Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camera question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone can advise on a camera- I'm looking for something that can record my session for about an hour and give a good detail footage which can be used for self-analysis. So far I've been using GP H5 Session and shooting 4K and I get a footage like this (note: YT might some compression on the footage, I'm using the file directly on my laptop):

http://youtube.com/v/z2_vvPbdAbU

Unfortunately the detail level is poor- after zooming this in Blender only last 2 turns are clearly visible. Anyone has experience with a classic video camcorder (say Sony HDR-CX405) using for that purpose?

I'd need something like this:
* good quality Wi-Fi, so it can be controlled remotely,
* Zoom ~ x10
* preferably something small

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do you feel that this is a good way to try to improve ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're under exposing. Take a look at the histogram and you'll see you're only using half the available dynamic range.
  • Switch to using ProTune, which has a much higher bit rate and will get the best from the camera.
  • Crank up the exposure compensation
  • "zooming" in post is just throwing information away.

Point-of-View cameras are designed for that one thing. I would think you'll find any video camera a significant improvement on a PoV camera though, for that use. Go for optical zoom (so you don't throw away pixels), look for something with a high bit rate, and exposure compensation.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, cheers- I'll give it a go with ProTune.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy