Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket and trousers

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a new skier. Did my first week last season using mostly borrowed equipment. Based on the advice I read on here I did buy my own boots and got them fitted before the trip (thanks for that!). Am hoping to do 3 weeks altogether in Europe next year. Now looking at getting my own ski wear. What should I be looking for with jackets and trousers? I'm hoping to buy some now and plan to use them for the Snowdome so would like some that are suitable for that too. I don't know if requirements are different between snowdome and resort?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look at Masque’s Newbie Winter Clothing Guide stickied at the top of this forum
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shell jacket and pants, with good ventilation (underarm zips on jackets etc) and layer underneath starting with merino base layers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Amberski, later in the year you'll find that Aldi (and to a lesser extent Lidl) get in some very good value skiwear items e.g thermal underwear, ski socks, gloves, goggles, even helmets. They tend to only have them in their stores for a few days (they sell out quickly!) but if you keep an eye on sHs people usually post a "heads up" when they are about to become available.

The skiwear requirements for snowdome and resort are similar, although as it never gets ultracold or windy inside a snowdome all you'll need there really are a jacket and some skipants, you might well find that a T-shirt under your jacket is all you need as you can get quite warm exerting yourself. You obviously can't wait for buying the jacket and skipants to use in the snowdome, but other places like TKMax often have a good selection of such items at reduced prices. It's some years since I skied at Tamworth, I don't know if they include a free ski helmet in their ski rental (some skidomes insist you wear one and include it in their rental price), but if not I'm sure you can rent one for a small additional amount.Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for all the help. Sorry I can't believe I missed the guide, my blonde moment for the day! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As you obviously intend to ski for a good while. Well done. Make sure you buy good quality wear. Everyone on here will have their own favorite brand. Take all recommendations lightly and make up your own mind what YOU like. Just some names to conjure with. Descent, Columbia, Spyder, Schoffel, Arkteryx, Helly Hanson, Peak Performance. Just a few there are lots more. Nevica is still good value and quality without breaking the bank. Aldi & Lidl usually do a range of ski wear in November at very good prices and can be decent quality. Make sure anything you buy is breathable, water & wind resistant. If you buy a good quality Jacket that is insulated, you can get away with wearing ordinary Polo, crew or roll neck shirts under and little else. No need for the proverbial layering. Good hunting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got a 20,000 water proof and breathability rated jacket from Dare2B (which I know is budget gear) for £56 in the sales and a pair of similar rated trousers from Trespass for £36. They are comfortable and warm, but you can layer up if you need more. Ventilation zips on both. Do the job fine. Mountain Warehouse also do some reasonable priced gear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't overstress it for the first purchase. If you're near a Decathlon that can be a good one stop shop for first time clothing otherwise Tacky Maxx gets ski gear in around late Sept/Oct. Aldi and Lidl great for peripherals like base layers/helmet/googles/gloves - Their outerwear looks a bit gash.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also check out https://www.sportpursuit.com/ for higher-end stuff with big savings. It all depends on your budget. I tend to buy goretex because it can also be used at home in v wet N. Ire, and you know it's well made.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would buy the best that you can afford. Good kit will last a lot longer than cheap kit. I got through countless pairs of Surfaniac pants before biting the bullet and buying some Oakley Goretex kit. I now have a second second set which is a Goretex equivalent, made by Stellar and I alternate between the two.

Both outfits should last 10+ years, even with doing 40+ days a season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker, do you like the Stellar stuff - I am attracted...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Amberski, I second the recommendation for Decathlon. All my gear comes from there. Good value and does the job. I don't much care about all of the technowaffle. I just want to be warm and comfy. I certainly don't bother with loads of layers, I just have insulated gear with vents for warmer days. Job done.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always wear ski pants with two outside leg pockets - I think they are described as ladies boarder pants rather than salopettes - I can get spare spex/sun cream/piste map/spare inner gloves etc. in these pockets rather than carry a backpack which I personally don't like to ski in. I also recommend zippable 'airvents' in both inner leg and inner arm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@bar shaker, do you like the Stellar stuff - I am attracted...

Yes, lots. I bought the Guide range jacket and trousers. It's quality kit and feels much tougher than the typical Goretex Pro shells in S+R/EB. The waterproof performance and breathabilty have been perfect, even in waist deep powder.

The only thing I questioned was the pockets (no hip pockets in the jacket), but the jacket is designed on the basis that you will be wearing an avi bag/rucksack.

I would buy again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski wear is very individual to the person, some of us feel hot at -20 in January, others are shivering at +10 in April.
I don't like the faff of removing / replacing layers so prefer zipped wear that can be opened/closed in seconds
ski holidays
worth looking on sportsdirect
they sometimes get better brands than their own nevica for silly cheap prices. Ive seen Oneill trousers going for less than £10!
TKMaxx in late Autumn as well.
ski holidays
Just a comment: the plainer the colour and style, the more usable a jacket will be at home in the UK as well as on holiday. My plain, black ski jacket is my cold-weather jacket at home as well, and doesn't look out of place (in the right conditions) visiting a customer or in the office.
latest report
@LaForet, While agreeing totally with your point, the flip side is that the more outlandish you look, the easier you are to spot in a sea of skiers wearing sombre colours when visibility isn't great.
latest report
Agree with the above comments. If you are serious about making skiing/boarding a 2/3 year holiday it is worth paying alittle bit more on the important stuff.
Goretex 20l/20l trouser (O'Neil sync are good). Goretex jacket.
And if you struggle with cold hands some wrist gaiters and a reputable glove/mitt like Hestra and Black Diamond.

All the under layers like compression tights and Merino base layers you can buy at Decathalon and Sports Direct.

Buy the important stuff now so you won't have to replace in a couple of years time
snow report
Mountain warehouse have a big clearance sale both in store and on-line, worth having a look. snowHead
latest report
Riccardo wrote:
@LaForet, While agreeing totally with your point, the flip side is that the more outlandish you look, the easier you are to spot in a sea of skiers wearing sombre colours when visibility isn't great.

Decent ski clothing has no (or very little) insulation as it is designed to be worn with technical base layers, when skiing or boarding and getting sweaty. This make it particularly unsuitable for walking around in the British winter.

For the worst of the UK winter my favourites are my big Musto Parka and an 800 fill Stellar puffa jacket. These also make excellent apres coats... for walking around the village.
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
Just a comment: the plainer the colour and style, the more usable a jacket will be at home in the UK as well as on holiday. My plain, black ski jacket is my cold-weather jacket at home as well, and doesn't look out of place (in the right conditions) visiting a customer or in the office.

If you tend to run hot, don't go for dark colours, I find them unbearable when the sun comes out, conversely, if you always feel cold, the dark colour will keep you warm in the sun but loses more heat when it isn't sunny.

+1 for sports direct for some big name bargains, all of my gear and both of my daughters were kitted out from there.

Expensive gear nay (or may not) last longer as long as you are happy to keep the same outfit for many years.
snow conditions
@bar shaker,
Quote:

Decent ski clothing has no (or very little) insulation as it is designed to be worn with technical base layers, when skiing or boarding and getting sweaty.

Not always true. You can buy high quality ski clothing with plenty of insulation. After all downhill skiing is not very energy intensive.
Insulated ski jackets can be very convenient but most people will find them a bit too warm for March and April.
latest report
jedster wrote:
@bar shaker,
Quote:

Decent ski clothing has no (or very little) insulation as it is designed to be worn with technical base layers, when skiing or boarding and getting sweaty.

Not always true. You can buy high quality ski clothing with plenty of insulation. After all downhill skiing is not very energy intensive.
Insulated ski jackets can be very convenient but most people will find them a bit too warm for March and April.

I ski to the end of the season so much prefer to add my own insulation with my layers.
snow conditions
@bar shaker,

Me too but I have an embarrassment of options Embarassed
I tend to use an insulated jacket early season. Shell or soft shell late season and/or touring.
latest report
bar shaker wrote:

good god! fashions change, and that's a thing...
ski holidays
essex wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

good god! fashions change, and that's a thing...

I think the fabrics have changed. Fashions will change but I can't see me wearing the new chrome/foil looking gear as I approach my 60s. Laughing
snow conditions
[/quote]
After all downhill skiing is not very energy intensive.
.[/quote]

Shocked

That depends on how you ski! Join us on an offpiste bash and you may reconsider this. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 sports direct for bargains

also think about the colour, I wear brightly coloured jackets so it is easier to see me in the trees or fog
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy