Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Mother hucker wrote:
on the ground locals, are the peaks white
up in Avoriaz yet?

I see snow to below Avoriaz, a dusting on Super-Morzine and snow to the bottom of the Chery Est bowl. Nothing on the top of Pleney. Chucking down rain now though, so might be only above Avoriaz by day's end.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cross posting from the lessons group for more local knowledge:

We're doing a Wednesday to Wednesday holiday (arriving 25th March).

Does anyone know a ski school in Avoriaz that would accept my kids into group lessons for Thurs/Fri and (Sun) Mon/Tues?

So far the ones I've asked have all said no, and have offered private lessons, which are no good because of cost but also because they're at very different levels.

8y/o has done four weeks of ski and can comfortably ski blues, loves the fun-parks, and can carefully ski reds and easier blacks.

6y/o, has done two weeks of ski but mostly in the kindergarten, and can only manage greens.

​Both are fine on button and chair lifts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could book them into ESF group lessons for Sun / Mon / Tue, as group lessons begin on Sunday.
You will only find private lessons on Saturday, as it's changeover day so there will be no groups around.
That just leaves Thursday & Friday.
Sam from AASS https://www.avoriazalpineskischool.com/our-team or Angelique from Evo 2 https://avoriaz.evolution2.com/en/information/our-team/ can probably hook you up some private lessons for those days, but I think it's pretty normal that you can't join group lessons on day 5 or day 6.

In the same way that the film Jaws is not about a shark, Children Group ski lessons are not about learning to ski.
They are about bonding with the other people in the class, getting to know the instructor and vice versa, a collective sense of camaraderie, the shared experience of that first drop onto the wall, the first blue kicker you hit in the park, laughing together at being outside your comfort zone, learning how to ski safely as a group, looking out for one another, learning group dynamics without knowing your learning it, learning piste & park etiquette, maybe learning a few words in a different language, and mostly having fun.
If you can improve your skiing a bit too, then that's a bonus.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First snow down to 1200m last night, Avoriaz higher up looks pretty good
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still snowing now @ 1250m
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know it's unrealistic to get even the littlest bit excited about this but I can't help it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This was the scene at midday, just under 1700m looking towards Chamossiere.

IMG-7977

10-15cm wet snow down to 1500m, but nice to get the first slide in.

Screenshot-2019-11-06-at-19-27-14

Autumnal drive along the Route des Grands Alps, the river is noticeably different to previous early seasons.....much deeper this year

Screenshot-2019-11-06-at-19-30-40
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo, do you ski tour polo? the beauty of low alpine meadows no sharks and dont need to much snow to fill it all in
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mother hucker, not really, done a few years of snow-shoeing up carrying a board, but we mostly wander around the well known areas out of season (Les Gets, Avoriaz, Hirmentaz, Grand Massif etc). I much prefer pre-season to spring.

Finally got a splitboard though this week, so looking forward to using it to go further / mellow ski tour I guess. Didn't want to take it up yesterday in case it got dirty Very Happy

And yes 10-15cm is enough on grass with an old board...quality more important than depth of course. I know of a good guide in the area that a mate uses regularly if anyone wants a contact.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got up to Ranfoilly with the weekend gang today. Nice 40cm soft snow at 1800m. Did 3 runs into the bowl, but the best snow per vertical climb is under the Nauchet lift.

Screenshot-2019-11-10-at-16-47-52
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Damn, that looks nice!
We met a few guys skinning up Côté 2000 (on Megève) on Saturday morning, we'll probably head to Les Gets next weekend in advance of the opening weekend.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@patrick!, do you know if they are going to open weekends soon? Website says from 23rd Nov snow depending....but I don't think I've ever seen them actually open that early.

Re. this weekend, no doubt the lower parts of the bowl will have deteriorated, as it hasn't snowed since last thursday. I liked the look of Chamossiere, but it's a much longer hike in. I think if we get a good 10+cm on thurs/fri the bowl will be fine. My group are thinking of going to Avoriaz or Vallee de la Manche on sunday in case there isn't much fresh snow....but freeze levels at least staying around 1000m until the 17th
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today's updated forecast for this week is snow in the plain (600m) so, assuming we get the wheels switched, we'll head to Chavannes !
The official pre opening date is indeed the 23rd.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow blowers were running this morning on the Les Gets Front de Neige webcam
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timc, they were running on Chavannes last weekend too. Not much fun to slide over, so anyone up there give the cannons a wide berth.
Massive new reservoir built into the bowl side of Perrieres lift.

Hope the mid term forecast is wrong....looking a lot warmer from about the 19th
latest report
Woke to find 10cm of fresh snow overnight @1250m
snow conditions
Nice cold light snow today, probably 15cm fell at 1700m. Few more pics below. Looks like another useful top up on Sun/Mon, models ranging from 5-20cm

Screenshot-2019-11-15-at-13-16-05

https://i.ibb.co/rHs2v2k/Screenshot-2019-11-15-at-13-14-19.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/yWg9NmQ/IMG-8081.jpg
snow report
Nice pooch.

More snow than I was expecting. Going to see for myself tomorrow. Thanks for all your input on the wx thread.
ski holidays
@zzz, you not been up yet? snowHead ..... she's an 8yr old am-staff, easily covers 2-3 times the ground that I do, but then sleeps all day.

Not been watching the weather that obsessively recently, but amazing how long this southerly pattern has gone on for..... looks like the low (mid next week) parks itself too far west, so worth making the most of the next 4-5 days, but still time for it to correct further east, like so many recently
ski holidays
short haired. Good for the snow.

I’ve been away...Will report back later
snow conditions
Looking nice earlier today at the top of SJA. They had the new snow making installation working. Walked over and down to Graydon bowl during the summer and though you can't see it here the most important snow making is on the red down into that area. Looked a really big job to push this up to the top and good to see the resort backing itself.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/vallee-d-aulps/roc-d-enfer

Looking forward to getting to our apartment over new year and half-term. Especially excited getting our young daughters around their first circuit round the Roc. Reckon they can manage the gnarly button on the back of the circuit just about.

Snow gods are smiling for now, but ......
snow report
Avoriaz seems to be ready to go. Lots of the pistes around Arare, Chavenette, Fornet etc are already bashed. A combo of natural and man made snow on piste. The off piste was skiing surprisingly well considering we haven’t had a huge amount of snow. Can’t talk for the lower skiing.

Of course we have strong fohn forecast over the weekend so all bets may be off.
latest report
Les Crosets and Champery will be open this weekend.
https://www.skipass-pds-ch.ch/en/
It will be an opportunity to test out how rigidly they are enforcing the rule about starting your pass in the same country as where you bought it.
I bought it from the Chatel website, so wondered how it would work.
I called the the Swiss Portes Du Soleil number to ask if it would be ok and the nice lady said "Bien sur !" Smile
snow conditions
Still no news for Les Gets. We might switch to CH then, never tried Champery or Crosets! (Or simply head to Argentière for a safer bet...)
latest report
@patrick!, Argentiere opening albeit limited this weekend.
snow report
patrick! wrote:
Still no news for Les Gets. We might switch to CH then, never tried Champery or Crosets! (Or simply head to Argentière for a safer bet...)

It's nice skiing round there, Champéry that is. Also lift is straight to 2000mtrs in one hit from village centre, so good chance of favourable conditions at that altitude right out the top of cable car. Then on up to the Swiss wall Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi All,

We are thinking of Avoriaz 1800 for the 18th December. But can't figure out the lift situation. Will the lifts still only be open partially? The snow looks so good this year.

Thanks
Blueforests
snow report
@blueforests, Latest information here https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/ski-lift-opening.html updated regularly.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@timc Thanks! Looks like everything should be opening on the 13th December. Looking good!
snow conditions
@ski3, Alas I do not think the Wall will be in-bounds this weekend.
From my understanding of what will be open, it will be the area I have marked with a green boundary:

...but this means you could go all the way down to Ardent Smile
ski holidays
The Frontalière is calling. Needs two cars though...
snow report
This isn't snow related, but is anyone planning to take advantage of the Black Friday offers?

- 2 for 1 on PdS day passes (both passes must be used on the same day)
- 6 day pass for the price of a 5 day pass

I was wondering if you can buy more than one pair of PdS day passes in this offer? I think they had the same offer last year. My partner and I will be spending three, non-consecutive days there in January so it would be great if we could get all of the days at 2 for 1.

Secondly, do you need to start your skiing day at the resort that the PdS day passes were purchased through?
snow conditions
@denfinella, cheers, we will be! I don’t see why there would be a limit? Presumably if you need to you can nominate your starting station?
ski holidays
@under a new name, thanks. Yes, hopefully no limit. It begs the question - if you're going for a full week (and there are two of you), why not buy 6/7/8 pairs of single day passes all at 2 for 1?

Yes, if necessary we will select our starting station. The disadvantage of that is that you also have to specify the date, so we'll be tied to starting from wherever we've nominated regardless of the weather on that day. We're based in Abondance and will have a car, so will probably start at La Chapelle for one day, Chatel / Linga for another, and perhaps even Morgins for the third day.
snow report
I got very excited by this black friday 2-4-1 deal, until I read it's January dates only.
I have my janauary passes already purchased! Damn it!
snow conditions
Unfortunately the high winds on Saturday brought down some tress across the road, which meant that Champéry was inaccessible by car Saturday morning.
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
Les Crosets and Champery will be open this weekend.
https://www.skipass-pds-ch.ch/en/
It will be an opportunity to test out how rigidly they are enforcing the rule about starting your pass in the same country as where you bought it.
I bought it from the Chatel website, so wondered how it would work.
I called the the Swiss Portes Du Soleil number to ask if it would be ok and the nice lady said "Bien sur !" Smile

I skied in Les Crosets on Sunday using a season pass bought in Châtel, without any issues.
snow conditions
Quote:

This isn't snow related, but is anyone planning to take advantage of the Black Friday offers?

Don't know about Black Friday deals, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that booking 4 or more passes at once seems to get you a group discount. Was trying to buy passes online before the early purchase discount expired on the 15th, added the 4th person, and the price for 7 days, which was 321 euros full, 305 with early discount, went down to 274 euros! And if i type the same details in today, it still gives the same 274, so not an early price. I really thought I'd seen all the possible deals on the website before buying, but I had missed that one. Better not mention it to the 3 people in our group who bought as a 3...!
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:

I was wondering if you can buy more than one pair of PdS day passes in this offer? I think they had the same offer last year. My partner and I will be spending three, non-consecutive days there in January so it would be great if we could get all of the days at 2 for 1.

Secondly, do you need to start your skiing day at the resort that the PdS day passes were purchased through?

@denfinella do you have a link to the Black Friday offers? I’m heading to Les Gets for a weekend in Jan, so the 2-4-1 is perfect for me.
snow report
@Roscoe, Google "Portes du Soleil Black Friday" and you'll find it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy