Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Disasterous snow conditions in the Southern Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Bad news. 24 hours of heavy rain/snow that has a very high salt content has ruined what had been the best skiing conditions for 20 years. As far north as Val Thorens any resorts operating without snow canons will have to close. Here in the Serre Chevalier early reports show that the resort owners have managed to salvage 3 of the higher runs including "Casse de Bourf', "Le Aguillette" and "Premier Avril" pistes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chris,
Glad about 1er Avril being saved, one of the better runs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What!!!! I'm heading to les Menuires tonight, please tell me I'll be ok!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chris, very good Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chris, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can someone answer me?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jstw, you're screwed ... bad luck, there's always next season Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chris, carled will be really disappointed. See you next week sometime? We arrive on the 10th.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jstw, les menuires is completely shut down, sorry. the entire snowbase has slid off the mountain I'm afraid... Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you taking the Michael!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jstw, hell no, I live here, I'm looking up at Les Arcs right now and I can barely see a patch of snow anywhere Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bu** wink er, have to get the grass skis out!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got it now the other thread gave it away, i fall for it every year! I'm so gulible! I was so worried, i was about to break down into tears!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
apparently there's a tiny patch left up on the glacier - but thats it!!! Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jstw, Twice! Excellent Smile
snow report
jstw, when you lay your head on your pillow and close your eyes . . . can you hear the gentle hiss of the mud between your ears drying out?

TWICE Shocked ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Well I'm glad it is an Avril Primero!!
latest report
But?!?! Puzzled

Who's kidding!!? Certainly not me or chris Shocked Confused
snow report
what date is it?
snow conditions
PG wrote:
jstw, les menuires is completely shut down, sorry. the entire snowbase has slid off the mountain I'm afraid... Sad

I hope the slide took the whole "village" with it... wink wink wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Oh no! tell me it's not true! Oh well... wink

Did have me going for about a tenth of a second... I was warned by the oher post in the "piste" section though. Chris, I've copied and pasted your post as a "man in the know" to stick on my volleyball club's forum (where most of the group is coming from for our trip). Let's see how many fall for it on Monday morning. Still counts, as I posted it today... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
chris, "high salt content" - come on, you don't want to make it too easy.

Some fine historical April 1st ads for BMW can be found here. I like the one about the tyre pressures, because this has actually made the leap from whimsy to reality!
ski holidays
Good one - for a moment I was filled with a mixture of horror and schadenfreude (sp?)
ski holidays
... which doesn't sound like a tasty lunch.
snow report
PG wrote:
jstw, les menuires is completely shut down, sorry. the entire snowbase has slid off the mountain I'm afraid... :(

and you think he's joking?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 2-04-06 11:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
davidof, Wow - gave up trying to count the slides. Were they natural or induced by explosives?
ski holidays
La Clusaz's pisteurs closed the La Balme sector yesterday afternoon after numerous slides - it looked like the above. There were big, full-depth slab slides - in several places encroaching on the (Blue) Bergerie run. Scariest was one big slide slap bang in the middle of the bowl on a hill every man and his kids play on as "between the pistes" stuff (self included on just about every visit to the place). Top chair had been closed all day (most of the week in fact) and thank goodness it had.

And there were still f***wits traversing high on the steep above Torchere to ski that very suspect looking pitch - having just been told the run was closing due to the risk!

Bummer that this thread is a little too close to the truth - the snow-pack in many places must now be as water-logged and unstable.
snow report
Parts of Portes du Soleil closed earlier this week for same reason too
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Off to see the state of the slopes shortly.

It bucketed it down again yesterday... could be interesting.
snow report
Just back - I have some photos of a huge slide, induced I might add, that closed the Villaroger side of Les Arcs all day on Friday. When I get myself sorted out from the trip back yesterday I will post them.

There was evidence of avalanches almost everywhere you looked and some had encroached the piste.
ski holidays
CP wrote:
Just back - I have some photos of a huge slide, induced I might add, that closed the Villaroger side of Les Arcs all day on Friday. When I get myself sorted out from the trip back yesterday I will post them.

There was evidence of avalanches almost everywhere you looked and some had encroached the piste.

Fortunately I got down to Villaroger on the Thursday. Pistes at the bottom were looking a bit brown then.

It was a funny week in Les Arcs. Started off really sunny on Sunday - which caught a few out who were not wearing sun cream. Mid week we had snow and poor visibility. This was followed by rain later on but snow up high. On the Friday we skied a piste that had been encroached by an avalanche, it had just opened about 11 o'clockish. Good snow on it and plenty of fresh stuff still available elsewhere too. In the afternoon it got really slushy low down. It is really tiring stuff to ski through.

Still good depths of snow though.
snow report
kuwait_ian wrote:
davidof, Wow - gave up trying to count the slides. Were they natural or induced by explosives?

I think most were triggered by explosives but a lot would have come down anyway. We accidentally encroached onto the pistes at Chamrousse yesterday. Talk about apocalypse snow - the resort, which was posting 70/135cm snow depths was like a scene from a disaster movie. Waterlogged pistes that had not been prepared, hardly anyone around, a lone cable car making the return trip to the top of the resort in 100km/h winds. A few people huddled in the summit cafe. I don't know whether they just did not' expect anyone to ski but the conditions would have been downright dangerous on the pistes we saw. The conditions looked more like the end of april rather than the start.

Still anyone skiing above 2200 m will have good conditions today. I wouldn't venture much lower down though with the buckets of rain and warm temperatures over the last two weeks.
ski holidays
Latchigo, This one?
ski holidays
CP wrote:
Latchigo, This one?

No the avalanche was on my right hand side going down. It was a red run but I was with the Ski Club at the time and did not pay too much attention to the name of the run . Might have been the top of Plagnette, or Bois de l'Ours lifts.

Going back over it there was a sodding great hole at the top and a crack at the side. Someone said after explosions the pisteurs jump on the spot to test it further. Sounded a bit dodgy to me.
ski holidays
davidof, It got a little soft today down towards Arc 1600 as the day wore on, but conditions were pretty good really. As you suggest some nice powder above 2000, but we still managed to ski down to around 1800 in some rather heavy powder off piste before it got a little too much to bear. Below that we were hitting patches of snow between the trees that felt like skiing into glue.

CP, Latchigo, skied through the remains of the Villaroger slide this morning. Pretty huge as you say CP. Still perfectly skiable except for the last couple of hundred metres down to Villaroger - a bit brown. Still, it is April, what do you expect at 1200m! Yes, plenty of evidence of big avalanches all around the 2000 basin. Fortunately last night's snow has made it look white again!
ski holidays
Oh boy... thankyou so much Chris... did I ever get a bite when I posted this on my forum... from an entirely unexpected source as well. A bloke that is famous for doing April Fool's and wind-ups is coming on the ski trip next week. All through the last weeks of snow condition, temperatures and so on discussions he's been all, "I don't see why you keep discussing it, we're going anyway, it'll be fine, chill out..."

Then I posted the message from Chris on the forum as "bad news - look what someone who lives in the resort has said..." and this bloke got hold of the hook BIG time and was texting me in an entirely distraught state... we kept him going for ages before letting him in on it. He'd even rang his ski instructor mate in France who said he didn't know the area in question, but that a salt-laden rainfall would indeed have devastating effects, so as far as he was concerned it sounded entirely plausible...

Quite how he failed to spot the reference to the "premier Avril" run is a bit beyond me... Very Happy

So top marks Chris - the fallout from your original post continues to spread...
snow report
Friend of mine has just texted me this minute from La Plagne and I quote " Dump! Massive, powder everywhere"

He always does this and it makes me jealous so make of that what you will..
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Friend of mine has just texted me this minute from La Plagne and I quote " Dump! Massive, powder everywhere"

He always does this and it makes me jealous so make of that what you will..

More snow in La Plagne today than there has been all season, at least at altitude.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,

He is a bug***...!! He always does this with late season snow....never happens when I ski with him early on....

&(*%%$^££""??>...Grrrrrr!!!!
latest report
JT, I suppose you could send a reply to ask if he's been rained on? Standing on top of 3m of snow might be desirable, but the fun factor is reduced if its raining!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy