Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My review of Solutions 4 Feet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Thought I’d contribute a review on Solutions for Feet, on the forum this is CEM ’s shop. I dropped an email and had a callback to arrange an appointment. All well and good so far and off I set to Bicester.

I’d advise parking in the Sainsbury’s car park as you get 2-3 hours free. The little car park in the square only gives you an hour on paid ticket.

The shop is stacked with ski boot boxes. It’s like you’ve wandered in to Amazon’s warehouse - yes there are boots on display but it’s boxes everywhere and you can see through the window into the lab bench area and there are two fitting areas.

I turned up in work clothes and got changed into shorts in the toilet. Colin was fitting boots with a young racer lass and my appointment was with Keith. Both are quite funny, with lots of chatter and talk between them and the customers and overall it’s quite a nice jovial ambience that makes you feel relaxed.

Keith measured my feet, taking a while to do this properly while looking at the flex in my ankle (operation on the left leg a couple of years ago) - then the rumination started. These chaps know the last sizes and flex and dimensions of all their boots and they don’t bother wasting time with something that won’t fit. First up was one of the cheapest boots in the shop, which fitted well but would need some work on the boot to stretch it out. If you’re going to pay for stretching then perhaps it’s better to just spend the money on another boot I suggested, we discussed. Keith agreed so off to Atomic we went but the medium was far too comfy and I know from a season on the snow that it would pack out massively. Nothing in men’s narrow so women’s narrow came out for sizing and bang that was the one. Just needed it in a men’s. Not that purple and white couldn’t be my colours but I’d rather something that was more colour neutral Smile and without the calf cut out.

At this time about 2 hours had passed. Each boot had been shell checked, the touch points discussed, been flexed in, fastened up and considered. We agreed that they would order a pair in (Colin doing some wizardry on the phone to track some down) and I’d come back.

Less than a week and I’m back in the shop. 2nd time in and Colin was again fitting a young lady ski racer and Keith was waiting with my new Atomics. Shell check again. Just because we think they’re the ones, we are still going to check says Keith. Then tried them on and good to go. No work done yet and already feel good. We now needed to get insoles (always a good idea and my old cork ones were smelly and old) but it feels weird to vacuum pack your foot. Put in the worlds worst pain in the form of toe blocks to push ankle back, leave a space in the liners for my ankle scar with a large sticky padded plaster type thing on my leg and then cook the shells and step into them for the liners to form as well. Cue 10-15 mins of thigh burn.

All done. Ice packs applied to shells. Toe blocks removed. Wait for feeling to return to toes. Time to try them on.

I’m not going to say like a pair of slippers because they’re ski boots but they did fit me like a glove and I could see myself wearing them all day. Damn these guys know their stuff. Good flex, no rubbing on my left ankle scar, no issues on wide toes and narrow ankles held down. Ended up in a 24.5 and I’m a size 7 in UK shoes normally.

Gosh Phil, sounds like you’re impressed. Yes I am. Boots and 4 pairs of socks plus fitting charge and insoles came to £560. Money and time well spent. Can’t recommend them enough basically.

Yes I could have ordered last seasons exact same boot for about £100 less off the Internet - I had a look at prices when waiting for visit 2 ( and then instagram and fb bombarded me with adverts for them) and it would have been a good fit but I wouldn’t have had the insoles or the shell baking or the toe blocks and they wouldn’t have been great. There’s no point scrimping on something you’re going to use and abuse hard for a few weeks a year all day. Im off to the fridge in a weeks time to try them out for 3 hours and any issues then Keith’s already told me to come back and he will sort them out.

I’m really happy with it and hope this helps others and join the legion of people on here who would highly recommend them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds great Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and I forgot to add that we put in a slight lift to the heel in the boots (6mm) and we did something on the back that adjusted the angle of the boot. For the life of me I can’t remember what it was but know it was something to do with angles in the range 13-16 degrees that involved different bits of plastic that would assist me. I’m sure Colin could correct me and explain what it was in a heartbeat.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Oitbc, a similar experience for me. Thanks for sharing.

I've done two weeks in my boots and they've been great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oitbc, always good to hear from happy customers, the adjustment on the back of the boot is to make the shaft of the boot more upright to accommodate for either a larger calf (or in your case) a limitation to ankle joint range of motion, the boot can be adjusted 17, 15, 13 degrees of forward lean, only a couple of times have we been asked to or needed to put it to 17 degrees, the one who asked quickly asked for it to be put back to 15 degrees

hope the sliding went well, it will take a few days for everything to settle down
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM was fitting a young lady ski racer ... so that's what he does these days Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha! This is why Colin and the folks at Solutions4Feet are so good and worth every penny.

I went to see him in July; as my previous pair from S4F — Atomic Redster Pro 100 boots and ZIP liners — were 5 seasons old. Those boots are still fantastic, with no issues. Colin told me I didn't really need a new pair of boots — but that wasn't going to stop me! rolling eyes

After various measurements, trying on boots and discussions, we settled on a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 110. These were great, and have the replaceable sole grips, and the forward lean adjustment as CEM describes above. But more importantly, they are 25% lighter; and are constructed from a type of plastic that has a stable flexibility over a large temperature range. I'm fortunate, as my feet seem pretty vanilla, and so the boots don't need any adjustments. Just the standard heating and cooling to fit the boot and the linings.

Then I was passed over to Andi, who has a clever balance machine to get you absolutely flat on your skis. (You need to bring your skis for this).

So I've yet to try them on the slopes; but I bet they will be fab. And any adjustments from Colin that maybe needed are FOC.

Colin was adamant that I could just reuse my existing ZIP liners and footbeds, as they were totally fine. So I saved a pretty penny there. And I took the liners that came with the new boots, and put them in my old boots — they are the same size. So when I pop them on eBay, someone will at least have fresh, new liners.

All-in-all, fantastic service from Colin and his dedicated team. And he gave me advice on my friend's foot problems in Australia; she brought the pair he suggested at it has really, really helped her issue.

Now is a great time to go and see Colin, as he as all of next season's stock in, and yet he is not totally crazy busy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm booked in for the end of the month. Looking forward to it, if not the bill.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the 19/20 stock in yet?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WASHOUT wrote:
Is the 19/20 stock in yet?

Yep. Colin is pretty much fully stocked with 2019/2020 boots. I think he’s one of the first retailers to get the latest models, as he actually works with a few manufacturers to help design their boots.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes my new Atomic are the new seasons stuff. Nice grey with orange copper type buckles Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
CEM was fitting a young lady ski racer ... so that's what he does these days Toofy Grin wink

Perks of being the boss, that must be what they call 'delegation'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Perks of being the boss, that must be what they call 'delegation'.

'RHIP'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poogle wrote:
Colin told me I didn't really need a new pair of boots — but that wasn't going to stop me! rolling eyes

He told me the same, but I took his advice and my current boots are still going strong!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife was back at S4F once again today.
We are long standing,happy, customers...I think this is her third, maybe forth set of boots over about 15 years?

Colin in understandably concerned over Brexit as there could be a substantial customs duty imposed on boots, and obviously that would mean higher prices.
In turn...less boots sold.

I guess the moral is....hurry up and get your new boots from S4F before that happens....nobody does boots better.
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
My wife was back at S4F once again today.
We are long standing,happy, customers...I think this is her third, maybe forth set of boots over about 15 years?

Colin in understandably concerned over Brexit as there could be a substantial customs duty imposed on boots, and obviously that would mean higher prices.
In turn...less boots sold.

I guess the moral is....hurry up and get your new boots from S4F before that happens....nobody does boots better.
Like everything Brexit-related, that’s just a short-term sticking plaster to avoid the long term damage that will be done...
snow report
Oitbc wrote:
Just needed it in a men’s. Not that purple and white couldn’t be my colours but I’d rather something that was more colour neutral Smile and without the calf cut out. .

The purple boots would have been faster!

Always a good idea to let Colin know what colour boots you need, longer before any fitting takes place. snowHead Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
jamescollings wrote:

The purple boots would have been faster!

Always a good idea to let Colin know what colour boots you need, longer before any fitting takes place. snowHead Laughing Laughing

I’m sure my kids will end up decorating them with some sort of go faster stripe while on holiday
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy