Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bodging skins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having upgraded to some slightly fatter skis for touring, I find there is a small financial gap in between my aspiration of new skins to fit perfectly and the reality of funds available...
I have a couple of pairs of skins that will fit the length, but will leave a cumulative 2- 3cm of gap between the edge of the ski and the skin.

How much performance could ill fitting skins lose?

Any wisdom/experinces much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming it is 2-3cm (not mm?) underfoot, it may be ok in soft snow and fairly gentle gradients. Nightmare as soon as it gets hard or sidehill. Also depends on how much you weigh - heavier people (like me) need all the grip they can get in some situations

If you don’t want to buy new skins, you can try splitting them lengthways. Leave 6 inches or so at each end unsplit and make sure there is skin near the edges of your skis underfoot. Not as good as perfectly fitting skins but not bad either
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a whole thread about it here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125239
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SBP, I use split skins, and they work ok, but its just for some easy rolling terrain to get to some powder runs. If its windy when your taking them off its not much fun, and all gets a bit tangled, just have to find a sheltered spot.............
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is that 2 - 3cm on both sides of your skin or just on one side?

If it's 2 - 3cm on either side then you're really going to need new skins. You could try second hand, I managed to get a set that were wider than my skis and trimmed them down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Guide split mine for me and it seemed fairly normal for him to be doing this. Used Swiss Army knife.
As the other (Altis) thread stressed, leave some at the front and at the tail un-split, about 10 inches in my case.
I only use occasionally and never expect to be particularly steep.
The two split sections don't sit as snugly on the divider plastic sheet as does a full-width skin so I wonder if the glue might air-dry a bit, particularly over summer in warm storage ?.
If I had a longer personal ski-life expectancy I would buy full width, out of respect to my fellow skinners.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@OwenM, it's a total of 2-3 cm.
The skis are 136-106-126 and 177cm long, but twin tips.
The widest of the skins comes in at 105-80-100, so looking at split skin option until I've done a few extra paper rounds to get a proper fitting set seems a way forward.(getting a new transceiver is at the top of the shopping list at the moment)
These skins are also for the more powdery set of skis, I have a set of wayback 88s with skins and harscheisen as the go-to kit for harder pack.
@altis, thank you for the link. The Contour free hybrid splitskins vid gave a good idea of what can be done with split skins, though noted the glue may be an issue.
Cheers for the thoughts and advice - key bit seems what ever is used needs to work and well, so not to be "that" tour member that makes a trip memorable to others for all the wrong reasons!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy