Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
@ski3, A lot of locals and families with pre-teens go up there.
There's some nice off piste to go at on powder days: on both sides of the Col du Graydon, between the trees, and under the gondola.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We used to ski SJD a couple of times a week, and also Praz de Lys similarly(when the road was open) when we were living in Les Gets, particularly at busy times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, we enjoyed it and skied with a niece that was working season in GM.

It seems to me a symptom of general ski area focus from the UK that many of the places smaller than big headline pistes kms get little attention. We've been working around getting to try many of these for quite a few years as we usually drive. There's such a different feel to many that makes it worthwhile, and always eating out local food is a significant part for us.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know Avoriaz and Chatel have had a lot of snow recently. Just wondering what Morzine was like?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've got friends who have rented the same apartment in SJD for halfterm week since their kids were small. They are now late teens but still going. Its a short drive to Morzine or Ardent and the circuit is well worth a trip if in condition
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SJD will be open this weekend btw Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WindOfChange, that's good news. Looks like plenty of snow.
Have to wait until 28th when we arrive at our place there. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can’t wait till our trip 22-26 Jan. Avidly watching webcams every day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bigger than usual set of lifts opening a week early in LG.
Apart from Folliets, they are all staying open (not just weekend). Full opening (Mont Chery, Chamossiere etc) next weekend.

PREVISIONS OUVERTURE REMONTEES MECANIQUES de 9h à 16h

Télécabine des Chavannes
Télésiège de la Croix
Télésiège du Ranfoilly
Télésiège de la Rosta
Téléski de la Tête des Crêts
Téléski de la Mouille au Roi
Tapis des Chavannes
Télésiège des Folliets (uniquement le week-end pour liaison avec Morzine)

karansaraf wrote:
I know Avoriaz and Chatel have had a lot of snow recently. Just wondering what Morzine was like?

Hiked up to Pleney for a look at lunchtime today. More pics below

IMG-8181

https://i.ibb.co/q0x0hhp/IMG-8184.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Tv1tQGk/IMG-8179.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/hL7hgXH/SCREENSHOT-2019-12-12-AT-18-54-41.jpg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo Many thanks for the update. Looking rather promising for next week. We'll be driving up the hill tomorrow evening, could be exciting driving ....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@simonopt, yep am driving up as well via Thonon with a full car about 7pm, looks like heavy snow to below SJD by then
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Btw unfortunately the one beginner in our group for Jan has not had any prep ski lessons in yet so may be limited in terrain they cover. Avoiding buying full lift passes are there any beginner area passes or even free beginner carpets/lifts around CdA / Chatel?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
6 Inches of wet snow this AM at 1250m, but it was raining below 1100m
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
PREVISIONS OUVERTURE REMONTEES MECANIQUES de 9h à 16h

Télécabine des Chavannes
Télésiège de la Croix
Télésiège du Ranfoilly
Télésiège de la Rosta
Téléski de la Tête des Crêts
Téléski de la Mouille au Roi
Tapis des Chavannes
Télésiège des Folliets (uniquement le week-end pour liaison avec Morzine)

Ranfoilly but no Nauchets? Is there a way to get to Chavannes back from the bowl without going all the way down - or is it Ranfoilly + mini climb to top of Nauchets?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Meteo France have now resumed avalanche reports for the season. It’s a 4/5 today for Chablais region.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/haute-savoie/OPP01
snow conditions
Snow down to lac Leman level (400m) tonight, but it won't last long, already some heavy flooding locally. Should be fresh 40cm at village level 1200m by tomorrow morning before it all gets soaked. First lift race is on....I plan to beat the Q with an early skin up Chavannes (20mins)....then into the bowl for first Rosta/Ranfoilly lift.

@patrick!, noticed that too, can only assume they've forgotten to list it. Only alternatives are to ski along the ridge (blue run) from top of Ranfoilly to Chavannes like you said, or take the access track out of the bowl from bottom of Nauchet lift. For those that don't know, it's flat in places through the forest, but doable in 5-6mins on ski's, bringing you back to QG area / Chavannes express.
snow report
Now watching with great interest. Hotel booked Fri 20- Tue 24.
ski holidays
Arrived in La Grande Terche. Fair bit of snow on the ground in resort. Roads were clear. Lets see what tomorrow brings ...
ski holidays
@patrick!, @polo, from what I remember they sometimes didn’t open the Nauchets lift at early opening tine, so as you say it involves either going along the top, or going down the track, it actually has a name now which I have forgotten, which leads down to the village. We often used to take that route down as our chalet was on the way.
snow report
Nauchet was closed, but Ranfoilly and Rosta are running. Such a shame all that fresh light snow got soaked overnight...first hour was ok, but then a hailstorm made it "challenging".
snow report
polo wrote:
Nauchet was closed, but Ranfoilly and Rosta are running. Such a shame all that fresh light snow got soaked overnight...first hour was ok, but then a hailstorm made it "challenging".

hail isnt good what elevation was it hailing up to? that could be a naughty weak layer with some fresh snow on top
latest report
The worst was at 1800m, exposed to the wind. The faster you tried to escape the more it stung.
ski holidays
@polo,
Brave man!
latest report
@zzz, love a good storm....tried to make a video for you but somehow deleted all the footage

I was kinda shocked to see the number of new cannons they've put in, all along the length of the piste under the ranfoilly lift,.....really spoils the natural beauty of the place. I hope they remove them out of season (same big blue cannons as on the last Chavannes vid)

Am thinking of going up mid week....and wondering at what point the snow will have dried out a bit, at least on piste. Was so sticky on the weekend, can only get better, so let me know if anyone up there notices an improvement
snow report
Great day today at La Grande Terche / St Jean d'Aulps. The snow was in pretty good nick and there was nobody about. Going to try Les Gets tomorrow.
snow conditions
Interested to hear. My phone is saying not much more until Friday, and then rain in Morzine. So far it’s looking like Avoriaz to be safe, but won’t all the pre Christmas weekend crowd be thinking the same? Sad
I see also heavy snow during Saturday, not a time I want to start exploring a totally new resort. Maybe I’m forced back to the trees, but lower elevation, at Les Gets?
snow conditions
@Orange200,
Depends on freezing levels when you get to Morzine/Avoriaz but....
Decent tree line skiing in the Avoriaz sector around Les Linderets if it’s a white out.
IF Visabililty OK then great skiing in The pre la Joux and Linga part of Chatel sector.
Jump on Chaux Fleurie lift from Linderets part of Avoriaz to get to PLJ and Linga.
snow report
@Orange200, I fear that with the super warm temps’ and little/no freezing at night, the slopes of Les Gets and Morzine will be trashed by the weekend. The base below 1500m is pretty thin anyway and the föhn isn’t going to help. Sorry, hope I’m wrong.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We skied Les Gets today. Good snow cover, rather nice piste conditions (as things softened a little) and very very quiet.

Even squeezed in a cheeky cake at Le Wetzet restaurant on the Tulipe piste in the Ranfolly area. Recommended stopping point - very friendly staff and not silly expensive.

I reckon the base will easily last the week unless it gets silly warm and/or rains. If you're out next week, then I wouldn't worry as things stand.
snow conditions
Anyone have any experience of the Chalet Hotel Regina?? Booked to stay there for a short weekend trip in January, with the main reason being its central locations to the lifts and apres!
snow report
@Roscoe, it is in a good central location. Friends of our daughter and SIL stayed there a few years ago and said the food was excellent, and he is a bit of a foodie. That is a few years ago now though but hope it all works out. Maybe someone who has been more recently will be able to comment.
snow conditions
Avoriaz today. I skinned from Ardent up to just under the Pointe des Mossettes to see how the legs and lungs were doing. Snow cover very good overall. Anyone out next week really shouldn't worry at all. The snow was hard up high and softer lower down. Some stones next to Lindaret village and lower down on the last bend before Ardent but that's often the case for those two spots.

They were testing the two new lifts that go up that bowl. They are impressive bits of kit.

There were a lot of 'accidents waiting to happen' today. What is it about Avoriaz that the 'out of control and too fast gang' always heads there?

Les Gets again tomorrow we reckon. Including cake at the excellent Le Wetzet, all being well.
ski holidays
@simonopt, agree with all those comments.

Spent the morning in LG bowl, hard pistes until lunch, no wind, practically empty. Much quicker / nicer pistes compared to weeekend, and even some side piste was soft and fun around 1600m. Cover is as good as I’ve seen mid dec for a long time.

Noticed a new restaurant going in on the right as you head into bowl from Chavannes. Great location and a big terrace overlooking bowl I’d guess.

Can’t post a pic as no WiFi for 2 days

Forecast good for weekend .
ski holidays
@polo we saw that restaurant construction yesterday, its a cracking location.

Cover for the time of year is very good. I did a winter as a language assistant in Evian nearly 30 years ago. That season, there was literally no snow in the PDS until February.
latest report
Now in Geneva. My phone says temps falling from now on, and precipitation on Friday. The big question is, will it be rain, sleet or snow.
snow conditions
Raining in Morzine this morning. Not really forecast though.
Snowline looks to be 1000-1300 at the weekend and a fair amount of it.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
@Roscoe, it is in a good central location. Friends of our daughter and SIL stayed there a few years ago and said the food was excellent, and he is a bit of a foodie. That is a few years ago now though but hope it all works out. Maybe someone who has been more recently will be able to comment.

Thanks @Pamski. Its only a weekend trip and we're likely to only be there to get our heads down. But the location was the most appealing factor when booking, so good to have that confirmed.
ski holidays
Snowline will be tricky on Friday evening...could start quite high, 1500m dropping closer to 1000m later. Saturday colder and light showers, Sunday is the big one...looks like heavy snow into monday.
So as usual timing is key at lower levels. Avoriaz been steadily forecast to get 50-60cm by monday.

Here's that new restaurant build (I think)....strange time of year to start. Snow looks a little ropey around there at the moment, best conditions are off Rosta and Ranfoilly and down to Chavannes 1500.

IMG-8189
snow report
@polo, just wondering if would you normally expect less ropey conditions around this time of the year?
snow report
@Ozboy, it just depends. Some years we have stacks of snow by now, others nothing at all. It’s about average this year.
I suspect the reference to ropey was comparing it to last weekend before the arrival of the föhn.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy