Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2019-2020

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, I thought les houches and st gervais were CDA benefits. ISTR a big squabble a few years back when Les Houches was more independent, and we couldn’t ski there on the Chamonix pass. Similarly I thought addition of St gervais ?3? yrs ago was due to a CDA relationship/ownership stake.

I agree with your overall point tho - if only it were like the USA and there was a “full CDA” pass available for all resorts- it hurts to have to buy a full price 7 day ticket for our three valleys trip each year, knowing I have an annual cham pass sitting unused!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob wrote:
https://www.lastampa.it/aosta/2019/11/30/news/una-valanga-ha-travolto-diverse-persone-a-punta-helbronner-sul-monte-bianco-1.38034500

Avalanche at the helbronner. Two skiers hurt.
No avalanche report for chamonix until 4pm today but its 3/5 in aosta and the adjacent bit of Switzerland.

They died.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not good. Two experienced skiers killed in solden on opening day also. I always get the chills when I see lads with 800 times the knowledge and experience that I have getting caught out. RIP.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob wrote:
jbob wrote:
https://www.lastampa.it/aosta/2019/11/30/news/una-valanga-ha-travolto-diverse-persone-a-punta-helbronner-sul-monte-bianco-1.38034500

Avalanche at the helbronner. Two skiers hurt.
No avalanche report for chamonix until 4pm today but its 3/5 in aosta and the adjacent bit of Switzerland.

They died.

Tragic. 2 young fun loving guys... Met one of them last year in Verbier
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhjf3A2HdaU/?igshid=1sbw5s11s5oay
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a first day out at the Brevent area today - lovely sunshine, not too much open but decent enough, though it does need more snow, which is forecast for tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We were up on GM yesterday and today (flew in sat morning and out this evening so slightly tired now!). Bochard piste in excellent condition, really nice for early season warmup. Herse pistes a touch rockier but still better than a few recent Xmas conditions have been.

Touring tracks from Herse and Bochard already looked well cut, tho I didn’t venture up.

Off piste in gullys and dips it was nice, ridges have been a bit wind- scoured. Some great chalky moguls in places.

Anything untouched has developed a bit of a wind crust so wasn’t as good as it looked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing down to the town now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic time out at Grand Montet today. Loads of lovely powder, Bochard and top part of Combes unpisted and great fun. Still quite a few rocks barely covered in the off piste. Glorious sunshine all day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a morning at GM today. Snow off piste (in between the rocks...) was still soft though totally chopped by now. Still good fun though.

On piste was lovely, grippy snow. Shame about the cloud and flat light.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were up there for a bit this morning as well, lovely snow, terrible light! Very few people about as well. According to Chamonix Meteo the light should be better tomorrow (last day off this week).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing in LH this morning, maybe winter is going to stay this time Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cham Meteo forecasting a metre by end of Sat... Looks set to be an epic weekend.

Sadly I'm in Les Deux Alpes instead, with all my off piste gear in Argentiere!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just had the morning up at Grand Montet, for mid-December the conditions are brilliant, lovely fluffy powder, and not too many people. Beautiful sunshine as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobinS, jealous. had chum staying. so not out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@RobinS, jealous. had chum staying. so not out.

Surely the chum would want to go skiing?
snow report
Absolutely chucked it down all night and showing no signs of stopping. Car was a vague white lump this morning. Train was still on time though!

Please be careful anyone skiing today
latest report
@sbooker, said chum has cervical disc prolapse and didn’t enjoy the skiing on Tuesday...
ski holidays
Working today, so just spent an hour digging vans out!
snow report
Info for inbounds touring. In French.

https://www.chamoniarde.com/actualites/divers/amenagements-pratique-du-ski-de-rando-vallee-de-chamonix#
ski holidays
Play safe

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/mont-blanc/OPP03
snow conditions
Hot and sunny in Chamonix today. Will check out the pistes when we have a day off tomorrow.
latest report
Les Houches, no warning signs to tell you to avoid dropping below col de Vosa. Once you get below maison neuve there is barely enough snow to ski.....if you don't mind scratching your skis, if you are worried about scratching your skis, stay above col de vosa.
ski holidays
Did an early season avalanche course today with Stewart at the Avalanche Academy. Mostly flat light though the sun did appear briefly. Snow was surprisingly good off-piste, almost felt like spring snow (presumably due to the fairly drastic warming we've had).

Pierre a ric was open though pretty grim from about halfway down
latest report
Does anyone know a good plumber in chamonix. Got an urgent job.
ski holidays
hi
we are going to Cham for Xmas. we are with kids but want to do some hill strength training skinning up (full kit)- fast approach and ski down and repeat.
I understand it is illegal to use piste for skinning up and there a only three or four ski de randonnee tracks where we can train, they finish just above the tree level (judging from available online maps). Also i heard it is possible to use piste after lifts are closed? Any advice or suggestions? Thank you!
latest report
@kedsky, I can think of a few, the official one at Les Houches has a height diff of around 800m and is in the trees. At GM above the the top lifts there will be tracks but they might be too busy in the day for you. There is a dawn patrol where a few fit youths do the LH track before the lifts open in the morning. Anything on piste even after hours could be problematic. There is a lot of higher up skin tracks about but they will often have people on them if that’s a problem. There are a few lines at Le tour suitable for what you want but you may need to cut the track the first time, in particular there is a skimo line to the left of the Tete de Balme chair. What height difference are you after?
There is a link I posted above with info.
ski holidays
@jbob Thank you for all the advice!

"What height difference are you after?" -The more the better please.
ski holidays
Very windy again this morning, and very warm. Snow up at Brevent pretty decent still, but not much open, some closed due to the wind, but some looks like they are just keeping it for Christmas week! Lots of glide cracks in the off-piste up there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

@kedsky,

Cafe at the mid point. The bottom section is a designated rando track, no glacier, not far from a piste so doing it solo not too risky, never too steep.
ski holidays
@Jbob that is fantastic! many thanks!
ski holidays
@kedsky Here's the info for which pistes you can skin up between the resort closing for the evening and 20.00/21.00hr depending on slope, and a bit more detail about the skinning routes at Le Tour, Grands Montets and Les Houches. http://chamoniarde.com/activites/ski-de-randonnee#

@RobinS There were a lot of pistes closed at Brevent today because there's one particular glide crack that if it goes will hit one of the main pistes, so the pisteurs had to close every piste that leads to that junction alas Sad

Looking forward to an end to the fohen...though it is making the webcams for Courmayeur look good!
ski holidays
My daughter reported that they closed the new Flegere lift around lunchtime for technical reasons! but got it going again.
ski holidays
@jbob, not unreasonable to have bedding in probs once under load? And I hear it’s been windy?
latest report
@under a new name, it was indeed some sort of bedding in problem. The up side was my granddaughter got three extra runs with her instructor.
snow report
Up at Le Tour today. Vallorcine side still closed, but lovely skiing on the stuff that was open. Warm and sunny, not windy today. Skipped the home run as it was lacking snow, but everywhere else was reasonably well covered.
latest report
Gave Les Houches a look today. Pleasant skiing in warm sunshine, but even the open stuff up top is getting thin and holed in places. Desperately need more snow and cooler temperatures for the Christmas and New Year rush.
Got four days of work now so back on the snow next Tuesday.
ski holidays
Fixx it’s official.

“ Communiqué Compagnie du Mont-Blanc
Chamonix le 19/12/2019
Téléphérique du Brévent:
OUVERTURE DÉBUT JANVIER

Chers clients, cherspartenaires,
Les travaux nécessaires à lamise en place des nouvelles cabines du téléphérique du Brévent (réceptionde l’appareillage électrique et suspentes) sepoursuivent.
L’ouverture de l’installation etl’accès au sommet du Brévent sont prévus à compter de début Janvier 2020.
Nous vous tiendrons informés dela date précise d’ouverture.”

Sounds familiar, Brevent top ticket, trouble with the cable, open early Jan not sure when.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 6-01-20 17:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@RobinS, kind of looks as though that will arrive, doigts croisses
latest report
Hi all, long time lurker here, not sure if this is the place to ask, but can anyone recommend places for a quick & cheap place for lunch and dinner (closer to Argentiere is better, or Cham centre, or on the mountain for lunch)? I'll be solo in the Cham valley (never been there before) from today evening until before New Year. Will be doing ski touring course in UCPA Argentiere for the Christmas week where I will gorge myself with the buffet for that week, but also took several days extra staying in other places.

Also what's your recommendation run for the first day warm up tomorrow? Need to find my ski legs, last seen on Easter last year snowHead
snow conditions
In Argentiere, for lunch the bakery/cafe "l'Alpin" is very good - get whatever savoury stuff you like, sit at the tables and use the wifi.

The pizzas at Plan Joran at Argentiere are a _relatively_ reasonably priced option.

Cheapest (and possibly best) is a loaf of bread (€1 for their own receipe loaf at the Alpin) and some salami from super-U...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy