Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
there is no doubt that plenty of things tend to happen during this particular week. Coincidence or not....you decide. There was an English guy a couple of years back complaining that him and his group were victims of an unprovoked attack in a bar in Avoriaz by the gypsies. It’s only Monday and there are already reports of a number of ski thefts from outside the folie and other places.

Look after your gear and be aware but I don’t see any need to not come because of it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WindOfChange wrote:
@shep, Ditto Les Crosets and Planachaux, great at there yesterday.
@crosbie, Pikey week has been a thing in Avoriaz for years.
When we had our restaurant, that week we had loads of stuff stolen - cutlery (Steak Knives) cruet sets, a vase, a picture ....
Many of the (adult) customers could not read, and would get others to read the menus for them, and they did not expect to pay full price.
They lied about what they had had, expected free drinks, and at then end of the meal they gathered round and intimidated my staff while they were trying to collect payment - just an awful experience.
In the end we just put reserved signs on all the tables and I vetted customers as they came through the door, and if I didn't like the cut of their jib, I just said the place was full and reserved for a private function.
Our friends who had a ski shop had loads of sunglasses stolen as well as some pairs rental skis that were outside.
There were so many fights, that the gendarmes drafted in re-enforcements and there was a visible presence outside the bars and club in the evenings.
This is was such a contrast to the rest if the season.
I was always happy once we moved into the end of January.

Sounds like a typical British week to me wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mt wrote:
Should I be concerned about the Roma week thing? We have booked flights but held off booking accommodation because of the dry spell. We are looking for a family holiday and had heard great things about Les Gets as a family destination.

I was there last year for this week, and didn't even realise. It was only a chance meeting of Timc on a chair lift in the Les Gets area that I found out as he told me. Had no issues, and we left skis outside restaurants at lunch etc.

Sounds like I might miss it all this year, as our flight on Friday is after work, so won't be in Morzine before c.11pm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Nelbert75, ski “thefts” outside Folie Douce almost certainly drunken stupidity, not criminality.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My house was burgled this time last year. The robbers only went for the small high value (jewellery etc) stuff. Forced the back door around 6pm which is probably as noisy a time as we have in Morzine town centre. Gendarmes said they knew what they were doing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 14-01-20 8:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This thread has turned very unpleasant, wtf?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree, this thread has become quite discriminatory.
Its not just Porte du Soleil, Pikey’s steal anything not chained down here in Yorkshire too! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Nelbert75, ski “thefts” outside Folie Douce almost certainly drunken stupidity, not criminality.

Case closed. Thanks detective
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll get the thread moving away from thefts!

Decent amount of snow Friday/Saturday forecast, looks like my first day will be a powder day! snowHead Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:

Decent amount of snow Friday/Saturday forecast, looks like my first day will be a powder day! snowHead Twisted Evil

When do you arrive?

I’m there for two days of skiing Friday and Saturday so might miss the full benefits of the fresh snow. But still looking forward to it!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arriving Thursday night..... Planning Saturday/Sunday at Chatel which could be good if the forecasted snow arrives!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like the snow will start Friday evening and not stop until Sunday morning. So hoping Friday is ok conditions and Saturday isn’t a complete whiteout!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
im also out this weekend , luckily staying till last lift Monday , so hoping for some great turns over the three days and some decent viz on Monday Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roscoe wrote:
swskier wrote:

When do you arrive?

I’m there for two days of skiing Friday and Saturday so might miss the full benefits of the fresh snow. But still looking forward to it!!

We arrive late Friday night. 17.50 from Bristol to Geneva, I imagine we will be in resort around 10.30/11pm.

First day skiing being the Saturday, and 9 days skiing taking us through to Sunday 26th, when we get the 21.05 back to Bristol.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the likely Snow accumulations are being dialled down from the numbers being forecast earlier in the week. In any case the lower elevations should benefit from this sbow event and hopefully from a period of snow making next week which has been limited this season.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/chatel/74390
latest report
Still looks ok:
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chatel/6day/bot
If it's gonna snow all day Saturday, I might just go out Sunday, and Monday.
snow report
@WindOfChange, apparently there is a lag in the snowforecast site and is yet to reflect the latest models from today. Time will tell. @polo could probably clear this up. But it will snow on @zzz’s birthday!

Meteo Swiss also playing it down:

latest report
@Ozboy, I did say...Wink
ski holidays
@Ozboy, I did say...Wink
latest report
Ha, was just about to post.....my suspicions were that GFS (snow-forecast) was over-doing it, and now it's finally come into line with the other models, reducing snowfall from 50cm to 10-15cm. Quite a high FL (1500m) Friday afternoon, so will be rain lower down if precip starts by then. Otherwise snow friday evening into saturday, easing off a lot during the day, then sunny and cold into next week (-5 to -10c possible).

The snow-forecast site does update within a few hours of each run, currently says it will update at 14:10, which is about 4 hours after the 06z came out (latest GFS run).
Cham Meteo latest going for 15-25cm towards 1500m.
As long as we get fresh tracks am happy....and staying cold will keep the new snow nice of course into next week.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 14-01-20 13:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
There's a few high clouds today, which is more that the last week or so.
Still sunny with very blue skies. But times they are a changin'.
snow report
Fresh snow is great but at this stage a prolonged period of cold weather will be most welcome in order to secure the lower slopes and home runs for a large part of the season. Arriving Friday lunch and looking forward to fresh tracks sat morning.
ski holidays
Expected surface temps (1200m) mostly below 0c next 2 weeks per GFS
graphe-ens4

Met Office in line with other models average going for 15+cm across Haute Savoie over weekend
xx-model-en-339-0-modgbr-2020011400-144-888-157

Here's a nice link where you can watch the total accumulated precipitation for the Haute Savoie by switching the models and the dates.
EU = ECMF, DE=ICON, US = GFS, CA=GEM, AU=GAS, GB = UKMO

https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/gbr/haute-savoie/accumulated-precipitation/20200120-0000z.html
snow report
@polo, thanks that’s a great site
Which I will bookmark. Is the rain (mm) to snow ratio generally 1:10?

EDIT: don’t worry I found the setting to switch from precipitation to cms of snow accumulation.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, yep approximately, just like all those numbers and pretty colours, approximates.
Different models use varying resolution, but these main ones are very broadscale compared to the shorter term ones (WRF, Arpege, Arome etc).

Above link doesn't show the combined snowline with precip data easily, but in this case it's a cold front, so will drop quickly and stay cold. For snowline estimates, best off looking at the metrociel link
http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions-neige/39984/avoriaz.htm
ski holidays
So it’s likely to fall as rain in town?!
snow report
@Roscoe, it should at first but the snow line will drop overnight. In which village are you staying?
latest report
Am out for the weekend with my son, but have a fractured shoulder, so am just planning on skiing over to Chatel with him for his lessons on both days and then sitting in restaurants. I know I'm being a bit selfish, but I hope the snow doesn't materialise, as I could do without him dragging me off-piste en-route and the snow will ruin his mogul training.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roscoe, depends what time the front arrives.....if before 7pm I would say yes it's possible, certainly wet snow / sleet, but should all turn to snow pretty quickly in the evening
snow report
...so ski Saturday or Sunday? Or just both....
ski holidays
@doddsie, where/when do you meet Pierre for your lessons? I will look out for him and will pop over to say hello if I happen to be in the area.

PS: sorry to hear about the shoulder!
snow report
Pierre is actually away this weekend at the Youth Olympic Games as a Physio for the French team, so he's having lessons with Julien his brother. We meet at the bottom of the Rosees chair, as normally they just lap the black mogul run for 2 hours. This weekend may be different, as they built a mogul course down in Linga last week, so they may go there instead or if there's lots of snow off-piste instead. Lessons are 1-3pm Saturday and 11-1pm Sunday if you're in the vicinity at that time.
snow conditions
@doddsie, okay will look out for Julien.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
I know I'm being a bit selfish, but I hope the snow doesn't materialise.

More than a bit. 3 weeks plus since anything meaningful, hard on piste and the villages are green. It’s desperately required across the area.
ski holidays
@doddsie, while it's not yet anything as bad as spring 1990 when we didn't have snow for the 9 weeks following xmas, that is poor humour. I assume you were trying to be funny ...

Frankly I could not give one whit about your kid's mogul training!
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
@Roscoe, it should at first but the snow line will drop overnight. In which village are you staying?
Les Gets
snow conditions
Meteo France and other auto sites are feeling perky this morning. Some reporting over a foot of snow at higher elevations overnight on Friday into Saturday. Chatel snow accumulation from Meteo France attached. Let’s see how today plays out in terms of yo-yoing figures.

snow report
Im driving from Grenoble to PDS on Saturday afternoon. If there is a big fall on Friday night I think that will be rain at most elevations before you get to PDS, correct? However, if there is some snow lower down and / or there is snow on Saturday (which with Saturdays upper temps looks like snow at most elevations in the area) how do

1. Grenoble Airport and
2. the roads to PDS

tend to handle same? I assume they are so used to it they are pretty efficient at clearing roads / runways etc? Thanks in advance.....
latest report
@Rebelbrowser, I don't t think you need to worry at all - unless perhaps your accommodation is up a tiny, steep road. Firstly, as you say, it should mostly be rain on the drive there. Secondly, it's not a huge amount forecast. Thirdly, the focus of precipitation is on Friday night, so time for the roads to be cleared before Saturday afternoon.
ski holidays
@Rebelbrowser, where in the PDS? Will really depend on the amount of snow we end up getting. Probably wise to carry some chains which can be purchased at petrol stations and supermarkets on route.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy