Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
WindOfChange wrote:
Many of the lifts linking the PdS resorts might be closed today (due to the high winds), but in resort skiing should continue.
It's snowing lightly at 1250m now, but very windy.

No signs of snow on our balcony cam in Chatel and 1270m. Yes lots of lift closures in Espace Liberte. Here is a link for the Live status status page which can be booked marked:

https://app.infonet-online.fr/pdf/espaceliberte.pdf

Also be aware avalanche level 4 in place on Swiss side of PDS today.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty disappointing start in Gryon (1114m). There's a bit of snow in the air but nothing at village level and nothing for at least several hundred metres above. Plus, in the entire Villars/Gryon/Les Diablerets area, the only operating lifts are the tram up to Bretaye and 4 draglifts once you get there.

Wind due to decrease pm; avalanche risk 3.

edit: ooops, meant to post this in a different thread, but it's just across the valley.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 28-01-20 10:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone on the ground at chatel.PDS app showing most lifts shut. Debating whether it's worth a drive. Snowing in Evian and lake Geneva is rough enough to surf on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m visiting Morzine at the end of Feb and looking to have my first go at off piste. I couldn’t find anything in the search but if there is an existing thread please do point me there.

Any recommendations for a ski school or guide? I’ve seen two day, two hour introductory courses for €150 or so. Any experience of these? Would double the price for a one day private lesson be better use of time and money?

I’ve never used safety equipment so keen to spend some time on this as well as off piste technique. I’m fairly confident tackling most on piste runs and in most conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BergenBergen wrote:
Anyone on the ground at chatel.PDS app showing most lifts shut. Debating whether it's worth a drive. Snowing in Evian and lake Geneva is rough enough to surf on.

I am not there but looking at our balcony webcam and the valley looks quite grim and there is a wet dusting. Only lifts open are Super Chatel and the drags around there, Chalet Neuf, Linga Bubble and the bottom chairs and PLJ. Probably better day for surfing on the lake!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BergenBergen, Seriously ???
Stay indoors by your fire, it's disgusting out there.
Very little open, and up here the wind is blowing the snow sideways.
I had to go out earlier with the dog, and even he didn't like it Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WindOfChange, walking the 10 feet from the car to the door convinced me you are right. First time I buy passes in advance and this happens. They were half price so I'm evens at the moment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skipig wrote:
I’m visiting Morzine at the end of Feb and looking to have my first go at off piste. I couldn’t find anything in the search but if there is an existing thread please do point me there.

Any recommendations for a ski school or guide? I’ve seen two day, two hour introductory courses for €150 or so. Any experience of these? Would double the price for a one day private lesson be better use of time and money?

I’ve never used safety equipment so keen to spend some time on this as well as off piste technique. I’m fairly confident tackling most on piste runs and in most conditions.

Do a day with Simon Hale, he really knows his stuff - http://www.simonhaleguiding.com/

Hope that helps
SK
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammering it down in LG town now, all in line with the forecasts (WRF below also shows the warm up on Thursday)....snowline and winds dropping this afternoon. Over 90% of LG lifts running apparently (top right corner)....so am on my way

SCREENSHOT-2020-01-28-AT-11-18-59

https://www.lesgets.com/envie-de/glisse/pistes-et-remontees.html

http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions-neige-wrf/27685/les_gets.htm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Big thanks out to Les Get Reservations team and ESF.

We had booked ESF Prestige lessons for my son but due to his friend booking late they couldn't get lessons and so my son wasn't keen to go.

The reservations team have refunded the money and still given us an early bird discount on the lift pass, neither of which they needed to do.

Great service.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in PdS and went over to Les gets this morning. Vis is poor, high winds, I'm told a lot of lifts in Avoriaz are closed because of that. That's the bad news, the good news is that amongst the thunder and lightning, it's dumping down currently. Wet snow at village level but anything higher is good fun.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What’s Folie in Avoroaz like ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Closed.

Basically Prodains gondola/piste open, everything else closed. Some lovely conditions to be found off piste though - if you know where to look (or the benefit of a great guide).

Called it a day about an hour ago when we had to cross country ski DOWN the first part of the Prodains run as the wind was 'bracing' and coming straight up.

Big snow coming down in the middle of Morzine ATM. Question is will this the through tomorrow...?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About 14 cm of snow now, wicked storm about 11.30 am, caught us half way down Rhodos, thunder and a howling gale, all lifts shut for a while, snow all day, should be fun next couple of days with less wind
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Waited to see how today would develop before committing, Morzine/les gets from 12ish till close of lifts proved to be a very good decision. quiet and lots and lots fell in that period, and the winds calmed down. first proper powder day of the season, its taken a while.
snow conditions
Heading to Morzine at the end of Feb, any restaurant recommendations in the town would he appreciated.
snow report
pmercer wrote:
Heading to Morzine at the end of Feb, any restaurant recommendations in the town would he appreciated.

l'etale, la flamme, le chaudanne
snow report
We ate in l'Etale last weekend. The crab and avocado starter is good but my chicken pad thai was uninspiring.
ski holidays
@under a new name, as was the rest of the meal.
@pmercer, I wouldn’t bother with L’Etale. I keep giving it just one more go and keep coming away disappointed.
latest report
Quote:

@pmercer.... La Dez'Alp - by Intersport. Always enjoyed it - and it was up to scratch last week. Le Grillon on the Route de la Plagne just round the corner from the tourist office is another one. Good family place.
snow conditions
Bec Jaune has by far the best (non french) food in Morzine.

Interesting to hear L'Etale still can't get pad thai right. Friends got that a few years ago and it was inedible

Places I'd recommend (spend 3-4 weeks a year in Morzine every year for the past 10 years)

La Grange
La Chamade
La Ferme De La Frutiere
La Chaudanne
La Rotonde

Le Colibri would definitely be on the list if it hadn't burned down Sad
snow report
Interesting that people’s recommendations are basically the same as mine, having spent more time than I care to admit in Morzine & Avoriaz.

La Grange always top of the list; to the extent that they offered to cook me something off the menu because I had my indecisive head on.

I’d add La Flamme next to the Super M bubble and Le Clin D’Oeil to the list.

La Chamade has never seemed to offer much value, trades on Morzine’s “celebrity” chef’s name and I’ve eaten elsewhere just as well for €€€ less.

Not in PdS at the mo, it’s been dumping down in La Thuile and we’re enjoying Italian powder (and prices!) €1 for a coffee
ski holidays
is it still snowing? how low is/was the snow line Les Gets and Morzine?
snow report
Contrary to some posts, we really enjoyed our meal at L'Etale on Saturday, more so than Le Grillon where we ate on Wednesday evening.

That said, Le Grillon wasn't a bad meal by any stretches of imagination.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll get googling the menus and book a few of them.
snow report
@Mother hucker,
The snow line fell to just below 1000m. About 30cm fell in Morzine town over the two days. I haven’t skied on the Les Gets/Pleney side at all this season so I can’t really comment but I would think it’s much improved.
The snow in Linderets and Plain Dranse was excellent yesterday. Deep enough off piste to make it a go anywhere sort of powder day.
snow report
swskier wrote:
Contrary to some posts, we really enjoyed our meal at L'Etale on Saturday.

same here, we ate sevearl times over xmas and new year at L'Etale it was good. Up the mountain we ate at le Vaffieu. That was very good.

Anyone have any reccomadions for eating out in Les Gets? Im guessing i should be booking now for in 2 weeks time
snow report
I like the FarmHouse https://www.thefarmhouse.co.uk/restaurant.php for the food and format,
La Grange https://lagrangemorzine.com/en/home for good quality well priced food.

And I have yet to have bad meal at l'étale: https://www.etale-morzine.com/en/our-menu/dishes/ and it's great value.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Found master plan for lift rejuvenation for the Swiss side of the PDS while poking around the Remontee Mechanique forum. It seems they recongnise the French side is often over crowded and an upgrade and redesign in lifts, pistes and snowmaking is essential to lure skiers to there side. This will only be possible once they merge, which was voted against recently but up for re-vote soon, which will enable them to tap into regional development funding and polling of costs (Morgins is bust while Champery is doing better). No time scales listed. The highlights for me are:

- replacing 5 x TKs in the Chalet Neuf sector with two TSD going up in different direction to Tour Du Don and Culet.

- a peak to peak cable car linking Culet (top of Chalet Neuf) to the top of La Foilleuse in Morgins and abandonment or the sth facing Corbeau sector.

- Replacing the long drags at Torgon with a single TSD.

The fans of drags and quiet sectors will not be happy but reduced operating costs (ie Labour) and greater revenue is essential for overall long term sustainability.

http://www.apcach.ch/admin/pdf/PdS_Planification_CH.03.08.2019.pdf
snow report
Seems like Le Corbeau will go the same way as La Jorette in Torgon.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/KVUcnGVkpEU

Not sure if this has been on here before, but a mate was telling me about this as we were heading back to Avoriaz the other day down this piste.
latest report
Ok so forecast says rain right through the night in Les gets and clear by 7am. So people who know what are conditions likely to be like?
snow report
@MidoGrey, I'm going for either icy (if it freezes) or sticky (if it doesn't). But the rain isn't forecast to be that heavy so it might not be that bad.

Possible fresh snow at the top of Avoriaz...
snow report
@Ozboy, That's really interesting - thanks.

I can see the commercial sense of that but - as fan of both poma lifts and quiet sectors - I'll be sad to see the changes.

I do agree with abandonment of the Corbeau sector as even when we were there a couple of weeks ago in -10c temperatures that face just soaks up so much sun if was almost T-shirt conditions
snow report
@Ozboy, I’m also told - but can’t vouch for this - that PDS feel that Super Chatel / Chalet Neuf is under utilised but also see their expansion as a way of reducing the traffic that heads out to Linga / PLJ every morning.
latest report
@Matt1959, I think what you are saying is an absolute certainty. During xmas week there were reports of one hour queues to board the Linga bubble at 9:45am while I was able to walk straight onto the chair at Petit Chatel with not a single person waiting in the lift area and there were spaces in the small under cover car park.

@red 27, It makes complete sense to replace 5 nostalgic (ie old) drags (and min 10 headcount to operate) with 2 TDS chairs which probably need only 6 people to attend the lifts. The Chalet Neuf basin(?) will also benefit greatly from snow making including the steep runs off the new Morclan.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, Yup, parked directly outside Petit Chatel lift in early Jan.

The only queue I saw around New Year was the Tour de Don drag, which I thought was going to be about 20 mins. That is a bottleneck for the La Chapelle D’Abondance / Petit Chatel access to Chalet Neuf.
latest report
@Matt1959, Agreed and I have stood at that lift many times wondering why such a key connecting lift has not been upgraded as it brings skiers entering into PDS from Petit Chatel and Torgon.
latest report
The Chalet Neuf area is a bit of a hidden gem... The piste map doesn't manage to capture its scope and so it's 'neglected'
snow report
Snow conditions - like warm April 3pm snow, just from first lift ☹️
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy