Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Charniaz chairlift stopped for a bit of time. Hats off (or not?) to the three skiers that just jumped out from the 2nd chair - only about 4-5m and in deep snow but still crazy.

...and my first thought was: I need a pic...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@patrick!, often wondered how far down is ok to jump if stuck on a lift. I think I’d hang from the footbar first and then just land the drop without breaking anything ideally. So 2-3m tops in fresh snow.

In other bizarre news, kids ESF instructor announced the group has to dig their own snow caves out this weekend and they will spend a night there next weekend. I don’t know if they are serious, but the group spent half of today digging homes above the freeride zone . Gonna be 2 interconnected rooms in the snowpack to fit 12 kids, on a 40+degree slope

Hope they manage to fall asleep safely

AB74-E650-8-A93-442-C-A8-E0-36-F10472-A939

714-E8838-B857-4-E9-A-A100-2-AA3-A7261-E3-A

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 8-03-20 8:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:
Has anyone used Chamexpress for transfers?

Used alpy bus the last trip, which was fine going to the resort, but going back they were grouping people together on to a coach, then doing a coach pick up in Les Gets, so we ended up leaving way too early for a 9pm flight.

Just wondered if Chamexpress are doing something similar? As we only have 4 days skiing, want to maximise our last day before heading back for the 9pm flight.

Cham/Morz express, easybus and Alpy are all owned by same multinational company. And yes, they are pulling the same coach trick this season, even more so as they hoover up more and more of the cheap as possible crowd. Use a small local independent operator.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@polo, what is it your kids are involved with with the ESF? is it sort of a ski club but not all race oriented?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It’s the multi-glisse season course. Been really impressed with the scope of it, they’ve covered giant slalom, avi training, ski service, snowboarding, survival etc in amongst the weeks of off piste / all mountain skiing. 6-7 hours every weekend and 3 full weeks spread over holidays, so today is his 9th day in a row of lessons after the half term week. They seem to find untracked snow 2 weeks after a snowfall and have done loads of boot packing and routes I’ve never tried.

He came up through the ESi 360 system over the last few years but we’re now trying ESF for the first time and it’s clear the professionalism and instruction is on a much higher level.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo, some folks have nothing good to say about ESF, me on the other hand have never had a problem
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mother hucker, I agree - only heat good things about ESF in PDS. Kids seem to progress and want to go back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nelbert75 wrote:

Cham/Morz express, easybus and Alpy are all owned by same multinational company. And yes, they are pulling the same coach trick this season, even more so as they hoover up more and more of the cheap as possible crowd. Use a small local independent operator.

Thanks, that's what I thought the answer might be!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Avoriaz at the moment. Had a great sunny day yesterday in Les Gets and Morzine (thanks to all for the route info on this thread).

Looks to be 10-15 cm that fell overnight. The avi control has been going since 6 am.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fresh snow down to 950m overnight. There was 10cm of wet snow @ 1250m
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whilst I don’t wish to turn this into another coronavirus related thread,what do people think the likelihood of Morzine/les gets avoriaz closing down is?
My wife is supposed to be heading out next Wednesday with a group and is unsure whether to still go.
My view is , unless our government advise against it,the French government place travel restrictions or the lifts shut they should still go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bobhitch, you should post on the CV thread where you will get many expert opinions.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bobhitch, Its business as usual today.
Mrs WoC works for ESF, they have had school groups cancel, but thy are still planning on running till mid April.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, Thanks. Good to have some on the ground info. I'm due out from the end of next week for 4 weeks so keeping a close eye on things.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@WindOfChange, thanks for that - chatting to a colleague who's heading out next week so they'll be pleased to hear that!
ski holidays
I would agree with comments above, business as usual here.

Fantastic area, too bad about the rain yesterday and the mashed potatoes today. Never thought I would miss boiler plate ice. Hopefully things dry out and firm up tonight.
ski holidays
Epic day, on the 9am up Braitaz and skied from Chapelle via Torgon, Morgins, Chatel, Avoriaz, Morzine to Les Gets and back.

62km, knackered now and finishing off at Les Cornettes.

https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/43127/title/img-20200311-174130/cat/500

[img]https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/43127/title/img-20200311-174130/cat/500[/img]
(Why is posting a link that shows as an image here so arcane that few can do it)
snow report
@andyrew, you lucky bugg3r, you! snowHead

What does 62km mean anyway? On this thread, PdS knowledgeable folk will more appreciate the route you've taken and the resorts you've travelled through to get an idea of your journey.

So, do I take it, you're currently residing in La Chapelle d'Abondance? Have you ever checked Abondance off your list? Presumably via navette.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-03-20 21:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Here you go...

You just go to the 'snowmediazone' link to see your image, and then where it says 'Linked Thumb' at the right hand side, select its contents and paste it in your post.
snow report
@andyrew, that’s a fair old trek. Hope they don't have to wheel you out of Les Cornettes in a barrow. I’ve been on the receiving end of the portions!
snow conditions
Sweet Smile
latest report
xtr wrote:
I would agree with comments above, business as usual here.

This is good to read. We've just had our Ischgl trip cancelled, considering driving down to Gets instead. Might bring the camper incase hotels etc start closing.
latest report
Chatel seems to running as normal at the moment, biggest concern seems to be the warm weather and thin snow cover.
ski holidays
chrisjackson184 wrote:
Chatel seems to running as normal at the moment, biggest concern seems to be the warm weather and thin snow cover.

Was there on Wednesday and thought the same. It was all a bit patchy so we headed back towards Avoriaz after a short refreshment stop.
We were in Morzine on Monday and it was a bit green heading down in to resort, but otherwise ok.
Snow cover all good up around Avoriaz, Lindarets and Les Crozets after the snow over the weekend, but some light rain was making it a bit slushy/sticky towards the end of the day Wednesday. We came home yesterday night and that's me done for the season Sad
Snow cover nowhere near as good as last season, but got good full days skiing in across 2 trips so can't complain really!
Just to note that otherwise it was business as usual in regards to the current virus situation. I know Rock the Pistes was cancelled just before we went out last Friday, but the rink was packed on Saturday for the Penguins playoff game and all the usual bars and restaurants in Avoriaz full. Nothing too noticeable around resort really and then a few posters in GVA yesterday, but nothing much in the way of other worry. People generally better with their handwash hygiene etc. However, I guess any closures will be made from higher up/government decisions. Hope everyone out there enjoys the rest of the season!
latest report
PDS Swiss shutting:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RegDentsDuMidi/status/1238520477339078658
snow report
Great day today skiing with @windofchange. Snowheads blind date as we never met before - we clearly got on well as managed 50kms of skiing and 10,000m down hill. 5 star snowhead with great local knowledge of Avoriaz!
snow report
Get a room ffs!! wink

Actually, I'd love to join next time, would be great to meet you guys snowHead
ski holidays
@shep, We are meeting again tomorrow if you are around?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doh, family ski day tomorrow (and lunch at Chez Nannon Toofy Grin ). Monday? Or next w/e if we're still open Confused
snow conditions
All shut from tomorrow.
snow conditions
no Patate au Reblochon for me... Sad
ski holidays
@Ozboy, Not sure if it's the 50 kms from yesterday afternoon, or the impromptu "End of Season / World" party from last night, but the closure has provided an excuse to sit out in the balcony drinking coffee in the sun, rather than trying to board with a heavy head.
Thanks Ozboy for a great afternoon, and not letting me go slowly Smile
@Shep, see if we can get TerryF along next time, if he's allowed out to play.
ski holidays
Smile @WindOfChange,
snow report
I am confused- the webcams in Avoriaz show some of the lifts open with people skiing.
\I thought it was a national decree that all resorts were to close as of midnight last night
ski holidays
bobhitch wrote:
I am confused- the webcams in Avoriaz show some of the lifts open with people skiing.
\I thought it was a national decree that all resorts were to close as of midnight last night

Looks like because ski resorts weren't specifically mentioned they're having a last hurrah - the PdS website says they're closed for the season.
snow report
Ironically my son had gone to Morzine this week to go ski touring, ahead of the rest of us arriving next Saturday to go 'proper' skiing. Last night we were all mourning the death of our holiday, and this morning his Instagram showed him on a ski lift! He said they were open for the day, and the lift pass was only 15 Euros, so it seemed daft not to.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
bobhitch wrote:

Looks like because ski resorts weren't specifically mentioned they're having a last hurrah - the PdS website says they're closed for the season.

Am I the only one that is quite annoyed avoriaz opened for Sat? PDS website was clear the area was shut, the rest of the resorts shut, the rest of the alps shut, why was it open? In Châtel I would have loved a last run around a few hills, but the closure was absolute. In my mind Avoriaz deserve getting the book thrown at them for breaching the ban! Skiing was not mentioned specifically by the government, but skiing is ‘not essential to human life’ and therefore clearly banned from midnight on Sat!
ski holidays
My understanding had been that the lifts like Prodains would have been open to enable people to leave the resort, but not for skiing. I also saw Super Morzine had been in action. hmmm
snow report
Same with Prolays, Brocheaux, Proclou, Grandes Combes, plus all the chairs and drags in town. All were shown as running, none needed, or even useful, to evacuate the town.
ski holidays
Has anyone else heard that Dixie Bar is closing/being sold? Something on Facebook....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy