Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Or you could just link to it http://en.portesdusoleil.com/prices/liftpass-deals/all-offers.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz announced that it will open Saturday and Sunday.

8 pistes
- bleue d'Arare
- bleue du Lac
- snowpark (Pisted)
- Blanchot
- bleue de Chavanette
- les Lanches
- la Crête
- Boulevard des Skieurs

4 Lifts
- Téléphérique des Prodains
- Télésièges Lac-Intrêts
- Télésiège Choucas
- Télésiège Tour

Access will be via Prodains, as Ardent is not open yet.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-11-19 11:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@friet, my post achieved the same result, and I was posting in a hurry from my phone, where it takes longer to paste a hyperlink.

Whereas your post came across as rude.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ozboy wrote:
I am also looking forward to seeing the run that will be built in the open area under the chair to take skiers directly back to the Super Chatel area which should be be a good upgrade to this sector.

Noooooooooooo. That used to be a good, safe, powder area if you could catch it in the 30 mins before it got skied out.

I like the crappy lifts in Super Châtel. They keep the unknowing crowds migrating towards Avoriaz.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snoozeboy, They have delayed building the new run until next summer which is when they are hoping to upgrade TS Conche. Plans are to extend the lift up to the top of the ridge to ease access to Chalet Neuf sector. This could mean that crowds bypass Morclan altogether and wont be lured to Barbossine / Torgon sectors via TK Onnaz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snoozeboy, I'm with you the longer the crappy lifts continue the better! @Ozboy, I would however like the Conche to be replaced cos that's just a pain especially when you meet half a dozen ski schools at the bottom and you've got to negotiate your kit plus a seven year old knowing the arrival isn't the easiest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alj, The red down to Conche is one of my favourite runs in the PDS - often uncrowded and can go quite fast on good snow on skier's right. The lift however is a 15 min ordeal which a modern 4 seater will probably double its hourly capacity. Its bound to be popular with ski schools.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If there's a big queue at Conche, you can just carry on down for another 45 seconds and then get the gondola back up:)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WindOfChange wrote:
If there's a big queue at Conche, you can just carry on down for another 45 seconds and then get the gondola back up:)

Very good point which I've never really considered and probably quicker even without a queue.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can anyone with Les Gets knowledge let me know if there is a easy route from La Turche over to the main lifts? We are staying at Hotel La Grande Laniere but have two beginners with us. Is the runs from to top of the button lift ok for them?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Roscoe, From the top of the drag TK La Turche take the blue piste Renardiere to the Nauchets Express chair followed by the blue Gentiane piste to the centre. None of this is particularly difficult, the only section which can catch people out late in the day is the last short piece down to the Chavannes chair.
Here's a link to a Google street view of the Renardiere piste so you can check it out before you get there
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.139344,6.6727417,3a,75y,93.5h,55.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5-EkWCrYip5UGh1WZGUluA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (Copy and paste the whole link not just the hyperlinked part)
If you are not sure then there is a shuttle bus from Turche to Chavannes

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 27-11-19 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm assuming their lessons start at the top of the Chavannes Express. From the drag lift, you'll join the blue run down to the bowl, from there you can take the Nauchets Express chair, and you can use the blue run straight down to the meeting point, or the green zone debutants.

If they're absolute beginners, it's hard to say any run is "easy". When our kids were little, we just started by getting the bus from La Turche, which takes you to the bottom of the Chavannes Express and got the lift up to the lessons. For people who can ski, it's definitely easy, but to a beginner, that's very difficult to gauge.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It has been raining hard for the last 24hrs. It was hard to see the snow line this morning from Morzine town so I’m guessing it fell as rain to about 1600m. The snow line is lowering this afternoon and looks to be 1400ish.
The forecasts are suggesting close to a meter of snow at 1800m so that bodes well for the Avoriaz opening this weekend. It will take a much colder snowy spell for Morzine and Les Gets to open.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zzz, is it snowing now down in the town?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nope, and unlikely to according to the forecast. I’d estimate the snow line was in the region of 1200-1300m at nightfall. Forecast to snow tomorrow to the same sort of levels and then down to 1000m or so on Sunday. Cold weather to follow that.
latest report
Eight one day PDS passes bought for the price of four. Result !
snow report
@BergenBergen, well done you. Smile

Which website did you buy it through? It doesn't seem to be working for me (Chatel / La Chapelle)
latest report
It was snowing here at 1250m, but that has become gentle rain in the last hour.
Avoriaz should be great tomorrow.
ski holidays
@denfinella,

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/prices/liftpass-deals/black-friday.html
latest report
@denfinella, Did it in the Chatel site. Select PDS pass, 1 day, date, then add passes for two adults. One of the passes will be priced at 0 EUR.
snow conditions
Hi, just getting the day passes for PDS. Is there a way of not paying the 3 euros each time for a new card?
snow conditions
@Snow Plow, if you have cards, the number is on the bottom.
latest report
I'm having some success on the Chatel site, but the mobile site (I'm out of the house) is very glitchy. I've now managed to get 2 out of 4 pairs of passes, with unsuccessful attempts in between.

The La Chapelle site isn't taking off the discount at all.

Edit: all 4 pairs successfully purchased now. The last obstacle was that the offer wasn't working for 31st January (which I wanted to use as our last day), so ended up picking another day.
ski holidays
ive just got my season passes through. whats the story with the verbs passes, do you just rock up to the lift pass office and trade them in for a day ticket? can you hand over 6 and get a week pass?
latest report
Heard Avoriaz was rammed at the open, and saw some of the queue photos.....still an amazing day I bet for anyone up there. I opted for a skin up in LG with the Mrs...her first ever go at touring, so not used to the skis, and not very used to skiing offpiste. But what a day to start....must be 40-50cm now between 1500 and 1700m...never touched the bottom, even trying with poles.

Made a video, with African chanting for dramatic effect.

http://youtube.com/v/k19A6APt30s
latest report
@polo Many thanks for posting the vid. Out in a couple of weeks time so monitoring things closely. Looks like you had a cracking day out.
snow conditions
There was a big ass queue for people buying passes.
If you already had a (season) pass you could just go on up.
Dunno who told you it was rammed but that was certainly not my experience.
This is the top of Tour looking down Crete:

And this was at the main Lac Interets lift, where the Arare runs and Telepherique funnel in to.

Untracked pow everywhere under big blue skies, and no massive crowds Smile
ski holidays
@polo, @WindOfChange, Off piste without avi gear Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jellylegs wrote:
@polo, @WindOfChange, Off piste without avi gear Shocked Shocked

Not sure if serious

They aren’t off piste. In the season when the lifts are open this is on piste, or just off the side of it in the main routes back to the resort as you can see in the video.
snow report
Avo was, quite expectedly, very busy yesterday - not just the parking and the passes, but the restaurant (and the snack). Hats off to their kitchen for still keeping up.

With the sun and snow it was totally worth it.
snow conditions
polo wrote:

Amazing! Now jealous we did not stop in LG!
I assume you skinned up from Les Chavannes? Thinking of taking the kids for a bit of sledging this afternoon if it stops missing down...
ski holidays
Actually we might find sledging opportunities way under 1500m if it goes on like that...
snow report
polo wrote:
Heard Avoriaz was rammed at the open, and saw some of the queue photos.....still an amazing day I bet for anyone up there. I opted for a skin up in LG with the Mrs...her first ever go at touring, so not used to the skis, and not very used to skiing offpiste. But what a day to start....must be 40-50cm now between 1500 and 1700m...never touched the bottom, even trying with poles.

Nice vid! Enjoyed the chanting wink what was the camera attached to?
latest report
Rammed is a relative, maybe wrong word. Most powder Saturday's Avoriaz is busy at pinch points, but mates sent me pictures of the queue as I don't have season pass for there. Glad you had you lots of untracked fun, what a start, and now it's snowing heavily again to fill them all in.

I could have said LG was rammed, as there were more tourers than I've ever seen before starting at Chavannes.

As Rick points out, we were coming down a blue piste, in the beginners area. Some people say it's too flat to snowboard Very Happy, and you do have straight line over the middle section. Not dismissing the risks, but it's a safe area.
snow report
@BobinCH, ta, I just hold it in my hand on an unextended pole.....like to dip down low for more accurate snow analysis and model verification studies Confused

Easy to point it backwards too.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 1-12-19 9:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@polo, in all fairness, you were off piste... Twisted Evil not secured, not patrolled ... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
As Rick points out, we were coming down a blue piste, in the beginners area. Some people say it's too flat to snowboard Very Happy, and you do have straight line over the middle section. Not dismissing the risks, but it's a safe area.[/quote]

well less than 30°, wearing/using avi gear there would just be for novelty factor.
looked like a good day out, how low down is the snow line now?
do you do much off piste skiing? im gona be spending a fair bit of time out there this season with zero local intel
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, my own opinion, is that we will normally carry our avvy kit whatever as historically, we invariably find ourselves off piste the instant we don’t have it. ...
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, it's been snowing in LG village 1200m on and off for a few weeks already, but obviously melting or getting washed away still. The official website has a village webcam over the ice rink which is handy to judge the snowline, looks great today, with 15cm-20cm possible in town.

Drop me a PM if you or anyone wants to explore the LG area, side of pistes, tree runs etc....am up every weekend and also try to catch every decent snowfall. Chatel and Avoriaz have more open off piste terrain, but as long as the tracks are fresh, and the risks are respected, LG off piste is as much as I need. Some good back country routes to be explored as well with guiding.
latest report
@polo, Hi polo. It' a ways off but I'll be skiing PDS Sat afternoon through Monday 1/24-26, traveling solo from USA. I'm a solid skier and it'd be fun to try to hook up with you Sunday 1/25 if you are around. I'm staying at Champery, but i could likely get to LG by 10:30am.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy