Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ebola

Poster: A snowHead
I assume chances that in another 4 months this will have spread to Europe and disrupting travel are negligible?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Why would it spread to Europe, at all, never mind to any appreciable extent?

2. Why would it disrupt travel?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
peanuthead, the World Health Organisation are giving it some thought. In the meantime, there's probably no point our doing so too. The possibility of ebola disrupting people's ski holidays is probably high on the WHO list of priorities.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 6-08-14 19:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can see it getting to London, I gather plenty of bushmeat is smuggled in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spain are transferring an infected patient to Madrid.

Do Spanish doctors and nurses like to ski?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
peanuthead, given the number of health workers already killed by ebola because of caring for people with the disease, that's probably not the key question. What are you getting at?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The question really isn't of it getting to Europe, but whether it does anything when it does. You'd have to be incredibly unlucky (and probably a health worker) to catch it.

See also, http://qz.com/244745/its-nearly-impossible-to-get-ebola-in-new-york-so-why-is-everyone-freaking-out/ not 100% correct, but a reasonable summary of the risk (i.e., not at all high).

You may substitute almost anywhere in Western Europe for New York and it's the same thing.

Yeah, what are you getting at?

Oh and it was "in" Europe in 1994, notice anything then?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-08-14 21:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would worry more about flu
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bird flu, swine flu, they were both supposed to wipe us out remember, I suspect Ebola will be much the same (OK so no vaccine for this one)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/05/ebola-worrying-disease

Good hygene and avoiding contact with the infected is all you need peanuthead - Do you expect to come into close physical contact with anyone whilst skiing?! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Generally speaking, really nasty, very infectious, viruses are too successful to be successful and kill their hosts too quickly to be truly damaging.

It's why the cold and flu are the biggest killers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
emwmarine, and I have bloody man flu at the moment, in the middle of the summer!! Yes im odd, I know Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The biggest risk with the current outbreak of ebola is that the disease mutates and either becomes less good at killing people or (more likely) finds a way of being transmitted more effectively.

The Gruniad coverage has been very interesting...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avoid skiing in Sierra Leone!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Do you expect to come into close physical contact with anyone whilst skiing?! Laughing

Only with snow boarders who don't watch where they are going and run into you
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Little Martin, Just be sure not to exchange bodily fluids with them then Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Avoid skiing in Sierra Leone

Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Avoid skiing in Sierra Leone

Laughing

They have their very own ski team dont you know!

http://youtube.com/v/caUKE4XDlLw

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I would imagine with a country like the UK and its huge West African immigrant population the chances are very high. Heathrow has more flights to West Africa than any other European Nation. I know BA has suspended some routes but I do not think it is enough until the outbreak is under control . Certainly stop flights to Nigeria.
snow conditions
stanton, It does make me wonder if any flight staff for BA / other companies could sue their respective employer (if they got infected) for flying them into an infected area
latest report
stanton, Shouldn't you be worrying about malaria instead.
snow conditions
stanton, no, the chances are still really, really low.

PaulC1984, You don't get infected by flying into an infected area. You only get infected by body fluid contamination. An interesting paper here. http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/196/Supplement_2/S142.full NB "

Now, if you fly in for work and spend your down time getting all jiggy with anyone vomiting, making frequent loo stops and bleeding from their eyeballs, it's hardly your employer's fault is it?
ski holidays
under a new name, Sorry should have made myself more clear, I understand bodily fluid etc but what about the mile high club wink
snow report
PaulC1984, You can also catch it by eating something infected, fruitbat probably isn't on BA's in flight menu though.
snow report
Dustin Hoffman told me he won't risk skiing this year.
ski holidays
rjs, it could very well be on sleazy jets though!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
I would imagine with a country like the UK and its huge West African immigrant population the chances are very high.

You'd imagine that, yes. Happily, in the real world there are better ways to assess risk than human imagination wink

The chances are remote. If it ever made it here, the chances of it spreading are also remote. You should be more afraid of new strains of the flu, or antibiotic resistant TB.

rjs wrote:
PaulC1984, You can also catch it by eating something infected, fruitbat probably isn't on BA's in flight menu though.

You can contract it from the bodily fluids of infected animals. So unless BA were doing fruitbat sashimi, you'd be fine.
ski holidays
Serriadh, Sounds a nice inflight meal to me!! Perhaps we should suggest it Toofy Grin
snow report
PaulC1984, ah. I still the D & V and the hemorrhagic symptoms might be a little unappealing to most.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ppppfffttt itss nothing compared to man flu, I'm sure we will cope Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

unless BA were doing fruitbat sashimi

only in First Class so most of us should be fine.
snow report
pam w, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
The biggest risk with the current outbreak of ebola is that the disease mutates and either becomes less good at killing people or (more likely) finds a way of being transmitted more effectively.

The Gruniad coverage has been very interesting...

This is the critical point.

Bubonic plague had been around for years prior to the Black Death, but only transmissible through close bodily fluid contact. Then it mutated into a form transmissible by respiratory droplet causing pneumonic form and wiped out half the population of Europe
latest report
peanuthead, yes but the found cures for bubonic plague http://listverse.com/2013/01/21/10-crazy-cures-for-the-black-death/ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
This is the critical point.

Bubonic plague had been around for years prior to the Black Death, but only transmissible through close bodily fluid contact. Then it mutated into a form transmissible by respiratory droplet causing pneumonic form and wiped out half the population of Europe

The pneumonic form isn't a mutation though; its just a way that the infection can progress. Given a large enough body of infected people, it just happens as a natural feature of bacteria-host interaction.

There's perhaps a risk of developing a less rapidly lethal form of ebola - one that takes longer to kill, or remains latent longer sand so can be spread more easily, but that sort of thing doesn't just pop up overnight. Merely jumping the species gap to humans is a pretty tall order, and further development in such an unfriendly environment is tricky, to say the least. Compare to another nasty zoonotic virus, smallpox: it jumped the species gap but didn't change much after that. Nasty flu viruses arise in animals and are hazardous because they jump the species gap and so bring in a fresh set of traits our immune systems are unfamiliar with, not because an existing human-infecting strain mutated all by itself.

The risk of a new flu epidemic arising is much higher, but haemhorragic fevers are so much more unpleasant people worry about them far more than they warrant.
snow conditions
Serriadh, Which leads my back to my point that man flu is worse!! Developed an mutated in women and then passed on to us!
ski holidays
Ebola is already in the UK.
snow report
stanton, feared or confirmed?
snow conditions
By which you presumably mean a few unverified cases who have been quarantined, yes?

There certainly doesn't seem to be any other news out there from the past two days, so unless you have inside knowledge I'm gonna have to go with 'no, ebola probably isn't in the uk'. And if it were, the people involved have been quarantined.

In fact, it looks like there aren't any confirmed cases in Europe, let alone the UK, with the exception of the one Spanish guy who was known to be ill already and sent back for treatment. But, y'know, irrational scaremongering FTW, right?
ski holidays
One (1) [Stanton, to be clear, that's more than none but less than two (2)] unconfirmed (uann> not even "suspected") case - from the oracular Daily Express we hear,

"...confirmed that the unnamed patient from Cardiff... contacted them after feeling ill on their return to British .... They were effectively quarantined in their own home and ... speak to doctors on a daily basis until the threat was deemed to have passed.

Public Health Wales said the patient believed they "may have been exposed" to the virus which has (sad stuff in poor countries)."

Spokesperson ... said: "We have known about this person for the last week - somebody travelled in West Africa and came back a week ago. They identified they may have been exposed to Ebola. The reason we haven't spoken about this before is the individual is not currently a case of ebola."

She said there was "no risk to the public" posed by the quarantined traveller and stressed that the case is unconfirmed."

Redaction by my own fair hand.
latest report
We have palpable proof that BSE is in Holland . . . Though the exchange of bodily fluids would appear to be remote.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy