Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
@zzz, Isn't Ratti more or less a piste these days? Take it you are back?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polo wrote:
Yep my kid reckoned 40cm on chamossiere yday morning, but more like 25cm in the bowl. Great quality snow but deteriorating quickly in the sun today.

Skinned up the south face of Roc d’enfer from Chery Nord today with a mate. First time, stunning scenery and nice fresh tracks. Must have been 20-30 people up there who all knew each other. Spotted a herd of Chamois charging down the north side steeps

i saw tracks (presumably some would have been yours) in the afternoon when skiing Mt Chery with my daughter. Looks a lovely decent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mother hucker, yep probably, we came down further right than most others (left from your view). Didn’t see anyone else carrying full avi kit, but it seems a relatively safe line. Bottom half was even more enjoyable in the trees, but we were a little late as the snow got heavy in the sun. Will definitely try it again

Sounds like you’ve had a good week as well. I’ve yet to drop off the back of Ranfoilly but hear it’s great, best to have a guide though.

Looks like a few cm’s last night above 1400-1500
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, yes to both.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did a quick Ratti video. it's tracked out, soft humid snow on a southerly face (1400 to 1850m), but we enjoyed the adventure. I would say more or less off piste though, as it's not actually in a resort, albeit in the area between LG and SJD.
While there are no lifts or piste bashers on it (bar the steady stream of tourers) there have been plans to put a lift up here for a very long time.

The descent was pretty mellow really, especially if you are a slow boarder, gotta take in the views....and I've never seen Chery Nord from this angle, really stands out as a horseshoe shaped bowl.

http://youtube.com/v/TTWQfCPzVJw
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo, you can probably tell why so many locals are against the idea of the Chery Nord, St Jean d'Aulps link. There is extensive touring in that area which would be totally ruined by the arrival of Joe public, although, as you see the other day, many have already arrived.
Thankfully the Mayor of Cote d'Arbroz is totally against the plan so vetoed it last year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zzz, yep I’ve no interest in more lifts, especially the cable car idea across the town. Despite it being approved there don’t seem to be any immediate plans to start construction. Believe it’s all tied into the SJD link you mention, so all or nothing.

Lots of politics no doubt, I am against all further developments. And while the front of MC suffers, the rising temperatures are probably putting the brakes on any expansion plans.

I’d love to explore a lot more of that side before it all changes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo wrote:
@Mother hucker,
Sounds like you’ve had a good week as well. I’ve yet to drop off the back of Ranfoilly but hear it’s great, best to have a guide though.

Mega week, We had a local guy call Benoit Le Croute guiding us. Hes generally a mountain guide in Cham but Peak weeks stays local in Les Gets. In the summer he goes clearing branches and the like for lines in the winter, which we saw the benefit of.
Yesterday we boot packed up to the top of ponte D'angolon. Some great snow coming down in to the freeride zone. Its unbelievable how the snow stays untracked.
Thats me over and out in the PDS till Easter. Verbier next month with a warren smith camp anyone done one?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a PDS newbie - solo skiing next week from Morzine, Weds 26 and Thurs 27, before the rest of my group arrive.

If any regulars are able to show me around it would be hugely appreciated and always happy to get an apres round or two in exchange. Male - 45 who thinks he is fitter and better than he really is but happy skiing on most terrain.

PM me if you're about.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter and some of her friends are out in Morzine for 4 days skiing starting skiing on Sun 29th March 2020, they are staying in the self catering Jolly Good apartments opposite hotel Sherpa.

JollyGood have recommended transfers and a 10% discount via www.morzinelink.com, and they suggest the Gravier ski shop for ski hire.

Are both good recommendations or should I look elsewhere? Given they are students price is key!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't know anything about Morzinelink, but you won't get better service anywhere than Gravier's, and I'm sure his prices are competitive. Sherpa was a right of passage back in the day!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lewis who owns Morzine Link is a sound guy and has lived in Morzine for years.
They are fully insured etc so its a "proper transfer company" and will be a door to door service.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@@247snowman, Ah putting 2&2 together now, yes Lewis is great, just didn't recognise the trading name snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Phil,

Great to meet you tonight on a standout evening.

Looking forward to giving you the unexpurgated tour tomorrow.

8am... Outside Les Fleurs.

Welcome to the team Very Happy

Warrell 90
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skipig, Hi Phil

See response.

Here's to a great powder day tomorrow

Warrell
snow report
how much really fell today? it needs to keep coming for the spring cover. Its looking an immense week
snow report
30cm in Morzine town. I'll report back on the hill tomorrow.
snow conditions
@zzz, where you going to ski?
ski holidays
@warrell, thanks to you and Chris for a great day. Let’s do it again when the weather is more pleasant.
latest report
@skipig, It was superb. Now in Geneva for our early flight...
latest report
Hi all

First time in this thread. To cut a long story short...our trip to Bardonecchia has now turned into a visit to the PdS!

We have booked up in Les Crosets as found a great Air BnB for a top price. It's been a few years since I've been truly ski in/out. We arrive on Sunday, flying into Geneva and driving up.

Basically....after any advice! First time staying in Switzerland and visiting the PdS. The OH and I are both confident first lift to last skiers. What's this Swiss Wall I see pop up places?
Any must do's to add to the list? Any good places for a stop on the mountain?
We are stopping on route to pick up supplies for the trip so will be eating in most nights (as not much in Les Crosets I believe?). Best place to stop on-route?

I read somewhere about night skiing one evening above Champrey?

I assume the links over to France shut in bad weather? Is this common? I guess if you get stuck on the other side then it's probably cheaper to book a room in France?

Thanks all! Very excited.
snow conditions
Les Crosets is pretty and pretty quiet.
Skiing there is great though. On saturdays there's floodlit skiing till 7PM.
There's 3 links to France : Mosettes, Grande Conche & Chavanette (Swiss Wall), it's pretty rare that all 3 are closed.
When it's windy Mosettes and Chavanettes tend to close first.
There's a nice run from the Ripaille ( 2nd resto on the way down is a good lunch stop) , and Grand Paradis is worth doing (once), but not on a board.
The Defago is great, also the rest of the Pt de l'Au bowl, Morgins forest is a nice spot, and the run through the Col du Portes du Soleil past Contrabandiers is a very gentle cruise into Morgins.
Planachaux has a lovely sunny aspect, as does much of Champoussin ( Poussin resto is nice), but for me the best bits of Les Crosets are the 4 gulleys which make natural half pipes, and the Happy Park is pretty sweet.
In the 1980s there used to be a great bar / resto called the Sundance, made popular by the leather-clad waitresses. It's still there, (AFAIAA) but I have not been in for years, and as far as I know the staff uniform is more conservative these days, but I think you can still get a nice Pizza or Steak in there.
On the way up the best place to stop is Monthey where there is a big retail park with the usual suspects : Coop, Migros, Aldi et al..
latest report
@Fridge03, for the Swiss Wall, check out my earlier reply in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3516823&highlight=chavanette#3516823 (and despite @WindOfChange, I thought Grand Paradis was great fun on a board, but yes there are flattish bits, so wax is helpful)
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, I remember the Sundance. Didnt realise it was still open. It was a convenient stop until they removed the P d A chairlift opposite.
latest report
There's apartments now, but it looks like there's still a bar Pizzeria on the ground floor, and the omnipresent Cardinal Beer sign.
I'll make it my mission this Saturday to go and see if I can get a beer (research purposes only).
I remember the old boneshaker chair across the road - so long as I stumbled out in time to get the chair, I knew I could get back to Morgins Smile
snow conditions
Thanks for the tips all. Very useful.

In general, what are we looking at price wise for a large beer/coffee and a pizza on the hill? Having been to both Courchevel and the Dollies, I've experienced both vastly overpriced and silly cheap!
ski holidays
The Cookie Cafe (top of Mosettes) does a deal for burger chips & beer for 20 chufs after 2 PM, which saves a few quid on the standard price.
https://www.cookie-cafe.com/en/menu/

The little cafe at the between the lift bases in les Crosets is very reasonable 2.80 for a Croissant au Jambon (Caveau Corrine).

Switzerland has a reputation as being expensive, but TBH the places in Les Crosets are probably better value than some over the hill in Avoriaz.

The snack hut at the foot of the Wall is also cheap, and the staff super friendly.

As above I will visit the Sundance this Saturday to see if it is
a: open
b: any good
latest report
@WindOfChange,

Im pretty sure The Sundance is just apartments now but would be very happy to be told otherwise.

So the skiing today has been limited by very strong winds. By 11am many of the links were closed so only really skied around Linderets. I’d guess 30cm has fallen but it has been blown around so it’s hard to tell. It certainly wasn’t a go anywhere, carefree ski off piste sort of day. Most of the time we were hitting the base and sometimes that base was grass and rock. Having said that conditions are very much improved. Three days ago I skied Pleney and Nyon and the snow was so thin that I couldn’t see the lower runs remaining open for much longer. That immediate risk has gone with 30cms of new snow at low levels and as I type this, snow falling heavily in town.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, Top stuff. Thank you.

And it looks like plenty of fresh stuff falling as well!
ski holidays
Would definitely recommend the bakery in Avoriaz. It's called Le Fournil De Cannelle.
They do the usual baguettes etc, but also massive pizzas for around €12 I think.

Easy to get to from Les Crosets area. Take the Chavanettes lift up over the Swiss Wall, then ski right down to Avoriaz, Tour lift up to the top end of town, and a ski down through the town, it's right by the tourist office on the main street.
latest report
swskier wrote:
Would definitely recommend the bakery in Avoriaz. It's called Le Fournil De Cannelle.
They do the usual baguettes etc, but also massive pizzas for around €12 I think.

Easy to get to from Les Crosets area. Take the Chavanettes lift up over the Swiss Wall, then ski right down to Avoriaz, Tour lift up to the top end of town, and a ski down through the town, it's right by the tourist office on the main street.

Nice tip! Thanks very much!
ski holidays
how much has fell today? anyone been playing in the pow?
ski holidays
See above.

Since my last post the weather has returned to situation normal this season. ie pissing down in town. The forecast is for it to clear up for tomorrow and Saturday morning before a return to rain, with a snow line between 1800m and 2000m, on Saturday afternoon Sad
ski holidays
@zzz, yep i see now.
im guessing it was blowing a hooley up Avoriaz, 12" will certainly help out though
ski holidays
Sticking to Morzine side as skiing alone for a change. Yesterday was wonderful with piles of fresh snow on the pistes and the occasional glimpse of the sun. Went over to Chery thinking it would be one of those incredible days on the north side, but the visibility was so poor I was worried about being the only one there! Anyway, everywhere else was fine and I skied till way after five.
Today started well. Big queue at Pleney before nine so I scooted across to Nyon and up the Chamoissiere. The top of Les Creux was soft snow on top of the remnants of frozen sideslippers. Once down the first ten metres it was fine, but it’s like this in lots of places. I couldn’t have another go as they’d shut the lift - I guess as it was so windy up there. Fab lunch at the Attray, then only another couple of runs as it was snowing that sharp stuff that hurts!
ski holidays
Sorry guys, me again.

Lift pass question: the added insurance that it offers. Is that the swiss equivalent of carre neige (buying from Swiss side). And talking of buying, is it cheaper to purchase in advance or can I just walk up to the lift station in Les Crosets and purchase when we arrive?

Anyone use the Intersport there? Seems to be them or Chamois sport who are coming out much more expensive!
snow conditions
Bluebird day Smile
snow conditions
Suncream on everyone!
snow conditions
We usually go to Val d’Isere or Zermatt but fancied a change of scenery this season ... we’ve booked the Grande Larniere in Les Gets for our annual boys weekend in 3 weeks.

A couple of Qs - shall we hire a car so that we have the option to drive to say Avoriaz or even Flaine if the current weather pattern continues and conditions are poor locally?

If we go for the transfer option are there any transfer outfits that you PdS experts would recommend?

And finally, any restaurant recommendations for the evening? We do like our food and a nice bottle of red.

Thanks all.
snow report
Skiidy Gonzales very reliable for transfers. You can bus to Morzine / Avoriaz if you need. If you’ve got a car then easier to drive up to Ardent to access higher stuff. Depends how many of you there are so may turn out cheaper that transfers anyway.

Oh, and I doubt there’d be much point driving to Flaine - they’ve got a couple of hundred metres extra altitude but not enough to make a radical difference. Cham is only a bit over an hour if needed though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy