Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax longevity

Poster: A snowHead
Simple question really. Does wax dry out or deteriorate over time. Someone asked if I could wax their skis sometime in advance of next season. Will the wax be as effective as if it was applied just before leaving for the holiday?

I do mine just before I leave. But logistics may make that impossible for the person in question.
Thanks.
Awd
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wax skis with a decent layer of wax but don’t scrape until nearer use.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnoodlesMcFlude, doesn't really help, as the person who has asked if I could wax their skis, has no facility to scrape it off; hence why they asked if I could do them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wax them, scrape them and then tell them to get an overnight service done at some stage in resort. If all you're doing is the waxing then the chances are the edges will need some attention. Not to mention some Ptexing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Awdbugga, Just do them, they will be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What @Scarlet, said.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awdbugga wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, doesn't really help, as the person who has asked if I could wax their skis, has no facility to scrape it off; hence why they asked if I could do them.

do they have a credit card?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

do they have a credit card?

That's what I thought - edge of a lift pass suffices on the first morning if you've forgotten. (yes I know doesn't meet the @spyderjon 20 stages of hotboxing and horsehair brushing levels of finesse but tools not jewels n all that)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
edge of a lift pass suffices on the first morning if you've forgotten

Or indeed the first run... Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awdbug
Just do it, get on with it when it suits you is the priority , procrastination is always the greater enemy.

But.......how about you coat/seal the wax job with that wipe on stuff Jon sells Zardoz?
Its seems overpriced .....but so does Sainsburys in other words,... cost is out of our control.

When you offer a wipe on option to protect the coat...to your Someone getting a diy wax job?

If they front up the extra ££ for Zardoz this will determine the end game or outcome of doing it right now.

Of course if they buy Zardoz some may be left over to use on your equipment !

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 22-08-19 9:40; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@Awdbugga, Just do them, they will be fine.

I will note that some people who I wouldn't possibly identify do seem to affect levels of preciousness when it comes to their own gear such that "it'll be fine"* is not an accepted answer.

* Globbing epoxy on always results in being fine for certain values of fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tirol 164, That is a very convoluted way of getting someone who probably has no requirement for Zardoz to purchase Zardoz for someone who almost certainly has no requirement for it. Well done. Do you work in sales? Laughing

@Dave of the Marmottes, How many gobshite houseguests does it take to fix a mangled topsheet? Three, to stand around pointing and saying things like “what I would do is...” while someone else who is trusted with this skis does the actual work. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
...stand around pointing and saying things like “what I would do is...” Toofy Grin

Surely standing watching and saying "Ooh, you don't want to do it like that!" is the correct approach.

We're at risk of thread drift here but it's just an @Awdbugga, thread so.... Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adithorp, Indeed, probably just confused memories. Imagine a week of it (any SHs bash then, then guess Laughing ), my brain turns to much after that much cowdoo rolling eyes

adithorp wrote:
We're at risk of thread drift here but it's just an @Awdbugga, thread so.... Cool

His question was answered within a few posts, so I think we're free to amuse ourselves now, right?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
His question was answered within a few posts, so I think we're free to amuse ourselves now, right?

Be my guest(s). I lit the blue touch paper and stood well clear. Toofy Grin

@adithorp behave. wink
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
@Tirol 164, That is a very convoluted way of getting someone who probably has no requirement for Zardoz to purchase Zardoz for someone who almost certainly has no requirement for it. Well done. Do you work in sales? Laughing

@Dave of the Marmottes, How many gobshite houseguests does it take to fix a mangled topsheet? Three, to stand around pointing and saying things like “what I would do is...” while someone else who is trusted with this skis does the actual work. Toofy Grin

Obviously you have some trust issues to work on. Why would many years's experience of bodging kit not count for something? I think you are also understating the role of building-site ninja who on some speculation on the right sized noggin of wood promptly vanished in a woosh to reappear with exactly the right piece despite high security fences etc
ski holidays
It sounds more like Scarlet and Adithorp need to ask Admin to change ones name tags to Statler and Waldorf the heckling muppets up in the theater boxes .

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 22-08-19 10:11; edited 3 times in total
latest report
@Tirol 164, any one of the muppets would be an appropriate name change for Mr Thorp.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Tirol 164, any one of the muppets would be an appropriate name change for Mr Thorp.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Edge sharpening or Ptexing need to be done before waxing
snow report
I used to go for wax and Zardoz (to keep the edges rust free, as much as anything). These days I leave my skis in resort with storage wax, then have a shop scrape and wax them before I ski.
ski holidays
Stick on wax and leave it. They then go to any shop and buy something straight, thick, and plastic .

Eg a fuller. Then they use that to scrape it off.

For brushing, use a brush or a scotchbrite pan scourer. If they can then tell the difference they are good enough to get a service on resort after.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy