Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Getting pretty excited after WFH today consisted of ski tuning and packing. Also looking forward to smugness of lunch time flight from Southampton on Sunday.
My colleague has a 6:05am out of gatwick Laughing

How has the new snow held up with the rain yesterday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm out for a week from tomorrow so have been doing the usual close monitoring of the forecasts etc

This forecast looks great with Mon pm onwards looking very promising https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Morzine/6day/mid

This forecast isn't so nice with more rain early on, but still not disastrous https://www.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville-214507/previsions-meteo-morzine-aujourdhui

Either way, Thu and Fri could be cracking but a lot can change between now and then....

What do you locals reckon?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@simonopt, yes Thursday and Friday should be excellent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunday looks awful. Day to watch the rugby. Monday looks dry but the snow will be very soft. Tuesday and Wednesday look snowy and Thursday and Friday look great.

HTH.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The forecast rain has arrived in the Portes du Soleil. 12°C at 850m on the car thermometer a couple of miles down the valley from Abondance, though back down to 8°C in Abondance itself.

Rock hard pistes this morning after overnight freeze, which is better than the porridge of yesterday!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having lunch in Lindarets and it’s properly raining hard. Very warm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sat AM was pretty nice. Soft snow, not busy, a few scattered patches of blue sky.
It started raining in Avoriaz around 1 PM so we called it a day, it has not stopped raining since.
I am at 1250m, but I suspect it's rain higher up too, as its pretty mild.
Looks like a mini cold snap starting tomorrow night.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it's certainly raining in St Jean D'Aulps. Don't do skiing in the rain. Went for a nice walk up the river instead. Tue onwards still looking rather promising.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just bailed on long weekend . Rained hard in Morzine from 1 pm sat, slight respite last night but stair rods this am so decided to cut losses and swap flight
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s raining on top of Cornebois. We braved it this morning and had some good skiing and been holed up in Chez Crepy for 2 hours. Group seems to be enjoying themselves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ozboy, very brave.
Biblical rain in Morzine at the moment. Been raining for over 24 hours. Pleney turning green.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, we are having a lot of fun so can’t really complain. Lots of wee wee taking of our friends who bought the leaky €20 ponchos.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No rain today but most lots closed in Chatel other than the bottom lifts at PLJ to Plane Dranse. Quite a few big wet avalanches around Linga area can be seen from town including one that has breached the piste under L’Echo Alpin. Tomorrow not looking any better - am guessing blizzards and closed lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, the slide is big enough to see on the webcam. Thought it was bad last week Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linga bubble now open and we are enjoying uncrowned laps and will probably head to the windmill restaurant to see out the afternoon.
snow report
I’m heading to Morzine for the first time on Friday. Will be skiing Sat 8, Sun 9, Mon 10.
Myself and 12 yr old boy.... intermediate skiers, on piste only. We’ve skied in two other resorts, but still a bit inexperienced.

Just seeing more green grass than snow in the webcam at the bottom lift and it looks grim.

With moderate snow forecast for tomorrow and the snow canons on for the rest of time, do you expect that the pistes will be in decent shape for the weekend?... at least for for the kind of skiing we’ll be in to?

Any advice/ encouragement would be appreciated!

I cant change my dates or flights, but had started to consider looking for a different resort at higher altitude (I would lose Morzine hotel deposit though).
Maybe panicking a bit too soon .... will probably stick to the plan and hope for the best
latest report
@evropa, there is a lot of snow up high and good blues. Nothing to worry about and you will enjoy your stay.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, thanks for the feedback
ski holidays
@evropa, I skied in La Grande Terche this afternoon. Down the valley from Morzine but similar altitude (in fact lower at the top).

I was really impressed with the amount of snow and also it's condition following yesterday's monsoon. The snow was 'grippy', pretty forgiving and enjoyable to ski on. There were some small patches in places but they were few and far between plus very easy to avoid. I've seen conditions a lot lot worse.

Add to this the top-up we're forecast to have over the next 48 hours, I'd say you could be in for a very good weekend.

According to this forecast, you're in for some sun and lowish air temps too https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Morzine/6day/mid

Planning to ski in Les Gets tomorrow and will report back.
snow report
Nice week of skiing PdS, only missed out on Sat afternoon and Sunday. Chatel / Morgins / Torgon great fun in the powder on Thursday, then Friday soft snow around Arare/Lac, Fornet, Mossettes, Crosets. Had a great lunch at Refuge de Brochaux (recommend the pepper sauce steak), so we went back again yesterday.

Quite a few areas closed on Monday due to the sliding slabs and high winds. Tried to get over to Plan Dranse but Rochassons lift was shut, so a lot of people were walking back up the piste towards Avoriaz when we arrived at top of Chaux Fleurie. Here's a shot of a slab that closed the piste under Grands Combes.

SCREENSHOT-2020-02-04-AT-14-12-07

Skied the last few hours yesterday in LG....Chamossiere was empty as the sun went down. Reckon the snow pack here at 1400m is as good as anywhere in PdS at similar altitude. Been snowing again since 8am
ski holidays
TBH pretty disappointed in the amount of snow that has fallen. It will serve to freshen up the icy pistes but little else.
ski holidays
@zzz Over the magical 12inches on my window sill here in Ardent. snowHead snowHead snowHead
Put the skis in for a rewax only €12 as my home job obvs wasnt v good ( i blame the new wax) after tbh blasted past on the flat today rolling eyes
But given the dump i might see about renting some wide(r) boys tomorrow. Puzzled

Any tips on where we'll have most fun when its deep?!?

We've covered all of avoriaz now (2 days in) but had a couple of child issues ( one too small for group skiing school Crying or Very sad and the youner spiking a 39°c temp spoo ) and the chatel link has been closed?

Looking for some new terrain as its just tbh and me tomorrow. snowHead snowHead

Im in a Grey helmet green jacket, blue rucksack and royal blue pants; she is wearing a white helmet, purple jacket with fur lined hood and black pants

Also we ate at Mamos Cafe in Lindarets, good French affair and reasonable prices if on the small side
snow report
@xanderajma,
Well, the snow is pretty light and 30cm is not really deep so if you ski anything steep you will be through to the icy sub layer. I would probably head towards Plain Dranse and ski around between the pistes to start with. You could continue on towards the Tete du Linga and take the traverse to skiers right and ski Combe de la Leche, coming out at the drag lift rather than the bottom.
Alternatively, head towards Champoussin via Les Crosets. The off piste is there to see from the lifts and less skied than the French side. My only concern would be the lack of base as it’s largely south facing, so you may end up hitting the grass (or worse) in places.

Wherever you go it will be fun and the best day of the week.

Avi risk is two below 2200m so not bad.

Hope that helps
ski holidays
The Satellite run is probably worth a punt today for making fresh tracks.
Also from Chaux Fleurie, to the right of the lift on the way up is normally good after a dump.
The entrance to Donkeys will probably be fenced off as Avi risk of snow from above, but Hidden Valley ought to be accessible from the Combes lift, and as it has a shallow gradient is normally low risk.
latest report
You guys got 30cms in town? Hmmmm, confirms our chat @zzz, if so.

I’m looking at 10-15cms on my drive.
snow conditions
There is only around 5-10 cms settled on our balcony in Chatel at 1270m.
latest report
@Ozboy, that sounds more like it. Looking at the cams it looks like 20-25cms upstairs.
latest report
@Ozboy, that sounds more like it. Looking at the cams it looks like 20-25cms upstairs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a good 20cm here at 1250m
ski holidays
@under a new name, Chatelweb "officially" measured a total of 16cm from this storm in Chatel at just under 1200 metres.
snow conditions
@denfinella, so about what we got then.
snow conditions
@under a new name, max 20cm in town.

Been skiing/touring. Hard not to hit the bottom of whatever we were on. Below 1500m there is now only a minimal base off piste. Above 1500m it’s ice below the new snow. A nice day’s skiing but still a disappointing snowfall.
snow conditions
@zzz, disappointing relative to what? the forecasts seemed ok....obviously we'd all like 40-50cm every week, but sometimes 5cm can make a nice difference. Surely all snow is "helpful"?
Off piste looked amazing today, but kept hitting the ice below, or finding just ice along exposed areas where all the light snow that fell just blew away. Did a few hours around Chery Nord....really soft snow, just needed another 10cm or so.

Still, makes everything look better

IMG-8263

IMG-8259
snow report
@polo,
Most of the forecasts were suggesting it would be a major dump originally. Perhaps I misread them.
snow report
@zzz, the GFS ones reduced as time approached.....and within 2-3 days I think they were showing 20-25cm....though I wasn't paying much attention last week
ski holidays
@zzz, thanks for advice. I'd consider 30cms a good dump? Certain more than just a top up. It's made a world of difference after the rain on Saturday/Sunday

We ended up chatel way and got fresh tracks down the face back under Ch. Flaune lift line then skied across and got soone good in between piste runs.
Hit the swiss wall today and finished off coming home down from Pointe des Mossettes, which was great apart from a couple of patchy bits at the top where its been blown off. Also hard green runs with the toddler in the morning snowHead Toofy Grin snowHead

Last day tomorrow !?!
latest report
Hell’s teeth last Sunday was grim. Never been so wet. Poured water out of my gloves after giving up at 3pm. Still, we had a good long weekend despite the weather!
latest report
its looking good for our return next friday.
What i am worried about is April.
We need some consistant cold weather and precip.
latest report
@Mother hucker, there is lots of snow above 1500m which has been well consolidated by the rain etc. I don’t think there will be an issue unless there is a major foehn event or long warm spell. We will probably see a few more medium/big snow events and snow making to keep things ticking along. We are there for 2 weeks at Easter and not worried - yet.
snow report
It's going to take more than a few days of fôhn to melt the boiler plate that lies beneath. You'll be fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy