Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guiding

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just hoping somebody has the info I need as it'll save me trawling through umpteen websites! I hope to go skiing with a friend in Europe (but not France) this coming season. He's content skiing up to lunch then calling it a day afterwards, whilst I like to ski as much of the day that I can. It's therefore useful if there is guiding included in the package, as this is a good way of meeting up with others so I don't end up skiing every afternoon alone. Does anyone know which operators still offer an on-piste guiding service? I know SCGB do but we're not prepared to pay their prices. We went with SKi Miquel last year who provide morning guiding but their choice of resorts is a bit limited. Thanks in anticipation folks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eat Sleep Ski wrote:
on-piste guiding service

Is that even a thing ?

if you do not want to pay a licensed professional, then why not arrange to hook up using the ski-buddy feature of this site and buy them a beer at the end of the day.
Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to just tag along with others in the hotel...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Eat Sleep Ski, when you've decided where/when to go post it up and see who else is there. There is the ski-buddy feature but no idea how widely it's used
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WindOfChange, it certainly used to be back in the 80's with some tour op reps - or maybe she just fancied a day out with a couple of handsome dudes?

BTW eats sleeps and leaves - this isn't really a forum "tech" question - we can move it elsewhere if you say the word...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
some resorts in North America do offer 'orientation' by locals as an unofficial service, not sure if any of the European areas do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bob wrote:
some resorts in North America do offer 'orientation' by locals as an unofficial service, not sure if any of the European areas do.

I don't think you're correct in describing it as an 'unofficial' service - in the places I've been to it's advertised by the lift company (who have the lease on the ski area) and who actively encourage it and give the locals (often retired seniors) a free ski pass in return for them giving up their time to show visitors around the mountain. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did two winters as a resort rep & on-piste guide. Great times. Not sure any countries allow it any more. SCGB use instructors.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could always come on one of the bashes.
No shortage of snowHeads to ski with, drink with, chat with, lunch with etc...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@admin, which is the correct answer
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@admin, which is the correct answer

Indeed, but if lunching is one of the main objectives of Eat Sleep Ski's friend then they can't do much better than going on one or both bashes to the Italian Dolomites (the preBBWUW bash to Alleghe and/or the Birthday Bash to Arabba), great mountain restaurants with great food and reasonable prices. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks folks. Have suggested coming on a bash to my friend tonight. A few questions about the 'bashers' have come to mind:
1. What's the age range / approx average age?
2. What's the approx ratio of pisters / off-pisters?
3. What's the approx ratio of male / female?
I'll not say where we fall on any of these criteria but hope you can appreciate that we wouldn't want to be 'like fish out of water'!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a) Overall range = late teens to early 80's snowHead (Youngest independent was actually 15, oldest so far 84)
40's & 50's are the peak of the bell, with a good number of 30's and 60's and a healthy representation of 20's and 70's. Teens and octogenarians are rarer but not unheard of.
b) Depending on the bash... averages last year: PSB = 47 / S16BB = 53 Others were between these extremes, typically about 50, with the exception of the families bash SFaB2019 = 30.

2. Depends on the bash: SOPiB = 0/100. GnarliBuG = 50/50. Every other bash is predominantly piste skiers of all speeds and abilities, but there's always a cohort up for decent off piste if there is any. At PSB and EoSB we organise lessons including Groups, privates, and clinics for moguls or off-piste and usually guided days.

3. Varies between about 75/25 and 50/50

The bashes have a great record for snowHeads finding their 'happy place'. Whether that's in terms of the speed or distance they want to ski or the amount (of cash or effort) they want to spend on lunch. The groups are, overall, probably bigger than you're used to but with the great communication inherent in the community (as you've already seen on the forum), all this means is that there are more opportunities available for you to discover. There all sorts of little mechanisms, some by design, some by fluke, that allow you to engage with the group as and when and to whatever degree you wish without any pressure to do so.

Anything else?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One thing to note with the Bashes - while in some ways it's a huge group trip that doesn't mean you HAVE to be part of the group 24/7 if you don't want to.

You and your friend just want to ski together as a pair in the mornings? That's fine - nobody will be offended.
Want to just spend your evenings and meals as a pair? That's fine too.
Want to meet up with others to ski with in the afternoon? Either get chatting in the bar the night before and you'll find people happy to meet at X at 1pm, or just ski around on your own after lunch showing your SH bandana until you see someone else with one. Just ski up to them and say "Hello, I've lost my group, mind if I ski with you?" and 99% of the time you'll get a "Sure, the more the merrier!" response.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many thanks for that very useful info. I tried to look at the transfers via the links on the holiday pages (both for Alleghe & Arabba) and they don't work! Just thought someone should know this. Apologies if I'm posting queries at the wrong place but as a newbie user (though I registered ages ago) I'm finding the site a tad hard to navigate.
snow conditions
Eat Sleep Ski wrote:
I tried to look at the transfers via the links on the holiday pages (both for Alleghe & Arabba) and they don't work!

Which links don't work ?
snow conditions
Quote:
I'm finding the site a tad hard to navigate.
Some people have this problem because they are used to sites that are designed purely to sell at them. Obviously, that is not snowHeads' primary purpose.
In effect it would be like finding someone's house 'hard to navigate' because the doors aren't clearly labelled like supermarket aisles with the things you're most required to buy at eye-height.

However snowHeads is quite normally structured for a forum community.
The snowHeads logo at the top of every page will take you to the main menu - like virtually all sites - as will any link that reads "snowHeads Forum Index".
You'll find all info about the bashes in the snowEvents forum.
In there, all current bashes will be at the top of the list, displayed in order of most recently posted to first (normal forum layout).
There is a 'sticky' thread in snowEvents called "Forthcoming snowHeads Events" that details, in the first post, which bashes are planned/confirmed etc.
ski holidays
I like the stranger's house analogy there @admin!
The Ski Civetta site opens from the link on the Alleghe hol info page but the date choice doesn't work. It's set on 4/7/20.
The Arabba Fodom site opens from the Arabba hol info page but scrolling down and clicking on Arabba Transfer (box with sketch of bus) just causes the page to re-load.
Perhaps no-one's been maintaining these sites during lockdown.
I'm just trying to get a handle on prices, also times and frequencies to see how they fit in with flight arrivals at VCE.
latest report
Eat Sleep Ski wrote:
I'm just trying to get a handle on prices, also times and frequencies to see how they fit in with flight arrivals at VCE.

Be aware that the main Venice airport is called Venice Marco Polo and most sHs fly into there and meet up in arrivals for the transfer coach. There is another airport called Venice Treviso which I think of the UK carriers only Ryanair fly into. Both airports are served by the transfer services to resort, the Treviso bus leaves 1 hour after the Marco Polo one. Most of the time, it is the same bus calling at both airports. On the occasions we all turn up en mass, they tend to have separate buses due to the numbers.

If you are just doing the 1 week in Alleghe then the transfer service can be booked on the ski civetta transfer website closer to the season, but as you've found it's not yet active. There's no rush to book airport transfers as you can usually book up to the Wednesday before your Saturday UK departure flight, and they put on sufficient coaches for the number of people booked. There's two transfer times available from Venice Marco Polo, the first is usually about 1pm and the second about 6pm. Last year the transfer cost with ski civetta was 45€ return.

If you are doing the 1 week in Arabba (or doing both weeks with the first week in Alleghe followed by the next week in Arabba) then the transfer from Venice Marco Polo is with Arabba Fodom (For those doing both weeks we get dropped off in Alleghe as the bus to Arabba passes through Alleghe). Their transfers leave from the airport usually again about 1pm and the second about 6pm. Last year the transfer cost with Arabba Fodom was 55€ (Arabba is further than Alleghe so that's fair). Madeye-Smiley

P.S: neither of the transfer sites will probably be open for bookings for some time yet but as I said there's absolutely no need to rush, you can certainly book up to just a week before.
Also if you are just doing 1 week then the Alleghe trip is particularly good value as admin has negotiated a deal which includes the local ski area ski pass. snowHead
snow report
I think Neilson were providing a guiding service at their Mountain Collection hotels...

https://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/neilson-mountain-collection/neilson-mountain-experts
snow report
Many thanks, @Alastair Pink & @stephen buck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy