Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
2 inches of wet snow fell overnight at 1250m, it was rain down at 1100m.
@pdsguy, your drive looks ok though Smile
The kids did Praz de Lys a few years back - I feel ashamed as I have never been in Winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like the forecasts are predicting even more snow from Thursday next week now!

Can any one recommend a good instructor for a 2 hour private lesson next Friday for two beginners?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Roscoe, Not sure where you will be based, but All Mountain Sports in Morzine would be my recommendation and worth a try.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Roscoe, Not sure where you will be based, but All Mountain Sports in Morzine would be my recommendation and worth a try.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wishfulthinker wrote:

Sorry I should have said. We're based on Les Gets, just a stones throw away from the Chavannes Express lift.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Instructor - Lionel @ Synergieski https://www.morzineskimtb.com
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone local able to confirm if much snow has fallen overnight in LG? Flying out for a week on the 18th so all top ups before then are gratefully received
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

@pdsguy, your drive looks ok though

Excellent! Could do without lots of digging on Thursday night...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rebelbrowser, I went up for a slide this morning, doing all the blue runs for Roscoe Very Happy ....easily 5cm fresh squeaky snow. I would say 3cm in the village and 5-6cm above 1400m. Not enough to make the offpiste much fun, but the pistes are in excellent condition
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great, thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo wrote:
@Rebelbrowser, I went up for a slide this morning, doing all the blue runs for Roscoe Very Happy ....easily 5cm fresh squeaky snow. I would say 3cm in the village and 5-6cm above 1400m. Not enough to make the offpiste much fun, but the pistes are in excellent condition

Thanks @polo Laughing Going above and beyond!! Much appreciated!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Roscoe, you haven't seen the video yet.....was still snowing lightly most of the morning, turning to rain at village around midday. Gotta say the only forecast that I read that called this accurately all week was the WRF model. Many others went for none. Link below...also have Arome and GFS pages there, and the diagramme ensembles. I find Arome always understates precip, GFS often overstates it and moves around a lot, worth keeping an eye on all 3 pages, but over time WRF appears the most accurate.

http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions-neige-wrf/27685/les_gets.htm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From Chatelsnowreport:

Expected Snowfall At 1200m: From 7am today until 7am tomorrow:

​Forecast Range: 0cm to 2cm
Forecast Amount: Dusting

Expected Snowfall At 1800m: From 7am today until 7am tomorrow:

Forecast Range: 0cm to 5cm

Forecast Amount: 2cm

That doesn't sound too far out
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right this vid is not my best piece of work......I don't normally record a few cm's of piste sliding, never mind 4mins of it. But it shows how good the conditions are above 1400, and also how sketchy it still is towards 1300m. Went around the new reservoir in the bowl, and also down new Cyclamen piste. It's still not appearing on all the maps, so it is literally empty every time I take it down. Quite long at 2km, there is a very flat part in the middle, but the last section has a series of nice wide corners, before joining forest track back to QG (which is also quite flat). I had to speed up the video a lot towards the end to fit it in....so not great vid quality.

Order of the blues I did are Violette, Reine des Pres (note the family stuck at a little dip at top, so needs speed to get up the other side), Renardiere, Cyclamen, La Croix

CYCLAMEN info
Difficulté : Bleue
Longueur : 2 km
Dénivellation : 340 m
Altitude de départ : 1650 m
Altitude d'arrivée : 1310 m
Pente moyenne : 17 %
Surface : 3.65 ha

http://youtube.com/v/Bm4wc2sk6wI
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@polo, thanks for this. Conditions look better than I was expecting (guessing the little bit of fresh helped!).
latest report
polo wrote:
Right this vid is not my best piece of work......I don't normally record a few cm's of piste sliding, never mind 4mins of it. But it shows how good the conditions are above 1400, and also how sketchy it still is towards 1300m. Went around the new reservoir in the bowl, and also down new Cyclamen piste. It's still not appearing on all the maps, so it is literally empty every time I take it down. Quite long at 2km, there is a very flat part in the middle, but the last section has a series of nice wide corners, before joining forest track back to QG (which is also quite flat). I had to speed up the video a lot towards the end to fit it in....so not great vid quality.

Order of the blues I did are Violette, Reine des Pres (note the family stuck at a little dip at top, so needs speed to get up the other side), Renardiere, Cyclamen, La Croix

CYCLAMEN info
Difficulté : Bleue
Longueur : 2 km
Dénivellation : 340 m
Altitude de départ : 1650 m
Altitude d'arrivée : 1310 m
Pente moyenne : 17 %
Surface : 3.65 ha

http://youtube.com/v/Bm4wc2sk6wI

This is amazing!! Thanks Polo!!
latest report
La la la la la la.....happy to help, the pleasure was mine etc....I think we are going to need more miracles next weekend
ski holidays
Unbelievable amount of people getting stretchered off the mountains yesterday. Constant buzz of snow mobiles (blood wagons) back and forth, saw at least 7 people taken down between 2 and 4pm.

Big crowd of Roma community in town this week. But think it’s just the usual busy weekend crowd skiing too fast on hard slopes. Much quieter and safer mon-fri of course.

Forecast still for snow next Sat, most models now on board, but still disagreement on potential quantities, will have a good idea by Tuesday.
snow report
@polo, any nice chalky stuff up high?
snow report
@Mother hucker, yep Chamossiere was lovely all day, also my kid tells me MC still nice. Best snow tends to be in piles in the middle of steep pistes, or my favourite as a boarder is to hug the piste edge where all the chalky scrappings are.
ski holidays
@polo, helicopter as well from near Indian village just after lunch. Chamossiere was, as you say, brilliant. The runs down to the Atray were hard but good fun with good edges and very quiet. Tulipe was manic. Melezes was quiet. Sat watching the carnage of first day skiers making their way through the moguls on the final pitch of Gentiane.
latest report
@polo, I think that this is the start of "Canada Goose" week.
snow report
bit of decent snow showing up Friday now , fingers crossed
ski holidays
Champoussin Morgins lovely today, Avoriaz waay too crowded, not surprised the blood wagons were busy. What's Canada Goose week?
snow conditions
@shep, a reference to the high end fashion that certain youth like to wear. I don't want to stereotype, but this particular group of visitors come in large numbers, with all the latest brands.
snow report
polo wrote:
@shep, a reference to the high end fashion that certain youth like to wear. I don't want to stereotype, but this particular group of visitors come in large numbers, with all the latest brands.

A local explained to us in Avoriaz last season how the nationalities tended to demographically distribute themselves throughout the season, i.e. French, Brits, Ruskies, etc. I can't remember which weeks saw peaks in which. Puzzled

There's probably also variations due to xmas/easter/school holidays, etc.

Seasonally varying accommodation prices are also going to bias punters by respective budget (especially the new 5 star apartments in Avoriaz).
snow conditions
@crosbie, sounds right, but myself and Timc were referring to the large Roma community that visit PdS early Jan every year....I believe they sometimes head to Avoriaz and Morzine, but LG seems to be the choice (at least for several hundred of them) the last few years
ski holidays
@polo, how do you know they're Roma? Do they all turn up in horse driven caravans? Or do you recognise them by their language? Or, how precisely do you tie their fashion to their ethnicity?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah Yes, I'm aware of the phenomena, just not the fashion reference. I remember handguns being brandished in The Place in Avoriaz, and Guy Dupuis the owner taking them on with a baseball bat... Confused
latest report
@crosbie, language, skin complexion, clothes/fashion, group behaviour.....and the fact that everyone is talking about them
latest report
polo wrote:
@crosbie, language, skin complexion, clothes/fashion, group behaviour.....and the fact that everyone is talking about them

I assume this group does actually engage in winter sports?

Or are they simply visiting one of their traditional stops on their European itinerary, as they've done since time immemorial - before skiing became a leisure activity?
snow report
@crosbie, no idea of the history, but yes they enjoy the slopes as badly as any other group
latest report
@shep, Ditto Les Crosets and Planachaux, great at there yesterday.
@crosbie, Pikey week has been a thing in Avoriaz for years.
When we had our restaurant, that week we had loads of stuff stolen - cutlery (Steak Knives) cruet sets, a vase, a picture ....
Many of the (adult) customers could not read, and would get others to read the menus for them, and they did not expect to pay full price.
They lied about what they had had, expected free drinks, and at then end of the meal they gathered round and intimidated my staff while they were trying to collect payment - just an awful experience.
In the end we just put reserved signs on all the tables and I vetted customers as they came through the door, and if I didn't like the cut of their jib, I just said the place was full and reserved for a private function.
Our friends who had a ski shop had loads of sunglasses stolen as well as some pairs rental skis that were outside.
There were so many fights, that the gendarmes drafted in re-enforcements and there was a visible presence outside the bars and club in the evenings.
This is was such a contrast to the rest if the season.
I was always happy once we moved into the end of January.
snow report
@WindOfChange, an underlying 'them & us' kind of attitude I guess. Confused I don't suppose they contributed in terms of culturally enriching the place during their stay, music, dance, etc.
latest report
@WindOfChange, is it Roma week or fortnight?
ski holidays
@crosbie, TBH I was taken a back the first year.
There seemed to be an expectation that because there was a group of 40 of came to the restaurant, they could do what they liked and pay for as little as they wanted. All though the families were smart enough to arrive in groups of 4, it was clear they were all one big group.
This was one of the worst experiences ever for me, my wife and our staff.

In terms of culturally enriching ... some of the fights drew in a few onlookers, and we got used to drinking from plastic glasses that week.
latest report
@Mt, Used to be 2 weeks, but fewer the 2nd week.
latest report
Amazing snow forecast from Friday! Saturday up to 33cm! Assuming these will be a lot more reliable only 3/4 days out. Great for the piste but maybe not my two days of skiing (fri & sat)
snow report
Should I be concerned about the Roma week thing? We have booked flights but held off booking accommodation because of the dry spell. We are looking for a family holiday and had heard great things about Les Gets as a family destination.
snow report
@Mt, No, I would not worry about it - enjoy your holiday.
They were stealing from business owners like me (not holiday makers), and most of the fights seemed to be between members of the same family.
Outside of that they were way better behaved than groups Uni Students, and there were no issues on the slopes.
IMHO Les Gets is a great resort for families, beginners and intermediate skiers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy