smallish sharing platters, very reasonable as was house wine (relative to Chamonix prices).

A chum was visiting so it turned out that we were there on the opening night of this season and repeated the exercise.

* there's no "s" in Munchie and the chef isn't called Munchie either he he he Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks a lot for the recommendation!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Munchie just opened the other day with it's new menu for winter and was deeeeelicious. The beef and brussels sprouts gyoza are great. If they mention wasabi schnapps as a digstif then I would recommend politely declining...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Meltus, we were there first night. Didn’t notice the gyoza couldn’t see further than fried squids Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've gone off the fried squid a bit tbh, I usually have it every time I go but its a lot of batter and not a lot of squid these days imo. I'm very keen to try mumma which has now opened and is being run by the chef who used to work at Munchie. Pricey but the menu looks great.

For a reasonable lunch in Cham centre, extreme cafe is decent now its been taken over by the poco loco guys. Bagels are tasty and reasonably priced.

Aware that the thread has been de-railed a bit so I will also say that I was up Brevent/Flegere yesterday and the pistes were nice enough after 30 mins in the sun. Areas in the shade were pretty icy and the coming snow will be very welcome. Off piste was pretty horrific.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to love poco loco, for an early evening glass of white wine at the right temperature and some nibbles. Great news they are back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, good catch

Munchie has gone massively back up in our estimation, small platters, fried squid to die for, stick to the house wine.

Excellent. Definitely going to use our free passes this season for some AdM action and pay it a visit!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Meltus, hmmm, interesting ... ... We weren't so impressed by "The Shack's" menu so never tried it but the Mumma menu looks mighty fine. "Tempura Artichokes" has Mrs U's finely tuned artichoke antennae twitching.

Maybe we need a "Chamonix Fine Dining" thread?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Argentiere side was snowing heavily this (bit of rain before sun is up I believe) morning, and relative sunshine this afternoon up to top of plan joran and then some. Halfway up bichard it's misty high wind, not much new snow falling. Side-piste with fresh powder in the morning has been tracked out Confused

Pierre a ric is crappy. A bit of spring snow layer on the end bit before the station, but unimpressive overall.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Popped up Brevent and over to Flégère just for fresh air as the skies were kind of clearing. Also I need to optimise my boot experience, which I think I've done.

Good cover all round. As the AA used to say in Scotland, "Fresh snow on a firm base".

Lots of real idiots around though, I know it's xmas week and all, but really? One forgets.
ski holidays
Can’t talk about lunch in Cham and not mention Hibou!
ski holidays
Snowing heavily in Chamonix when I got back at 10:30pm tonight.
snow conditions
From Avalanche academy.

ChxAv22Dec. 3/5. NB Risk increasing significantly during the day, especially into the evening due to massive snowfall and very strong winds. All aspects will become dangerous, and steep slopes and high altitude should be avoided.Both spontaneous slides and triggered slides likely
ski holidays
Snowy evening but only maybe 5cms on the car this morning.

More forecast ...
snow conditions
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/mont-blanc/OPP03

4/5 tomorrow.

Avalanche Academy

ChxAv23Dec. 4/5. Very heavy snowfall combined with strong winds will produce a very unstable snowpack on all aspects. Avalanches will trigger easily(and spontaneously) on steep slopes >1500m. Extreme caution is advised.
latest report
Skied St Gervais today (with avalanche academy for an early-season education session) which was lovely above 2000m and ok above 1600m.

Took a while to get there as had to help push (and then take over the driving) to get someone off the exit road from our car park. Wheelspin is rarely the answer when stuck.

On the drive back this evening I noticed the "Closed" signs for the col des Montets, which I take as an indication of unstable conditions.

I suspect we'll be in Les Houches tomorrow, not sure anything will open at the Argentiere end of the valley.
snow conditions

They might be slow opening the Cornu tomorrow!
ski holidays
The road from Argentière to le tour is closed. Normally done for avalanche control reasons.

4/5 again for Christmas eve.
snow conditions
Help: i will be staying soon at mercure chamonix near train station. How can i go to brevent?
snow report
@RonWeltyPT, walk or bus. It's not that far, really. 10 mins.
ski holidays
@RonWeltyPT, if you walk, no need to walk up the hill, the savoy drag lift will take you from the town up to the Brevent. P
snow report
Well, had a Christmas ski up at Brevent/Flegere today. The snow was pretty atrocious, most off-piste is horrendously rain affected. Pistes were rammed with Debutants as the usual beginner areas are shut but were nice once some soft moguls formed. We binned it off to open the prosecco at 1 (which we took too long enjoying and now have an overdone turkey...)

Weather looks toasty for the foreseeable future Sad
snow conditions
@Meltus, GM was the same. Went up thinking it would be amazing after so much snow but wind affected above 2300 and rain affected below.

Post lunch it was much better as the crust had been broken up to expose lovely soft chopped up snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems most storms in the Alps these days end poorly. Impressive snowfall followed by rain.
latest report
Damn, im arriving saturday... i think im screwed
snow conditions
Pistes were OK up at Le Tour today. Queue for the gondola, but not too busy once up the hill. Off piste was horrible, largely breakable crust. At least it was sunny!
latest report
Is anyone staying at the Chalet-Ski-Station hostel by Planpraz ski lift in the next few days? I will be checking in tomorrow and I'm keen to hook up with anyone looking to ski off piste and/or do some light ski touring. Nothing crazy, it'll be my first week of the season, so the main aim is to get my legs working again! Also, from the above comments, sounds like conditions aren't great...
latest report
@Ptspeak, no.

Chucking it down just now, maybe 20cms on the car ...
snow report
RonWeltyPT wrote:

Are you joking? 30cm of powder down to 900m last night and today followed by wall to wall sunshine all week is about as perfect a forecast as one could wish for in Cham! Vallée Blanche could be sensational...
snow conditions
@coolbeanz, conditions likely to be fantastic.

I realise we aren’t professional communicators here, but I am somewhat astonished at some of the comments here & on some of the weather related threads ...
ski holidays
Over a foot of fluffy deep powder on GM this morning. In Bochard bin now.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
RonWeltyPT wrote:

Are you joking? 30cm of powder down to 900m last night and today followed by wall to wall sunshine all week is about as perfect a forecast as one could wish for in Cham! Vallée Blanche could be sensational...

I think he was being sarcastic.
latest report
@Ptspeak, Sarcasm, snowest form of humour.

Nice few hours up La Tour, even found some fluffy bits.

Remarkably not busy given how "full" the car park was. My suspicion is people parking there for the week, for free.
snow conditions
Went to l'aiguille du midi this morning as pedestrian, tourist style... Some people start going down vallee blanche, no fixed rope yet. Might go down there this monday with a guide. Hmmm first time let's see what happens.
ski holidays
@bashing, not likely to change much between now and then. ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy