Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire dilemma from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
January 2020, 8 days from Geneva airport. Who would you go for?

1. Reputable car hire company from the Swiss side for about £230
2. Hire with Keddy (Europcar budget brand) from the French side (no winter tyres or chains) for £85.
3. Do nothing and wait for a better price for option 1.

Usually I'd avoid the French side for obvious reasons but I've been waiting to bite for a few months and that's a *huge* price difference. Last year we paid £140 from the Swiss side including winter tyres & chains, but haven't seen anything close to that this year.

Resort is Abondance, so no high access roads and also no need to use the Swiss motorway. However we will be driving to different resorts around the Chablais during the week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1..... Esp if your driving around different resorts around the Chablais.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@denfinella, 1.
Doesn’t look a bad price to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you book 1. with a free cancellation then look again after Oct 31 ? Price looks like what i'd expect to pay
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£85 is a suspiciously low price
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
£85 is a suspiciously low price
I agree. I've been hiring cars from GVA for many years and have never come close to that price for a week's hire. I'd only consider booking at that rate if I had a backup plan that I could use if £85 for the 8-day hire turned out to be too good to be true.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The reviews for Keddy on trustpilot don't look very favourable
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winter tyres will be compulsory in the French Alps next season , new law , so I suspect the car will have them on so you will be charged or you might be lucky and not or the car won’t have them on but you won't be able to drive to your ski stations .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had this choice a couple of years ago on a last minute long weekend to Avoriaz. Tons of snow was forecast but there was such a difference in price, my head was turned! I hired from the French side but bought a set of snow socks from eBay for a tenner before I went. It chucked down with snow while we were there so we had to dig the car out of the Prodains car park on the final morning and put the socks on (which was more tricky than anticipated as they kept firing off as the tyres spun on the ice - we jacked the car up in the end!). There was snow on the road until half way down to the lake and they worked brilliantly. A bit of a palaver but saved a few quid. Not sure if the rule change would allow it now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:

2. Hire with Keddy (Europcar budget brand) from the French side (no winter tyres or chains) for £85.

You’ll need winter tyres surely? I wouldn’t go anywhere near the mountains without them.

Either way I’d book now as the price for 1. looks ok
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Winter tyres will be compulsory in the French Alps next season , new law ,

@Themasterpiece, They have no choice it’s the law and the Gendarmes will no doubt be imposing it .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 21-07-19 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rob Mackley wrote:
Quote:

Winter tyres will be compulsory in the French Alps next season , new law ,

@Themasterpiece, They have no choice it’s the law and the Gendarmes will do doubt be imposing it .

or chains, or snow socks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My question is 'How much is the whole holiday costing? Is the risks consequent to not having winter tyres or chains worth the £145 saving?. The risks being, among others

The snow socks you take over don't fit.
Your flight's delayed and no local sock/chain outlets are open.
You actually need winter tyres.
You actually need snow chains.
The car you're given can't actually take snow chains anyway.
The Gendarmarie say that without winter tyres you can't progress.
As well as the usual 'is it cheap because it's cheap, or because I actually have to trek miles to/from an off-site compound?'
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, It is a road trip. Being able to just get in the car and set off with winter tyres makes planning a lot easier than if you have to factor in time to fit and remove chains a few times.
snow report
@LaForet, All valid points except maybe the car location thing. I hired a car from Geneva french side, admittedly a couple of years ago, that was from a "europcar cheapie division". Cannot remember which one but it was the same desk as europcar and the car was with all the others in the multistorey that you walk to from the desks.
£85 sounds suspiciously cheap for a Geneva airport hire anyway though, whoever it's with.
snow report
6 months until January, they won't run out of cars, don't worry. On October you can call to cheap company and ask about tires in January, will they be putting winter tires on their fleet, or equip cars with socks/chains to make cars legal on the road. I remember last year on November there was all fleet available in GVA airport for middle of January, and prices +- same as summer.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 21-07-19 20:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thanks all, lots of good points. I think you're probably right that option 1 is the most sensible, even if it seems a lot of money to me. I'm guessing £140 from the Swiss side was just an unusually good deal last year and we're unlikely to get close to it again?

To answer some of your specific comments (I realise I'm playing devil's advocate with some of them!)...

@@247snowman, yes, think this is what swings it for me.

@BergenBergen, re. free cancellation: possibly - will investigate. Re. trustpilot - yes, though reviews are pretty bad for almost all the hire companies on there!

@pam w, @skitow, for Geneva / Switzerland, yes it is suspiciously cheap. However it is comparable to past trips from Italian airports, which have included snow chains (but not winter tyres). And it's through Autoeurope, and Keddy aren't a completely unknown brand. I've never hired from the French side of Geneva before so I don't know how much it normally costs.

@Rob Mackley, good point - I'd forgotten about the new law coming in. As well as the Alps, will it apply to the area that the (French side of the) airport is in? If so, surely they couldn't sell me a car which is illegal to drive? So they'd be required to provide the winter tyres by law?

@Klamm Franzer, sounds like you were a bit lucky. I don't think I'd make the same decision if "tons of snow" was forecast Toofy Grin of course, it's always a possibility... though Abondance is only at about 950 metres.

@Themasterpiece, you're probably right, though personally we've only had them fitted once (from Geneva last year) - on other occasions, we've been hiring from Italy with summer tyres and chains (which we've never used).

@LaForet, the whole holiday will likely be costing about £1500, including everything (food, travel to airport in UK, etc.). So the difference of ~£150 does add ~10% to the total holiday cost. There's certainly a risk, but is it worth paying that much more for? Some of your specific risks don't apply however: 1. we'd buy chains in France. 2. our flight arrives about 10am, so it's extremely unlikely to be delayed so much that we can't buy chains locally. 3. fair enough! 4. see no. 1. 5. is this really likely on a small hire car? 6. probably fair enough given the new laws, but Abondance is particularly low, and so are the access roads 7. I suspect not, because Keddy cars are from the same fleet as Europcar.

@rjs, @kosmoz, fair points.

Just to confirm, if we were heading to somewhere like Val Thorens or the difference in cost was less then it'd be a no brainer. But Abondance is unusually low, and has unusually low access roads - the approach is all along a valley bottom. How common is heavy, lying snow on roads below 900 metres in the Chablais? Assuming I can buy chains locally, we're really comparing ~£115 for a car with summer tyres and chains, or £230 for a car with winter tyres (and probably chains).
ski holidays
@denfinella, You are unlikely to face snowy roads (but can never be sure) but winter tyres are not just about driving in snow - they offer better safety performance (stopping, grip) when driving cold winter conditions when compared to summer tyres. The valleys in the Chablais often experience temperature inversions and get very cold and icey and the roads to the smaller resorts such as Bernex are narrow and twisty. c. £115 does not seem to be that much of a difference when all things are considered including safety and dealing with a better car rental company. Renting on the Swiss side also gives you the option to drive to Val d'Abordance via the Swiss motorway which can be quickly and more relaxing.
latest report
You could well be charged a "winterisation" fee on top of what you've been quoted. I bet that price won't hold.
snow report
This was the road between Bernex and Abondance end of Jan 2019. The roads do get ploughed quite quickly but i believe they are using less salt/grit than they used to so they are never slush free. Also I think the bigger problem is getting the car out of the carpark and having to use chains just to do that as they get ploughed when the farmer gets around to it. As you are planning a road trip you will appreciate the snow tyres as you can just get up and go.

snow conditions
Just to be constructive - @denfinella have you access to your employer's travel company for personal rentals? Or any sort of professional association discount? I worked for a mulitnational previously, and discovered our corporate travel agents were perfectly happy to make private bookings and could get really great rates (you need to be up-front that it's a personal booking because of cover, but it was still cheaper than any internet rate I could find). I also get 20% off Hertz as an IoD member, and I know that quite a few professional associations have similar arrangements.

The off-site thing is more generic: a friend of mine last year got what looked like a great rate and then on return, found that it involved returning his car to Ferney Voltaire, although he'd picked it up at GVA French side. He's been hiring from GVA for years and just assumed that if you specify Cointrin pick-up then it'll also be the same return location. So always worth double-checking the fine print. Not such a big deal if you know, but he almost missed his 'plane thanks to the extra time to drive there and walk (yes, no shuttle) back.

Re. small cars: This is just on the basis of what Hertz did for a couple of years and then gave up on - which is to have small Smart-class cars with summer tyres on for purely local driving. They looked like a real bargain, because they were not intended to be taken up into the mountains. I hired one once and when I asked for chains they basically said that the car wasn't intended for anything more than local journeys around the city and lakeside, and so I upgraded. So, just be careful this isn't the case.
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
Winter tyres will be compulsory in the French Alps next season , new law , so I suspect the car will have them on so you will be charged or you might be lucky and not or the car won’t have them on but you won't be able to drive to your ski stations .

Does anyone know if the French have released the detail of this law yet? The last I saw they would be complusory in mountain area...but the exact definition of where these areas were had not been established.

The French side of Geneva airport isn't really THAT much of a mountain area, so may fall outside the new French law. Your resort WILL be in the area though, so will you turn up with you're pre-pair £85 voucher, get asked where you're going and be told "Oh, the new law means you need winter tyres, so you'll need the winterization pack. That's £30/day so that's £240 please...?

This year I'd go with a Swiss car and at least you KNOW it will have winter tyres included in the price, then see what experiences people have with the French side before deciding for next year.
ski holidays
I've done option 2. Completely backfired as there was snow around and I wanted a car that was going to drive properly. The french one was crap for £80 so I upgraded and paid an additional £200. Summary...do option 1.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:

The off-site thing is more generic: a friend of mine last year got what looked like a great rate and then on return, found that it involved returning his car to Ferney Voltaire, although he'd picked it up at GVA French side. He's been hiring from GVA for years and just assumed that if you specify Cointrin pick-up then it'll also be the same return location. So always worth double-checking the fine print. Not such a big deal if you know, but he almost missed his 'plane thanks to the extra time to drive there and walk (yes, no shuttle) back.

Bet he slept on the plane ! It's probably 2 miles+ and that's assuming you can walk along that fenced in road along the border. Done it a few times as a passenger in a minibus after parking my own car in Ferney and it's a few minutes ride.
latest report
Right, Swiss side and winter tyres it is! Thanks all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy