Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Roscoe wrote:
A question about lift pass collection in Les Gets.

I've just booked lift passes online for a short trip in January. It mentioned that I will have to collect them from the 'Automate 24/24 - Chavannes'. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm assuming this will be a machine?

We will get to resort late on the Thursday and would be great to collect the passes that night instead of having to join any queues first thing in the morning.
Automate refers to a machine indeed, I hadn't noticed they put one up in Chavannes. There are machines down in the Front de Neige too afaik.

For season passes (via a club) we have been notified to pick up from the 9th only in Maison des Gets - it's still all closed this weekend apparently.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ozboy, looks big, PdS is forecast to be below the 540 dam (pressure thickness) line all day monday, which is usually good enough for steady snow at village level.

Some recent numbers out to tuesday morning at 1200m....ECM 33cm, GFS 50-60, WRF 40-50, Arpege 60-70, which is similar to the normally conservative Met Office chart:

xx-model-en-339-0-modgbr-2019120600-102-888-157

Being conservative, I would expect 40cm by tuesday. Either way, I'm planning to be there with a measuring tape and other essential accessories

@patrick....think the 'Chavannes' automate is the one at the bottom of main Express lift
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
patrick! wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
A question about lift pass collection in Les Gets.

I've just booked lift passes online for a short trip in January. It mentioned that I will have to collect them from the 'Automate 24/24 - Chavannes'. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm assuming this will be a machine?

We will get to resort late on the Thursday and would be great to collect the passes that night instead of having to join any queues first thing in the morning.
Automate refers to a machine indeed, I hadn't noticed they put one up in Chavannes. There are machines down in the Front de Neige too afaik.

For season passes (via a club) we have been notified to pick up from the 9th only in Maison des Gets - it's still all closed this weekend apparently.

Thanks Patrick. The Chavannes was an option I chose as we are staying very near by. Will be good that I'll be able to collect the passes ready for hitting the slopes at first lift!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There has been 2 machines outside the lift office on the Front de Neige underneath the Chavannes lift right by the entrance to Parking du Centre for the last couple of years, who knows if they have moved them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polo, thanks and hope you are able to make the most of it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WindOfChange wrote:
@blueforests, It's on that Facebook page ( in French ).
But also on the PdS website:

Also PdS passes should work. (Depending on where you got them).
Last Saturday in Avoriaz our passes bought in Chatel did not work because Chatel had set start date to Dec 14.
They let us go up the lift, and just said to activate them with the nice lady in the office.
The lady activated them ( by changing the start dates), but also said that between then and the weekend of the 6th, they would contact the other resorts and get them to update their databases to make sure that all passes start date is brought forwards to Dec 1st, to avoid any issues this coming weekend.
Hopefully the other resorts have done this.
Even if they have not it's no great shakes, just take it to one on the main offices (Champery, Prodains top or bottom or Lac De Vonnes) and they'll activate it for you.
See you up there Smile

Thank you! See you up there! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Recent forecasts have been lowering the snow amounts on monday, more like 20cm at village and 30cm higher up, but thurs-friday looking more significant.
Lift opening on Saturday could go either way, with the all important snowline quite high, too far to say, but some worrying output showing up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2 Great days in PdS - A lot more open than expected.
Combes was open as well as Cornebois in Linga opening up more area.
Off piste pretty limited up high as the snow is not really deep, but the satellite was ok.
Also the new Lechere lift station is a bit further from Chaux Fleurie, but there is now an extra bridge across the river to make getting around the plateau easier.

Also La Chapelle Park is starting to take shape:
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that the park they’re building at Cret Beni?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great to get up yesterday, although it turned into a few pistes with mini-shep rather than off-piste.

@Matt1959, WoC is referring to the La Chappelle park in Avoriaz (next to the war memorial chapel), not Chapelle d'Abondance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A question for the locals, how much snow and how low was the snow line so far today? is it still coming down?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shep, Thanks! Not that I’m interested in the park, but I am interested in how much snow there is in La Chapelle D’Abondance!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seen pics today of a few cms down to 1050m in Abondance Valley.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, Think there will be plenty by the time I get there after Christmas
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Matt1959 wrote:
@Ozboy, Think there will be plenty by the time I get there after Christmas

i'll be there before xmas so hoping its down to the town by then
snow report
@Mother hucker, which town? Its currently snowing quite heavily in Chatel and looks set in for the evening night.

@Matt1959, You should get onto the chatelsnowreport.com whatsapp group if you are not already on it.
latest report
@Ozboy, Been thinking about doing just that.
snow report
@Matt1959, Its very good - a plug for Chas who works very hard to keep his supporters updated.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, Morzine
latest report
Ozboy wrote:

@Matt1959, You should get onto the chatelsnowreport.com whatsapp group if you are not already on it.

+1 for Chas. A real nice guy and reports 100% accurately. I think he must take a tape measure on his trail runs!
snow conditions
A decent dusting in Morzine today. About 10cm of heavy snow here at 1066m, stopped for the time being.

Yes, Chas does a great job snowHead
snow report
@Matt1959, this webcam should give you a good idea
https://webcams.valdabondance.com/echelle-neige.jpg
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
Seen pics today of a few cms down to 1050m in Abondance Valley.

There is snow down as low as La Solitude, it has stopped now, but about 9" fell at 1250m yesterday.
latest report
Please sign the petition to help save the Avoriaz half pipe:

http://chng.it/kWPQ9HkRCp
latest report
@Ozboy, why? no one snowboards any more...
ski holidays
Petition signed, thanks Ozboy. My son loved skiing the half pipe.
snow report

Chatel looking great this morning from L’Echo Alpin webcam with more snow on the way. Should bean awesome weekend for those lucky enough to be there.
snow report
La Grande Terche / St Jean d'Aulps looking rather good today - https://www.bergfex.com/st-jean-daulps/webcams/c4216/?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lets just hope we don't get 2 days of heavy rain again just before xmas, like last year.
snow report
Chatel website report depths of 15/115, up from 0/75 so a decent hit yesterday
snow conditions
simonopt wrote:
La Grande Terche / St Jean d'Aulps looking rather good today - https://www.bergfex.com/st-jean-daulps/webcams/c4216/?

does anyone even go up there? last time i was staying that way, i was told its wasnt cost effective to runn tthe lifts in that area
snow report
Thanks to the French strikes, junior had the morning off school, so I drove him up to Les Gets. I would say 25cm fell in town, and 40cm above 1600m.
Snow was really heavy and almost impossible to get going, first run was a disaster, tantrum time, "my skis don't work" etc....despite hiring some brand new fancy planks for the season.
We soon figured out that you had to start on the cat tracks and build a little momentum before even attempting to ride the powder porridge.
Ended up doing 3-4 mini hikes around the usual spot on Chavannes. Of course his new ski's weighed a ton, so was a good work out boot packing up the tracks, and it was also his first time not using a lift.

I'll probably get some flak for allowing him to ski in a tracksuit and a woolly hat.....especially as he managed to catch an edge somehow and pull off a terrific wipe out.
All good though, great fun, deep snow. And he skied all the way down to QG restaurant at 1300m where I picked him up and dropped him back to school.

http://youtube.com/v/cpvikxojCBE

More snow arriving tomorrow evening to low levels (<1000), then Friday looks very heavy snow, still cold, with strong winds...Sat thankfully is not as bad as it was looking a few days ago....some rain from midday to high levels...1800m.
After that, spring returns for at least a week....probably closer to xmas before any chance of next decent snowfall.
snow report
@polo, great vid! Loved the stack Toofy Grin Amazing conditions. Is there a temperature spike on Friday morning or it will stay cold all day?
snow report
Hi guys keeping my fingers crossed for next week. Arriving for first trip to avoriaz on Saturday. Thinking of buying a rock and snow local pass for Sunday and then a 5day pds (hope it's open) pass from Monday. If I buy the rock and snow pass online where / how do I collect it? Presumably once I've got the card from the 1 day pass, I can top it up online on Sunday evening?

All assistance most appreciated
snow conditions
@polo Love the vid and tune. Thanks for posting it. Your boy was obviously taken out by a pesky snow fox grabbing his ski. Cheeky.

Out next week and very much looking forward to it. We usually go to Tignes before Xmas but decided to use our place in La Grande Terche this year instead.

Let's hope it holds up and we can slide in some of our fave spots - LGT, Month Chery and Les Gets.
snow conditions
@polo, that's looks fabulous, very good video quality too, resolution and colour / contrast.
ski holidays
@trolleyed, once you have a card yes you can top up on line

Others, thanks for feedback. I have loads more tunes and days out, but don't want to over-do it either Very Happy
It might warm up a little on Friday morning, big freeze level divergence between GEFS (1600m) and the Op (1100m) on the 12z. ECM/UKMO about 1200-1300m, so no big deal as a lot of snow coming all day Friday but it will eventually finish as rain Saturday lunch below 1800m approx. Looking like Thursday afternoon will be nice, and then it's gortex weather as Bob says for lift opening on Sat.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Seems so. Just invested in significant additional snow making, and it's reasonably busy 1/2 term and Easter last few years. I have not seen the finances but there's no sense of downturn on the ground. Talking to ESF and some locals it seems they remain confident.

Of course you never know, they might put the link in...... rolling eyes
snow report
@paddyDT, St Jean has invested in new lifts in the few years - It replaced the double drag with bits of the old chairlift from Drouzin Le Mont, and they put in the new lift on the Roc of Hell Circuit to bring it into play for a much greater part of the season. The thing that would make a huge difference to the resort as well as the ESF is if they can make small magic carpet run in the area behind the ESF. Currently there is a small Piou Piou garden, but once children are big enough to ski, they need to go up to the plateau.
Morgins used to have 2 lovely nursery slopes in the middle of the village ( both now replaced by fancy chalets / apartments). This created a real family feel in the village, and it meant that non-skiing family members could be part of it, rather than being left to mooch around, or stay in the apartment. There is plenty of space here, it just requires the will and permission of the Mairie as I am sure that the cost of the lift can be found by interested parties.
ski holidays
paddyDT wrote:
@Mother hucker, Seems so. Just invested in significant additional snow making, and it's reasonably busy 1/2 term and Easter last few years. I have not seen the finances but there's no sense of downturn on the ground. Talking to ESF and some locals it seems they remain confident.

Of course you never know, they might put the link in...... rolling eyes

We were last there 3 years ago. It seemed to be well organised / run and a decent size to ski (guess it's always poorly compared to mileage in PdS) . It was mid march and we went round for a day from GM area to have a look.
Principal entry lift is fairly modern, village very well maintained, good meeting point up on plateau with places to eat, all looked fairly well established. Mostly all tree line skiing with decent variety of slope, mostly without huge gradient so suitable for families. Some great runs nevertheless to make it worthwhile going there.

I'd say ideal for family on a budget for a decent weeks skiing, especially if it's early years learning to ski as pace/space would suit well. Seemed a reasonable amount of people there even later in season when we visited.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy