Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
polo wrote:
story of the season....great early start and run up to xmas, a dry and sunny few weeks in early Jan, some decent powder days, then recently some rain-snow events lower down, but the base above 1300-1400m is fully in tact, and will last until April. A few top ups this week, more next week.....what's not to like?

Fresh tracks this morning in Avoriaz

0-EF639-C6-5-F99-4230-BD00-9-C77-AD363-D72-1-105-c

i skied some great powder over xmas in and around Morzine.
I do like it but would have liked it much more had the freezing level been lower and it was generally more colder
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polo wrote:
story of the season....great early start and run up to xmas, a dry and sunny few weeks in early Jan, some decent powder days, then recently some rain-snow events lower down, but the base above 1300-1400m is fully in tact, and will last until April. A few top ups this week, more next week.....what's not to like?

Fresh tracks this morning in Avoriaz

0-EF639-C6-5-F99-4230-BD00-9-C77-AD363-D72-1-105-c

OK, I'll bite. I toured up a Pleney piste the other day because the usual touring is shagged and icy. There is no base on Pleney, anywhere, and the top of Pleney is about 1580m. The only skiing on it (and Les Gets tbh) is man made. It's mid Feb and the front of Mont Chery has no snow below the mud (yep mud) station.
The temperature in the valley was 10C today, in the shade. There is little or no snow on the forecast. You have been talking of top ups for the last week but there's no point having a 5cm top up if it's preceded by a night of heavy rain.
There was more snow below 1800m in November than there currently is. You can sugercoat (to quote everyone's favourite troll) it as much as you want but that is the current situation.
I should add for fairness, that above 1800m the season is average.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zzz, to be fair however, Skinned up la Tour yesterday (just for the waistline you understand) and had a couple of very nice laps of Charamillon in about 23-30cms fresh.

Very pleasant. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Half term week will be fun!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zzz, cheer up mate.....it’s not that bad. Avoriaz and vallee de la manche were lovely yesterday. Every other thread is full of people enjoying the fresh snow, but this thread seems to have an unusual amount of moaners, so am trying to balance it out.

I haven’t been to Pleney since November but would be surprised if there was no base at all. Anyone can look at the LG webcams and make a judgement on the state of the base. The new live Ranfoilly cam at 1380m shows a nice wide angle of the bowl. As for it being mostly artificial? Simply not true. You say this every year but I don’t get the impression you ski much there, so it’s an odd assumption.

Look at all the snow on the sides of pistes, behind barriers etc.....it hasn’t even been cold enough to run the canons this year so it’s pretty much all natural. There is also good coverage down to the village at 1180m on the chavannes side. Obviously front of MC is in the sun all day and always suffers lower down.

As for top ups, it’s a positive that recent storms have ended in snow lower down. And there is more snow in the forecast next week, Monday evening, Wednesday and Friday. FL starting at 1800m on Monday and dropping quickly to 1200m. Will it be enough to make everyone happy? I doubt it. But I’ll be there all week to report live on the misery.

My kid Is doing work experience next week as a ski instructor with ESi - pretty cool initiative in French schools that all 14yr olds do a weeks work experience, in any field of your choice. He doesn’t want to be an instructor but it’s better than being in an office or school. #positivevibes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo, you’re correct it’s not that bad. The skiing in Avoriaz is fine. Plenty of snow.
Pleney and Les Gets are not great though. I have skied Pleney and Les Gets twice since the season opened (you’re correct, I do find it generally dull) and last week, despite what the webcams may show, the snow off the sides of the pistes below 1600m was wafer thin to the point that turning on it resulted in hitting the brown earth.

I’m not in the holiday or real estate business so I have no reason to big up the conditions. I’m just telling it as I see it. As I said further up the thread, until February, conditions were pretty good, considering. Sadly they have taken a turn for the worse but that’s just how it is, but we still have a couple of months of the season left so it will change.

My only advice to anyone coming out next week, head for the main part of the PDS ski area and you’ll have a great time.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 15-02-20 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I’ve found the pistes in Morzine/LG to be much nicer than Avoriaz this winter, a lot less icy, as Avoriaz has been so much busier.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zzz, yep I'm not selling anything either, just good times, but it's going to be crazy busy everywhere the next 3 weeks. Time to go touring

Wife and friends toured MC today, starting at mid station, up over the top, skied down the Chery Nord red and skinned back up. Not bad for her second ever sortie.
This shot at about 1450m on the north side.

SCREENSHOT-2020-02-15-AT-19-43-19

@doddsie, agreed....but it's not for everyone. I do like the longer reds, faster lifts and varied terrain towards Chatel and around Mossettes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Polo - I agree about the terrain and spend 80% of my over there, just think the actual piste quality has been better in Morzine. Having said that the last two days have been really nice over in Avoriaz.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heres my take on Les Gets
Mt Chery the snow was amazing this morning Nord was lovely grippy chalky stuff
south was lovely corn.
toured back up there this afternoon, Nord again in super condition sud lovely slushy bumps.
Yesterday i skied with my daughter in the Chavannes side once again the snow was really nice.
fingers x'd for the 20cm+ forcast over the next few days.
I never waited once for a lift today up Chery
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
on a side note, where would you eat not too far away from Les Gets? obviously me being super organised saying to the wife over the past month "leave it to me duck, ill sort it all out, you dont have to remind me all the time"
so everywhere decent is booked up for the next week at least, don't mind a drive out for somewhere good
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, glad you're enjoying it.....I mean it could be worse right Very Happy, at least no one's hiding from the rain, or getting out a mountain bike, yet.

You have totally missed the boat if you haven't booked any restaurants for the week....I've been moaning for months that we can't even get a table at weekends now in low season weeks.
There are a few places that don't take online bookings etc....sometimes you just have to walk in and ask.
Assuming all the well known places are booked solid, try a few of the smaller places like The Becanerie (jalepeno burger good) or Karibou (Carribean curry style). Also Fruitiere de Pierrieres is fondue heaven and just a little off the beaten track.
There are many more....try Wild Beets for top notch wraps at lunch in centre of town.

I would think Morzine fully booked as well....St Jean D'Aulps has some nice places that you might get lucky in (Alba etc). Also Petite Auberge in Esserts Romands. Apart from those longshots.....self catering is very underrated

Am heading up on Tuesday morning, will be solo all week while my kid works....ahhh the future.....drop me a PM if anyone wants to meet up, or fire away with random questions
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@polo, i dont mind a drive out to a neighbouring non tourist town. Ill do some investigating.
Ill be able to meet up in the afternoons when its my mrs turn to watch the kids and mine to ski. Im busy in the morning with kids ski school running about etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Alba in SJD. His dishes are superb. It’s basically a top quality experience at ‘normal’ prices for the valley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mother hucker wrote:
on a side note, where would you eat not too far away from Les Gets? obviously me being super organised saying to the wife over the past month "leave it to me duck, ill sort it all out, you dont have to remind me all the time"
so everywhere decent is booked up for the next week at least, don't mind a drive out for somewhere good

We ate here on our Chalet peeps day off, was really good, typical mountain stuff and good value. They fed 12 of us including kids no problem. So might be worth a shot if you don't mind a bit of a drive.
latest report
Sorry, now with link!!! http://www.hotel-montrond.com/
snow report
@Mother hucker, we occasionally stopped for lunch at the place mentioned above. And thinking on a bit when we lived in Les Gets we would drive to either the Bout du Lac or Verdoyant on the lake at Montriond.
snow conditions
This could be a good season for 'end of season mega-dump' gamblers, i.e. book penultimate or last week of season accom. early while prices are good, and then enjoy a surprise metre-plus dump of fresh snow.

If you're lucky...
snow report
Arriving in Avoriaz on 29/02 for the week, what sites are recommended for snow forecasts? Found j2ski which looks promising - https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Avoriaz_snow.html

Also would love to hear recommendations for places to eat on the mountain in the PDS. Been coming to Avoriaz for perhaps 20 years but always seem to end up at the same spots so keen to try some new plat du jours!

Wouldn't mind visiting Bec Jaune Brewery down in Morzine as well one afternoon/evening. Looking online though it doesn't seem to open until 16:00 each day, how difficult would it be to get from Morzine back up to Avoriaz later in the evening after some food and drinks. Is there a bus route back up to the carpark in Avoriaz?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
@topherchris, there is a handy search function at the top of the page ... although you would have to know to search on "Chatel weather forecast" to find what I was looking for ...

Google Chatelsnowreport as I think the site has changed name/url - apparently run by a local weatherman so human input of local knowledge. Probably geographically closest resource.

Chamonix Météo similarly human inputed, was the main resource for a long time for Cham, PdS, GM, etc.

MeteoFrance still appear to have a forecasting station in Chamonix and their site's pretty good.

Trendwatching, I like meteoblue.
snow report
@topherchris, we had a nice fondue at Chez Gaby in Champoussin. There's even a bit of a cheese museum within the restaurant to check out.
snow conditions
@topherchris

My fave forecast sites:

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Avoriaz/6day/mid

https://www.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/station-montagne-214/previsions-meteo-avoriaz-aujourdhui

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/chablais/opp01

HTH
SK
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@topherchris, there is a handy search function at the top of the page ... although you would have to know to search on "Chatel weather forecast" to find what I was looking for ...

Google Chatelsnowreport as I think the site has changed name/url - apparently run by a local weatherman so human input of local knowledge. Probably geographically closest resource.

Chamonix Météo similarly human inputed, was the main resource for a long time for Cham, PdS, GM, etc.

MeteoFrance still appear to have a forecasting station in Chamonix and their site's pretty good.

Trendwatching, I like meteoblue.

chatelsnowreport is very good and if you donate a modest amount you will be added to their private Whatsapp group for regular resorts especially leading up to precip events. Chez Crepy in Plane Dranse is a top lunch spot but you will need to book by calling outside of lunch hours.
snow conditions
@simonopt, I must say I find snowforecast a bit crap. Over 15 years of finding it a bit crap!

Meteofrance as you would hope are good.
latest report
This is quite handy page forecasting short term snow accumulations hidden deep in the Meteo Ski site:

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/chatel/74390

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/avoriaz/74110
snow conditions
5cms or so Monday night really improve Les Gets. Looks like there might be some more overnight too. Snowing right now in town!

Prior to that it was very patchy low down, least snow I've seen in 3 years at half term.

Up top was ok for family skiing but very poor towards the bottom. The mums downloaded!
latest report
First pic is yesterday front right of mont chery (south facing). Pretty rough exit thru slippery mud forest but worth it. More like 10cm fell at 1600

Second is live, 5cm+ so far of light fluffy goodness, should end up with another 10cm at 1200

latest report
Feels like that up in the bowl, lovely conditions and really quiet, no lift queues at all
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dazzle109, good to hear, was wondering how many would be out there in the low viz.

I was a proper tourist last night watching the ESF ski team display. Pretty good show, free vin chaud nice touch. Normally on every Monday evening, though ydays was moved to Tues due to weather.

Must have been a few thousand people watching, seemed 50/50 French and English

Right better stop typing and get out there
latest report
Staying in Les Crosets this week, and after Monday evening’s dump of snow followed by a beautiful Tuesday, it has been snowing for hours today so lots of fun in the powder this morning, albeit in poor viz. At least there were no half term lift queues

The weather forecast looks great for the rest of the week
latest report
Whitters wrote:

The weather forecast looks great for the rest of the week

That depends on your point of view! Toofy Grin

I’m not sure 13C in the shade at the weekend is going to do the snow many favours, however, lunch beers on a sunny terrace is defo in order.

Have fun.
snow conditions
dazzle109 wrote:
Feels like that up in the bowl, lovely conditions and really quiet, no lift queues at all
While the Paradiski thread is all about queues - I guess by the time we're back on Yeti and Creux in a week the snow will have melt and local kids will add to the crowds.

Although Paris hols finish Friday so here's to hope.
snow report
The wife and i booked in to a freeride ESF group on monday in Les Gets. We've skied great snow everyday in the trees and some good snow in the freeride zone. Yesterday was very super in the trees on Mt Chery, north south and east faces.
We were powder lapping all day on Mt Chery with no lift lines
snow conditions
@Mother hucker,

I've been away for a few days. How much had fallen?
latest report
Prob 10cms or so. I'm no expert at estimating
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
@Mother hucker,

I've been away for a few days. How much had fallen?

20cms, we've skied today off Le Ranfoilly with the wind loading it on the north east side there was 40cm it was amazing dropping in from the couloirs.
south west face of the chamossiere was great as well,
snow conditions
Yep my kid reckoned 40cm on chamossiere yday morning, but more like 25cm in the bowl. Great quality snow but deteriorating quickly in the sun today.

Skinned up the south face of Roc d’enfer from Chery Nord today with a mate. First time, stunning scenery and nice fresh tracks. Must have been 20-30 people up there who all knew each other. Spotted a herd of Chamois charging down the north side steeps
snow report
@polo, that will be Replan. I must have been up it half a dozen times last season. Not once this year Sad
A great descent. Did you go down to Foron?
snow conditions
Pointe de Ratti I believe. We just headed up past Tapiaz restaurant from Ecrenaz, around Char de Quais and stayed right, following a well tracked route up to 1900m ridge.

There was a fence at the top and could see 5-6 large black creatures sliding down in the distance

I’ll do some photos or vid tomorrow, didn’t manage to get the camera out quick enough though and they were quite far away, but yeah a great trip and descent back to MC

Where is Foron?
snow report
Yes the well trodden Col Ratti. Always spectacular.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy