Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for replies. Its central Les Gets so first stop en route really.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rebelbrowser,

I think you’ll be ok but if it is snowing, and the forecast still seems to be in flux, they will not let you up the road from Taninges to Les Gets without chains or a 4x4 with winter tyres.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there is snow, just please oh please don't attempt the Les Gets climb from Taninges without equipment (winter tyres, "socks" or chains). Although from Grenoble chances are you'll be on the motorway via Cluses so will hit the Col de Châtillon before - that climb has space to fit the chains
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rebelbrowser, Are you going for a week - if so keep in mind there is potentially another snow event on the horizon back end of next week. As per @patrick!, be prepared - we saw lots of issues in Chatel during Christmas week when it snowed heavily for a brief period one morning and cars on summer tyres, already in resort, were struggling to get anywhere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have spare ticket to see Marcus Brigstocke & Rachel Parris live at the Les Gets Comedy festival on Tuesday 21st of Jan at 21h00.
Face value is EUR25, but PM me with a reasonable offer if anyone is interested.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
patrick! wrote:
If there is snow, just please oh please don't attempt the Les Gets climb from Taninges without equipment (winter tyres, "socks" or chains). Although from Grenoble chances are you'll be on the motorway via Cluses so will hit the Col de Châtillon before - that climb has space to fit the chains

With equipment: when do you have to fit "socks"? Is it obvious? I've been twice with Socks in the boot but no need to put them on, is it obvious when and where you will need to?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zzz wrote:
@Rebelbrowser,

I think you’ll be ok but if it is snowing, and the forecast still seems to be in flux, they will not let you up the road from Taninges to Les Gets without chains or a 4x4 with winter tyres.

would they not let you up in a non 4x4 with winter tyres on?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mother hucker, no. It's chains or 4x4+winters (3msf).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not snowing yet ... but the sky has darkened, and it's cold.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raining in Les Gets now, bottom of village.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think that was forecast but should turn to snow soon
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exactly as forecast
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowing heavily at 1300 now

On the lift with freshly waxed board

Tomorrow morning will be nice, skinning up 8am if anyone wants to join

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 17-01-20 15:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was snowing from halfway up at 1.30. By 2.30 there had been an inch at the top of Mont Chery (poor vis) but I'm back down at Les Perrieres now (in the motorhome) and it's raining moderately hard.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing in Les Gets town now. Was raining for half an hour after we came down but has turned to snow now.

Pistes are in really good condition considering the lack of snow fall previously. This snow should make them even better for tomorrow!
snow conditions
looks like we need to make the most of the next three days as temps / FL's set to rise back up after that
ski holidays
I think there is more snow due in a weeks time so should only help!

Took the beginners onto most blues today. They coped really well and enjoyed most runs apart from the return to town. Might have been a mix of tiredness and rainy conditions for that one though!

More tomorrow!!
ski holidays
Road clearing and piste bashing started a few hours ago in Les Gets. It's been a noisy night.
latest report
We only received around 5-10 cms at 1270m in Chatel from about 4:30 pm. While mid and upper mountain should have received a lot more.

Happy powder birthday @zzz
snow report
@Ozboy, thank you. Just getting myself suited and booted for my annual birthday powder ski Smile
snow report
About 10cms Cham town. Got up to clear drive, not enough for the blower. Went back to bed.
ski holidays
828-A5-D3-B-E900-471-A-9-E0-B-9-CAF1027-B40-C

Ok I’ll get out of bed now, late start
snow report
12-15cm at Les Perrieres (bottom of Les Gets), looking very promising.
ski holidays
Any fresh snow in Morzine? Doesn't look like it from the Pleney webcam. Avoriaz seems to have gotten some? Headed out there on Wednesday...
snow conditions
Not much in Morzine itself, an inch and melting (stood at bottom of Pleney waiting for mates who have just arrived). Don't worry, lovely at the top.
ski holidays
About a foot fell in Avoriaz I reckon, now it's sunshine and blue skies
latest report
Swiss side reporting 30cm high up, Chatel 25cm, Avoriaz 20cm.
snow report
Sounds promising - can't wait!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice skiing today. 30cm of new snow. A bit more in the gulleys. Blue sky's, probably the best day of the season so far.
snow report
@zzz, glad that it worked out and Happy Birthday to you today.
snow report
@Pamski, thanks.
snow report
There wasn't that much new snow at valley level, but it must have been just enough to get one of the long runs down to Grand Paradis / Champery open for the first time this season. Back to sunshine for the new week, before a possible return of more unsettled weather in a week's time, though a bit far off at this stage...

Slightly off topic: I have a few single-day passes to use at the end of the month. Due to website glitches at the time of purchase, three of them are to be picked up from Chatel (Vonnes) and the other from Morgins (Follieuse). Once we've got the passes, how much flexibility is there in terms of where you start your skiing day?
- Chatel passes: presumably I can also start at Pre la Joux, Linga, Super Chatel, Petit Chatel? What about (where we are staying, in) La Chapelle d'Abondance? Or can you just start anywhere on the French side?
- Morgins passes: if the weather's bad on that day and I want to aim for trees, can I start from Corbeau instead of La Follieuse?
latest report
@denfinella, Pretty sure that you can start your Châtel passes in La Chapelle.
snow report
@denfinella, I’m certain your Morgins pass could start on Corbeau
snow conditions
Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the Prodains Express stays open longer during the Snowboxx festival? Trying to work out if I can get home to Morzine without skiing in the dark.
latest report
@pmercer, https://www.morznet.com/lifts/prodains indicates that Fri&Sat nights it's running until midnight.

Although as skiers are only allowed to use it until 5:15pm, I guess that means they ban the carriage of exposed ski equipment... Puzzled
snow conditions
@crosbie, I would expect that they would allow skiers down... or indeed, I'm reasonably sure that the SERMA (who you would imagine was definitive) site allows Avoriaz residents up with skis or not.
snow report
@under a new name, I would have assumed no discrimination too, but "For skiers, the Prodains cable car is open daily from 08:45 until 17:15" gave me pause.

So, maybe you've had a picnic at 5pm halfway down the Crot, and then when you arrive at Prodains at 5:16pm, you find that you're required to leave your skis/board in lockers provided (at cost).

Or maybe, it's just a legal issue, i.e. it officially ceases to be a ski lift.
snow report
Day 3 done for us.
Saturday was about a perfect start to the holiday you could wish, felt like around a foot of fresh powder on the pistes, and beautiful sunshine. Perfect. Had lunch at the snack bar at the bottom of the troncs lift in the Morzine area. Americain Baguette, brilliant!

Can't complain about conditions, albeit, probably better last Jan when I was here, but that's just being picky. The girlfriend started ski school today with New Gen in Morzine, her 2nd week skiing, but our first together, she's absolutely loving her time here. Introduced her to the bakery in Avoriaz, she's sold on it!

Now, all I need to do is find someone looking for an English accountant with minimal French skills (minimal at best), and they'll have my CV shoved at them! Twisted Evil Laughing
latest report
Flying out tomorrow morning for 5 days, looks beautiful !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy