Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment for children

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this one’s been done many times before.

We have 3 boys, 7,5 and 3 (will be 8, 5 and just 4 next time we ski).

February will be the 4th time we go as a family to Puy St Vincent (Snowbizz). We have our own skis. We’ve not booked yet next year for the children’s skis/boots yet as we’re tempted to buy our own as the rental options aren’t a great standard (although I know not a big issue when they’re little) but given £50-70 each we wondered if in the long run we’d do better to buy as we’ll get the use passing down between the children and could work out cheaper. We have free ski carriage so we’re thinking that we just sneak them into our ski bags.

Any tips/advice? I’ve looked briefly at sports direct/decathlon. We’re S Manchester so considering a visit to the Ellis Brigham outlet in Manchester.

All tips and advice gratefully received (including if you think we’re silly and for the time and hassle finding the right ones would be easier just to rent).
Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kids skis off eBay is the way forward. I swap my daughters every year as she’s grown and it’s almost zero cost once you buy and sell. Boots same.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.
And you think even to pass down between 3 they’ll still be ok for the youngest by the time they get them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have a grab bag of ski boots, snowboard boots and a board for the kids now, all second or more hand, most found on here when other parents clear out their stashes, so either post what you're looking for or keep a sharp lookout for For Sale items.

It only really works if your carriage costs are zero, so factor that going forwards. I only considered their own kit when we started doing the drive down to the Alps. 3 pairs of small ski boots still add a good few KGs to the luggage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
long run?
How much use do you expect them to get?
You got ages where you may get away with handing down, but if you ski once or twice a year, it may not be cost effective - especially if it means paying for extra luggage (assuming you fly)

If you buy only for the 7yr old, then that is equipment that could possibly be used for quite a few years as it gets handed down.
Prob best to rent for the youngest.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We fly but we were thinking we’d get away with stashing them in the ski bags with our skis...
Once a year
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a look at the Roces adjustable boots. They adjust by I think 3 full sizes allowing you to get more than one year's use out of each pair, and then pass them on to the next child without the next child having to make do with something that isn't quite the right size. They're more expensive than basic boots from decathlon etc. but I find it very valuable to know that they will always fit and can be easily adjusted.

I prefer to own and take our own equipment as it means I don't have to rush around on first day getting everyone set up, no worries about something getting damaged and having to deal with a big charge from the rental shop, and I think the quality of equipment we end up using is probably better. We can also use it at the snowdome the rest of the year. I do it for the convenience rather than to save money, as I think that's marginal at best.

The downsides are:
- the initial cost, but if you buy second hand and resell then this is a very small consideration;
- the hassle and cost of transporting it. We go by train, so that is mainly just the physical effort of moving around a heavy ski bag.
- the maintenance of the skis. I do this myself, but it is yet another thing to do and probably takes me about an hour per pair of skis per week skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Link to the Roces boots: https://shop.roces.com/gb/children-ski-boot.html

You can probably get them cheaper from some other sellers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowKT wrote:
We fly but we were thinking we’d get away with stashing them in the ski bags with our skis...
Once a year

Last few times we have flown with BA and managed to get 4 sets of poles, 2 sets of adult skis and 2 sets of children’s skis into our double Dakine ski bag, which came in under the 23kg baggage allowance with them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

And you think even to pass down between 3 they’ll still be ok for the youngest by the time they get them?

Absolutely. They'll have had a lot less use than the average rentals. But you do need to think about servicing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The extra weight of boots wouldn't be a big consideration for me - you'll have a ginormous baggage allowance for your whole family - far more than you need for a week's skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I don’ttravel light yet find it generous weight allowance for all 5 of us
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re Roces, thanks, will look at those. I’d seen the Fulltilt but not those.
Anyone got a view on a comparison between the two?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you chose to go with Roces boots, I have a pair size Eur 30 - 35 that I really should get round to selling. PM me for details, pics etc if interested.

Paul H.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great, thanks. PM sent
snow report
@SnowKT, I've bought stuff second hand off ebay, gumtree, here, facebook marketplace... but also new from glisshop and ekosport.

Definitely worked out cheaper than hiring though bear in mind we drive so no ski carriage costs and I service them so no service costs.

Can recommend K2 Juvy ski's.
snow conditions
Another consideration is if your traveling at peak times ie school holidays there may be less choice on hire kit, that's what we found last mid term only crap left with the attitude take it or leave it.
We bought a mix of second hand and new gear (eg. £70 new rossignol frozen skis)

If looked after gear will last for all 3 boys to use.
snow report
Surely you are still going to need to rent or buy new skis and boots for the eldest each time? (And ditch skis the youngest was using). That’s a lot of hassle every time you go. Even if the skis can be passed down and used for a year or two, the boots won’t. You’ll end up back in the rental shop buying/renting boots and have skis adjusted every time.

Will you always have free ski hire? Do you have a magic pass or would you have to stick to certain carriers in future to guarantee it?

Personally, I’d rent for the next few years.
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu,

I tend to agree that gear for kids only makes sense if you ski several times a season.
But if you do then 2nd hand ebay/pass down/resale shuffle is a no brainer
ski holidays
It seems to me that boots etc. from older children won't even have to be sold on ebay, so the youngest child can still ski in it. If you are considering this option, then the purchase of equipment becomes very profitable
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy