Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
@glenncz, sure, just PM the day before. The fresher the snow is the more likely I’ll be sliding around. No interest in boiler plate pistes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's dumping down right now at 1250m - might take a snow-check today unless it clears up a bit. (All the stuff thats open in Avoriaz and Les Crosets is above the tree line).

@polo, Like you said it can get busy at pinch points, and the queue at lift pass sales point in Prodains was huge.
You have to remember though that SERMA does not open its sales points normally until the start of the season unlike Chatel where Lac de Vonnes is open daily from November 1st. So many people in the queue at the bottom were buying / collecting / season passes & Days out tickets etc.. / changing magnetic cards that no longer worked / buying insurance etc ... as yesterday was the time the lift pass office was open.
Lots of these people did not venture up on the hill.
This has been our experience since we moved here in 2005, that the Prodains lift office is best avoided on opening day Smile

LG looks amazing at the moment, I can see why you guys skinned up there.
I took your lead and tried to upload a video (but without knowing how to add fancy music / edit etc..)

http://youtube.com/v/MZogdNMAqUM

The clip is just middle son jibbing around in at the side of the Piste in Chavanette, and like the other pics, there's very few other people around once you get up & out. And I suspect there will be even fewer today Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, a little head-first stacking at the end?

Nice shot on Mont Chery webcam this morning.....my next mission, avi gear packed.

SCREENSHOT-2019-12-02-AT-10-49-33
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@polo, Attempted front flip into deep snow but crap dad missed it on camera Smile

Mont Chery looks awesome.
You going down the back through the trees or will you stay on the face?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrs Shep used to work in that hut snowHead Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@shep, I'd do it for free.
@WindOfChange, probably the front, I've never skinned all the way up yet. Although the snow will be better of course on the north facing side, maybe I can drive around to Ecrenaz and start there. Ok, that's 2 separate missions, won't be any time left for christmas shopping.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happy Days --- Happy Valley Open this weekend.
( Plus a bunch of other stuff )
https://www.chatel.com/ouverture-partielle-du-domaine-skiable-le-week-end-des-7-et-8-decembre-2019.html
It looks like more here than the Avoriaz sector last weekend and more than Verbier the weekend before Smile

---Time to fill those shark bites from Verbier---

Looking deeper into the Chatel site, there is a strange ( well to me anyhow ) offer :
Le forfait de ski journée sera offert à toutes les skieuses accompagnées !
Those who identify as female can get free day passes at the weekend if accompanied by a paying companion?
- What about accompanied blokes and non-binaries ?

Also

Tarifs,,,,,,,,Adulte...Enfant..Jeune/Senior
1 jour..........30 €......22 €......27 €
2 jours........60 €......45 €......54 €

I can't see any benefit buying the weekend pass over the daily ones (especially not for kids).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, fill your boots as snow looks quite good above 1500m. Should be an awesome opening weekend but sadly we don’t arrive until the 20th.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ozboy, I'll save some for you Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went up for a quick look today, everything is frozen, trees and off piste. Bashers have been busy wrecking the place on Chavannes and Mont Chery (below).

IMG-8160
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polo, Looks great out today. octothorpJealous
They don't bash much of Chery Nord, so you'll still have that if you don't go to happy valley this weekend.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, the side piste looked tempting, but was predictably crunchy....such a difference from sat/sun. I wasn't the only one flying in off the bashed tracks and immediately wiping out. Did about 10mins.

Tracks make it easier to skin up of course, so haven't ruled out attempt at Chery Nord yet, but time is an issue.

Partial opening planned for 14th dec still here....some of my favourite days have been when only Chavannes Express is open, a short walk over to the untracked Nauchet area, into the bowl, then down the new Cyclamen Blue thru the forest, arrive at lake / QG and back on the lift. Don't tell anyone though, top secret.

Enjoy Chatel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@polo, Sounds like a nice loop.
Do you know if Mt Chery will open as well as Chavannes the weekend of the 14th?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't know, but I doubt it....recent years just see the Chavannes area open one or two weekends before the full area. There definitely isn't enough natural snow cover on either side to ski to the village, but cannons were running to the bottom this morning. Next weeks predicted snow and unknown snowline will fine tune things no doubt.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 3-12-19 19:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All sounding quite positive. Mind you its a long time until we pitch up on 20 December. Fingers crossed.
snow report
@DJL, cold and snowy forecast for the 2 weeks before looks perfect for PdS!

snow conditions
@BobinCH, would you mind posting the link to this weather site? Thanks
ski holidays
Voilà - http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Voilà - http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Merci bien
snow report
Coming for an instructional camp on December 14th for 7 days. I hope there's enough snow around to not be stuck on only a few pistes!!
snow conditions
@karansaraf, where in the PDS is your camp?
ski holidays
It’s Morzine but we have PDS pass so I imagine we’ll be going to Avoriaz for snow if it’s not good down lower. Hopefully snow up there will be good enough!
latest report
@karansaraf, you’ll be fine lots of snow up there. Both Avoriaz and Chatel will be operating that week as will the liaison between the two.
ski holidays
[quote="polo"]@WindOfChange, the side piste looked tempting, but was predictably crunchy....such a difference from sat/sun.
Was it rain crust or sun crust?
snow report
No rain above 1500m, but it was quite damp on Sunday, then froze Monday / Tuesday under clear skies
snow report
This pre-season some of the inter-resort links will be open. Smile
https://www.facebook.com/lesportesdusoleil/photos/a.307542511937/10156900181931938/?type=3
In previous pre-seasons, some links such as Chaux Fleurie have stayed closed until the official PdS opening.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
This pre-season some of the inter-resort links will be open. Smile
https://www.facebook.com/lesportesdusoleil/photos/a.307542511937/10156900181931938/?type=3
In previous pre-seasons, some links such as Chaux Fleurie have stayed closed until the official PdS opening.

Can't seem to see the dates for the inter-resort links on their website at all. Did you managed to find where the info is?

I am also wondering about getting across to other resorts if PdS ski passes arn't available until the 21st.
latest report
@blueforests, It's on that Facebook page ( in French ).
But also on the PdS website:

Also PdS passes should work. (Depending on where you got them).
Last Saturday in Avoriaz our passes bought in Chatel did not work because Chatel had set start date to Dec 14.
They let us go up the lift, and just said to activate them with the nice lady in the office.
The lady activated them ( by changing the start dates), but also said that between then and the weekend of the 6th, they would contact the other resorts and get them to update their databases to make sure that all passes start date is brought forwards to Dec 1st, to avoid any issues this coming weekend.
Hopefully the other resorts have done this.
Even if they have not it's no great shakes, just take it to one on the main offices (Champery, Prodains top or bottom or Lac De Vonnes) and they'll activate it for you.
See you up there Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 4-12-19 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A nice skin up Arare and some rather nice pitches of nice snow on way down when aspect favourable. snowHead
snow report
Nice lady in the Les Gets tourist office pass office activated my €500 pds pass (bought on the Avoriaz site in April) today, whilst buying mini-Shep's season pass. I'm hoping to get up to Happy/Hidden Valleys on Saturday, but will it be a shark-fest do you think Puzzled ??
snow report
@shep, Lucky, in previous seasons the early opening dates had specifically excluded the use of season passes.
ski holidays
Are there any live / video webcams that cover Chatel does anyone know?
snow report
@shep, Sorry I didn't pop in, need to get you into touring... I have new boots with funny holes in the toes... Seemed to be a lot of snow around
snow conditions
shep wrote:
I'm hoping to get up to Happy/Hidden Valleys on Saturday, but will it be a shark-fest do you think Puzzled ??

Me too, though you'll get your tracks 1st as I have to get studded tyres done first thing Saturday.
Hope there's not too many sharks as I spent a hour last night ptexing the bites I got in Verbier 2 weekends ago.
@red 27
Webcams
https://www.skaping.com/chatel/rochassons
http://bit.ly/2P43LFH
https://www.skiinfo.fr/alpes-du-nord/chatel/webcams.html?id=1943
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@shep, Sorry I didn't pop in, need to get you into touring... I have new boots with funny holes in the toes... Seemed to be a lot of snow around

That might take a while, ski-time still too precious to ponce around walking up!! wink

Oh yes I've seen those, they're the ones your gear-head mates have, when they expect you to hang around on a lift-serviced day, whilst they faff with iced-up holes and skis that drop off unexpectedly...

WOC, thanks for the cam links, looks like discretion might be the better part of valour, especially the traverse into hidden valley Shocked . Maybe I'll stick to the sides of the pistes until the next dump Embarassed
snow report
@shep, not quite, mine work with my normal bindings as well so no more faffing around than usual Happy
ski holidays
@red 27,
Quote:

Are there any live / video webcams that cover Chatel does anyone know?

https://en.chatel.com/webcams-winter.html
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@shep, not quite, mine work with my normal bindings as well so no more faffing around than usual Happy

LOL! Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
A question about lift pass collection in Les Gets.

I've just booked lift passes online for a short trip in January. It mentioned that I will have to collect them from the 'Automate 24/24 - Chavannes'. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm assuming this will be a machine?

We will get to resort late on the Thursday and would be great to collect the passes that night instead of having to join any queues first thing in the morning.
ski holidays
@polo, What is your feeling on the next weather system expected to arrive on Sunday? These seems to be an air of optimism building among various forecasts
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy